Author Topic: Hamrick vs. O'Malley  (Read 1025 times)

Online svherd

Hamrick vs. O'Malley
« on: February 04, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • This post is not meant to trash anyone or that I am against JO getting the AD job. I am not. If he does, I wish him the best and support the move.

My question to the insiders is - In what ways are Mike and Jeff different? Did Jeff ever have a major influence on any decisions, fundraising, marketing, etc?

I keep hearing people say he has his own ideas. What are they?

This is an extremely crucial hire for Marshall. They need to get it right.

I'll give Jeff huge kudos for helping navigate us through the SB deal. Also, kudos for saying he will stay on board as the number 2 guy, even if he is not chosen as AD. That's very big in my book. Good luck to him.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, HerdEcon, miltonherdfan, MUonium

HerdFans.com

Hamrick vs. O'Malley
    « on: February 04, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »

Online herd2win

Re: Hamrick vs. O'Malley
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 09:58:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t think he will be able to make the obvious move if he is hired.  We kept hearing from the basketball guys that O?Malley supported DD and it as Hamrick holding basketball back. 

I just don?t believe Jeff will be tough enough to let Dan go.

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 10:20:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of the very best leaders I've ever worked for or with waited their time supporting those ahead of them.  Their ability to be supportive of others gave them the greatest respect for being supported.  Plus, they made the very best needed changes because they was what worked and what didn't. They'd had the ears of many for a long time and understood the base value and base issues of the client and their teams.  I think O'Malley is in this group, but i do not think he'll be named AD; primarily because he'd be here either way.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • that's a very good point.  hiring any of the other 3 actually nets us 2 of the 4 b/c JO committed to staying.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 10:30:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t think he will be able to make the obvious move if he is hired.  We kept hearing from the basketball guys that O?Malley supported DD and it as Hamrick holding basketball back. 

I just don?t believe Jeff will be tough enough to let Dan go.
    So you were going to judge the new A.D. on whether he fires Dantoni or not? That?s completely fair.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt

Offline HerdHopeful07

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 10:35:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I feel like this has been asked 100 times and has had a variety of answers.

I feel that the ones that are in the hiring process knows what JO brings to the table and ultimately that will either get him the job or not. But lets not act like he hasnt handled the ship extraordinary well during the 2 biggest changes this University has been through recently. He was acting AD right when the new NIL rules came into play and help establish systems to help players. He was the acting AD while conference realignment hit the fan. He also has shown he respects Marshall to help the transition in AD if there is one. But i dont believe he will just sit and wait through another AD. Even if he did our fans would be complaining why he deserves it that time around since he is still here and hasnt left, while at the same time complaining about loyalty of people who leave.
    Herd Fan because every victory is a little bit sweeter

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 10:45:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you were going to judge the new A.D. on whether he fires Dantoni or not? That?s completely fair.

as herd2win stated, it is the "obvious" decision

nobody could honestly think, at 75, DD is just gonna change the way he's approached the job the past 7 yrs & replace his assts & pull schollys from players . . . to what, coach 2 more yrs?  it's very obvious he's extremely confident that his approach is the best approach, i don't think he questions any part of his philosophy for 1 second.  to use his own words, we're supposedly a "young" team full of guys that can't shoot a basketball.  yeah, the future's bright.   ::)

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdfan129

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 12:04:56 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jeff O'Malley was brought here by Bob Marcum to succeed him after a perceived short tenure. He has been here LOYAL to Marshall for that long. He has raised his family here and is entrenched in the community. I refereed many years with Jeff. He is a man of unquestionable principals and integrity, he is dead right not espousing what he will do or not do publicly until the job is his. I am quite sure he has reviewed his intentions with the interviewers. Jeff also sits on National Rules boards in the NCAA giving him instant contacts and accomplished AD's he could/can lean on . It doesnt surprise me one iota that he would agree to remain if for no other purpose than WV pension, hes put in quite a few years but the bottom line, the man is Loyal (a trait missing in our society today) to Marshall. Those of you that think hes Hammy II, dont know Jeff O'Malley.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, svherd, Always THE HERD, The E-Man, herdfan129

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 12:14:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only comment I have is that I bet Brad Smith will expect excellence from all of the MU staff. One doesn't become CEO of a major corporation without making hard decisions. I am sure Brad will provide support and leadership to his key staff. I also don't think Brad will micromanage his managers.
    « Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 12:16:33 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan

Offline MUther

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 12:34:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Some of the very best leaders I've ever worked for or with waited their time supporting those ahead of them.  Their ability to be supportive of others gave them the greatest respect for being supported.  Plus, they made the very best needed changes because they was what worked and what didn't. They'd had the ears of many for a long time and understood the base value and base issues of the client and their teams.  I think O'Malley is in this group, but i do not think he'll be named AD; primarily because he'd be here either way.

