Author Topic: Dan D'Antoni gave us...  (Read 2791 times)

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

Dan D'Antoni gave us...
« on: February 05, 2022, 04:51:33 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]2
  • ...the highest high in Marshall Basketball History.

...and the worst basketball I've ever seen by a Div-I college team in my lifetime. The end of the D'Antoni era will be no better if not worse than the Freeman/Jirsa eras. I don't remember the Freeman or Jirsa years being worse than this...as far as just how bad of basketball this is.

What's bad is we aren't getting talent and we aren't developing players. Notice how Kinsey has regressed just like Elmore did. The system/philosophy I believe hurts even these once a decade type players...Elmore, Kinsey, and even a guy like Beyers (who is a great athlete). The undisciplined system/style of play just exacerbates poor talent, shooting, and lack of development. A trifecta that is hard to overcome and the perfect storm of suck.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, DC01HERD, ed swain, herd_67, miltonherdfan, MrRobertPruett, coalherd

HerdFans.com

Dan D'Antoni gave us...
    « on: February 05, 2022, 04:51:33 PM »

Offline goherd24

Re: Dan D'Antoni gave us...
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The worst you've ever seen? Not watched much basketball. Plenty of teams have not won 8 games in a season.

This is absolute bologna, i agree, I'm frustrated as hell. Pathetic showing by our team.

None of these guys can shoot this season for whatever reason. They either need to get in the gym and get shots up this off season, or get off the roster.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 05:00:13 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I got out of the service in the summer of 1970, been watching MU Basketball with my wife ever sense. We agree this is the absolute WORST we have ever seen; yep, Jirsa and Freeman years included.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 05:32:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 10 mintes to go, scrub time.  Totally embarrassing!! 

Meanwhile, Goran now 3-6 from the line.  A 7 footer who shoots 50 per cent from the foul stripe!!  WHAT a WEAPON!!  Thanks  Scott Rigot!!  We need to keep him at any cost!!!

Online carolinaherdfan

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 05:34:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...the highest high in Marshall Basketball History.

...and the worst basketball I've ever seen by a Div-I college team in my lifetime. The end of the D'Antoni era will be no better if not worse than the Freeman/Jirsa eras. I don't remember the Freeman or Jirsa years being worse than this...as far as just how bad of basketball this is.

What's bad is we aren't getting talent and we aren't developing players. Notice how Kinsey has regressed just like Elmore did. The system/philosophy I believe hurts even these once a decade type players...Elmore, Kinsey, and even a guy like Beyers (who is a great athlete). The undisciplined system/style of play just exacerbates poor talent, shooting, and lack of development. A trifecta that is hard to overcome and the perfect storm of suck.
    However, the greatest MU team was the '71-'72 team...it lost in the first game ncaa, but it was a truly fun, well coached great MU team...

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 05:41:02 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • The worst you've ever seen? Not watched much basketball. Plenty of teams have not won 8 games in a season.

This is absolute bologna, i agree, I'm frustrated as hell. Pathetic showing by our team.

None of these guys can shoot this season for whatever reason. They either need to get in the gym and get shots up this off season, or get off the roster.

Congrats?we are not THE worst team in the history of the sport.  We?re only just horrifically awful. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 05:51:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny probably told Corny Jackson to throw in the towel at some point under 10 minutes to go.  Became very evident when we saw Dillon, Sarenac, etc., in the game!

Online mu79grad

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny probably told Corny Jackson to throw in the towel at some point under 10 minutes to go.  Became very evident when we saw Dillon, Sarenac, etc., in the game!

Agree, but that outfit was no worse that whomever played today!

Offline herd2win

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 06:00:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love to hear the post game.  I guess the players did not listen again and we are young.

Offline herdman22

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 06:00:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Meanwhile, Goran now 3-6 from the line.  A 7 footer who shoots 50 per cent from the foul stripe!!  WHAT a WEAPON!!  Thanks  Scott Rigot!!  We need to keep him at any cost!!!
    Not defending him, but not many 7 footers are good FT shooters. Shaq and Wilt were around 50% for their careers.

But, Goran doesn't give us much on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online jdonaccbus

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 06:01:43 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really like Dan D'Antoni. I loved what he brought to Marshall basketball. He did some really good things for the program, and yes, I think he sparked interest in the program which started to really go down during Herrion's last two seasons.

I appreciate what he has done here. I appreciate his passion for Marshall. He certainly has that.

With that said, I just don't think he gets the right to tear down what he built up.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, MUfan08, DC01HERD, whf, miltonherdfan, MrRobertPruett

Online MUfan08

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love to hear the post game.  I guess the players did not listen again and we are young.
    All he did was bring up youth again and that the team has not played enough basketball against all these teams with transfers.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 07:13:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Champ? weren?t you defending DD here recently?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Big City, goherd24

Offline svherd

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 07:19:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The youth excuse will get him another year.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 07:34:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I will say I've noticed his pressers are starting to just sound like him giving reasons why he shouldn't be fired. Talked about how young we are, how his system is proven with the CIT/NCAA wins. Blah blah. Will someone in the press please ask him why he recruited his team to be so young if being young is such a problem? I'm a Dan fan and I'm barely hanging on to the ride at this point.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Online MUfan08

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 07:36:15 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

Unfortunately, if we had competent reporters they would see that lie through and call Dan out.
    I believe Lexington herd fan pointed out why that was false.
    Also, the reason why Obinna, Braun, Early, McKee are having to play is because of poor player evaluation or player progression.
    We should be getting the max from Beyers and George as starters or key contributors, but yet they either come off the bench or do not play at all as seniors.
    Dillon and Marko have not progressed and not D1 players and they have been in the program 3 years now.
    It also blows my mind we that Dan says we do not have a true point guard (why is that)? But we are going to rely on a 6?9? true freshman to lead us next year (already hearing youth excuse there).

