Author Topic: D'Antoni Georgia Southern post game presser  (Read 732 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
D'Antoni Georgia Southern post game presser
« on: January 06, 2023, 06:49:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

HerdFans.com

D'Antoni Georgia Southern post game presser
    « on: January 06, 2023, 06:49:37 AM »

Offline herd2win

Re: D'Antoni Georgia Southern post game presser
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 07:15:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our reporters are super weak.  Hardly any questions and zero follow up questions.  Down 3 why not call a timeout coach as you stress the 3 point shot?

Grade school students could ask better questions.  Also, Dan is never accountable to our poor play.

Offline Big City

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 07:49:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It just stinks. Seems like a similar trend for me each season. I get all excited, optimistic outlook and bam. Marshall loses to Queens. Ok, take a step back it's game one. Then the team gets on a good roll getting a win streak going and bam, another loss to a team they probably should have beaten. Ok, ok wait till conference play, they will be fine and out of the gate 1-2. My optimism is fading fast. My confidence in the coach is eroding - again.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, SouthernHerd, forphase1, mr_ash_1995, svherd, The E-Man, miltonherdfan, MUther

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 08:07:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our reporters are super weak.  Hardly any questions and zero follow up questions.  Down 3 why not call a timeout coach as you stress the 3 point shot?

Grade school students could ask better questions.  Also, Dan is never accountable to our poor play.

Interesting to me that at the half when the GSU coach was being interviewed he took full responsibility for his team's sloppy play in the last 45 seconds of the half.  Not sure what he could have done because of the turnover and Kinsey hitting a buzzer beater but I was impressed by what he said.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 08:32:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not looking for arguments but discussion here.

On the two possessions the play by play guy thought we should have called timeout, we were called for an offensive foul with Kinsey going 1-on-1 to the basket on the first trip, and with Taylor shooting a layup with 11 seconds left the second time. We were down 3 but GS was missing FT's and leaving door open. I'm not sure we get better looks with timeouts than we got on the play anyway.

Just throwing that out for thought and discussion. I prefer playing through because you know what you're doing while the D is scrambling. But that's just my opinion and better basketball minds than mine have differing opinions.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 08:36:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Poor post game interview by DD. 

Usual "I could care less, let's hurry and get this overwith" questions by the media.

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 08:41:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

On the two possessions the play by play guy thought we should have called timeout, we were called for an offensive foul with Kinsey going 1-on-1 to the basket on the first trip, and with Taylor shooting a layup with 11 seconds left the second time. We were down 3 but GS was missing FT's and leaving door open. I'm not sure we get better looks with timeouts than we got on the play anyway.

Just throwing that out for thought and discussion. I prefer playing through because you know what you're doing while the D is scrambling. But that's just my opinion and better basketball minds than mine have differing opinions.

You are right.  Fans just find reasons to blame the coach.  I would have liked to have seen a 3 attempt on Andy's drive, but it could have worked out either way.  We lost that game in the first half and coach addressed that.  I really think the Fricks injury has hurt us more than expected.  He always came in and played hard, scrappy and brought intensity.  The common theme with these 2 losses...Fricks injured and Conner not getting the minutes for some reason.  Those guys changed the game for us during the winning streak. 

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 08:47:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have been told several times that the SBC will be weak and we will just overwhelm the teams ...now I'm not so sure about that. We have shown they are a lot better than we thought. Get your act together DD, take responsibility and coach this team up.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 08:47:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Kinsey going 1-on-1 is what we wanted. It didn't work out. I agree.

My problem is why not call one of your two timeouts after the offensive foul and set up....yes....."STRATEGY".

Set up a full-court defense that takes away their best FT throw shooter. Trap the first pass. Know who you want Ga Southern getting the ball and fouling. Then set up what you are going to do offensively depending on the FT outcomes.

At that point, you still have 1 timeout to use in case you come down the court and make the basket. Then you use the last timeout and set up STRATEGY again.

My problem with Dan is that for the past two seasons he complains about how "other teams use the portal and are older". OKAY, fine. Then a coach that proclaims he has a younger team needs to help his younger team in late game situations by using his timeouts rather than taking them to the locker room. I don't think you necessarily had to call timeout with Kinsey having a 1-on-1 look. But when that failed, help your guys by taking a timeout and regrouping. Less than 35 seconds and you have two in your pocket, help your "young team".

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, mu79grad, The E-Man

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 08:55:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have been told several times that the SBC will be weak and we will just overwhelm the teams ...now I'm not so sure about that. We have shown they are a lot better than we thought. Get your act together DD, take responsibility and coach this team up.

They are not better than what we thought. This Marshall team is worse than what we thought. Just like every year they beat up bad teams and lose to decent/teams. Especially on the road.

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 09:44:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • as several pointed out during the offseason...there is NO way that a 21-loss CUSA team = SBC champ when you return the same roster & same coach with exception of a 1-dimensional transfer from VMI & a couple freshmen

some on here way oversell CUSA & act as if SBC is some D-II conference...they aren't THAT far apart

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1, ru4mu2, MUther

Offline HerdsHerd

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 10:11:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This season has been nothing but Fools Gold.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 10:11:18 AM »

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 10:25:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is it just me but the Connor kid seems to have lost his aggressiveness?  Fricks and Connor early in the season when they came in you saw intensity level rise defensively.  Somebody needs to help the young center defend the post.  They are shoving him all over the place.

