Author Topic: IF NCAA drops 15k rule, WKU may join MAC(link)  (Read 821 times)

Offline DJdaHERDfan

IF NCAA drops 15k rule, WKU may join MAC(link)
« on: March 27, 2005, 06:26:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • pretty good write up on some things going on in 1AA.

here is a part of it...................

Five offseason issues to watch

by Matt Dougherty, Executive Director of I-AA Football

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Spring is finally in the air, and for some fans that means trips out to the stadium to catch some early practices and scrimmages.

But, sadly, we still have a long five months to go until players are hitting someone on another team. With offseason mode still in full swing, off-the-field issues and topics dominate the I-AA headlines. Let’s take a look at five issues that could make a difference in the future.

1. Mark the Calendars: April 28

April 28 is a day to watch, as the NCAA Board of Directors will vote on legislation initiated by the Division I Management Council and Division I Football Issues Committee in January. The votes include a rule on the 15,000 per game requirement for I-A eligibility, having I-AA games count towards a I-A team’s home schedule requirement of five games, and doing away with the "one- in-four" rule. Last season, the NCAA threatened I-A schools with potential sanctions if they couldn’t reach the 15,000 mark in average attendance per game. Shockingly (wink, wink) the NCAA is softening that stance after nine schools failed to reach the 15,000 mark in the 2004 season. Four of those schools play in the sensational Mid-American Conference, which finished behind the Atlantic 10, Great West and Big Sky in the final Sagarin ratings. The requirement would also hurt former I-AA schools Florida Atlantic and Florida International, which both fell far below the 15,000 minimum. However, these slacking institutions are finding a way around the requirements for Division I- A membership criteria established last August. Some institutions have complained that extenuating circumstances can hurt the attendance, and that the 15,000 requirement is an arbitrary benchmark. And now, it looks like the low- level I-A schools will have their way. NCAA staff and the Division I management council are drafting legislation to modify or perhaps even eliminate the 15,000 requirement when the Board of Directors convenes in April. Now, if the requirement is lifted I-AA schools won’t make a mad dash to the dollars of I-A life. But expect some schools to take a longer look at the I-A level if basic requirements don’t have to be met.

However, it’s not all bad new for I-AA. Proposals are also on the table from the Division I Football Issues Committee for the Board of Directors to consider having I-A football teams count one victory per year against I-AA teams for bowl eligibility and allowing a I-A football team to count a home game against a I-AA squad toward the five-home game requirement. Both of these measures would allow more I-AA teams to "play up" and take on I-A competition. With seven wins now the criteria for playoff inclusion instead of three losses, I-AA teams are less likely to avoid I-A games for fear of missing the playoffs. Both proposals made it through the committee with overwhelming approval and are expected to receive the go-ahead from the Board of Directors.

2. Western Kentucky Looking I-A?

Despite an average attendance of 8,769 per game (39th in I-AA), Western Kentucky is taking a look at moving its football program to the I-A level. The Hilltoppers play all sports except football and men’s soccer in the I-A Sun Belt, but also express interest in moving to the Mid-American Conference in order to have all teams playing in the same league. Western Kentucky athletic director Wood Selig will be closely watching the decisions of the NCAA Board of Directors on April 28. If the 15,000 rule is modified or done away with, a move to I-A football and the MAC appears possible. Selig holds close ties to MAC commissioner Rick Chryst, and the MAC has made exploratory inquiries to Western Kentucky. The conference currently has 14 members, but will lose Marshall and Central Florida to Conference USA at the end of the academic year. With a $35 million project in the works to renovate L.T. Smith Stadium, the Hilltoppers could improve their facilities enough to compete at the I-A level. L.T. Smith Stadium currently has a capacity of 17,500, and renovations could increase the overall seating capacity to more than 20,000. Having a school like WKU consider a I-A move is potential sign of negative consequences for I-AA if the 15,000 rule is abolished. The Hilltoppers probably wouldn’t approach an average of 15,000 fans per game, but without that standard in place a move to I-A is very appealing.

the rest of it can be seen at this link...............
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

HerdFans.com

« on: March 27, 2005, 06:26:36 PM »

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 06:31:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Be careful how you toss about "Done Deal"....

GS.
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this was on there too................

MEAC, SWAC ANNOUNCE MAJOR DEAL WITH ESPNU

The MEAC and the SWAC will give I-AA football a presence on the new ESPNU network. ESPNU reached a deal with the two historically black college/university leagues to broadcast football, men’s basketball, baseball and softball games. At least one football and one men’s basketball game per year will be broadcast live on ESPN Classic for each conference, and ESPNU or ESPN Classic will offer coverage of the SWAC title game. ESPNU will televise a minimum of seven football contests a year, with most broadcasts coming on Thursday night.

[/b]
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline ATHENSHERDFAN

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 07:38:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow, just what the MAC needs, another directional school averaging less than 10K.  Also, with the 7 win rule in 1-AA, will this mean only the really crappy lower divisional schools will make their selves available for slaughter?  If so, will it be fair to count wins against these ultra-creampuffs?

The NCAA should stay the course and weed-out the weak.
    HERD FAN FOREVER!

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:03:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the ncaa decides to do this they should go ahead, and drop the 1-AA status, because other than scholarships allowed there would not be in difference.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:grin:

Offline jn4theHERD

• All American
    • Member Since 09/2012
    « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 11:16:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Shockingly (wink, wink) the NCAA is softening that stance after nine schools failed to reach the 15,000 mark in the 2004 season. Four of those schools play in the sensational Mid-American Conference, which finished behind the Atlantic 10, Great West and Big Sky in the final Sagarin ratings.

Do you think this softening could be because to many MAC schools made bowl appearances? Or to many major confrence schools stay home at the end of of the season?

Just a thought.

jn

Anonymous

One in Four Rule
    « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 10:55:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can anyone clarify for me what the "one in four rule" is?  Thanks! Texas

Offline Chris884mu

• Junior Varsity
    I thought
    « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 11:40:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • all new 1-a schools had to have a min. stadium of 30k capacity?

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    Re: One in Four Rule
    « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "TexasHerdFan"
    Can anyone clarify for me what the "one in four rule" is?  Thanks! Texas

Currently you can count a 1-AA win once every 4 years towards bowl eligibility.  The new proposal would allow a 1-A to count a 1-AA victory every year; thus allowing the "so called big schools" the ability to schedule cream puffs so that they can make it to a bowl game.  Look for Rutgers, Kentucky, and the like to exploit this.  This is nothing more than to insure that the Power conferences are able to keep all of their bids to bowls that they have.  They would rather a 6-5 Kentucky with a win over the Citadel make a bowl appearance than a 9-2 Bowling Green team.  Last year was a disaster for the big conferences and the smaller conferences reaped the benefits.  They will do whatever it takes to make sure that doesn't happen again.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

HerdFans.com

Re: One in Four Rule
    « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 01:07:09 PM »