Author Topic: Top Drawer Soccer Names Mathew Bell One Of Top 10 Freshman In Country  (Read 735 times)

Offline chris88

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They named a top 100 and he was in top 10 according to MU soccer twitter. Did not look at entire list.

Congrats to Bell!
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, jsbowen, mu79grad, The E-Man, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: Top Drawer Soccer Names Mathew Bell One Of Top 10 Freshman In Country
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 01:26:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They named a top 100 and he was in top 10 according to MU soccer twitter. Did not look at entire list.

Congrats to Bell!

And I've heard he's coming back

Another baller in the truck as well but his name will be out soon I hope

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88, The E-Man

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 01:42:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep. Coming back. Now I wonder if Alves is coming back? That would be huge!!!

Get another solid mid like Max and we can dominate!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, The E-Man

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 02:10:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think Alves is gone unfortunately. Low level pro deal or more annoying a transfer :(

Souza transferred to Pitt

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 02:21:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think Holmes can do the Max role if gets better with losing possession. Far too loose there and put us in bad spots a lot this season. I like him as he's physical so hopefully he's working on his game.

We need two stud creators to replace Souza and send Okiyoshi to the bench. Maybe the Frenchman but don't know about his game

I kind of like Bell at winger or attacking mid
    « Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:50:54 PM by Garbanjo »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, mu79grad

Offline MidlandKnight

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 02:43:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Alves is gone unfortunately. Low level pro deal or more annoying a transfer :(

Souza transferred to Pitt

Why did we lose Souza? Was he going to get beat out, or did somebody offer him a better NIL?

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 02:50:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why did we lose Souza? Was he going to get beat out, or did somebody offer him a better NIL?

Dunno

I just heard he transferred to Pitt. Not even sure if it's 100%

Can anyone confirm?

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 06:16:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are gonna be loaded up front. Loaded

Need help in midfield and wingback

I'm confident Grassie will land us ballers for those areas

Go Herd!

Online whf

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 07:52:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Souza is good enough to be very good somewhere, just another player here. I suspect he wanted more money and more playing time both. The NIL thing is very scary.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline chris88

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 10:50:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You have to remember that many other schools have deeper pockets than MU.  It is tough for MU to match what some schools can give a student, especially international students.  This isn't so much a NIL thing as it is basic living expenses or to offset living expenses....at least that is what I was told in general. I know nothing about the Souza situation. It would also be tough for Grassie to give scholly money to guys that have already been at MU 5 years without not giving money to younger players/signees. I could be wrong about all this but that is my understanding.  Someone else may very well have a better handle on things.  IMO, I always thought Alves was good enough to be a good midfielder.  With his size and skill he would be tough to handle.

As stated I trust Grassie
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: jsbowen

Offline Luke80

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 06:52:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My understanding is that international students that are here on an F-1 visa are not eligible to have a ?job? outside of the campus and this makes NIL deals unavailable to them.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, jsbowen, chris88

Offline chris88

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 08:51:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was wondering if we'd be better off this year playing a 3-5-3. We have 3 pretty good back liners in Siedu, Duggan, and Bamford but none move ball particularly well or much of an offensive threat.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, jsbowen

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 08:51:25 AM »

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 09:56:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was wondering if we'd be better off this year playing a 3-5-3. We have 3 pretty good back liners in Siedu, Duggan, and Bamford but none move ball particularly well or much of an offensive threat.

Yea three strong CBs but weak at fullback as Colin is gone and it looks like Gabby is as well

Let's see what Grassie does with recruiting and tactics

Go Herd!

Offline jsbowen

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 03:09:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I liked the idea of keeping the same general formation, but using Seidu at Alves' spot and moving Alves to Max's old spot. Seidu appears to have all the skills needed for that position, just not sure if he is comfortable out there though. Duggan and Bamford would be the CBs. I thought that would shore up our defense and solve the issue of not having a suitable replacement for Max.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline jsbowen

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 03:11:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dunno

I just heard he transferred to Pitt. Not even sure if it's 100%

Can anyone confirm?

