Author Topic: Legg or Trickett  (Read 1697 times)

Online IM4DHERD

Re: Legg or Trickett
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 06:53:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems I recall that during Legg's time as OC, coaches from the likes of Oregon and other P5's were in Htgn looking for tips on how to run that offense.  Granted, Cato was a LARGE part of it, but he wasn't drawing plays in the dirt.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 06:53:03 PM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 07:18:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • you think they came to see Cato??  lol
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online herd2win

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 08:46:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems I recall that during Legg's time as OC, coaches from the likes of Oregon and other P5's were in Htgn looking for tips on how to run that offense.  Granted, Cato was a LARGE part of it, but he wasn't drawing plays in the dirt.

This is accurate.  Our offensive tempo and combination of run and pass was special.  Looking at the 2013 and 2014 teams were special.  We had an exciting QB in Cato, an excellent receiver in Shuler, and then a running back that no one could tackle in DJ.  There is a reason that team was ranked and had 2 very good seasons.  That team and the scheme were excellent.

The following users thanked this post: whf, ed swain

Offline MUther

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 07:22:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I thought we went to Oregon and learned up tempo for 2013, then dropped it for 2014.  Doc didn't like it cause it wore the defense out.  Didn't matter that we could score 50 in a half with it, with that offense.

Honestly, if those are the two choices for OC, then option 3 is a deep wrist cut and a slow bleed while listening to Johnny Cash sing "Hurt."  Get someone who's out to make a name for themselves, not someone whose name has already been forgotten.  Need game changers if we want out of this hole with attendance and results.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 08:19:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought we went to Oregon and learned up tempo for 2013, then dropped it for 2014.  Doc didn't like it cause it wore the defense out.  Didn't matter that we could score 50 in a half with it, with that offense.

Honestly, if those are the two choices for OC, then option 3 is a deep wrist cut and a slow bleed while listening to Johnny Cash sing "Hurt."  Get someone who's out to make a name for themselves, not someone whose name has already been forgotten.  Need game changers if we want out of this hole with attendance and results.

We did.  Oregon was wrecking havoc on college football at that time with their up tempo offense.  Our coaches went out there to learn that scheme and implemented it here for the 13' season.  We slowed it down a bit in 14' because it was burning out of defense.  We pretty much abandoned it after that.  I think Coach Huff learned that lesson early last season when it cost the Herd some wins.  I thought he did a good job of having Cramsey adjust the tempo throughout the game. 

The following users thanked this post: MUther

Offline vanhorn78

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 03:48:01 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Idk where they got it or picked it up from. But we started it in 2012. Our coaches knew we were losing players on defense after that 2011 season and knew we?d have to turn games into shootouts to win. In 2013, Legg kept it going, but it wasn?t as crucial to success. Heater, Sinclair, and Mirabal joined that season and were the most influential in our improvement. All of them were huge in coaching and mentality? I believe price was already there in 2012, but was the only guy on the staff that was really focused on having the right mentality. Legg had Stew, Grooms, and Tally (the best out of the 3 that year-2013). He also had a cheat code at TE (Gator) in 2012-13. Being able to run power and inside zone enough to respect it in 2012, and effectively in 2013 really opened up play action. You had Gator for bombs and Shu for the shorter routes. In 2014 our defense was great. Legg could slow it down a lot. I thought he did well in 2015 with a young QB. We just made a lot of mistakes as players that year. I would blame those 2013 and 2015 failures on us, as players, predominantly. Had the pieces to be great, but nothing like that 14 team. I?ll say I love the way he uses his TE?s when he?s running his own show. In my personal opinion, it?s a thing of beauty.

The following users thanked this post: MUther, herdfan129

Offline vanhorn78

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2022, 04:08:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And to clarify, Miday was a heck of a strength coach. He just didn?t have enough support from position coaches to really push having the right approach, regarding the players. We all respected him, though, no question. But that level of respect for how we conducted ourselves was only at the level it needed to be in the weight room and DL room. And of course the 2012 receiving core was just really good. It didn?t matter who their position coach was, as far as performance.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 05:44:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Marshall always rehires Bill Legg bc attendance picks up with Poca people

Offline MUther

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 06:43:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Idk where they got it or picked it up from. But we started it in 2012. Our coaches knew we were losing players on defense after that 2011 season and knew we?d have to turn games into shootouts to win. In 2013, Legg kept it going, but it wasn?t as crucial to success. Heater, Sinclair, and Mirabal joined that season and were the most influential in our improvement. All of them were huge in coaching and mentality? I believe price was already there in 2012, but was the only guy on the staff that was really focused on having the right mentality. Legg had Stew, Grooms, and Tally (the best out of the 3 that year-2013). He also had a cheat code at TE (Gator) in 2012-13. Being able to run power and inside zone enough to respect it in 2012, and effectively in 2013 really opened up play action. You had Gator for bombs and Shu for the shorter routes. In 2014 our defense was great. Legg could slow it down a lot. I thought he did well in 2015 with a young QB. We just made a lot of mistakes as players that year. I would blame those 2013 and 2015 failures on us, as players, predominantly. Had the pieces to be great, but nothing like that 14 team. I?ll say I love the way he uses his TE?s when he?s running his own show. In my personal opinion, it?s a thing of beauty.

You would know.  I think he was flirting with uptempo in 2012, but like you said the defense was bad and Rippon was still here.  Between 2012 and 2013 he went and saw how Oregon was doing it and used their style for 2013 and we had Heater on defense, which got better.  And, yes, he slowed it down in 2014.  That''s how I remember it, anyway.  I think that's how Mirabel ended up at Oregon.  He was there for the offense seminar and was such a dynamic guy they kept him in mind when it was time a few years later.

Offline vanhorn78

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 07:16:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You would know.  I think he was flirting with uptempo in 2012, but like you said the defense was bad and Rippon was still here.  Between 2012 and 2013 he went and saw how Oregon was doing it and used their style for 2013 and we had Heater on defense, which got better.  And, yes, he slowed it down in 2014.  That''s how I remember it, anyway.  I think that's how Mirabel ended up at Oregon.  He was there for the offense seminar and was such a dynamic guy they kept him in mind when it was time a few years later.

I think he got the Oregon job bc Cristobal is his best friend (they were best men at each other?s wedding). They were also together at FIU, with Legg.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 07:16:07 PM »