Author Topic: Sonny Dykes  (Read 1094 times)

Offline goherd24

Sonny Dykes
« on: January 01, 2023, 03:41:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remarkable. Turns around a program that was 5-7 and turns them into a team making a national championship appearance. TCU has been irrelevant for years, but make the right coaching hire and boom. Great job by the athletic department at TCU. Shocked a lot of people last night.

HerdFans.com

Sonny Dykes
    « on: January 01, 2023, 03:41:42 PM »

Online ThunderingHerdFan

Re: Sonny Dykes
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 03:46:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TCU has been much, much better than "irrelevant" for years. They won a freaking Rose Bowl and multiple Fiesta Bowls.

That said, I agree with you that Sonny Dykes deserves every superlative thrown his way.

The following users thanked this post: scherd, mr_ash_1995, svherd, Always THE HERD, The E-Man, BigJimslade

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 04:01:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speed and athleticism kills

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 04:02:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm happy for TCU. Seeing both Ohio State and Michigan getting beat helped to take away the sting of our loss at home.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, VA Herd Fan

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 04:06:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You think he would consider bringing his TCU team to The Joan to make up for TCU not paying us back a home game due to 9-11-2001?

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, MicDrass1

Online 2xBison

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 04:16:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TCU has been much, much better than "irrelevant" for years. They won a freaking Rose Bowl and multiple Fiesta Bowls.

That said, I agree with you that Sonny Dykes deserves every superlative thrown his way.
    Maybe TCU is to football what UConn is to basketball.  . I kid they don't have the history like UConn but They certainly haven't been irrelevant.  He is correct about Sonny Dykes.  Impressive turn around and it's always good to see a former successful (couple of decades removed) mid major have success like this in college FB.

Don't see them beating UGA though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 04:41:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe TCU is to football what UConn is to basketball.  . I kid they don't have the history like UConn but They certainly haven't been irrelevant.  He is correct about Sonny Dykes.  Impressive turn around and it's always good to see a former successful (couple of decades removed) mid major have success like this in college FB.

They are a 13 point underdog.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 04:44:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TCU has amazing financial strength.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 05:03:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe TCU is to football what UConn is to basketball.  . I kid they don't have the history like UConn but They certainly haven't been irrelevant.  He is correct about Sonny Dykes.  Impressive turn around and it's always good to see a former successful (couple of decades removed) mid major have success like this in college FB.

Lol. Past 4 years
    5-7
    6-4
    5-7
    7-6

That is being irrelevant for years, no? And completely turned around by dykes.

Granted they got some cash to throw around but you still need the right coach!

PS. Uconn hadn't made an appearance in the top 25 for 5-6 years before this year. You keep bringing that up (and i know you're joking and busting my balls) but what i said was they had decent name recognition in mens basketball and that's fair. They aren't a duke or UK, UNC etc.

Nobody thought they'd beat michigan either. And not many thought georgia would have to get lucky to beat OSU either lol.

I can't wait for the expanded playoffs. Just one undefeated season and we got a shot.
    « Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 05:04:59 PM by goherd24 »

Online 2xBison

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 05:17:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok.  Maybe I'm just looking longer term cause I'm old.  Certainly concede on TCU if we are talking last four to five seasons

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 05:24:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I totally agree on difference of "years."

Regardless, to this day I feel strongly TCU was the best team in the country in 2014. The CFP shenanigans pulled in their very first year soured me on the whole thing and really damaged my love of college football.

TCU won the Peach Bowl in 2014, the Rose Bowl in 2011 and the Fiesta Bowl in 2010.  But it's also fair to say that's longer ago than it seems to my aging brain.

Online Herdiowa

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 08:15:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wild note from last night.  They displayed student population and TCU was around 12,200 or so.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2023, 08:15:58 PM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #12 on: January 01, 2023, 10:19:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TCU is a wealthy private school.  I give Dykes credit but anytime you see a guy do something like this in year 1, it's rarely all his doing and for the record he has never had success like this at any of his other head coaching stops.