The Pitt student directory has a Joao Souza listed.  I can't confirm that it's actually our Joao Souza though.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline jsbowen

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, whf, chris88, luckytoes99

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach

The following users thanked this post: jsbowen

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 04:11:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Stjernegaard sounds like a stud. 13 assists in 21 games for Quinnipiac.

They finished 60/212 in the RPI so it's not like they were a scrub school either.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 04:15:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Stjernegaard sounds like a stud. 13 assists in 21 games for Quinnipiac.

They finished 60/212 in the RPI so it's not like they were a scrub school either.

Yep and 4 Goals

Sounds like a great addition

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

Online CoachMaclid

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 04:28:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • New signee:

https://gobobcats.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/alexander-stjernegaard/12275

Looks to be one of the two outstanding pieces we still needed, a dynamic scoring thread and assist player from the midfield.  He was USC Third-Team All-Region, the MAAC Freshman of the Year, and led Quinnipiac in assists (13), and tallied 21 points over 21 contests for them.  His team lost to #8 Vermont in OT in the NCAA Tournament last year.  I would venture that he's coming here to be a starter for us.

Current lineup projection:

Garcia-Pascual
    Bell
    Aoumaich
    Stjernegaard
    Godard
    Okiyoshi
    Holmes
    Seido
    Duggan
    Bamford
    Rose

I feel like we're still maybe one piece shy at midfield, and really don't know yet if Godard is an answer, but I expect his transfer in an attempted answer.  We don't have a big, tall enforcer type in out front, as both the transfer midfielders are in the 5'8 range.  But at this point I also have to believe we are out of scholarship equivalents to offer with this lineup.  This is about as solid of a reload as we could have expected.  Picked up 2 conference PotY award winners, an elite GK, and returned our leading scorer, I think we will still compete for an SBC title this year (which should be the immediate goal with Kentucky having claimed the last two).
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 04:33:32 PM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, jsbowen, chris88, luckytoes99

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #20 on: January 05, 2023, 04:43:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looks to be one of the two outstanding pieces we still needed, a dynamic scoring thread and assist player from the midfield.  He was USC Third-Team All-Region, the MAAC Freshman of the Year, and led Quinnipiac in assists (13), and tallied 21 points over 21 contests for them.  His team lost to #8 Vermont in OT in the NCAA Tournament last year.  I would venture that he's coming here to be a starter for us.

Current lineup projection:

Garcia-Pascual
    Bell
    Aoumaich
    Stjernegaard
    Godard
    Okiyoshi
    Holmes
    Seido
    Duggan
    Bamford
    Rose

I feel like we're still maybe one piece shy at midfield, and really don't know yet if Godard is an answer, but I expect his transfer in an attempted answer.  We don't have a big, tall enforcer type in out front, as both the transfer midfielders are in the 5'8 range.  But at this point I also have to believe we are out of scholarship equivalents to offer with this lineup.  This is about as solid of a reload as we could have expected.  Picked up 2 conference PotY award winners, an elite GK, and returned our leading scorer, I think we will still compete for an SBC title this year (which should be the immediate goal with Kentucky having claimed the last two).

I've heard more "dudes" are coming

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, svherd, jsbowen, chris88, luckytoes99

Offline chris88

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 06:17:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Viega, Brito, Iusem and some others from last year will also be in the mix in addition to the transfers. Iusem has size and a good shot. Every season it seems we get 2-3 FR/SOPH that crack lineup.  Last year Bell and Holmes started as FR. Bamford came on as a SO and Brito and Viega got lots of PT too. Adjetly also back.

Quinnipiac was actually one of few teams to beat Vermont earlier in season (2-0). Vermont went to Elite Eight before falling 1-2 to eventual natl champ Syracuse.  He also led team in minutes. Only downside in stats is he had 41 shots and only 12 on goal so a better passer than scorer to this point...much like Aoumache.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, jsbowen

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2023, 06:17:16 PM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2023, 08:31:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BTW, the Quinnipiac transfer was also in the top 100 FR. I believe he was #48 (Bell was #8)

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #23 on: January 12, 2023, 12:29:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Alves is not coming back

Anyone hearing anything else?

Offline svherd