Author Topic: Bagent enters the portal  (Read 4463 times)

Offline coalherd

Re: Bagent enters the portal
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bagent had his chance to move up to D1. He chose to stay at D2.
    I figure he knows best where he belongs.

Yeah, but another year of lighting up a bunch of D2 foes, and gaudy stats doing so, isn't going to change any NFL assessment of him.  They know all they need to know right now; another year of D2 ball won't change that.
    « Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 10:13:08 PM by coalherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2022, 09:54:54 PM »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2022, 10:37:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• How do we know Marshall didn?t try to get him? We are stupid if we didn?t try.

Think whatever you want but he?s the best college QB in the state right now.

Trickett follows him on twitter as does Grant Taylor.  I am sure Marshall tried.  And they should keep trying until he officially withdraws his name from the portal. 

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2022, 12:51:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i didn't personally check the portal, but media reported on Wed or Thurs that he did, indeed, remove his name from the portal

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Online 2xBison

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2022, 06:57:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• How do we know Marshall didn?t try to get him? We are stupid if we didn?t try.

you can think whatever you want to, but it looks like neither school in the state was that worried about obtaining his services.  he'll never play D1 he'll never play in the league.  forget him.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: SuperAnjario

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2022, 08:26:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • you can think whatever you want to, but it looks like neither school in the state was that worried about obtaining his services.  he'll never play D1 he'll never play in the league.  forget him.

How much you want to bet that he at the very least gets a shot in an NFL camp?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Well, 129, there were a lot of comments on here during Doc's last year or so about how it appeared Doc had little or no interest in recruiting him, nor anyone else apparently from Martinsburg High.  Never saw anything where Huff even mentioned or discussed the possibility.

As for your last sentence, considering the competition, the best QB in the State is not much of an accolade or honor, is it?    :D:
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:31:11 AM by coalherd »

Online 2xBison

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2022, 11:33:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How much you want to bet that he at the very least gets a shot in an NFL camp?
    We?ve had third stringers in camp.  Don?t care.  He isn?t playing in league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2022, 12:47:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We?ve had third stringers in camp.  Don?t care.  He isn?t playing in league.

Lmao? we had exactly two get in camp during the last decade. Litton and Cato.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lmao? we had exactly two get in camp during the last decade. Litton and Cato.

who said anything about limiting it to the last decade?  how about the last 15 years then?  or do we for some reason need your arbitrary time frame?

I wish your knowledge could keep up with your confidence.

Here is a link to Derek Devine.  I believe he was in two NFL camps with no real shot to ever make a team.  Bagent may have a cup of coffee in a camp, maybe not, he won't play he won't be there in the end.  He is a former MU QB that most will not even remember...especially confident ignorant folks.

read the link so you won't be so quick to ignorantly laugh in the future.

https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Derek_Devine
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 02:16:24 PM by 2xBison »
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2022, 03:39:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lmao? no. Pick any time frame you want. Decades are pretty common to go by, we can go back two decades if you want. So 20 years? what 3 guys?

Get serious. Spin it however you want but Bageant would be one of the best QBs we?ve had since Stan Hill any normal person could admit that.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2022, 05:35:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • who said anything about limiting it to the last decade?  how about the last 15 years then?  or do we for some reason need your arbitrary time frame?

Here is a link to Derek Devine.  I believe he was in two NFL camps with no real shot to ever make a team.  Bagent may have a cup of coffee in a camp, maybe not, he won't play he won't be there in the end.  He is a former MU QB that most will not even remember...especially confident ignorant folks.

Devine was friends with Zorne

Online 2xBison

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2022, 06:48:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Devine was friends with Zorne
    I know, it was discussed all over the message boards years ago.  That?s how I knew.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2022, 06:48:00 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2022, 10:44:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know, it was discussed all over the message boards years ago.  That?s how I knew.c.

Hey, Bison.  Wasn't Devine the dude who had, IIRC, the absolutely dropdead gorgeous girlfriend, fiance, etc.?  Seem to recall some pictures of her being around one of those NFL training camps when he was there.  May have been one of the CHIEF reasons Devine stuck with those team(s) as long as he did!  :D

Offline goherd24

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2022, 10:55:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lmao? we had exactly two get in camp during the last decade. Litton and Cato.

What??? Devon Johnson went to camp, knox did, darius hodge, becket, mclain sapp (however you spell it), i know did right off the top of my head. We usually have several every year sign udfa contracts and "get a shot at camp". I know I'm forgetting some.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #114 on: January 22, 2022, 12:31:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What??? Devon Johnson went to camp, knox did, darius hodge, becket, mclain sapp (however you spell it), i know did right off the top of my head. We usually have several every year sign udfa contracts and "get a shot at camp". I know I'm forgetting some.

The conversation was about Bagent being a good enough QB to be invited to an NFL camp after graduating and then it turned to our QBs haven?t been NFL free agent caliber like Bagent except Cato
    and Litton.  It wasn?t about non QBs going to camps.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2022, 09:24:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the last 10 years we've had 4 QBs start significant time. Cato, Litton, Green and Wells.

