Author Topic: Marshall vs. So Miss. Thursday on National TV: Some interesting background info  (Read 1360 times)

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • . . . during the Coach D'Antoni show with Steve Cotton this evening.  Eagles come in with one of the top records to date in the SBC after winning only 8 games last season, and 1 SBC win, per Steve.  The have EIGHT new players this year (not sure if they are under a new Head Coach this season), and, as noted by Steve, NONE of them are first year players.  Yes, apparently all the new Eagles are transfers, either Jucos or from the Portal!

Yes, it apparently will be a clash of "recruiting philosophies" when the two teams meet in the CAM at 9:00 pm Thursday including a national TV audience on one of the ESPN platform stations.  Steve Cotton noted the Eagles leading scorer averages over 17 points per game and is a transfer from the SEC's Ole Miss.  Another leading player for USM is a 6'9", 240# center who came from South Carolina who is playing for his third D-1 program.

Both Danny and Steve urged the fans, and especially the students, who are back in school, to come out for the late-night game and be loud.  Danny wants a great atmosphere, saying it is not only important for the basketball team, but also for Marshall University in general.  Saying this is national exposure, and chance to paint a positive overall picture of MU, for the national audience, potential new students, etc.  There is some kind of a promtion going on for the student body, according to Steve.

So, let's go HERD!!  Put on a great show for the national audience as we "shoot down some Eagles from Hattiesburg"!!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 08:54:13 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, whf, go1970herd, Flat Tire 2, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Offline herdfan93

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd by 12!

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline 2xBison

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a phony.  But let's all support the Herd Thursday!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online Always THE HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A "this Thursday" game on national tv and most of us (at least me anyway) have NO IDEA which station.

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A "this Thursday" game on national tv and most of us (at least me anyway) have NO IDEA which station.

Do you know how to get on herdzone and look at the schedule?

The following users thanked this post: whf, miltonherdfan

Offline herdinphilly

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    ESPN2

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Marshall will put together something for the students to get them to come out. I doubt many even know we play that night. It's a far cry from when I was in school during the Huck years.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, go1970herd, The E-Man, luckytoes99, herdorbust2

Offline Big City

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Marshall will put together something for the students to get them to come out. I doubt many even know we play that night. It's a far cry from when I was in school during the Huck years.

9:00 pm on a Thursday night would have been perfect with me when I was an MU student. Have a few pregame beers at the fraternity house, game over by 11:00, then head to the Union to celebrate a Herd W.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, The E-Man, Doing it the Herd Way

Offline Herdiowa

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 9:00 pm on a Thursday night would have been perfect with me when I was an MU student. Have a few pregame beers at the fraternity house, game over by 11:00, then head to the Union to celebrate a Herd W.
    The Union?  How about the Dribble?  May she rest in peace.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Big City, biggreenarms, The E-Man

Offline Big City

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Union?  How about the Dribble?  May she rest in peace.

The Dribble was there when I started as a freshman but from what I recall, she was on her way out.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Dribble was there when I started as a freshman but from what I recall, she was on her way out.

Whippersnappers. 

When I was a wee lad on campus, we had the original Verb's and the original (i.e. 20th St.) Double Dribble.  And if those weren't hopping, we could go down to the 1896 Club (now a dilapidated, falling down house on 3rd Ave. and 15th St.). 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, Big City, parshall2marshall, biggreenarms, The E-Man

Offline kpimichael

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What about the "Hole in the Wall" it not being represented by anyone but me :)

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

HerdFans.com

Offline carolinaherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yogi, can handle the 'hole'.

Online Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How about Jack Riggs's Varsity on 20th Street and for really old alums, his El Gato.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, gtrman4herd, whf, HerdFan1114, Tradebait1

Offline carolinaherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Online herd2win

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Dribble was there when I started as a freshman but from what I recall, she was on her way out.

Dribble torn down to build the stadium...loved that place.

Offline DC01HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Dribble was still around in 1997. We watched the Kentucky v Arizona championship game at the Dribble.

Offline 2xBison

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Dribble was still around in 1997. We watched the Kentucky v Arizona championship game at the Dribble.
    If so it wasn't the original Dribble on 20th.  Didn't it also open for a few years at corner of 4th Ave and Hal Greer?  Where Hussons was more recently ?

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Offline HerdFanJ

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If so it wasn't the original Dribble on 20th.  Didn't it also open for a few years at corner of 4th Ave and Hal Greer?  Where Hussons was more recently ?

Yes, the Dribble was there for sure in 1998 at the old Husson's.....don't remember the time frame when they opened at that location, but it was there in 1998. 

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Offline HerdFan1114

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Varsity or the "Hole" were it when I was in school.
    We have three children that went to Southern Miss so I have money in that school also.  So glad we are still in the same conference as them.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline carolinaherdfan

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny needs to coach them up for this game...All of we old timers say: Let's kick their Ass!

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline DC01HERD

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If so it wasn't the original Dribble on 20th.  Didn't it also open for a few years at corner of 4th Ave and Hal Greer?  Where Hussons was more recently ?

Yes, it was on the corner of 4th and Hal Greer. I think it was around 96-98. i hung out with guys from Point Pleasant and one of the bartenders was from Point.

HerdFans.com

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall is a 7.5 point favorite for the ESPN2 game against S Miss. Im picking the Herd by 11.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan93

Offline Herdiowa

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny needs to coach them up for this game...All of we old timers say: Let's kick their Ass!
    Have Dan play them the Kirby Smart speech.  That one seemed to work.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline herd62

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • El Gato and the Hole in the Wall for us old Sig Eps!!

HerdFans.com