Author Topic: Legg or Trickett  (Read 1696 times)

Offline muherd

Legg or Trickett
« on: January 16, 2022, 10:42:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One of them will be our OC, hope I am wrong I would like to see Huff bring in someone of his own. He has a history with Trickett he may look to him.

HerdFans.com

Legg or Trickett
    « on: January 16, 2022, 10:42:14 PM »

Offline muherd34

Re: Legg or Trickett
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:10:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope it would be someone that is innovative and is looking to make a name for themselves.  As long as we win and look competent next year I dont care who is the oc.

The following users thanked this post: ThunderValley, The E-Man

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 11:31:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?d say Trickett.  If they excel together he has his move on with OC.  Or he digs from bama

Offline GoHERDPT

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 11:41:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just to throw out other names near the organization?Mike Bartram is on staff and would like to increase his coaching profile-I would not be upset with this. Also, I think Tony pedersen is currently unemployed if we are recycling former OCs.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 06:53:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully Huff finds the person he wants. 

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online chris88

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 08:52:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully Huff finds the person he wants.

He better. Especially now that he has apparently landed a pretty good QB who is going to come in with a great deal of knowledge about higher level offenses.

I would interview Trickett if he is interested but not sure he's ready. But would 100% take a chance on him vs Legg if Trickett excelled in the interview process. Peterson? No way. He best yrs as a OC were with Minnesota and he had a great QB (Brian Cupito). Minus that he has been very pedestrian as an OC.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: herd33, HerdEcon, horsrman, The E-Man, herdfifteen

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:02:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Peterson? No way. He best yrs as a OC were with Minnesota and he had a great QB (Brian Cupito). Minus that he has been very pedestrian as an OC.

I agree 100%. He has had a very lack luster career as an OC
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 10:03:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm cool with Trickett getting a shot, but I'll be excited either way. Cramsey sucked.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online whf

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 12:42:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm often surprised, but I'd be surprised if Huff doesn't promote from within. Not sure how he keeps a few on staff if he goes outside on this one. I can see co-offensive coordinators, on field coaching and competitor assessment and game planning.  But remember, Legg is already Assistant Head Coach at MU (and TEs coach), not sure what that means in duties

I see him choosing Trickett based on his experience at FAU and East Mississippi coaching quarterbacks; he has experience at a lot of places, and with Lane Kiffin (one season at FAU I believe) and Willy Taggart; plus QB experience himself at FSU and WVU.  ANd he can continue to team with Legg of plans, processes, and player particulars to form a great game plan.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:54:30 PM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 12:47:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I?d offer Chad Pennington first

The following users thanked this post: Banshee

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 12:49:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With the title Passing Game Coordinator Trickett may already be the defacto Co-Offensive Coordinator.   Trickett played QB and has coached QBs.  Unless someone better is available it may make sense to give him a shot as the Offensive Coordinator/QB coach.  Trickett also has a year under his belt under Huff's system. 

I would like to see Legg moved to Offensive Line coach.  Legg was a very good OL coach in his day.  Legg has more experience as OC than anyone else on staff. 

I'm sure Huff already has a plan and a short list of prospective OCs and position coaches should he move someone up the ladder from within.

Huff needs to find a couple talented WRs for his new QB to throw the ball to.  Notice I said "to" rather than "at".   We already have a good running game if Huff can find a good passing game then next year we could see a very good offense. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, whf, herdfan129

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 02:04:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to see Legg moved to Offensive Line coach.  Legg was a very good OL coach in his day.  Legg has more experience as OC than anyone else on staff.

if we're looking to make a change at OL coach, i'm sure clint's dad would jump at the opportunity to coach with his son.  there haven't been very many times during rick's career that a job here would be a promotion for him, but it is right now.

The following users thanked this post: s1uggo, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 02:04:33 PM »

Online svherd

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 08:08:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I may  have  taken it totally wrong; and I hope I did - but in  his comments about committing, Colombi said he felt comfortable with Legg and Trickett and would be in good hands with either. That was in response to a question about a relationship with the coaches and knowing Cramsey is leaving the OC position. Reading that, it seems Huff may give the OC job to one of those guys, or they share it. Pure speculation on my part. HD web page.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 09:09:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One of them will be our OC, hope I am wrong I would like to see Huff bring in someone of his own. He has a history with Trickett he may look to him.

It seems to be trending that way. Trickett?s offense at FAU wasn?t that good and Legg may better at OC but suspect as a QB coach. If Legg is the OC, then having Trickett or bringing in Tony Peterson as QB/Co OC would be the best situation.

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 09:55:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why is Trickett not the QB Coach anyway? If he and Legg are going to be co-oc then I would hope we would also slap the QB Coach title on Trickett and go after a new WR Coach.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Buffalo Bop

Online chris88

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 10:11:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FAU's offensive problems were more complicated than people think when Trickett there. They had many injury issues (starting QB included if I remember) among other things. I think Taggart is a great guy (as is Legg by all those who have interacted with him) but not an offensive guru by any stretch.  The OC is the most difficult job for any level of football beyond pee wee. Not only have to be scheme smart but also have a very quick mind.  As one play is ending you have to be able to absord the down, distance, hash info and then decide quickly on personnel package, formation, run or pass, play call in a very short time frame.  And that doesn't even include any sideline audibles. Legg has shown, imo, he doesn't have the mind necessary which is why he often called the same play over and over, used very little motion, and had horrible route combo's in passing game. Never remember ever using effective counter strategy.

