Author Topic: Biggest difference from last year to this year in Basketball  (Read 809 times)

Offline saherdfan

Biggest difference from last year to this year in Basketball
« on: January 12, 2023, 11:59:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1.  Length
    2.  Offensive Rebounding
    3.  We have a Defense.
    5.  We hit the 3 we can be a really good team.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

HerdFans.com

Biggest difference from last year to this year in Basketball
    « on: January 12, 2023, 11:59:03 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

Re: Biggest difference from last year to this year in Basketball
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 12:10:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1.  Length
    2.  Offensive Rebounding
    3.  We have a Defense.

We could see this team was going to completely turn it around during the summer. The atletic length of this team with the 3 freshman is the difference. And Cam doesn't get the credit he deserves. He is such a hard nosed player and hits some big 3s at clutch times. Fun times for sure.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 12:27:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No doubt on Curfman.  If he hits close to the 3-point percentage for the HERD that he shot in his career at VMI (3 seasons) it just opens up some many other scoring opportunities for the other 4 guys on the floor.  And tonight showed clearly that we have a lot of OTHER firepower out on the court!!
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:06:50 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Big City, MUonium

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 05:49:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I said it last year and in the off-season, just on numbers we shot way below average last year. Only 2-3 players off the bench came close to their career averages but they didn't impact. As long as this team hits their career average and the freshmen play their role we should win 85% or more.

But that was fun to watch last night. The breaks, the extra pass, the D. Hope the Herd finds its way on cable ESPN more.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man, MUonium

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 08:41:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We could see this team was going to completely turn it around during the summer. The atletic length of this team with the 3 freshman is the difference. And Cam doesn't get the credit he deserves. He is such a hard nosed player and hits some big 3s at clutch times. Fun times for sure.

Cam is taking better shots than he has at times during the season. Even the deep 3s are good shots if he's squared up and "feeling it".

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, pembrook burrows III, The E-Man, MUonium, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 12:24:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Micah

Conners

Curfman

Fricks

Dan playing a shorter bench and allowing Kinsey to play his role.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, pembrook burrows III, Collis P, The E-Man, MUonium, herdorbust2

Offline wlf

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 10:12:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Recruiting , maybe we're beginning to solve the problem.
    Recruiting
    Recruiting

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man, MUonium

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 10:18:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All of the above. The major difference to me is the defense, with our length it can be stifling.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herdmeister, The E-Man, MUonium

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 10:34:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All of the above. The major difference to me is the defense, with our length it can be stifling.

Agree. The big difference is the 3 freshman move their feet and usually stay in front of their man. Beyers and Jannson always let their man by and tried to block it from the back. Also the 3 freshman being so long and athletic, close very fast out to the 3 point line. The Robert Morris coach said they thought they had an open 3 at times and it was shut down because of our length and speed inside out.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, MUonium

Online elginherd

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 05:25:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree. The big difference is the 3 freshman move their feet and usually stay in front of their man. Beyers and Jannson always let their man by and tried to block it from the back. Also the 3 freshman being so long and athletic, close very fast out to the 3 point line. The Robert Morris coach said they thought they had an open 3 at times and it was shut down because of our length and speed inside out.

There's another element in the perimeter defense...the Herd is MUCH better than any other year in reading the moment to switch.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUonium

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2023, 06:09:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I said it last year and in the off-season, just on numbers we shot way below average last year. Only 2-3 players off the bench came close to their career averages but they didn't impact. As long as this team hits their career average and the freshmen play their role we should win 85% or more.

But that was fun to watch last night. The breaks, the extra pass, the D. Hope the Herd finds its way on cable ESPN more.
    I told a buddy of mine the other night that I thought that MU was represented well by the team, fan base, student body, and university as a whole showing ESPN and the SBC that they deserve more actual TV games on one of the ESPN networks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 06:25:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1.  Length
    2.  Offensive Rebounding
    3.  We have a Defense.
    6.  Attitude which reflects on 2 and 3

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUonium

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline wlf

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have the same coaches , except swapped Rigot for Williams (and Rigot recruited Handlogden), same. It's the recruits, these freshmen are better ballplayers than we're used to period. You can't teach natural ability and competitiveness. We're racing with better horses. Seems we got lucky recruiting this time to me.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium, herdorbust2

Offline herdinphilly

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 03:41:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love watching Curfman shoot!n From any zip code!

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 03:47:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kurman was deadly in the first half. He slowed down a little in the 2nd half. I credit some of that to ODU's defense. But he showed what he can do at the three-point line. I just think early in the year, he was trying to impress too much, and he pushed things. He is now letting the game come to him.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 04:01:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kurman was deadly in the first half. He slowed down a little in the 2nd half. I credit some of that to ODU's defense. But he showed what he can do at the three-point line. I just think early in the year, he was trying to impress too much, and he pushed things. He is now letting the game come to him.

I had told everyone how he could light it up before the season. The first couple games he struggled mainly because he was pressing and wanted to live up to the hype. I had people say he can't shoot and almost seemed to enjoy that a practice report was going to be so wrong. But we have seen him in practice just completely go off and he is a machine. I've seen him warming up from between the 3 point line and half court and he would nail 13-14 in a row different times. It's crazy watching him do that sometimes.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

HerdFans.com

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 04:01:37 PM »