Author Topic: Listening to DD on the Ga Southern pregame  (Read 1285 times)

Offline forphase1

Re: Listening to DD on the Ga Southern pregame
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A weak schedule that includes 3 of the top teams in the  MAC a team near the top of the A-10 and a team that most likely will win the OVC. The other teams on the schedule are comparable to the schedule most years with the lack of one money game. Frankly I enjoyed watching the team play so many OOC games at home

That's great that we had a ton of home games against the sisters of poor that fans were able to see.  But either 1) it did a poor job of preparing us as a team or 2) the coaches are doing a poor job of preparing us, and we'd be in the same position right now even with a harder schedule.  Either way the fault is on the coaching/administration for the way we are currently playing. 

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, MUther, coalherd, FilmJunky

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 09:04:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like Huff, Grassie, etc. The B'ball staff responsible for preparation, development and getting the kids ready to play. Let's turn this thing around - fast. Hopefully we get well Saturday.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, 2xBison, parshall2marshall, wlf, coalherd

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A weak schedule that includes 3 of the top teams in the  MAC a team near the top of the A-10 and a team that most likely will win the OVC. The other teams on the schedule are comparable to the schedule most years with the lack of one money game. Frankly I enjoyed watching the team play so many OOC games at home
    It was nice to have all the home games. But, would one money game be that big of a difference? Unfortunately, the schedule is what it is. Let's see if this team can snap out of it. I know my wife, a friend of ours, and myself will be there Saturday pulling for the Herd. I know Herdmeister will be there and quite a few others on this board. Even if you don't care for the coach, support the players.

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Offline MUonium

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 12:37:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i agree with those who've said:

we're a streak team on both sides of the ball, call it live by the sword die by the sword, if you want

when we play teams who are equal to or better athletically or equal to or better bench we struggle

it's a %^&* foul shot

it's a %^&* time out

for a team that's supposed to be good in transition to either end...

so goes what we saw signs of better substitutions this year

to be continued

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2023, 12:42:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder what percentage of D1 BBall programs red shirt guys?  My guess is the answer would be laughably low. 

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #30 on: January 06, 2023, 12:47:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That is laughable.  Top teams in the MAC isn?t who we should be using to get prepared for right conference games.  We should be playing a money game or two and some of the higher mid majors.  That is just a fact.  If you aren?t prepared when the conference games start you see what happened large last two games. 

I am glad you enjoy watching home games.  I enjoy watching games too but I enjoy seeing us play games that prepare us to win conference games. It is time to stop the mentality that three or four days in March is all that matters.  Beating Toledo or Akron doesn?t get us the publicity as beating a higher level team (see the win in football vs Notre Dame).

Our program will never get to where it can be by beating up a bunch of teams in the OOC team that don?t challenge us and then finish 4 or 5 in what is perceived to be a weaker conference than where we were. I am more in the side I want us to be the best team possible but just a 16 seed.  The Sun Belt as a whole needs to schedule wisely and win games against some bigger programs. That doesn?t mean schedule the top 25 all the time but other teams that will help the perception. 

The following users thanked this post: svherd, mu79grad, Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2023, 01:10:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is laughable.  Top teams in the MAC isn?t who we should be using to get prepared for right conference games.  We should be playing a money game or two and some of the higher mid majors.  That is just a fact.  If you aren?t prepared when the conference games start you see what happened large last two games. 

I am glad you enjoy watching home games.  I enjoy watching games too but I enjoy seeing us play games that prepare us to win conference games. It is time to stop the mentality that three or four days in March is all that matters.  Beating Toledo or Akron doesn?t get us the publicity as beating a higher level team (see the win in football vs Notre Dame).

Our program will never get to where it can be by beating up a bunch of teams in the OOC team that don?t challenge us and then finish 4 or 5 in what is perceived to be a weaker conference than where we were. I am more in the side I want us to be the best team possible but just a 16 seed.  The Sun Belt as a whole needs to schedule wisely and win games against some bigger programs. That doesn?t mean schedule the top 25 all the time but other teams that will help the perception.

If you think most SB teams are any better than Duquesne, Toledo, Ohio or akron then you are out of your mind. You act like those teams are D2 and now we have to face the mighty SB conference and aren't prepared lmao!!! We simply aren't playing like we were and it has nothing about who we are playing. Good grief!!!