Not throwing this at you SV, because you see what Dan is using as an excuse, but if you pull back you can see it is BS. Just poor recruiting and player development.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, coalherd

Offline goherd24

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 07:38:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He is shooting ,72% for the season but carry on, don't want to take away from you beating a dead horse

Offline goherd24

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 07:45:15 PM »
  • [Like]-1
  • [Dislike]2
  • We have a coach thats raised the accomplishments, and expectations if a program that hasn't had any in 3 decades. We are having a disastrous year, and that isn't going to turn around barring a miracle. It's Dan's 1st losing season outside of that doomed first season. We all know we suck, and it's pathetic. The guys are shooting half their percentages from last year for whatever reason, and that doesn't appear to have a shot at changing.

In any case, Dan will have another year here and deserves it. Let him develop these guys, get them another year. Kinsey needs to stay if he wants a real NBA shot. But he may not. Other than him, we lose players that won't hurt us at all and may even help a bit. Fricks will get healthy, Braun a year older, obinna, early, taylor etc. By most accounts, Dan landed some solid recruits again.

Yes we suck. Yes this year is a disaster. Yes Dan will get another year. No need to beat the dead horse. I'll look forward to the tournament and then most likely next season hoping we get back on track. If we don't win 20-25 games and compete next year, ny all means, then the real conversations about firing Dan can begin with some legitimacy, and I'd support a change as well
    « Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 07:57:13 PM by goherd24 »

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, HoPPy785, herdfan129

Online herd1990

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 07:51:29 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know how hard it is to understand. We have a coach thats raised the accomplishments, and expectations if a program that hasn't had any in 3 decades. We are having a disastrous year, and that isn't going to turn around barring a miracle. It's Dan's 1st losing season outside of that doomed first season. We all know we suck, and it's pathetic. The guys are shooting half their percentages from last year for whatever reason, and that doesn't appear to have a shot at changing.

In any case, Dan will have another year here and deserves it. Let him develop these guys, get them another year. Kinsey needs to stay if he wants a real NBA shot. But he may not. Other than him, we lose players that won't hurt us at all and may even help a bit. Fricks will get healthy, Braun a year older, obinna, early, taylor etc. By most accounts, Dan landed some solid recruits again.

Yes we suck. Yes this year is a disaster. Yes Dan will get another year. No need to beat the dead horse. I'll look forward to the tournament and then most likely next season hoping we get back on track. If we don't win 20-25 games and compete next year, ny all means, then the real conversations about firing Dan can begin with some legitimacy, and I'd support a change as well

You'd think with an all time top 10 player in Kinsey, we'd be a little better. 😂.  I can't believe you still put Kinsey's name and the NBA in the same sentence.  Kinsey couldn't make it in the WNBA.  But you are the biggest DD apologist on the board so I'm not surprised you'd welcome him back for another season.   Every game DD coaches from here on out is just Marshall prolonging the inevitable.  His coaching style is as outdated as his glow stick pullovers he rocks on the sidelines. 

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 07:52:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Champ? weren?t you defending DD here recently?

Yes I was...that was like 3 weeks to a month ago...but yes I was. Isn't that a good thing?

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline goherd24

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 07:59:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You'd think with an all time top 10 player in Kinsey, we'd be a little better. .  I can't believe you still put Kinsey's name and the NBA in the same sentence.  Kinsey couldn't make it in the WNBA.  But you are the biggest DD apologist on the board so I'm not surprised you'd welcome him back for another season.   Every game DD coaches from here on out is just Marshall prolonging the inevitable.  His coaching style is as outdated as his glow stick pullovers he rocks on the sidelines.
    Yes, Kinsey is all time great here whether you like him or not. Yes, I appreciate Dan revitalizing the basketball program, and i also realize we aren't duke, like some (mostly doc fans it seems) suddenly expect us to be. Even the big boysnhave losing seasons occasionally.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, HoPPy785

Offline coalherd

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is shooting ,72% for the season but carry on, don't want to take away from you beating a dead horse

Well, he got a lot of PT and today went to the line quite often, believe he took a few more shot after my earlier post but still ended up less than .500 from foul line.  Let's see, we ended up shooting poorly from the field, and poorly from 3 pt line, in keeping with our atrocious shooting percentage from distance for the season.  So, yes, I guess Goran was entitled to an off game from the foul stripe, in keeping with our poor shooting day overall!!  MY BAD!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 08:07:38 PM »

Online herd1990

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 08:09:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, Kinsey is all time great here whether you like him or not. Yes, I appreciate Dan revitalizing the basketball program, and i also realize we aren't duke, like some (mostly doc fans it seems) suddenly expect us to be. Even the big boysnhave losing seasons occasionally.

Nobody expects Duke level success.  Most of us also don't expect to be worse than WV state. 

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, miltonherdfan

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 08:12:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I agree with 24 (again). DD will get another year regardless. I actually think he deserves another year IF he will open up some scholarships and actually hit the transfer portal. Send Goran and Sarenac packing and replace them with people who can compete right away.

Either way, he?s getting another year and we might as well accept it.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2022, 08:18:02 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • He should refuse to embarrass himself further and step aside.  Don?t buy that he?s automatically getting another year either.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, forphase1, parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2022, 08:18:02 PM »