Author Topic: making matters worse  (Read 1169 times)

Offline MUther

making matters worse
« on: January 05, 2023, 09:21:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU lost to bottom dweller TxSt

HerdFans.com

making matters worse
    « on: January 05, 2023, 09:21:02 PM »

Offline GreenWhite

Re: making matters worse
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 09:33:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU and Georgia Southern came out ready to kick our butts. Big leads at halftime are hard to overcome. You use so much energy trying to fight back that there is not enough left in the tank near the end of the game.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 09:46:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Makes matters a lot better if our goal is to still win the regular season title.

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 02:26:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure I understand the rationale of "making matters worse" as that result simply throws JMU back into the list of teams we now regain our destiny over.  As of this moment, we still control our own destiny over 12 of the 13 SBC teams.   

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline beau42m

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 02:31:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Soon I will be consulting playoffstatus.com to determine the probability of the Herd winning or not winning the conference regular season title. And the Herd is 1-2 out of the blocks. The easy OOC schedule did not help matters, Danny!

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 08:59:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • SunBelt hoops showing to not be very good maybe? The Herd should fit right in.

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 09:08:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, looking on the "positive" side, the JMU loss, at home, may be an indication of SBC overall "balance", regardless of the caliber of the League's basketball overall!  Which, to me, means that there is very little likelihood of any team or teams just running away with the regular season conference race for the championship.  In other words, a lot of parity.

The HERD, IMO, needs to take advantage of that situation, starting Saturday with the Coastal game.  We are in a run of a lot of home games and we need to make hay and string together a bunch of "Ws"!  Looking at the schedule in February it's clear that the HERD will spend a lot of time on the road, including 4 road games over a two week stretch.  Need to start winning NOW while we have a lot more games in the CAM!!

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Offline MUther

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 12:31:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure I understand the rationale of "making matters worse" as that result simply throws JMU back into the list of teams we now regain our destiny over.  As of this moment, we still control our own destiny over 12 of the 13 SBC teams.

It means our loss wasn't to a good team.  So we lose to GaSo and our other conference loss turns out to be to a team not nearly as strong as we though.  But you keep hanging on to that Dan dream of we'll win the tournament and dance, while I watch us lose to the equivalent of Rice in the first round, again.  Suckers.

Offline beau42m

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 02:20:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Herd has a 14% chance of winning the Sun Belt Regular Season Championship in Men's basketball, according to playoffstatus.com. And they do not control their own destiny to do so at this point.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 03:01:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some interesting scores on Saturday, particularly among SBC eastern schools just seem to confirm that the race for a League championship is going to be wide open.  JMU lost again, at home, to App State; ODU, now 10-6 won at GA Southern; GA State lost at Louisiana; Southern Miss, like ODU coming soon to the CAM, is now 14-3, after winning at UL-Monroe.  Finally, "mighty" Queens lost at home to Kennesaw.  Herd just needs to play em one at a time, but string together a bunch of "Ws"!!

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It means our loss wasn't to a good team.  So we lose to GaSo and our other conference loss turns out to be to a team not nearly as strong as we though.  But you keep hanging on to that Dan dream of we'll win the tournament and dance, while I watch us lose to the equivalent of Rice in the first round, again.  Suckers.

It's simple, really. JMU and Ga. Southern played over their heads against us and couldn't sustain their efforts in subsequent games.

We were their Super Bowl.

We need to improve but we're not in as bad of shape within the league as it initially appeared.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, horsrman

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 09:03:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It means our loss wasn't to a good team.  So we lose to GaSo and our other conference loss turns out to be to a team not nearly as strong as we though.  But you keep hanging on to that Dan dream of we'll win the tournament and dance, while I watch us lose to the equivalent of Rice in the first round, again.  Suckers.

No, all it means is you have an agenda.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 09:03:56 AM »

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 09:16:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are right in contention for the double-bye. That's most important.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, ThunderingHerdFan

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 10:34:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are right in contention for the double-bye. That's most important.

Have to play much better as we have looked poor several games in a row now

Taylor needs rest each half as he is already showing signs of wearing down. We can't win if he isn't fresh second half of season. Have to play Early ~10 minutes a game to help keep our guards fresh, even if he isn't as effective as the starters. Coach him up DD.

Obinna cannot shoot 3s until he gets his stroke fixed. He must attack the rim and get putbacks and dunks.

The whole team needs to shoot about a million free throws and 3s. DD must require it as we just don't shoot well enough from deep and free throws have already burned us this year.

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, coalherd

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have to play much better as we have looked poor several games in a row now

Taylor needs rest each half as he is already showing signs of wearing down. We can't win if he isn't fresh second half of season. Have to play Early ~10 minutes a game to help keep our guards fresh, even if he isn't as effective as the starters. Coach him up DD.

Obinna cannot shoot 3s until he gets his stroke fixed. He must attack the rim and get putbacks and dunks.

The whole team needs to shoot about a million free throws and 3s. DD must require it as we just don't shoot well enough from deep and free throws have already burned us this year.

Go Herd!

Honestly I'll bet there isn't a team that puts up more shots in practice than us. Every drill has 3-4 shots going up off one drill. It's a fast paced shooting drill that has multiple shots going up bam bam bam. Sometimes I think the fast paced drill of passing is why we sometimes see a guy fairly open underneath and the pass it back out. Like a habit of moving the ball.

Offline svherd

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 11:07:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  quote author=ThunderingHerdFan link=topic=115070.msg1010527#msg1010527 date=1673183880]
    It's simple, really. JMU and Ga. Southern played over their heads against us and couldn't sustain their efforts in subsequent games.

We were their Super Bowl.

We need to improve but we're not in as bad of shape within the league as it initially appeared.
    [/quote] :D

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 11:10:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly I'll bet there isn't a team that puts up more shots in practice than us. Every drill has 3-4 shots going up off one drill. It's a fast paced shooting drill that has multiple shots going up bam bam bam. Sometimes I think the fast paced drill of passing is why we sometimes see a guy fairly open underneath and the pass it back out. Like a habit of moving the ball.

Then it's technique, which can coached up

Or maybe not lol, whatever it is what DD is doing now isn't working

Get it fixed

Go Herd!

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2023, 11:14:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then it's technique, which can coached up

Or maybe not lol, whatever it is what DD is doing now isn't working

Get it fixed

Go Herd!

13-4 isn't working? I mean we had a couple game rough stretch but what do you expect 17-0? I've seen some pretty good basketball from this team most of the season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 11:53:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 13-4 isn't working? I mean we had a couple game rough stretch but what do you expect 17-0? I've seen some pretty good basketball from this team most of the season.

I meant shooting.....free throws and threes

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 11:57:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I meant shooting.....free throws and threes

FTs for sure. That has to get better.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf, herdfifteen

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 01:01:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FTs for sure. That has to get better.

And 3s

We have four guys that shoot over 30% in a system that heavily relies on the 3

One barely plays (Early at 40%) and another is much more selective in shooting the 3 (Kinsey). Others are Kurfman and Taylor who shoot over 30%.

It's not good enough to win the conference imo

Get it fixed

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 02:22:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fricks and Conner are both just under 30%.  I think they are capable of getting that up a bit.  Low 30s from them would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman, wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 02:22:36 PM »