Author Topic: Pittsburgh vs Marshall soccer  (Read 1438 times)

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Assistant Coach
  • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
Re: Pittsburgh vs Marshall soccer
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2022, 09:45:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great win

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, 2xBison, pembrook burrows III, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2022, 09:45:49 PM »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2022, 09:53:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Awesome win!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, pembrook burrows III, The E-Man

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2022, 09:55:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great win

Go Herd!
    This was a great win for our University...
    This is the highest ranked opponent we have ever entertained and defeated in our history...we have to keep moving forward and upward...think of all the programs in the United States of America who have never did what we did today...

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Online svherd

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2022, 10:17:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good to see Spears, Brad Smith and his wife there. Great crowd, great atmosphere. Grassie getting it done. D?Antoni and Huff need to step up. No excuses. Good job lads. They played their tails off.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #29 on: September 02, 2022, 10:29:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good to see Spears, Brad Smith and his wife there. Great crowd, great atmosphere. Grassie getting it done. D?Antoni and Huff need to step up. No excuses. Good job lads. They played their tails off.

I think I saw Bob Pruett in the crowd

Can anyone confirm?

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, The E-Man

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2022, 10:51:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think I saw Bob Pruett in the crowd

Can anyone confirm?

Go Herd!
    Such a great Son of Marshall!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2022, 11:02:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great game, great crowd. Vinny Curry was there in an all-green suit with the rest of the Hall of Fame inductees.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, elginherd

Offline sardistim

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2022, 11:05:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First half we looked like a team ready to go back to the College Cup (Final Four).  First 15 of the 2nd half we looked even with Pitt.  Last 30 minutes they were the better team and the last 15 we were just desperately holding on. 

I don't know what we did in the last 24 hours, but we should NEVER do that again.  Every single field starter went down with cramps at some point in the match with the exception of the new French guy, who injured his foot, only played 29 minutes and never played in the 2nd half.  Two the subs that played 50+ minutes went down with cramps.  AND not a single Pitt player went down with cramps at any point in the game. 

There is no way that is a conditioning thing.  It's a hydration thing that begins earlier in the day.  Whether it was what they ate, or just not enough fluids hours before the game, it should NEVER be repeated. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, pembrook burrows III, chris88, The E-Man

Offline sardistim

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2022, 11:40:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now about the match and not the cramping...

Matthew Bell is just plain WOW.  We will be lucky to keep him for another year or two, and we may need to get him some good NIL money to do that.  He could be playing professionally next year.  His speed is out of this world, and his touch is even better.

The new French guy had some very nice passes / through balls and had both assists to Bell.  He came out of the game after the 2nd goal (along with Bell) and we did not look as dangerous again.  Partly that was how Pitt's back line adjusted, they played us much higher and also synchronized their movement up and back so that they repeatedly put us in offside positions.  A couple times we passed to a player who was clearly onside, but he was whistled because he had been on an offside position and came back in to receive the pass.

To me the midfield still has some work to do--but given the fact that we lost two masters (Diaz and Dollabella) that is not surprising.  Vinny played well, the Brazilian guy Viegas (sp) has potential but seemed to be out of position a few times.  The Asian guy played defensive mid the first half, moved up in the second and for awhile played well in space but too often was open but not found.

Overall, the two center backs are a great pair and I'd say our back line is as strong has it has been the last two years.  The front line with Bell is a step above what we've had.  If the midfielders can get stronger as the season goes along, we have the makings of another team that can go far in the NCAA tourney.  As long as we figure out the cramping thing from tonight :)

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2022, 11:41:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am so tickled we had 3,000 fans for tonight's match...

Offline sardistim

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2022, 11:52:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am so tickled we had 3,000 fans for tonight's match...

The official boxscore attendance said 1,800+.  I thought we'd be over 2K, but definitely less than the WVU match last year, which was 3K.

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

Offline elginherd

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2022, 12:35:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now about the match and not the cramping...

Matthew Bell is just plain WOW.  We will be lucky to keep him for another year or two, and we may need to get him some good NIL money to do that.  He could be playing professionally next year.  His speed is out of this world, and his touch is even better.

The new French guy had some very nice passes / through balls and had both assists to Bell.  He came out of the game after the 2nd goal (along with Bell) and we did not look as dangerous again.  Partly that was how Pitt's back line adjusted, they played us much higher and also synchronized their movement up and back so that they repeatedly put us in offside positions.  A couple times we passed to a player who was clearly onside, but he was whistled because he had been on an offside position and came back in to receive the pass.

