Author Topic: What we know after USM  (Read 1231 times)

Offline goherd24

What we know after USM
« on: January 12, 2023, 11:12:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1. As i said earlier, their sos is worse than ours and they are a paper tiger, i really believed we would crush them and we did. I tols my friend before the game i thought we would crush them by 15-20, based on the games i saw them play.

2. No one in the sunbelt can beat us, BUT US. If we bring the effort and energy of tonight, we don't lose again. We bring Georgia Southern energy, we lose to anyone.

3. Fricks has an intangible impact on our rotation. We need him healthy and not trying to superman dunk it which is exactly what injured him last time lol. He is very active on defense and rebounding but we need him to become an offensive threat.

4. Free throws - continue to be dreadful. It's really going to cost us. If i can point to 2 things that will stand in the way of us winning the belt, its free throw shooting, and lack of effort/energy. Both of which we control.

5. Micah is growing and growing every game. This kid may end up averaging 15 and 15 or more in conference play. If he continues that, by tourney time, we are gonna roll. I don't get everyone worryinf about him going to the portal man. He is a good kid, loves it here, and Dan if nothing else, has been phenomenal at keeping talent and these kids here. I do believe he deserves an NIL for what it is.

6. Taylor and Kinsey continue to kill it. Best guard duo in the belt, easily.

7. Obinna - at almost all times he is a defensive monster and a disruptor. If we can get that consistency on offense and at the free throw line, man, i couldn't imagine how good we can be.

8. Conner - great defensive game, not bad on O today. Love to watch him play and develop.

9. Team defense tonight was phenomenal. Did it's job.

Also, that was the best national anthem i have EVER HEARD. That lady is something. Marlana Vanhoose.

Great atmosphere tonight. 4300 but loud and into it. Will add more when i get home from the Cam.

ODU will be a tougher challenge than USM, even though it doesn't seem that way. They are probably the best team we will have played so far in the sunbelt. Their physical and grinding style of play is the direct counter to our style of play. We can't get drug down to their pace and style or we can lose this game. Much more worried about it than USM.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:39:29 AM by goherd24 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Banshee

HerdFans.com

What we know after USM
    « on: January 12, 2023, 11:12:48 PM »

Offline Herd72

Re: What we know after USM
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 11:18:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 3. Obinna did not attempt seven threes and we won easily.
    4. Enjoy watching Micah while you can.
    5. Danny did somewhat better with his time outs.
    6. Wyatt tried his Superman dunk again ? grapefruits.
    7. Someone needs to keep the floor dry before we lose Kinsey for the season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUther

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 11:22:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • USM SoS 250
    Marshall SoS 314

I tried to tell you they aren't a product of their schedule.  They have 8 new players since last year, most from the portal and that is the reason for the quick turnaround.  But we played near a perfect game and schooled them hard.  GG.  Everyone contributed, very fun to watch.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, Flat Tire 2

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 11:26:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1. As i said earlier, their sos is way worse than ours and they are a paper tiger.

2. No one in the sunbelt can beat us, BUT US. If we bring the effort and energy of tonight, we don't lose again. We bring Georgia Southern energy, we lose to anyone.

Also, that was the best national anthem i have EVER HEARD. That lady is something. Marlana Vanhoose.

Great atmosphere tonight. 4300 but loud and into it. Will add more when i get home from the Cam.

If we play like we played tonight we are a blast to watch and a conference champ

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, svherd, pembrook burrows III

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 11:33:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What I know is this stat line!

Curfman 9 assists, Taylor 8 assists and Kinsey 7 assists.

Yeah, Handlogten moved well without the ball. But his teammates fed him some nice dump off passes. That offense was smooth as silk. We gave up some baskets off that scrambling type man, but it took Southern Miss out of their game and forced them into more turnovers than assists. It also allowed us to go more up-tempo.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, pembrook burrows III, herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 11:46:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • USM SoS 250
    Marshall SoS 314

I tried to tell you they aren't a product of their schedule.  They have 8 new players since last year, most from the portal and that is the reason for the quick turnaround.  But we played near a perfect game and schooled them hard.  GG.  Everyone contributed, very fun to watch.