I would talk with Trickett but he'd have to woe me in an interview to get job.  If they settle for Legg or put him as Co coordinator with Trickett it tells me they don't think Trickett is ready. If that is the case you have to go outside. Having Legg as Co-Coord would be an albatross to anyone. There are probably 100 Texas HS OC's better qualified. As I said, I have little faith the right decision will be made for reasons expressed earlier. Hope i'm wrong.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Online whf

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 10:24:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Legg's success at Purdue highly challenges 88's comments about not being smart enough to handle the game execution play by play.  By the way, most of this isn't minute by minute or play by play as 88 depicts, it is now programmed on worksheets; an if-then-else process that we see in OC and head coaches who call plays hands every week.  Every result has a serious of options to react to it. And the choice is often based on the defensive alignment seen early in the set.  I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, just wanting to defray the concept that one makes up a response as the game goes on.  If they try that, they lose.

I am not pulling for Bill Legg, never met him, don't know him other than to recognize him. But I do know he has been successful offensively at the highest collegiate levels and no matter what folks feel about him, they can't take that away or make it untrue.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 10:37:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • makes sense that it usually is connections and job history.  most recently, we've been introduced to Huff's connections in the FB coaching world.  young coaches less connections, older coaches more connections.  i don't know if those connections are more or less when compared to other jobs in the world.

i'm sure it's standard for most people and has been said many times- if i were in Huff's shoes or any 'bosses' shoes i'd pick only those i have 100% faith in.  those who will help make me and my 'company" a winner and not hire friends just because they're friends who need a job, however tempting it is.

it's also been said that most people who remain coaching for a long time generally have a reputation as being a good person, in general.

also, i side with the premise that QB can make a coach easier than a coach can make a QB-  then there's all the other factors like OL and OL coach, RBs and WRs, S&C, and so forth. 

the one thing i like is Huff's youthful enthusiasm and no time for negative thought  ;)

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 10:54:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm curious how Legg ended up back here... Does Huff have a history with him, did Legg reach out, or was he recommended by a Marshall connection?

Online whf

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 11:49:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm curious how Legg ended up back here... Does Huff have a history with him, did Legg reach out, or was he recommended by a Marshall connection?
    I've posted on the site before about this, I believe they were together at MissState before Huff went to Alabama.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, HoPPy785

Online chris88

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2022, 12:41:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Legg's success at Purdue highly challenges 88's comments about not being smart enough to handle the game execution play by play.  By the way, most of this isn't minute by minute or play by play as 88 depicts, it is now programmed on worksheets; an if-then-else process that we see in OC and head coaches who call plays hands every week.  Every result has a serious of options to react to it. And the choice is often based on the defensive alignment seen early in the set.  I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, just wanting to defray the concept that one makes up a response as the game goes on.  If they try that, they lose.

I am not pulling for Bill Legg, never met him, don't know him other than to recognize him. But I do know he has been successful offensively at the highest collegiate levels and no matter what folks feel about him, they can't take that away or make it untrue.

Context my friend, context. This is exactly why most schools end up hiring the wrong guy. By looking at coaching bio's and selective stats without looking at overall picture. I never said, btw, Legg wasn't smart enough.  I said he didn't have the right mind....ie not quick enough to process all the info and consistently put together a sound sequence of plays and adjust to defense.

Joe Tiller brought his imaginative offense to Purdue long before Legg arrived. And retired a year after Legg left.

Leggs biggest successes at Purdue were due to his QB Curtis Painter. Who, while not great, did play 4 seasons on NFL rosters. In 2006 Purdue did great against the weak competition but struggled mightily vs good competition (sound familiar?): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Purdue_Boilermakers_football_team.
    In six losses they scored over 21 pts once. In 3 of those losses they score single digits twice and were shut out once. Their only "shootout" win in Big10 was at 2-10 Illinois.

In 2007 much of the same, beat up on bad teams cut couldn't beat the good ones. Win vs Notre Dame looks good on paper but Irish finished 3-9
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Purdue_Boilermakers_football_team.

He did so well at Purdue he ended up at FIU.

If you've never been involved in play calling you have no idea just how hard it is. That's not a slight to Legg. It's real hard. Flow charts don't tell you anything about creativity and imagination...let alone counter strategy. The good OC's can have 100+ plays on those sheets, manage it, and keep the defense guessing. Many more have much less on those sheets so as not to confuse themselves...which limits what the offense can do. Over time many OC's become very predictable and much easier to defend....unless they have superior talent.

My opinion is if they hire him as OC, you better hope that the QB is great. Honestly I can't believe Huff would do that as it could lead to career altering consequences. It would also tell me he has no idea what the right "questions" are.

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 12:42:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

My initial thought is that Legg was a terrible OC, but I have went back and studied on it some. Our offenses in 2012-2013-2014 were prolific. National ranks of #5, #13, and #2 in the country durning that span. The problem is we are not sure how much of that was Legg, and how much was Cato just making things happen. As with anything else, the truth probably lays somewhere in the middle.

What does make me question my initial thoughts on Legg is that those where the only 3 years that we went uptempo. It was like Doc shut it down after that loss to WKU ending our perfect season, and never allowed it to continue. Did  Legg end up becoming a scape goat for Doc wanting to play Nehlen ball?

Just trying to be objective when looking at the whole picture.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2022, 12:42:39 PM »

Online whf

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 01:44:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looked it up, Huff and Legg were together at Mississippi State in 2018.  Legg was Senior Offensive Consultant and Huff was Run Game Coordinator and Running Backs Coach.  So yes, they did have close working relationship before Huff was hired at MU.

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 01:53:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kinda feels like what I'm learning is good QB = good OC... Bad QB = bad OC. Sounds like we better have gotten this Colombi pickup right.

I'm partially joking, but also believe college success is very dependent on your QB. A really good college QB can be paired with an avg supporting cast and do very well.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, chris88

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 06:40:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Talent wins!

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 06:40:56 PM »