The following had their cup of coffee in the NFL over that time.
    Cato
    Litton
    Frohnapfel

In the last 10 years there have been 7 QBs to win the Division 2 Harlon Hill award (their Heisman), with Bagent being most recent. As far as I can tell zero were drafted and 3 have had their cup of coffee and 1 plays TE now.

D2 football is so similar to D1 that not a single one of their best possible players (Harlon Hill recipients) have been drafted in 10 years. (That includes one RB and the rest QBs).
    « Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:29:38 AM by HoPPy785 »

The following users thanked this post: goherd24

Online 2xBison

« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The conversation was about Bagent being a good enough QB to be invited to an NFL camp after graduating and then it turned to our QBs haven?t been NFL free agent caliber like Bagent except Cato
    and Litton.  It wasn?t about non QBs going to camps.
    The conversation was about Bagent never playing D1 or the league.  129 wanted to wager if Bagent goes to camp, which is a maybe but who cares?  We know he?s a good FB player as he?s player of year in D2 which is right where he belongs.  It seems most of not all D1 coaches agree on that, out of HS and now, after years of D2 most still feel that way.

I can?t believe we waste this much time on a guy who isn?t here, we mutually didn?t consider each other, and is still a D2 player who will never be D1 or NFL.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, HoPPy785

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2022, 10:37:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What??? Devon Johnson went to camp, knox did, darius hodge, becket, mclain sapp (however you spell it), i know did right off the top of my head. We usually have several every year sign udfa contracts and "get a shot at camp". I know I'm forgetting some.

We were talking about QBs. Just QBs.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2022, 10:54:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • who said anything about limiting it to the last decade?  how about the last 15 years then?  or do we for some reason need your arbitrary time frame?

Ok, but just because of a rare scenario with Devine, let's not try to act like it's not a big deal to get an NFL camp invite. There are roughly 16,000 HS football teams in America, so roughly 16,000 starting HS QBs. Less than 7% of them will go on to play at any level of College ball and then only about 3% of them will ever end up in a Camp with about 1.5% actually making a NFL roster.

It's a pretty damn big accomplishment to even get a sniff from the league.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2022, 01:57:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok, but just because of a rare scenario with Devine, let's not try to act like it's not a big deal to get an NFL camp invite. There are roughly 16,000 HS football teams in America, so roughly 16,000 starting HS QBs. Less than 7% of them will go on to play at any level of College ball and then only about 3% of them will ever end up in a Camp with about 1.5% actually making a NFL roster.

1.5% is too high honestly, probably closer to a fraction of a % that make a roster.

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wonder if anyone from Marshall even tried to talk to him. I think he wanted WVU or Maryland and if not one of them he was staying there.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2022, 08:47:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The conversation was about Bagent never playing D1 or the league.  129 wanted to wager if Bagent goes to camp, which is a maybe but who cares?  We know he?s a good FB player as he?s player of year in D2 which is right where he belongs.  It seems most of not all D1 coaches agree on that, out of HS and now, after years of D2 most still feel that way.

I can?t believe we waste this much time on a guy who isn?t here, we mutually didn?t consider each other, and is still a D2 player who will never be D1 or NFL.

Well Bison, who else do you expect us to waste our time on discussing on here?  HERD Men's Basketball?  ;D

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2022, 08:47:33 PM »

Online 2xBison

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2022, 03:15:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok, but just because of a rare scenario with Devine, let's not try to act like it's not a big deal to get an NFL camp invite. There are roughly 16,000 HS football teams in America, so roughly 16,000 starting HS QBs. Less than 7% of them will go on to play at any level of College ball and then only about 3% of them will ever end up in a Camp with about 1.5% actually making a NFL roster.

You are correct.  I was just being dismissive to 129s constant Bagent chatter, that and I knew he wouldn?t know about Devine and I was correct he didn?t.

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2022, 07:11:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are correct.  I was just being dismissive to 129s constant Bagent chatter, that and I knew he wouldn?t know about Devine and I was correct he didn?t.

I did know about Devine actually. Not sure what that has to do with anything. We?ve had a total of 3 QBs get a camp invite over the last 20 years and you try to pretend it?s no big deal that Bagent is going to get a camp invite at very least.

Offline MUther

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd wager that the best player in D2, a QB, is better for us than any QB we've put on the field since at least Cato.   NFL isn't a good measure of a good college QB.  Would you rather have Cato or Litton?  Litton had the size and tools of an NFL QB.  Cato won college games but considered too small for NFL.  Litton matched our worst season since Snyder days.  Cato gave us our 2 best seasons since Leftwich.

I don't care if a guy ever even makes an NFL camp as long as he wins games here.  Clearly we haven't chosen wisely in a long time for a consistent winner.  Bagent is a consistent winner.  It is only speculation as to whether or not he would excel here.  Until he plays here, which isn't likely, there is no right answer.  And that goes for his NFL prospects, too.  We'll know soon enough.  But you might take a look at Zappe for what a winning attitude can do far a team, no matter the origin.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2022, 07:32:38 PM »