Part of being good at your job is apprising your superiors of what can be done more effectively and efficiently and having a plan to implement those ideas.  In that respect O'Malley doesn't add up.  It's hard to be the bastion of change if you've been entrenched that long.  Not saying he wouldn't be good for Marshall, but he should have been making his mark before now and if he has, color me unimpressed.  Maybe Hamrick took credit for some of Jeff's ideas.  I don't know.  But I'd like to see some evidence of his influence on the sports program over his entire tenure and not just the last 10 months or so.  I mean he's either been holding back till he was in charge or hasn't had anything to add.  Either isn't a really good look. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online The E-Man

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 12:37:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jeff O'Malley was brought here by Bob Marcum to succeed him after a perceived short tenure. He has been here LOYAL to Marshall for that long. He has raised his family here and is entrenched in the community. I refereed many years with Jeff. He is a man of unquestionable principals and integrity, he is dead right not espousing what he will do or not do publicly until the job is his. I am quite sure he has reviewed his intentions with the interviewers. Jeff also sits on National Rules boards in the NCAA giving him instant contacts and accomplished AD's he could/can lean on . It doesnt surprise me one iota that he would agree to remain if for no other purpose than WV pension, hes put in quite a few years but the bottom line, the man is Loyal (a trait missing in our society today) to Marshall. Those of you that think he's Hammy II, don't know Jeff O'Malley.

I trust what you're saying about O'Malley. I personally don't know Jeff, but there's a lot to think about when we hire our next AD. It sounds like O'Malley is deserving of a chance to be our next AD..

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Online svherd

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 12:49:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Part of being good at your job is apprising your superiors of what can be done more effectively and efficiently and having a plan to implement those ideas.  In that respect O'Malley doesn't add up.  It's hard to be the bastion of change if you've been entrenched that long.  Not saying he wouldn't be good for Marshall, but he should have been making his mark before now and if he has, color me unimpressed.  Maybe Hamrick took credit for some of Jeff's ideas.  I don't know.  But I'd like to see some evidence of his influence on the sports program over his entire tenure and not just the last 10 months or so.  I mean he's either been holding back till he was in charge or hasn't had anything to add.  Either isn't a really good look.

This is where I stand, I'd love to see specific evidence of any positive influence he has had on the AD. Ideas, policies, budgets, fundraising, scheduling? Has his ideas and knowledge been used; or was Hamrick such a dominate leader that he didn't listen or take ideas from those below him? By all accounts, JO is a great guy. Sad thing is, we need more than a great guy. It's gut check time for the MU AD and we need a strong leader, a strong fundraiser, someone who won't be denied and who can and will work and communicate very well with Brad Smith. jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man, HoPPy785

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 12:49:00 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 12:53:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is where I stand, I'd love to see specific evidence of any positive influence he has had on the AD. Ideas, policies, budgets, fundraising, scheduling? Has his ideas and knowledge been used; or was Hamrick such a dominate leader that he didn't listen or take ideas from those below him? By all accounts, JO is a great guy. Sad thing is, we need more than a great guy. It's gut check time for the MU AD and we need a strong leader, a strong fundraiser, someone who won't be denied and who can and will work and communicate very well with Brad Smith. jmo

I trust that Smith will pick a ?transformational leader? as AD

The following users thanked this post: svherd, The E-Man, HoPPy785

Offline whf

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 02:20:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Part of being good at your job is apprising your superiors of what can be done more effectively and efficiently and having a plan to implement those ideas.  In that respect O'Malley doesn't add up.  It's hard to be the bastion of change if you've been entrenched that long.  Not saying he wouldn't be good for Marshall, but he should have been making his mark before now and if he has, color me unimpressed.  Maybe Hamrick took credit for some of Jeff's ideas.  I don't know.  But I'd like to see some evidence of his influence on the sports program over his entire tenure and not just the last 10 months or so.  I mean he's either been holding back till he was in charge or hasn't had anything to add.  Either isn't a really good look.
    How do you know that JO didn't contribute new ideas, add new concepts, challenge conventional thinking? I suspect he has sold his successes to the board  assigned to hire new AD. If he has the list, it will or will not be impressive to those accountable to make the recommendation to Mr. Smith. If he gets hired, I'm going to presume he has as impressive list of contributions and capabilities as the other three.  And I hope everyone else will give him that benefit and support as well.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, svherd, VA Herd Fan, herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 03:33:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • O'Malley is just as qualified if not more qualified than the others. I would say more qualified considering he has now had two stints as an interim AD here at Marshall.