I tried to tell you that they are and that's what we saw tonight. USM is 299 and Marshall is 229,  (massey which i trust more than others). They are a product of their schedule. It's not just about sos, but how the team plays. You can have a weak schedule, win and be just a little bit better than the bad schedule. You can also play a weak schedule and be good and win those games. Give it more time. Ive watched then play 4 times this season and have never been impressed. Won a nice $500 bet on the herd -8.5 tonight too brcause of it.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 12:00:51 AM by goherd24 »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 11:54:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They better be getting an NIL package ready for Handlogton for next year. What is scary is he isn't playing close to his best basketball. And I agree that only we can beat us. We have played some very solid midmajors in App St, Toledo, Ohio U, Duquesne, S Miss, Akron and we have beat them all by double digits from 11-26 points. And that was the best atmosphere so far this season. Glad to see the students come out. And Saturday should be a blast. Oh BTW that was a great NA by what looked like a little girl but I guess she is actually 27. But wow!!!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline goherd24

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 12:05:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They better be getting an NIL package ready for Handlogton for next year. What is scary is he isn't playing close to his best basketball. And I agree that only we can beat us. We have played some very solid midmajors in App St, Toledo, Ohio U, Duquesne, S Miss, Akron and we have beat them all by double digits from 11-26 points. And that was the best atmosphere so far this season. Glad to see the students come out. And Saturday should be a blast. Oh BTW that was a great NA by what looked like a little girl but I guess she is actually 27. But wow!!!

Exactly. Difference in playinh a weak schedule and being fairly average and squeaking by and playing a schedule and dominating. Only games we have lost is because we lost them, not because we got beat.

On the same page on this one. I expect we will do the same against ODU Saturday but we have to bring ENERGY because they will after losing a heartbreaker where they lost by 1 on a called foul with 1 second left against coastal, and they are physical. iMO ODU will give us a better game than USM. We better bring it or they will drag us into a physical dogfight in a game thats decided in the 60's
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 12:06:49 AM by goherd24 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, pembrook burrows III, horsrman

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 12:08:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Exactly. Difference in playinh a weak schedule and being fairly average and squeaking by and playing a schedule and dominating. Only games we have lost is because we lost them, not because we got beat.

On the same page on this one. I expect we will do the same against ODU Saturday but we have to bring ENERGY because they will after losing a heartbreaker where they lost by 1 on a called foul with 1 second left against coastal, and they are physical. iMO ODU will give us a better game than USM. We better bring it or they will drag us into a physical dogfight in a game thats decided in the 60's

We need to get up on ODU and make them play catch up. They like a slow grind and we need to get out and run.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, goherd24

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 12:36:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Is that NA singer any relation to the JR VanHoose who was a pretty great player for the HERD?

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 12:41:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ODU backs are against the wall with their shocking loss tonight. I think they 2-3 now and if they take a 4th loss this early they will really be up against it for a high seed.

Our radio crew said that USM has to scramble out to AR for a day game Saturday. They were already mentally worn out by flight delays and after trying to run against the Herd I hope they will lose in AR Saturday as well. Not to detract from from our win but to thin out the league leaders.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 11:21:18 PM by parshall2marshall »
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 12:42:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to get up on ODU and make them play catch up. They like a slow grind and we need to get out and run.

Danny specifically talked about that, and Jeff Jones' style of ball, in his postgame comments, bust.  Said it would be harder to get out and run, get easy points on the break, etc., versus the Monarchs because of the way they play.  Key to the game may be which team forces the other to pretty much play their "style" of ball.  If we have to play at ODU's pace, each shot will be more valuable, and we'll have to make a good % of our shots from the field.  Offensive rebounding may be more critical, too, especially if we are "off" from the field.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 12:42:15 AM »

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 12:55:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obina is a crowd favorite. IMO the others don't feed him the ball enough. Connor & Fricks are going to be very good in the future (especially Connors). Why was our 7 footer out at the begiining of the game. I couldn't tell because of the game being delayed (because of the overtime game at Utah? Appeared to be a lot of empty seats (from a tv view only).Kinsey is NOT a great shooter, great jumper, yes, but not shooter & does way too much dribleing. Taylor was off tonight. We are still not a very good foul shooting team!!!. Obina and Taylor are very good hustlers. THey don't let any grass grow under their feet.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 02:28:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obina is a crowd favorite. IMO the others don't feed him the ball enough. Connor & Fricks are going to be very good in the future (especially Connors). Why was our 7 footer out at the begiining of the game. I couldn't tell because of the game being delayed (because of the overtime game at Utah? Appeared to be a lot of empty seats (from a tv view only).Kinsey is NOT a great shooter, great jumper, yes, but not shooter & does way too much dribleing. Taylor was off tonight. We are still not a very good foul shooting team!!!. Obina and Taylor are very good hustlers. THey don't let any grass grow under their feet.

Those are always empty. Many corporate seats where people never attend. What I've been complaining about with the tarped seating, we have too many "sold" seats that are never going to be filled in the lower bowl. We could have 6-7k Saturday but we are going to be stuck to about 5000 with around 600 empty seats with sold tickets, or more.

