Author Topic: 7.5%  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Thundering In MD

Re: 7.5%
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2023, 01:53:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?d like to see OAK start firing up shots from half court.  Same chance of making it, and it would speed up the game. :P
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2023, 01:53:45 AM »

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2023, 09:19:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We did Fricks back. He can make 3's.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2023, 10:12:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is Obinna's 3 pt shooting percentage.  If I was DD, I'd tell him the next time he pulled up for a 3 and we aren't up at least 30 points, I would pull his scholarship.  Sometimes DD offers too much freedom in his offensive schemes.

Stunning coaching malpractice.  It?s embarrassing.  Infuriating to fans. More importantly, the players. 

Danalytics.  You have to tell him to stop.  There?s a reason he?s open. 

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2023, 10:20:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know the philosophy is position less basketball and 5 shooters on the floor, but the bottom line is we have 2 of our first 5 that can't shoot the three.  I'd like to see OAK and Micah just rotate at the 5 spot and put Fricks or Conner on the floor.  At least then we'd only have one of the five on the floor that are not a 3 point threat.  Super is correct, there is a reason he's open.  It's also not just the fact we miss the shots but the fact the D can sit back in the lane and not worry about going out on the "shooter" if it's OAK or Micah, that gums up our offense with a crowded lane and hurts our ability to spread the floor.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2023, 10:26:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obinna was 32% from 3 last season. He was 17% as a freshman.

So he's probably a true 25% shooter which is not good from 3.  However he's better than he's shot this year. Law of averages says some are about to fall.

I actually predict he will have a game, likely on the road, where he makes between 3 and 5 3's.

That said, he needs confidence in his shot, not just simply shooting an open shot. He doesn't appear to be shooting it with confidence at this point.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf

Offline herd2win

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2023, 10:29:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obinna should not be shooting 3s unless time is running out.  There is not any strategy where it is justified for him to shoot a 3.

On top of being a poor shooter he should be closer to the basket to get rebounds.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2023, 10:45:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obinna should not be shooting 3s unless time is running out.  There is not any strategy where it is justified for him to shoot a 3.

On top of being a poor shooter he should be closer to the basket to get rebounds.

It's a tough situation. In this offense you have to keep everyone honest so they don't pack the lanes. I also hate seeing him shoot them but understand why from the system. But if you take him out for let's say a Fricks then you lose a very good defender. It's a tough situation. If Obinna could ever improve his shot he would be one heck of a player. I would love to see this system if all 5 guys could really light it up from 3.

The following users thanked this post: usedcars1, wlf

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #32 on: January 08, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's a tough situation. In this offense you have to keep everyone honest so they don't pack the lanes. I also hate seeing him shoot them but understand why from the system. But if you take him out for let's say a Fricks then you lose a very good defender. It's a tough situation. If Obinna could ever improve his shot he would be one heck of a player. I would love to see this system if all 5 guys could really light it up from 3.

Conner and Fricks are shooting under 30% from 3 and are nowhere close to as good as Obinna on D

That simply can't happen or DD will have totally lost it

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: HoPPy785

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Conner and Fricks are shooting under 30% from 3 and are nowhere close to as good as Obinna on D

That simply can't happen or DD will have totally lost it

Go Herd!

Agree but Fricks and Conner are much better shooters. As freshman they aren't hitting the way they are capable. But they have great rotation and I have seen them all many times in practice. OAK just doesn't have a good shot. No rotation and knuckle balls it. It's frustrating because if he had a really good shot he would be a beast.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline 11-14-70

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jacob's been playing with pain. He's one tough kid! Going to be just fine any day now.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #35 on: January 08, 2023, 01:09:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree but Fricks and Conner are much better shooters. As freshman they aren't hitting the way they are capable. But they have great rotation and I have seen them all many times in practice. OAK just doesn't have a good shot. No rotation and knuckle balls it. It's frustrating because if he had a really good shot he would be a beast.

Sounds like Conner and Fricks lack confidence but that ebbs and flows

Obinna needs coached up on mechanics. This staff is good enough to get him shooting at a decent clip

Go Herd!
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 01:26:39 PM by Garbanjo »

Online elginherd

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2023, 01:30:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know the philosophy is position less basketball and 5 shooters on the floor, but the bottom line is we have 2 of our first 5 that can't shoot the three.  I'd like to see OAK and Micah just rotate at the 5 spot and put Fricks or Conner on the floor.  At least then we'd only have one of the five on the floor that are not a 3 point threat.  Super is correct, there is a reason he's open.  It's also not just the fact we miss the shots but the fact the D can sit back in the lane and not worry about going out on the "shooter" if it's OAK or Micah, that gums up our offense with a crowded lane and hurts our ability to spread the floor.

Offensively, that's probably correct.
    Defensively, the combination of OAK and Micah are much better than the alternatives.

If OAK could develop a consistent 15-18 foot jumper, that would solve the spacing issue and those shots should be easier to develop.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2023, 01:30:37 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2023, 01:35:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jacob's been playing with pain. He's one tough kid! Going to be just fine any day now.

