Author Topic: App St LB transfer  (Read 1500 times)

Online herd1990

App St LB transfer
« on: January 08, 2023, 02:03:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • « Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 02:05:24 PM by herd1990 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scherd, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, biggreenarms, Buffalo Bop, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

App St LB transfer
    « on: January 08, 2023, 02:03:26 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: App St LB transfer
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 02:06:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was getting ready to post this. Solid LB pickup for us.

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 02:33:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Finished tied for 7th in tackles and 3rd in sacks on their team last year.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 02:40:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, The E-Man

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 02:48:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why didn?t we offer McCall.  Huff doesn?t care about roughing SBC feathers. 

Online herd2win

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 02:49:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is getting crazy with in conference transfers.  Any word on why App St would do this?  You rarely hear if a scholarship being taken away.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Big City

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 03:04:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is getting crazy with in conference transfers.  Any word on why App St would do this?  You rarely hear if a scholarship being taken away.

What I was thinking. Why would they pull his scholly? I can only think of 2 reasons. Not good enough or trouble.

Offline Big City

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 03:18:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Exactly what I want to know! "Stripped me of my scholarship"
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline svherd

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 03:32:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They got Murphy, we get this kid. We won the transfer battle. Jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 05:41:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What I was thinking. Why would they pull his scholly? I can only think of 2 reasons. Not good enough or trouble.

I'm not sure, but the tweet makes it sound like they might have pulled his scholly because they knew he wanted to enter the portal.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 05:42:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why didn?t we offer McCall.  Huff doesn?t care about roughing SBC feathers.

I think he wanted to go to the SEC but didn't have the grades.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Online yogiherd

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 05:45:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They got Murphy, we get this kid. We won the transfer battle. Jmo

What floored me was Bush going to JMU.
    Bush played a lot for the Herd along the DL and i think the way the DL rotated allowed him to play at full energy. Most believed he was moving to a P5 school not a school in the same conference.
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2023, 05:45:25 PM »

Offline whf

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2023, 05:56:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Folks, I"m telling you, this is ALL ABOUT NIL MONEY, position needs are determining who gets offered and it is school by school.  So we trade an DL that can't get NIL money here to someone who wants him bad enough to give him some. And maybe we get someone who couldn't get NIL money somewhere else, but we have a few bucks and need them at a specific position.

There are a bunch of coaches, too, that if you enter the portal, you forfeit your scholarship at the very moment.  I'd don't know, but I'd not be surprised if this isn't the case with this kid. 

Glad he's coming to the Herd.

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2023, 06:41:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Folks, I"m telling you, this is ALL ABOUT NIL MONEY, position needs are determining who gets offered and it is school by school.  So we trade an DL that can't get NIL money here to someone who wants him bad enough to give him some. And maybe we get someone who couldn't get NIL money somewhere else, but we have a few bucks and need them at a specific position.

There are a bunch of coaches, too, that if you enter the portal, you forfeit your scholarship at the very moment.  I'd don't know, but I'd not be surprised if this isn't the case with this kid. 

Glad he's coming to the Herd.

It's free agency. What's your value in the market?

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, mr_ash_1995, whf

Online DallasGreen

• Practice Squad
    • Member Since 3/24/2014
    « Reply #14 on: January 08, 2023, 06:51:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think he wanted to go to the SEC but didn't have the grades.

SMU Offered

Online herd1990

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 06:52:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What floored me was Bush going to JMU.
    Bush played a lot for the Herd along the DL and i think the way the DL rotated allowed him to play at full energy. Most believed he was moving to a P5 school not a school in the same conference.

Maybe Bush was recruited by former Herd DL, Jamare Edwards.  Probably some connection there.

The following users thanked this post: Big City, Scottyo614

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 09:01:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What floored me was Bush going to JMU.

it was Coastal Carolina, right?
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 09:07:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What I was thinking. Why would they pull his scholly? I can only think of 2 reasons. Not good enough or trouble.

I think you can rule out the "trouble" option, Huff doesn't seem to take players with baggage.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 09:12:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think he wanted to go to the SEC but didn't have the grades.