I give a lot of credit to QB Max Duggan.  Btw he looks a lot like Chad Pennington, especially with his helmet on.  He plays phenomenal and Dykes didn't recruit him. 

We'll see how Dykes does without this senior laden team. 

Regardless of how things ended I thought Gary Patterson ran an excellent program.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MUther

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2023, 11:26:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beats watching an overrated Oklahoma represent the Big 12 in the playoffs, again.

Not particularly a fan of TCU, but it's refreshing to see a couple teams that have never been there play.  Both Mich and OSU made it closer than I thought they would.  First time I've watched the playoffs since like the first couple.  And I went to bed thinking OSU won, cause they were up big with just a few minutes left.  Must have been a crazy finish.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 12:43:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TCU is a wealthy private school.  I give Dykes credit but anytime you see a guy do something like this in year 1, it's rarely all his doing and for the record he has never had success like this at any of his other head coaching stops.

I give a lot of credit to QB Max Duggan.  Btw he looks a lot like Chad Pennington, especially with his helmet on.  He plays phenomenal and Dykes didn't recruit him. 

We'll see how Dykes does without this senior laden team. 

Regardless of how things ended I thought Gary Patterson ran an excellent program.

Jared Goff looks like Pennington in a helmet as well

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2023, 09:54:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lol. Past 4 years
    5-7
    6-4
    5-7
    7-6

That is being irrelevant for years, no? And completely turned around by dykes.

Granted they got some cash to throw around but you still need the right coach!

PS. Uconn hadn't made an appearance in the top 25 for 5-6 years before this year. You keep bringing that up (and i know you're joking and busting my balls) but what i said was they had decent name recognition in mens basketball and that's fair. They aren't a duke or UK, UNC etc.

Nobody thought they'd beat michigan either. And not many thought georgia would have to get lucky to beat OSU either lol.

I can't wait for the expanded playoffs. Just one undefeated season and we got a shot.

TCU has been relevant. The four years you cited was why they parted with Gary Patterson. Between 2000 and 2017 TCU had a 13 win season, two 12 win seasons, seven 11 win season and a 10 win season. They also had 17 bowl appearances including wins in a Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, Johnnyherd

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 10:04:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TCU is good.  Fast, athletic and physical

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 01:02:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jared Goff looks like Pennington in a helmet as well

Wow, I had the exact same thought watching him. It was uncanny of the similarity in the profile of his face while wearing the helmet. Also some of his motions/movements were also similar.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #18 on: January 02, 2023, 04:35:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow, I had the exact same thought watching him. It was uncanny of the similarity in the profile of his face while wearing the helmet. Also some of his motions/movements were also similar.

Tell me if I'm crazy but in certain angles and especially with the helmet this kid could be Chad's son.

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms, Always THE HERD, ru4mu2

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #19 on: January 02, 2023, 04:53:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tell me if I'm crazy but in certain angles and especially with the helmet this kid could be Chad's son.

You are spot on. Max Duggan is who I was referring to. I just now noticed MicDrass1 said he also looks like Goff, which he does a little.. But I was referring to Duggan from last nights game.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 09:13:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess TCU peaked at the semifinal game? UGA had 589 total yards to TCU 188 yards. TCU had 3 turnovers and UGA had none.

Check out the statistics.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup/_/gameId/401442010
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:28:15 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 09:30:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's not like they'll feel good about it or anything, but at least they know they were against a significantly better team. There is still a lot of honor (+money and prestige) attached to being in the championship team. I am grateful Georgia for beating Ohio State or we would have had to listen to those insufferable Buckeye fans for a year.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2023, 09:30:16 AM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2023, 09:50:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know if this is good or bad for TCU. Yes they can say they made it to the NCG. But they will be remembered for getting totally destroyed and embarrassed in that game. I mean 65-7?

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2023, 10:01:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm happy for TCU. Seeing both Ohio State and Michigan getting beat helped to take away the sting of our loss at home.

Our loss at home
    What does that mean

Offline svherd

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 10:15:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Despite the beat down, I'd say we'd trade places with them in a heartbeat.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2023, 10:15:04 AM »