If we can get Jacob and Fricks both playing the way I know they can, then that puts us over the top imo. I said from day one that the 3 freshman will decide whether we are decent or really good. Micah has come on and is showing what he can do. Jacob and Fricks have shown spurts but not really played to their ability yet. We know what the rest of the team gives us but those 2 are the key imo.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2023, 01:36:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obinna is very wide open on his missed 3s.  There is a lot of open floor in front of him. Why not dribble and drive to the rim and pull up for a J or get a plus 1 dunk
    Or layup?  Wide open 3s for a poor shooter makes no sense with wide open floor in front of them.  Wasted scoring chance.  The easiest shots in b-ball are dunks and layups.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, herd1990, herdfan93, Collis P, Flat Tire 2

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2023, 02:18:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Offensively, that's probably correct.
    Defensively, the combination of OAK and Micah are much better than the alternatives.

If OAK could develop a consistent 15-18 foot jumper, that would solve the spacing issue and those shots should be easier to develop.
    Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline wlf

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2023, 03:36:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Taylor has another year.
    He should have two, but we don't have enough clout or lawyers to win against NCAA. He never played and I don't think even practiced , or even attended classes with Furman and was charged with a year of eligibility. I don't know if it had to do with them releasing him or not.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2023, 03:50:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He should have two, but we don't have enough clout or lawyers to win against NCAA. He never played and I don't think even practiced , or even attended classes with Furman and was charged with a year of eligibility. I don't know if it had to do with them releasing him or not.

He played at the second semester in 2019-2020 year. So this is his 4th year of playing at Marshall and next year is his Covid year. He maybe should have been allowed to play the first semester of his freshman year is all he has missed. But next year will make 4 1/2 years he has played.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline bluedevilherd

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2023, 01:29:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is Obinna's 3 pt shooting percentage.  If I was DD, I'd tell him the next time he pulled up for a 3 and we aren't up at least 30 points, I would pull his scholarship.  Sometimes DD offers too much freedom in his offensive schemes.

Disagree...DD's offense is predicated on the idea that "if you're open, take the shot". Obinna was wide open multiple times and given the offensive instructions from D'Antoni, he needed to shoot. We can argue about maybe stepping into the midrange area instead of shooting the three, but realistically, what else should he do?

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2023, 02:16:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whether he shoots it or not, the offense gets gummed up by the fact they don't have to guard the three point line for him, or Goran or Micah.

It's bad enough with one defender sluffing off, with our starting line up now two can sluff off.  Clogs lane for drives and enhances help defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herd2win

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2023, 02:39:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Disagree...DD's offense is predicated on the idea that "if you're open, take the shot". Obinna was wide open multiple times and given the offensive instructions from D'Antoni, he needed to shoot. We can argue about maybe stepping into the midrange area instead of shooting the three, but realistically, what else should he do?

Pass the ball, hat is what he should do.  Guys can be open from half court but they shouldn't shoot. He has no business shooting 3s.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herd1990, MUfan08, Herd2believe

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had to smile when Handlogten finally made a 3-pointer and he stood there posed with his shooting hand extended.  Both him and OAK have been terrible shooting 3's.  It's not like their shots are rimming out, they are shooting bricks.  I just don't know how DD can stomach watching OAK throw up brick after brick.  It's a wasted offensive trip for us every time he shoots one. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08, Collis P, miltonherdfan

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OAK was discussed in DDs press conference after the CC game.  In that interview DD said he makes three point shoots in practice consistently.  I remember last year there were a few times OAK made critical 3 pointers. ThunderingHF says he made 30% from the three last year, that's not bad.

Right now I understand the frustration on the part of Herd fans at OAKs shooting, I feel it to.  But I'm still in OAKs corner.  I love the guy and love his play on the floor, seldom have I ever seen a player smiling so often on the floor.  I my opinion he brings a joy to the game that is seldom seen and I feel a joy just to watch him.
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 08:23:42 AM by wasbarryb »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, svherd, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #47 on: January 11, 2023, 11:37:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OAK was discussed in DDs press conference after the CC game.  In that interview DD said he makes three point shoots in practice consistently.  I remember last year there were a few times OAK made critical 3 pointers. ThunderingHF says he made 30% from the three last year, that's not bad.

Right now I understand the frustration on the part of Herd fans at OAKs shooting, I feel it to.  But I'm still in OAKs corner.  I love the guy and love his play on the floor, seldom have I ever seen a player smiling so often on the floor.  I my opinion he brings a joy to the game that is seldom seen and I feel a joy just to watch him.

Obinna has to shoot better and he is essential to this team. We're going nowhere if he doesn't get on track.

Take more mid-range shots and attack the rim as well

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 12:13:09 PM by Garbanjo »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2023, 12:03:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, he' not hitting 3s this year and he should pass unless he's wide open or hot.  but keep in mind that two years ago (i think) he had the top 3pt% on the team and last year, he was top two or three, so he's definitely capable.  he seems to get charging fouls too, when he drives from the top of the key.  he brings a lot to the team if he stays focused on what he does well (D, steals/disruption, boards/putbacks, hustle, finishing alley oops).  he always seems humored by the game, which is contagious in a good way- i think he's counting the $ he'll earn from a degree/s rather than a basketball future

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2023, 12:10:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he played into his strength and size he could become lethal, then on occasion he will be outside wide open. When he is, he's deadly!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2023, 12:10:40 PM »