Online mu79grad

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 05:23:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe a BIG key to the ODU game will be to keep Micah out of foul trouble.  The last few games he has been able to accomplish this.  The physicality of the ODU game worries me concerning Micah and fouling.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Big City

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 07:32:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We know this game should have essentially been over by half. This is a good team but for some reason is unable to hold on to the large lead. I love the fast style of play but when they get those leads they tend to push push push and turn the ball over. Make free throws, slow it down a touch when a lead is built and limit those sloppy turnovers.

Always happy to get the win and will take it anyway they come. Pretty, sloppy, or ugly
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 07:46:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fricks is back and our rotation didn't go nearly as deep. We looked much better overall. It's no coincidence. It isn't all about the stat sheet.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, kpimichael, pembrook burrows III, horsrman, herdfan129

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 07:48:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fricks is back and our rotation didn't go nearly as deep. We looked much better overall. It's no coincidence. It isn't all about the stat sheet.

I tried to tell people.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, parshall2marshall, HoPPy785

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 08:05:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I tried to tell people.

I also brought it up and was immediately told that wasn't the case. I think some people look at an empty stat sheet and just assume a player isn't important. We will go as far as our first 7 can take us. We suffer any major injuries to one of those guys and we will be in trouble.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline herd2win

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2023, 08:07:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look at the assists.  The hustle was very evident last night and we made great passes most times down the court.  Very few "waisted" possessions.  The team can be special but needs to play like this.  Our losses looked like last years team but our wins don't compare to last year. 

Micah most likely will only be a 2 year player and then on to the NBA if he keeps progressing.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2023, 08:36:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Look at the assists.  The hustle was very evident last night and we made great passes most times down the court.  Very few "waisted" possessions.  The team can be special but needs to play like this.  Our losses looked like last years team but our wins don't compare to last year. 

Micah most likely will only be a 2 year player and then on to the NBA if he keeps progressing.

Micah is great, but Micah should not go to the NBA after 2 years unless he manages to really bulk up. If he goes too early he will hurt his career in my opinion. Sure maybe he goes early and takes the Whiteside path but not many have the same successful journey Whiteside did.

Online Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very impressive performance last night by the Herd.  It is possibly the best game they played all season.  Not only was the ball movement phenomenal, but the player movement was too.  The defense was swarming and completely threw SM off of their game.  It was great to see the Herd perform on national TV like that.  At halftime the studio crew was raving about the Herd and how much fun they are to watch play.  The color guy, David Padgett, remarked during the game about how wide open DD's offense is and why any player wouldn't want to play in that style of offense.  Hopefully the guys the staff has been recruiting were watching the game.  Like others have pointed out, Micah is growing leaps and bounds.  Like 'bust has said, he puts on about 20/30 lbs and the sky is the limit for him.   

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »

Offline Always THE HERD

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2023, 08:46:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2023, 08:53:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I would like to see Tavion's shooting percentage from last night. He was red hot in the first half. He has fully developed that mid range jumper. The foul shooting thing is something we will be discussing a lot the rest of the season. Eventually, it will cost us more games. At one time, we were shooting around 33% last night. I know we finished with something like 58%. Obinna missed a couple, Andy missed two, Micah missed some. Kinsey was pretty consistant last night from what I remember.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 08:54:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Very impressive performance last night by the Herd.  It is possibly the best game they played all season.  Not only was the ball movement phenomenal, but the player movement was too.  The defense was swarming and completely threw SM off of their game.  It was great to see the Herd perform on national TV like that.  At halftime the studio crew was raving about the Herd and how much fun they are to watch play.  The color guy, David Padgett, remarked during the game about how wide open DD's offense is and why any player wouldn't want to play in that style of offense.  Hopefully the guys the staff has been recruiting were watching the game.  Like others have pointed out, Micah is growing leaps and bounds.  Like 'bust has said, he puts on about 20/30 lbs and the sky is the limit for him.

I truly hope that we can keep him 1-2 more years. I really believe if he adds 20-25 pounds and gets up to about 250 he will become an all American candidate here at Marshall. Those 3 freshman are smart, talented and have great court awareness. Not to mention they are 7'1", 6'10", 6'9". We know how much Micah has come on and progressed. But I believe Conner who was slowed by injury although he played thru it, will start coming on now since he is getting healthy. And Fricks should start coming on as well since he has got healthy. Those 2 can help us become the favorite in the SB imo by the end of the year.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, Rockin Herd Fan, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 08:54:15 AM »