As far as the season goes it?s just Dan being Dan.  I know a lot of people are growing weary of it.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline overherd1

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 10:38:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Felt like last night was a big game for this team coming after the loss at home.  For whatever reason, it seemed like we did not come out ready to play.  Team needs to understand that the intensity needs to be there all the time.  Not sure why they don't realize that.  Another tough loss after expectations for the season were very high.  Disappointing loss for sure.  Lots of basketball left to play.  It looked like earlier in the year the defense was going to be a strong point, doesn't look that way any more.  Sure hope we can right the ship!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2023, 11:27:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After a big loss, the team was not ready to play. Whose fault is that? Let's hope this team doesn't start playing like last season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline banker

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 11:39:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe we turn it around and win the conference, but make no mistake, that would be unexpected. What is not unexpected is losing games like last night. We?ve been doing that, several times a season, in every non-Elmore year (and even so to a lesser extent when he was here).

At some point you just have to acknowledge it?s leadership. If the players aren?t ready to play, why aren?t they?  I cringed when he said ?we told them to quit trapping and they kept doing it anyway?. Who did you jerk off the floor for not listening?  You can hate Huggins and wvu but you know when players don?t listen to him they need to find a seat at the end of a bench no matter who they are.

If a team isn?t intense it?s because the coaches aren?t intense.

Offline herd2win

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2023, 11:46:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe we turn it around and win the conference, but make no mistake, that would be unexpected. What is not unexpected is losing games like last night. We?ve been doing that, several times a season, in every non-Elmore year (and even so to a lesser extent when he was here).

At some point you just have to acknowledge it?s leadership. If the players aren?t ready to play, why aren?t they?  I cringed when he said ?we told them to quit trapping and they kept doing it anyway?. Who did you jerk off the floor for not listening?  You can hate Huggins and wvu but you know when players don?t listen to him they need to find a seat at the end of a bench no matter who they are.

No wonder no guys leave for the portal...they have it easy with Dan and don't have to be accountable for playing defense, rebounding or listening to the coach.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, miltonherdfan

Offline Big City

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 11:57:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I was thinking after my earlier post this morning in this thread and along the line of your point of losing games like last night, Queens, UNCG etc. This has almost a Doc Holiday type feel to it. Go out get some good wins against Ohio, Toledo and destroy little Miami. Followed up by these head scratching performances that end up being ugly losses. I hate comparisons to football and basketball but just being honest here about how it looks to me. Just frustrating when you want to program to succeed!
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 12:11:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They are not better than what we thought. This Marshall team is worse than what we thought. Just like every year they beat up bad teams and lose to decent/teams. Especially on the road.

Not true! We have a very talented team. Right now we're beating ourselves with missed free throws and allowing to many points in the paint. All of the games we have lost we beat ourselves, IMO...

Offline goherd24

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 01:09:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not true! We have a very talented team. Right now we're beating ourselves with missed free throws and allowing to many points in the paint. All of the games we have lost we beat ourselves, IMO...

Exactly. E. Some people like to bash basketball, for the same things they end up praising football for whatever misguided reason. We fix our problems, we will be just fine.

Our basketball team has a good while to get itself together and realize we have a target on our backs and we are going to get every teams best shot. All we gotta do is stop spotting them 10-15 point leads in the first half, coming out flat. Also teams are attacking Micah head on and pushing him out of the way, inside. Our entire defense has to get that toughness back. Let's see how it goes Saturday.
    « Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 01:12:56 PM by goherd24 »

Online yogiherd

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 02:17:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Makes one think how many seconds would they play for a coach like Bobby Knight before he went into attack mold. One thing for sure his IU teams played 'D" his way and were tough doing it.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 02:19:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My biggest complaint is their PG was too quick for our guys to guard. Not their fault, just the way it is sometimes, but why not use the zone more in that situation?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 02:19:18 PM »

Offline HerdFan1114

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 02:49:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We were at the game last night.  At a restaurant before the game we were talking to some GA Southern fans.  They said all they had was defense that they could not shoot.  We saw one of them after the game and he said he did not recognize the team that was playing.  They suddenly could shoot.  I also thought Southern was able to keep Micah from doing his usual play.  They out rebounded us by 14 which we had been doing so much better at rebounds this year.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 04:00:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I haven't made many comments, I was going to wait until the season ended before making a judgement like I did with Huff. I thought I didn't heard DD's comment correctly about the trapping comment! Even my junior high coach would have pulled me off the floor if I didn't follow his coaching instructions. The inmates shouldn't be running the asylum. Maybe the team is doing their own thing and this lead to the disastrous events of last year? DD needs to take charge and do a Huggins/Bobby Knight imitation. JMO.
    « Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 06:26:36 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 04:05:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Micah had 12 rebounds to go with his 12 points. That is almost half our rebounds for last night. Sounds like some others needed to step up when it came to rebounding last night.

The following users thanked this post: yogiherd, pembrook burrows III, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 04:05:53 PM »