To me the midfield still has some work to do--but given the fact that we lost two masters (Diaz and Dollabella) that is not surprising.  Vinny played well, the Brazilian guy Viegas (sp) has potential but seemed to be out of position a few times.  The Asian guy played defensive mid the first half, moved up in the second and for awhile played well in space but too often was open but not found.

Overall, the two center backs are a great pair and I'd say our back line is as strong has it has been the last two years.  The front line with Bell is a step above what we've had.  If the midfielders can get stronger as the season goes along, we have the makings of another team that can go far in the NCAA tourney.  As long as we figure out the cramping thing from tonight :)

Bell is a game wrecker.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2022, 12:35:51 AM »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2022, 12:41:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First half we looked like a team ready to go back to the College Cup (Final Four).  First 15 of the 2nd half we looked even with Pitt.  Last 30 minutes they were the better team and the last 15 we were just desperately holding on. 

I don't know what we did in the last 24 hours, but we should NEVER do that again.  Every single field starter went down with cramps at some point in the match with the exception of the new French guy, who injured his foot, only played 29 minutes and never played in the 2nd half.  Two the subs that played 50+ minutes went down with cramps.  AND not a single Pitt player went down with cramps at any point in the game. 

There is no way that is a conditioning thing.  It's a hydration thing that begins earlier in the day.  Whether it was what they ate, or just not enough fluids hours before the game, it should NEVER be repeated.

I agree that hydration is critical. But, yes, fitness IS critical to preventing cramping, also.
    On the very positive side, the Herd's club had enough quality depth to hold on. Grassie has obviously recruited well top to bottom.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2022, 08:33:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The official boxscore attendance said 1,800+.  I thought we'd be over 2K, but definitely less than the WVU match last year, which was 3K.

I don't count or collect tickets; I'm not challenging your figure, but reporting what I saw with my own eyes...we had one of our largest crowds ever, and this may not mean much to most, but there were over 3,000 fans last evening...not counted as paid ticket holders, but the people were there...

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2022, 08:57:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A commitment kept me watching last night's game but the Pitt athletics website wrote this:  "The Herd made a quick counter and Bell looked to be offsides but was not whistled and he buried his second goal of the match into the left corner."  Question, was there some doubt about Bell being onside?   

Offline sardistim

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2022, 09:09:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A commitment kept me watching last night's game but the Pitt athletics website wrote this:  "The Herd made a quick counter and Bell looked to be offsides but was not whistled and he buried his second goal of the match into the left corner."  Question, was there some doubt about Bell being onside?

From where I sat he looked on, but it was close.  I looked to the side judge as soon as he scored.  Bell has an amazing first step. If you are not on the mark as a side judge is you might assume he?s off just because when the ball?s kicked he?s going to accelerate faster than most defenders.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, mu79grad, luckytoes99

Offline carolinaherdfan

Re: Pittsburgh vs Marshall soc
    « Reply #41 on: September 03, 2022, 09:34:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It amazes me how we are a recent defending national champion, and yet the programs we schedule continue to make excuses to their fanbases when they lose to MU; yet, they have never/ever been champions...yes, they live in states with more people...yes, they have newspapers with higher circulation; BUT, they simply are not as good as the great Marshall University...

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, luckytoes99

Online svherd

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2022, 10:20:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The official boxscore attendance said 1,800+.  I thought we'd be over 2K, but definitely less than the WVU match last year, which was 3K.

The new expanded seating says its 2500 now. If that is true there were more than 2000 there last night. Jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2022, 10:26:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• This is from the Cleveland State website. Just a great feeling to have a program so well respected.

UP NEXT
    Cleveland State returns home on Tuesday, September 7 at 7 p.m. against No. 11 Marshall. This is one of two non-conference games that the Vikings will be charging for.

Single-game tickets are set at $10.00 for adults and $8.00 for youth 12 and under, while groups of 10 or more will be $6.00 per ticket (In advance only; Full price at the gate).

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man, herd247

Offline chris88

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My thoughts on big win over Pitt (sorry kinda long):

- I was reminded about why driving from Cincy to Hton can be a chore. I was about an hour later than expected (5:30 ish) due to 2-3 construction delays, a bridge being closed, and a major accident involving some teenagers on AA highway. Thankfully everyone was ok. Police had not arrived. I had to move some debris to be able to get around the side.

- Was blessed to speak with LuckyToes and his wife prior to game.  We were at MU at same time. I met a bunch of other really great people too. It amazes me how many normal, salt of the earth people I meet on these trips. Ran into some old frat brothers too.

