Author Topic: Marty Brenneman in the house  (Read 783 times)

Offline herdfan48

Marty Brenneman in the house
« on: January 07, 2023, 06:28:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those Herd fans who are also old time
    Reds fans. The Hall of Famer and his wife were at the game today. They were setting in the 1st row behind the MU bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdFans.com

Marty Brenneman in the house
    « on: January 07, 2023, 06:28:20 PM »

Offline GreenWhite

Re: Marty Brenneman in the house
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 07:04:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Man, I miss him doing Reds games. I'm guessing he was in town because of the new baseball coach. I know he made a big stink because Marshall did not have a field.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 07:09:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Man, I miss him doing Reds games. I'm guessing he was in town because of the new baseball coach. I know he made a big stink because Marshall did not have a field.
    Yes he did. Pre-Covid when MU was trying to raise $ for the baseball stadium I spoke to Hamrick about Marty explaining to him that Marty's wife is an MU alum and is from Ashland. They also come to the area quite often. I told him that maybe a call
    To Marty would be good. Maybe ask for a donation or see if Marty would speak at a fundraiser...Hamrick's answer was, "We'll think about it" and that was it. Never another word and as far as I know there was never a call made.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 07:25:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't Johnny Bench make a contribution or something to the baseball stadium when he spoke at the Keith Albee?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 07:25:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes he did, but I can't remember the amount.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Online mu79grad

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 07:33:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few years ago, Marty spoke at a baseball banquet and spoke ill of Dr. Kopp and Mike Hamrick for not having a field.  There was no way Mike would ever have him back again.  It was a shame Marty made a scene but that was Marty being Marty!
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 08:53:17 PM by mu79grad »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, The E-Man

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 07:35:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few years ago, Marty spoke at a baseball banquet and spoke ill of Dr. Koop and Mike Hamrick for not having a field.  There was no way Mike would ever have him back again.  It was a shame Marty made a scene but that was Marty being Marty!
    Marty was definitely being Marty, but I didn't think Hamrick was here when that happened. Shoot, he'd call the Reds out when they was doing or not doing something that he didn't agree with.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online mu79grad

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 08:22:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marty was definitely being Marty, but I didn't think Hamrick was here when that happened. Shoot, he'd call the Reds out when they was doing or not doing something that he didn't agree with.

Marty's comments were in 2011, well after Mike had been hired.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 09:01:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marty's best announcing came in the 70's and 80's. He and Joe Nuxhall were classic. I can remember they came to Marshall one time on the caravan tour. They were in the basement of the student center. Both of them put down beer like crazy.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 09:37:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few years ago, Marty spoke at a baseball banquet and spoke ill of Dr. Kopp and Mike Hamrick for not having a field.  There was no way Mike would ever have him back again.  It was a shame Marty made a scene but that was Marty being Marty!

Marty was just telling it like it was at the time.  If Hammy was "butt hurt" then it just proved he was too thinned skinned to be in the position he wsa in.  Marty was saying what many MU fans, alums, a lot of the general public and certainly many baseball fans around the Huntington area all believed about the MU baseball facility situation.  Was and still is, a DISGRACE!!  His comments, IMO, his comments ultimately helped result in getting the wheels rolling albeit if very slowly!!  When the NEW Stadium is finally dedicated, Smith and Spears could do a lot worse than getting Marty to speak at the dedication, and the money he may require to appear at such function would be WELL SPENT, again IMO!!
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:00:59 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 09:52:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cool to see Marty was wearing the Kelly green. Hopefully him and his wife had a good time and will come around more often.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 10:09:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cool to see Marty was wearing the Kelly green. Hopefully him and his wife had a good time and will come around more often.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No matter how the Reds game went, or whom they were playing, it always managed to be, according to Marty, "a Titanic Struggle"!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 10:09:01 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Sometimes the truth hursts - as much as we hate it.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Big City, chris88, herdorbust2

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 12:34:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His son has made some prolific statements on air

Offline chris88

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 08:26:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Love Marty. His son is a great announcer too. Yes, like all of us, he makes mistakes but leaving the burden of judgement to God is usually best in my mind.

Over the years Marty has shown a lot of love to Marshall on air. Glad to hear he and his wife were in Hton.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, coalherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 08:26:45 AM »