Author Topic: Question for all, would you consider donating a nominal amount directly to NIL?  (Read 877 times)

Offline beau42m

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In a pig's eye, NO.

HerdFans.com

Offline beau42m

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Personally I think this should mainly come from successful business owners that are big Marshall fans. Cars, free food, rental housing etc,,,
    Didn't we have enough of that from 1983-89?

Online Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have been against giving to the NIL, but I am starting to change my mind after listening to Coach Huff comments on the podcast. Coach Huff brought up the point that we are now operating in a different world in regards to college athletics. You may not like it, but it is reality.  He mentioned that not every player will receive a Mercedes, but some players do need assistance to help their families. He said that some of our players come from single parent families and some players have a child; he was not condoning it but it is a reality. A player comes to him and says his mom is working two jobs, but is having a hard time feeding his siblings. Or a player must provide food for his child. We need to be able to provide them with some assistance.

Coach Huff said we need to be able to assist players in need of help. Not every player is going to receive a car, but some players only have $50 a month after they pay for their apartment an utility bills. Coach says that it means the player can go to Chipotle maybe onde a month. Just think if you only had $50 a month to spend after you pay your bills?. Coach says we just need to be able to assist them and we don't have to match every NIL offer.

He thinks we are in good shape now, but he expects to lose some of our better players to other teams in the near future. That is the way it is going in college athletics. 

Please listen to the Podcast, you will find out a great deal of information about MU and college football.
    [ Invalid YouTube link ]&t=698s

[ Invalid YouTube link ]&t=698s
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 11:41:35 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline ThunderValley

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not into buying players that intend to leave for the next bidder.

If they leave that is money thrown up a pigs arse

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach said not every player is just going to go to the highest bid, they just need some help. Again, most players are not going to be receiving a free car.  If you want MU to be successful we will need to support the program or you better start following a WVIC team. It will become difficult to keep good coaches if they don't have the resources to complete with other SBC teams. The world is changing and either you adapt or you will fail. Like Coach Huff said, you can join The Big Green Club for $5 month .

I look at it that I can contribute some money. Instead of spending $15 on a six pack of craft beer, give it to The Herd once in awhile.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 12:05:37 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline Green Dog

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not one cent. Period.

Offline ThunderValley

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coaches most often go to highest bidder even after a very short time. So should we believe them?

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, ru4mu2

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well when Marshall sports finally becomes unwatchable because we don't have enough money to BUY players, I just hope the fans aren't blamed for not giving more and more. Instead blame the politicians, NCAA etc for killing collegiate sports.

Hurry to the nearest ATM, bust, and withdraw $$$$$ profusely.  Then hit your nearest lottery retailer.  Can buy Mega Millions tix till 11:00 pm, IIRC.  Jackpot is over 1 BILLION, I believe.  HERD NIL problems Solved!!!  You can thank me later!!  :D

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hurry to the nearest ATM, bust, and withdraw $$$$$ profusely.  Then hit your nearest lottery retailer.  Can buy Mega Millions tix till 11:00 pm, IIRC.  Jackpot is over 1 BILLION, I believe.  HERD NIL problems Solved!!!  You can thank me later!!  :D

Way ahead of you. When I win it we will be getting a new basketball arena and a few other things. Just waiting on my numbers to be drawn in a few hours.

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another potential source of MU NIL money would be realized if only little Douggie Reynolds would take a page or two from his Old Man's playbook and "hire" several MU athletes every season to "work" at H-D Media's Huntington location, at least, as custodians, etc., leaning on brooms for a few hours a week for $$$$$, just the same as back in Pruett's football coaching era at MU!!  ;)

Offline coalherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Way ahead of you. When I win it we will be getting a new basketball arena and a few other things. Just waiting on my numbers to be drawn in a few hours.

Got it, bust!  Knowing you, I'm sure that that new arena will have a fair share of splendid Luxury Suites/Accommodations!  I'm sure you'll remember some of your "favorites" here on Herd Fans when doling out those Suite tickets, Ole Buddy!!   ;D  ;D

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It blows my mind that people love Marshall and want Marshall to succeed but wouldn't help keep our school on par with the rest of the nation by donating in small increments?  I understand people on fixed incomes not being able to donate, but people that have expendable income it baffles me.  Especially Marshall fans that spend hundreds of hours a year on this and other boards following everything Marshall sports. 

I certainly see the principle that college athletes shouldn't be paid because they are getting an education, but a good amount of college athletes are placed in degree programs that are designed to keep them eligible to play football and have very little value in terms of a career.   To say it another way, they are just here to play football for us.   

Imagine being a 17 year old high school star from the muck in Florida and having the opportunity to have football scholarships at App State that pays $600-$800 a month or going to Marshall for 0.  What are you going to do?   He is gonna go somewhere where he can buy something to eat at a restaurant, get a haircut, buy some clothes or latest test PlayStation video game what kids do. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 05:34:59 AM by Johnnyherd »

HerdFans.com

Online herdorbust2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It blows my mind that people love Marshall and want Marshall to succeed but wouldn't help keep our school on par with the rest of the nation by donating in small increments?  I understand people on fixed incomes not being able to donate, but people that have expendable income it baffles me.  Especially Marshall fans that spend hundreds of hours a year on this and other boards following everything Marshall sports. 

I certainly see the principle that college athletes shouldn't be paid because they are getting an education, but a good amount of college athletes are placed in degree programs that are designed to keep them eligible to play football and have very little value in terms of a career.   To say it another way, they are just here to play football for us.   

Imagine being a 17 year old high school star from the muck in Florida and having the opportunity to have football scholarships at App State that pays $600-$800 a month or going to Marshall for 0.  What are you going to do?   He is gonna go somewhere where he can buy something to eat at a restaurant, get a haircut, buy some clothes or latest test PlayStation video game what kids do.

Because we shouldn't have to. How much more do fans have to do? We didn't create this monster. And like anything else in life, I don't care what anyone does with their money. If you want to give every single penny you make then that is awesome. Fans having to buy players is insanity!!!!

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, MUfan08

Online MUfan08

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Because we shouldn't have to. How much more do fans have to do? We didn't create this monster. And like anything else in life, I don't care what anyone does with their money. If you want to give every single penny you make then that is awesome. Fans having to buy players is insanity!!!!

Exactly, take out buying season tickets (since that is a form of entertainment) I donate multiple ways to support Marshall in athletics and the school of engineering. Will not support this Wild West of the NIL of buying players that are not even guaranteed to be here the next year let alone 4-5 years; and be a glorified farm team for P5 teams to take all our best players.
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 08:45:16 AM by MUfan08 »

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, herdorbust2

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again maybe we will be a farm team, but I would like to win the farm league we are in and that means out recruiting the SunBelt.   If they take our players then we will need to recruit and portal harder than we have been used to doing to keep winning.  I was perfectly happy when we were out recruiting the southern conference and winning.

Louisiana had like 35 analysts helping with their program when Billy Napier was their coach.  if they can pay 30 extra coaches they can pay players.   

Hopefully all is well with our NiL and we are competitive because if we aren't we are back to Doc Holiday years, which becomes decades and status quo 6-7-8 wins a year.

Online herd1990

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd contribute for a specific NIL deal to keep Owen Porter here one more season.

HerdFans.com