The following users thanked this post: DallasGreen

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2023, 04:10:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is laughable.  Top teams in the MAC isn?t who we should be using to get prepared for right conference games.  We should be playing a money game or two and some of the higher mid majors.  That is just a fact.  If you aren?t prepared when the conference games start you see what happened large last two games. 

Miami is currently 6-8; Ohio U is 8-6; Akron is 9-5 and Toledo is 9-5. Except for Miami (a really bad team), the other three teams seem to be decent. Ohio U lost their two best players from last year to the portal. The MAC teams we played don't appear to be the top teams in the MAC at this point of the season.  Kent State and Ball State seem to be the best teams with 11-3 and 10-4 records.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2023, 04:19:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you think most SB teams are any better than Duquesne, Toledo, Ohio or akron then you are out of your mind. You act like those teams are D2 and now we have to face the mighty SB conference and aren't prepared lmao!!! We simply aren't playing like we were and it has nothing about who we are playing. Good grief!!!
    I have no problem playing Ohio and another MAC school. Four of them in one season seems a little much. Duquesne is another I don't mind playing. Maybe with Spears as AD, we can get into one of those preseason tournaments and play some decent teams.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2023, 04:22:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have no problem playing Ohio and another MAC school. Four of them in one season seems a little much. Duquesne is another I don't mind playing. Maybe with Spears as AD, we can get into one of those preseason tournaments and play some decent teams.

it doesn't matter until we get enough men on the roster who can finish on both ends.  otherwise we're a mid pack program

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2023, 06:30:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You are right.  The other thing is it?s sad that so many will defend every single silly decision the basketball program makes. Some are incapable of independent thought or objectivity simply because they will repeat anything ?Danny? tells them to believe.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, beau42m

Offline beau42m

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2023, 06:45:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was nice to have all the home games. But, would one money game be that big of a difference? Unfortunately, the schedule is what it is. Let's see if this team can snap out of it. I know my wife, a friend of ours, and myself will be there Saturday pulling for the Herd. I know Herdmeister will be there and quite a few others on this board. Even if you don't care for the coach, support the players.
    My sentiments exactly. I just can't get over the situation that Spears could have and should have corrected 10 1/2 months ago. We're probably stuck with a "coach for life" situation now.
    « Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:48:44 PM by beau42m »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2023, 06:45:17 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2023, 08:24:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Miami is currently 6-8; Ohio U is 8-6; Akron is 9-5 and Toledo is 9-5. Except for Miami (a really bad team), the other three teams seem to be decent. Ohio U lost their two best players from last year to the portal. The MAC teams we played don't appear to be the top teams in the MAC at this point of the season.  Kent State and Ball State seem to be the best teams with 11-3 and 10-4 records.

And perhaps, surprisingly, right now Duquesne stands as our most impressive OOC win.  They have a solid record at this point, something like 12-4 or so and play in an acknowledged better basketball conference, the A-10.  IMO, we might be better off boosting the overall caliber of our schedule by dropping a MAC team or two and picking up another foe or two from the A-10.  See Dayton, VCU, St. Bonnie, Richmond.  The travel would be comparable to that of playing the MAC foes we face.  If we can't/won't play any MAJOR foes, the next logical step is to improve the caliber of the Mid-Major opponents we play.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2023, 08:31:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it doesn't matter until we get enough men on the roster who can finish on both ends.  otherwise we're a mid pack program

Speaking "optimistically", MUonium, let's hope that's not a "run-of-the-mill" mid-pack program!!

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2023, 07:53:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of the teams The Herd has defeated: Toledo is #112 on the Net ratings and #102 on Pomeroy. Duquesne is #121 on the Net and #114 on Pomeroy. Of course the ratings change with every game, but neither team seems to be world beaters. They seem to be what they are, wins against decent teams, nothing more.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2023, 09:09:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And perhaps, surprisingly, right now Duquesne stands as our most impressive OOC win.  They have a solid record at this point, something like 12-4 or so and play in an acknowledged better basketball conference, the A-10.  IMO, we might be better off boosting the overall caliber of our schedule by dropping a MAC team or two and picking up another foe or two from the A-10.  See Dayton, VCU, St. Bonnie, Richmond.  The travel would be comparable to that of playing the MAC foes we face.  If we can't/won't play any MAJOR foes, the next logical step is to improve the caliber of the Mid-Major opponents we play.