I'll be disappointed if he isn't given the opportunity.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 07:00:45 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]2
  • Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I 'll respect that. But if you compare O'Malley to Hamrick and deny the man a chance if hes picked, your credibility with me, if you care, go down the crapper. BTW some prick behind a keyboard smited me for my original post. Seriously ! Own up to it if you have the balls to do it.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline MUther

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 09:15:02 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • How do you know that JO didn't contribute new ideas, add new concepts, challenge conventional thinking? I suspect he has sold his successes to the board  assigned to hire new AD. If he has the list, it will or will not be impressive to those accountable to make the recommendation to Mr. Smith. If he gets hired, I'm going to presume he has as impressive list of contributions and capabilities as the other three.  And I hope everyone else will give him that benefit and support as well.

I didn't say he didn't.  I said I haven't been impressed with Marshall's direction prior to the Sunbelt move so even if he was the main vision behind everything his whole tenure nothing has occurred in 15-16 years that says we were proactively moving in the right direction.   I agree that the last year or so with the coaching change and conference change, etc, things appear to be moving to a better place.  But it took the Marshall Board to step in and do all that and the AD office was fine with Doc and was fine with our conference.  I don't know how much O'Malley supported Hamrick's complacency, if at all.  I never heard of any dissidence in the department suggesting someone was trying to break us out of our funk.  Not that I would have heard about it, but someone who wasn't pushing for change in all that time?  I have a hard time believing they will suddenly be innovative and transformative.  That's all I'm saying.  And I also said he may very well be good for Marshall.  I'm more inclined to clean out the office and start fresh, understanding that Jeff would remain here in some capacity if he chose to do so.

This is kind of like keeping Cramsey.  Is Cramsey at fault for everything gone wrong?  Of course not.  Will we question whether it was the right idea to retain him in light of our failed offense last year?  Probably forever.  The sports dept has had some major bungles since 2004 or so.  I don't want regrets that we didn't do everything we could to get the best people to keep us moving forward.  And, again, Jeff might be the best person for this job.  I wish I knew more about what he specifically was responsible for, here.  Since he is here already, he should talk about Marshall's prior issues and what he thinks can be realistically done for the future.  That would be something that would give him a big edge, imo.  Speak to the fans.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline goherd24

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 02:52:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd like to add that I've been a donor with Marshall for 12 years, roughly. Started out $100 a year or so. I never met Hamrick once, and I've met with O'Malley while he us an interim. I didn't much like Hamrick. Only time he ever even cared to speak with me was when he said they didn't want fans opinions or negative feedback unless they were donors (which I disagreed with and was going to pull my dinations). Then of course the covid basketball year they didn't want to give me season tickets unless I stopped being negative of Doc online, twitter and forums, and in person. That was Hamricks relationship with donors and alums. He didn't care.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 10:43:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd like to add that I've been a donor with Marshall for 12 years, roughly. Started out $100 a year or so. I never met Hamrick once, and I've met with O'Malley while he us an interim. I didn't much like Hamrick. Only time he ever even cared to speak with me was when he said they didn't want fans opinions or negative feedback unless they were donors (which I disagreed with and was going to pull my dinations). Then of course the covid basketball year they didn't want to give me season tickets unless I stopped being negative of Doc online, twitter and forums, and in person. That was Hamricks relationship with donors and alums. He didn't care.

24, just think if Hammy would have made you mad enough that you would have foregone season tickets THIS season, think of all the $$$$ you would have saved and the agony/misery you would have missed!!  :D

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 11:04:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 24, just think if Hammy would have made you mad enough that you would have foregone season tickets THIS season, think of all the $$$$ you would have saved and the agony/misery you would have missed!!  :D

This is true, very true.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 11:34:24 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I always liked Hamrick.  Other than keeping Doc too long, I thought he had a good run.  He always spoke as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 07:19:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Brad is first looking for a guy that has a vast marketing and financial background. Jeff doesn't have that. I expect one of the others tp get the job and Jeff be retained in an associate role to help with NCAA issues. With that being said I think the Syracuse candidate best fills that need
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Buffalo Bop, horsrman, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 07:19:47 AM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 10:11:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Brad is first looking for a guy that has a vast marketing and financial background. Jeff doesn't have that. I expect one of the others tp get the job and Jeff be retained in an associate role to help with NCAA issues. With that being said I think the Syracuse candidate best fills that need

As i've said before, most ADs are bean counters. A few have a knack about how to run a successful coach search while most use the CYA method.  MH has done a good job in facilities and other matters but IMO the position is grossly overpaid for the results of teams. Coaching hires have been spotty at best with Grassie basically falling in his lap. Again who is running the search and what questions are being asked. The amount of groupthink in college athletics is astounding to me.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Online svherd

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 10:38:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

This scenario would be best for Marshall. Jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

As much as I am bias towards Jeff, I agree. The one thing common with these guys bio's is marketing/promotion backgrounds, which we need bad, IMHO, the school has made some lousy decisions over the last 20 years and has alienated many fans, plus surrendered marketing grounds to surrounding schools.

I also hope Brad, lights a fire under Sutherland A$$ and the IMG/Learfield.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »