Author Topic: App St LB transfer  (Read 1491 times)

Offline herdorbust2

Re: App St LB transfer
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm referring to the two high school QBs that Huff recruited when he first got the job and redshirted last year - Chase Harrison and Cole Pennington.

Of course Pennington is Pennington, and Harrison was rated 4-stars by Rivals and also had an offer from Louisville.

Maybe not highly recruited compared to other places, but I didn't say that, I just said touted, which was a relative term. I'm just saying, for Marshall, these are 2 guys that have been rated above the recruits we normally pull in (in the case of Harrison) or that have generated a lot of excitement due to the name recognition (in the case of Pennington).

I'm just saying, why did Huff even give them scholarships if he doesn't think at least one of them can perform? Why are we as fans looking to the transfer portal before we've even seen these guys on the field?

The transfer portal has become sexy. It is not how you build a team. Yes you may hit it right one year and other years will be a flop. A lot of people thinks you get a portal and you are getting a real gem. Not always true. Same with players jumping around all over the place. They will find that it's not always greener in the other side. Yes there will be holes to fill but you don't build anything sustainable loosing half your team and bringing in half a team every year.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 01:49:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Folks, I"m telling you, this is ALL ABOUT NIL MONEY, position needs are determining who gets offered and it is school by school.  So we trade an DL that can't get NIL money here to someone who wants him bad enough to give him some. And maybe we get someone who couldn't get NIL money somewhere else, but we have a few bucks and need them at a specific position.

There are a bunch of coaches, too, that if you enter the portal, you forfeit your scholarship at the very moment.
    [/b] I'd don't know, but I'd not be surprised if this isn't the case with this kid. 

Glad he's coming to the Herd.

That philosophy may have had some validity in the past, but coaches who try to practice this in the future qualify for the endangered species list.  In the current musical chairs environment yanking a kids scholarship leaves the kid no choice but to leave.  If you felt the kid was worth recruiting in the first place, you better plan on recruiting him for the rest of his career.

Coaches with the old idea that entering the portal is the end of your scholarship are only insuring one thing in this day and age-the end of their on jobs.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 01:49:57 AM »