We have tried for a few years to get more A-10 teams on our schedule. Only Duquesne will do a home and home.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline coalherd

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2023, 11:53:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have tried for a few years to get more A-10 teams on our schedule. Only Duquesne will do a home and home.

Mayge, HM, instead of making such info known to some "Practice Favorites", Coach D would be better off talking about things like scheduling problems/issues on his MEDIA shows, thus SHARING it with "All" Herd Fans, the general public, etc.  Such openness would probably be better overall for both him and his program.

But now that the Athletic Department has downsized the CAM, for whatever the reason, to less than half of its prior capacity, the chances are even much less to bring more quality opponents to H-town.  Somebody at MU sure has a very odd and weird way of building a quality basketball "program" at Marshall, which, remember, is what D'Antoni claimed was his goal when he first got to town: "build a program, not a team"!!

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2023, 11:56:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mayge, HM, instead of making such info known to some "Practice Favorites", Coach D would be better off talking about things like scheduling problems/issues on his MEDIA shows, thus SHARING it with "All" Herd Fans, the general public, etc.  Such openness would probably be better overall for both him and his program.

But now that the Athletic Department has downsized the CAM, for whatever the reason, to less than half of its prior capacity, the chances are even much less to bring more quality opponents to H-town.  Somebody at MU sure has a very odd and weird way of building a quality basketball "program" at Marshall, which, remember, is what D'Antoni claimed was his goal when he first got to town: "build a program, not a team"!!

What a tool!!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2023, 12:23:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a tool!!!

Sorry bust, but the subject of the thread is not "your MOM"!!

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2023, 12:30:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry bust, but the subject of the thread is not "your MOM"!!

Ok toolboy!!! Come down to a practice you little whinny ass!!!

Offline herd2win

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2023, 12:55:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Enough of the scheduling excuses because other teams play P5s and don't schedule 10 home games to start the season.

We have 13 players on scholarship and only about 8 are capable of playing. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2023, 01:16:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mayge, HM, instead of making such info known to some "Practice Favorites", Coach D would be better off talking about things like scheduling problems/issues on his MEDIA shows, thus SHARING it with "All" Herd Fans, the general public, etc.  Such openness would probably be better overall for both him and his program.

Interesting point about reducing the size of the CAM, that will probably reduce the revenue generated by the basketball team. It will be harder to pay guarantees for a higher level program to visit MU. That makes it imperative that MU schedule a money game on the road in future seasons. Plus if you win the money game MU generates publicity and interest in MU. I am sure President Brad Smith saw the impact of the Notre Dame win. I am sure Smith is media savvy and knows the importance of winning those types of games. That is one way to attract a larger base of student applicants to attend MU.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 01:31:39 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2023, 01:16:08 PM »

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2023, 05:31:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We didn't remove the seats...I'm sure the tarps could be removed & seats ready to be occupied in a couple hours

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2023, 07:20:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ok toolboy!!! Come down to a practice you little whinny ass!!!
    I know you directed your post at Coal, but I have seen other posts that said people should come to practice and ask DD questions. Two things come to mind on this logic:
    1) Many on this board work and cannot take time off just to watch practice.
    2) Many people don't really care about practice.

I'm sure I could come up with a few more. These two, especially the first one, is where I would fall. Some people are the opposite like you Bust and Herdmeister. I also don't care for coaches shows. Never have. Therefore, you will not see me at Calamity J's for the coaches show. Those things just don't excite me.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2023, 09:07:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting point about reducing the size of the CAM, that will probably reduce the revenue generated by the basketball team. It will be harder to pay guarantees for a higher level program to visit MU. That makes it imperative that MU schedule a money game on the road in future seasons. Plus if you win the money game MU generates publicity and interest in MU. I am sure President Brad Smith saw the impact of the Notre Dame win. I am sure Smith is media savvy and knows the importance of winning those types of games. That is one way to attract a larger base of student applicants to attend MU.
    No change in the revenue right now as we have not hit 5000 fans in the stands this season.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2023, 09:07:15 PM »