- The soccer stadium looks great with changes/additions. Just a terrific atmosphere.  The crowd was great too, although not as wild as I expected.  One thing we need is a rowdy soccer hooligan student club.  The listed attendance of 1,879 is accurate. The press box side bleachers hold exactly 1,000. No way do the bleachers on other side hold that many. I saw the SRO sign on ticket window as I was leaving so the game sold out. My guess is new bleachers hold about 500. So about 1,500 in bleachers and another 379 SRO sounds about right. Not sure where the 2,500 came from. The WVU game last year had 3,033 so they must have sold a ton of SROs but that also was before the new bleachers. The 1,879 was 4th highest attendance for soccer game in country for weekend behind Scarolina vs Clemson at 5,449, UConn vs NJIT at 3,112, Maryland vs Denver (both ranked) at 3,050. They desperately need another concession stand.

- Game itself was everything I expected. I thought MU was better team in first half and could easily had 3 or 4 goals imo. Pitt really didn't have many good looks at all. Second was as others described with first 15-20 minutes being even although I think MU has best chance just out of reach from Milo and Holmes. Semmle again did a masterful job managing game and has key saves. People don't realize that some saves look easy because he is good positionally.  I was disappointed we were on our heels so much in last 20 or so minutes but after watching the replay yesterday I think it was more to do with our cramping issues than anything Pitt did. We had 6-7 stops for cramping and many times the player(s) had to go out. The really killed our connectivity/continuity on offense and led to some minor breakdowns on defense especially as it pertains to getting to spots whether that be substitutes or guys playing through cramping. Overall,  think the people off bench did a phenomenal job.  I didn't think Colin was great in some of his decision making.  His pass towards middle is what created the Pitt goal. He had ample opportunity to move ball back to outside and to Semmle as we had done all game but this mistake created numbers in box for Pitt.  He also had a few other curious decisions on throw ins and passes. I realize he is new to wing back but he was a liability at times last night. Alves is a guy who rarely if ever makes bad decisions.  I love Colin just expect a little more with his experience. He made a key play on a ball Pitt had in box as he slid in to kick dangerous ball away. Pitt has a couple uber talented skill guys and overall just a good, solid team.  I really felt like we were going to blow it toward end. So much so I left my seat and went to bathroom with about 5-6 minutes left.  I stayed out by concession area until they announced one minute left and went back in along railing close to field to watch the end. Big sigh of relief when Alves booted the ball high and long out of danger with 20 seconds left. And the celebration began.

- So after game I am celebrating with everyone along railing close to bench. Over a few minutes a man with soccer jersey is on my right and woman on my left. At one point one of them said "you think we'd be allowed to go onto field".  The lady to left of me says "I would think if you were the college president". I laughed and the lady says "he IS the president". Then I realized it was Brad Smith.  The lady on other side of me was his wife. I mean he had his MU soccer gear on and he was so small it hadn't dawned on me until she said that. Then I recognized him and introduced myself to both of them and told them what a great job they were doing.  Both super nice. They then said goodbye and ended up heading out onto field and I felt silly not recognizing him at first but thought it was a good story to share. A drove home after game and got there about 1am. 

Next up @Cleveland State (3-0) next Wednesday/ESPN+
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, luckytoes99

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #45 on: September 04, 2022, 12:14:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The cramping really messed with our flow, D, everything

Gotta get that fixed

We are loaded and ready to make a run at conference and national titles

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, The E-Man, luckytoes99, elginherd

Offline herd247

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2022, 11:09:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Such a great win for MU! After watching Pitt dismantle WVU, this win means even more.  Love to see the team step up and finish off one of the best teams in the country.  Go Herd!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2022, 11:09:08 AM »

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #47 on: September 09, 2022, 11:31:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Such a great win for MU! After watching Pitt dismantle WVU, this win means even more.  Love to see the team step up and finish off one of the best teams in the country.  Go Herd!

We owe WVU big time

Gotta pork them

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, ed swain

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2022, 04:41:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't even pretend I know all the ins and outs of soccer. But, I am always happy when we win. This program is getting the Marshall name back out there. Football and Basketball need to step it up. The school, as a whole, would benefit if we had three sports shining.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUinDE, chris88, luckytoes99, coalherd

Offline coalherd

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2022, 09:04:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We owe WVU big time

Gotta pork them

Go Herd!

Take em one at a time.  Pacific at home on Sunday.  Big road match at #5 Kentucky next Friday.  Then home at the VET on 9/24 to LOWER THE BOOM on the NEERS!!  :D

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2022, 09:04:38 PM »