Author Topic: Sell out?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline saherdfan

Sell out?
« on: January 13, 2023, 12:12:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just happen to make it back in town off of a business trip from Cinci.  Stopped in to watch the game at my son's place in H-Town.  At half we saw all the empty seats.  We went to the game at half and had a great time.  I know our administration has not had to deal with this "sellout thing", but they have to figure out how to get the season ticket holders that are not able to make it to the game to allow their seats to be sold again, or give upgrades.  At least figure out how to move people closer to the floor.  I really dont know what the answers are, but we have to give these boys a better home court advantage.  Maybe announcer says during the game calls out upper deck tick holder and give them an opportunity to fill the seats in the lower rows that are not filled.  SOMETHING.  Great attendance, but we have to figure out how to pack fans in around the court better.  Someone smarter than me will have to figure this out.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, svherd, ed swain, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Sell out?
    « on: January 13, 2023, 12:12:50 AM »

Offline saherdfan

Re: Sell out?
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 12:14:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • PS. Best students section i have seen for a long time. 

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop, wlf

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 12:15:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just happen to make it back in town off of a business trip from Cinci.  Stopped in to watch the game at my son's place in H-Town.  At half we saw all the empty seats.  We went to the game at half and had a great time.  I know our administration has not had to deal with this "sellout thing", but they have to figure out how to get the season ticket holders that are not able to make it to the game to allow their seats to be sold again, or give upgrades.  At least figure out how to move people closer to the floor.  I really dont know what the answers are, but we have to give these boys a better home court advantage.  Maybe announcer says during the game calls out upper deck tick holder and give them an opportunity to fill the seats in the lower rows that are not filled.  SOMETHING.  Great attendance, but we have to figure out how to pack fans in around the court better.  Someone smarter than me will have to figure this out.

Saturdays game is the one sold out not tonight.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 12:23:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Saturdays game is the one sold out not tonight.

After tonight, bust, Saturday's game won't be "alone"!  :)

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 12:29:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well i got bad info.  A radio station giving away MU tickets said the game was sold out when i was driving.  I was late, but we had fun.  Still, if we keep winning our administration have to figure out how to fill the lower levels. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 08:19:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • PS. Best students section i have seen for a long time.

That will help tremendously. Gotta grow the student attendance.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, wlf, coalherd

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 08:49:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are five seats down from me that have not been used in full all season. Last night, a couple of them were used. I think only one other game had people in some of the seats. I was told a company bought those seats. Somehow, those seats need to be filled. As Goherd24 said in another post, all tickets are gone but there will be empty seats. Still should have around 5000 there. Going to be a great atmosphere for sure.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 08:58:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are five seats down from me that have not been used in full all season. Last night, a couple of them were used. I think only one other game had people in some of the seats. I was told a company bought those seats. Somehow, those seats need to be filled. As Goherd24 said in another post, all tickets are gone but there will be empty seats. Still should have around 5000 there. Going to be a great atmosphere for sure.

I know someone that has several seats to give away. He told me that he tries to give them away to customers, but he hasn't had many takers. I guess the problem is the result of the disaster of last season. If we keep winning, the seats will be used.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:00:23 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope so. I know the guy in front of me drives a long distance to games. He wasn't there last night but I look for him to be there Saturday.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 09:15:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These company's that have these seats that aren't filled should let Marshall have the tickets back on morning of game day if they haven't got a customer to use them. Then let Marshall give them away to local students or familys. No need for them to be bought and not used.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herdfan129

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 09:18:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just be glad someone is supporting The Big Green Club and purchasing tickets.
    « Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:33:24 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, 2xBison, wlf, VA Herd Fan

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 10:14:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • These company's that have these seats that aren't filled should let Marshall have the tickets back on morning of game day if they haven't got a customer to use them. Then let Marshall give them away to local students or familys. No need for them to be bought and not used.

That?s a good idea. I wonder if they could get a tax write off for the ?donation? of the ticket?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 10:14:26 AM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 10:22:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• That?s a good idea. I wonder if they could get a tax write off for the ?donation? of the ticket?

No, they already got that write off with the advertising contract. People just need to stop being lazy turds. I have given away and filled our seats we aren't using almost every game.

Offline whf

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 10:30:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, they already got that write off with the advertising contract. People just need to stop being lazy turds. I have given away and filled our seats we aren't using almost every game.
    I actually do use mine, when I can't make it, for clients or affiliates, first, too.  I have a list, so I mix it up.  I try to mix up the client/affiliate list and this forum; about 70 / 30.  As I tell both outlets, I want those seats filled.