I don't think it was an academic issue, the SEC would take him if he was in good academic standing.  The SEC will take anyone who meets the minimum NCAA standards. If you review his last year, I don't think he was good enough for an SEC school by his bio on the APPY website.

2022: Appeared in 11 games and made eight starts at outside linebacker (anchor) ? Totaled 39 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 5.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles ? Had a career-high 10 tackles, one sack, 2.0 TFLs and two forced fumbles against The Citadel ? Also had a sack against Troy.
    https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/kesean-brown/6613

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 12:57:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think it was an academic issue, the SEC would take him if he was in good academic standing.  The SEC will take anyone who meets the minimum NCAA standards. If you review his last year, I don't think he was good enough for an SEC school by his bio on the APPY website.

2022: Appeared in 11 games and made eight starts at outside linebacker (anchor) ? Totaled 39 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 5.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles ? Had a career-high 10 tackles, one sack, 2.0 TFLs and two forced fumbles against The Citadel ? Also had a sack against Troy.
    https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/kesean-brown/6613

I was talking about McCall. It was reported that his visit to Auburn was canceled because of an academic issue.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline coloradoherd

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 09:21:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Re: McCall, I'm not in favor of bringing in anymore QB transfers. It's time to give our highly touted freshmen a chance. If we don't believe one of them is capable of doing the job, why did we recruit them in the first place? Bringing Colombi in to give them a redshirt year made sense, but not now.

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 10:15:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Re: McCall, I'm not in favor of bringing in anymore QB transfers. It's time to give our highly touted freshmen a chance. If we don't believe one of them is capable of doing the job, why did we recruit them in the first place? Bringing Colombi in to give them a redshirt year made sense, but not now.

I want nothing but the best for him, but I've seen enough of Cam at QB. The general consensus seems to be bringing in transfer QBs hasn't been good, but we don't beat Notre Dame without Colombi, Birdsong beat Purdue, Graham beat KState...some of our biggest pelts came while we were playing transfer QBs. For the most part, injury was what kept them from being big contributors to our team's season. That's what I think, anyway. Our coaches have never been very forthcoming with injury news.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 10:15:01 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 11:16:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I want nothing but the best for him, but I've seen enough of Cam at QB. The general consensus seems to be bringing in transfer QBs hasn't been good, but we don't beat Notre Dame without Colombi, Birdsong beat Purdue, Graham beat KState...some of our biggest pelts came while we were playing transfer QBs. For the most part, injury was what kept them from being big contributors to our team's season. That's what I think, anyway. Our coaches have never been very forthcoming with injury news.

i would like to see a poll of the following.
    our choices at the moment are (and it's a safe bet it's going to be 1 or 2)

1] Fancher (don't forget, he beat out the rest on roster)
    2] Pennington or Harrison  (good omen that both end in ON?)  ;)
    3] transfer ONLY IF he's a well known commodity like McCall (very rare/very low odds getting a top difference maker)
    4] true freshman/other

Online Johns1124

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 12:19:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Who's a highly touted Freshman? We didn't bring in anyone who was highly recruited.

Offline coloradoherd

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 12:37:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who's a highly touted Freshman? We didn't bring in anyone who was highly recruited.

I'm referring to the two high school QBs that Huff recruited when he first got the job and redshirted last year - Chase Harrison and Cole Pennington.

Of course Pennington is Pennington, and Harrison was rated 4-stars by Rivals and also had an offer from Louisville.

Maybe not highly recruited compared to other places, but I didn't say that, I just said touted, which was a relative term. I'm just saying, for Marshall, these are 2 guys that have been rated above the recruits we normally pull in (in the case of Harrison) or that have generated a lot of excitement due to the name recognition (in the case of Pennington).

I'm just saying, why did Huff even give them scholarships if he doesn't think at least one of them can perform? Why are we as fans looking to the transfer portal before we've even seen these guys on the field?
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 12:45:51 PM by coloradoherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 12:37:37 PM »