When you live 2.5 hours away, making all the games just doesn't happen, but butts in my two seats is important to me. Only think I really don't like is when I give them to someone and they decide not to attend.  Expect nothing in return for the game tickets (most of the time), except to go if you take them.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Just seems like our admin could reach out to "that company" and ask them to let us know if they are going to be filling these seats or not.  If no one is filling them, then we could more some happy fans from the upper deck to the lower seating.  Empty seats around the bottom doesn't look good.  Somehow we need to get that fixed.

Offline mr_ash_1995

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 03:02:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Agreed...put them on Vet Tics or something. 
    Might as well have been showing a microwave to a caveman. - BBCARD1

Checker = D'Antoni...Pruett...Holliday...Huckabay...Chaump

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 03:58:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only thing I can control is my seats being occupied. They will be all season. I'm paying for being there last night, but it was worth it.

Offline Pinkerton99

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 04:08:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You could incentivize the ticket owners to "give back" unused tickets to Marshall by giving half the face value back. Then re-sell the tickets at face value.

Only offer this service when you expect a sell out.

Season ticket holder is happy to recover $$.
    Marshall makes money and has fun full arena.
    Somebody gets great seats who otherwise can't.

Win. Win. Win.

The only issue is making sure someone doesn't show up with tickets that are no longer valid; so you'd have to use a digital ticket.

A simpler approach would involve ticket office calling people after the game asking why their seats weren't used.

Note: I'm not Eric Pinkerton.

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 04:14:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with what most on here are saying but in reality if someone or a company owns the right to that seat, they have absolutely no obligation to anyone to use it.
    I would image that some companies buy these and they are not necessarily Marshall or sports fans for that matter. They buy for advertising or tax reasons.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: muherd34

Offline MUther

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2023, 05:07:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder if we could offer honorary seats?  Like they count as tickets sold but don't occupy real estate in the arena.  They could come with a voucher for the best available seats anytime they were to actually be needed, but would allow us to sell prime seating (double dip) on the lower bowl premium seating.  You make a phantom section where the honorary seats are ticketed.  But, like I said, if someone would actually choose to go to the game they could present a voucher to get access to actual seats that are already paid for, anyway, in the best seats still available and could be done in advance to get the very best seats possible. 

This would make sellouts actually sellouts with full seating.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2023, 05:40:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with what most on here are saying but in reality if someone or a company owns the right to that seat, they have absolutely no obligation to anyone to use it.
    I would image that some companies buy these and they are not necessarily Marshall or sports fans for that matter. They buy for advertising or tax reasons.

I agree with you about that. BUT if they are Herd fans and actually try to give them away and can't find anyone then they need to have it set up with Marshall to send them back on game day morning so they can be used. What would it hurt? This is a no brainer imo. It doesn't do anyone any good to keep those seats empty.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 07:59:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe during preseason ticket sales, particularly to corporate/business interests, we can use an approach to offer a block # of tickets for a business discount, especially IF the business indicates that they will NOT be using said tickets for games, but more as an advertising expense.  Then, we can somehow manage to ascertain an equivalent amount of space equal to that of the number of seats purchased by said business.  Then an equivalent amount of said space is used to advertise that business on the CAM Tarp(s).  Business gets to write off as an advertising expense the money spent on MU "tickets".  MU gets the $$$$ from business purchase of "tickets", and still has equivalent number of seats to sell to customers more intent on being at HERD games.  A "win-win" for all parties.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 07:59:53 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2023, 10:03:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herd is a 9.5 point favorite against ODU.

Offline breckjimison

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2023, 12:01:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe during preseason ticket sales, particularly to corporate/business interests, we can use an approach to offer a block # of tickets for a business discount, especially IF the business indicates that they will NOT be using said tickets for games, but more as an advertising expense.  Then, we can somehow manage to ascertain an equivalent amount of space equal to that of the number of seats purchased by said business.  Then an equivalent amount of said space is used to advertise that business on the CAM Tarp(s).  Business gets to write off as an advertising expense the money spent on MU "tickets".  MU gets the $$$$ from business purchase of "tickets", and still has equivalent number of seats to sell to customers more intent on being at HERD games.  A "win-win" for all parties.
    That sounds way to easy. Maybe?

Offline breckjimison

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 01:00:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I am sure that the vast majority of us are aware of that. But there could easily be some kind of back-up plan that lets those seats get occupied either if that means that the person/organization that purchased the seat notifies the ticket office in advance of if the seats have not been occupied throughout the first half of the game.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 01:00:48 AM »