Author Topic: Coach Huff on Taking Another Job.  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

Coach Huff on Taking Another Job.
« on: January 13, 2023, 08:53:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great question on the Podcast asking Coach Huff on the rumors of his leaving. Go to around the 1:15:20 mark to watch it. He did say that his name is mentioned due to him being a minority and the pundits always include a minority. Coach said that is the world we live today. Plus of the pundits usually have no knowledge of potential candidates. Coach Huff did say his contract has language in it that he must notify President Smith or the AD if has contact with another coaching vacancy. If he does leave, MU will at least have a warning.

He also had a great response to leaving, either I will be fired or I will leave. He mentioned that MU even fired Pruett. I will say Coach Huff is one of the most intelligent coaches I have ever heard.

Great job on the Podcast.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]&t=698s

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, Banshee, The E-Man, MUonium, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

Coach Huff on Taking Another Job.
    « on: January 13, 2023, 08:53:42 AM »

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Re: Coach Huff on Taking Another Job.
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 09:19:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Though at time I get blasted for it, I am a strong advocate of Coach Huff. I think our best case scenario would be to keep him for three more years. I don't think he is the greatest gameday coach, though I think he is making progress. I have at times questioned the coach's take on the QB back to Bob Pruett. But the thing I like about Huff is he understands the modern game we are playing. I love the passion he brings to the job and he seems to know where to find talent and how to convince them to come to Marshall. I am glad we have him and would enjoy keeping him until he gets a shot at a big-time program. He is incentivized in that he has to win at Marshall to get that big shot. TBH, he doesn't have to win big to get a slightly bigger program and a better payday...he can do that on his personality.

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 09:24:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's obvious to me that he is a players coach. The kids seem to like him very much. The fact we finished the season to strong tells me he has their attention and trust. In past years, we've seen the collapses and not come back from those. I am lukewarm on him, glad to have him here. He's growing on me.

Next year will be a challenge for he and the staff. Holes to fill, passing game must improve, more difficult schedule. We'll see what happens.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, herdfan93, The E-Man, MUonium, overherd1, MicDrass1, herdfan129, FilmJunky

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 09:25:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was impressed by his statement that he wasn't interested in getting a pay raise from MU. He would rather see the money used for the football program like a training table and other resources. He mentioned on DL who lost a lot of weight by the end of the season. We need to take care of the players.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, MUonium, MicDrass1, herdfan129

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 09:42:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was impressed by his statement that he wasn't interested in getting a pay raise from MU. He would rather see the money used for the football program like a training table and other resources. He mentioned on DL who lost a lot of weight by the end of the season. We need to take care of the players.

Do we have a training table?  I had never heard that we do?  I know we feed our athletes obviously, but some schools have a dedicated facility for athletes to eat the best of foods year round in a state of the art facility

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 09:47:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully we take another step this season and win a conference title

We will have to be a lot better on O to take the next step and I hope Huff knows that and is recruiting like crazy to get more "dudes" for the O

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, The E-Man, MUonium

Offline svherd

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 10:13:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do we have a training table?  I had never heard that we do?  I know we feed our athletes obviously, but some schools have a dedicated facility for athletes to eat the best of foods year round in a state of the art facility

We do have a new Nutrition Center that Huff pushed for. I think it's in the weight room.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 10:22:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We do have a new Nutrition Center that Huff pushed for. I think it's in the weight room.
    It was actually implemented under Doc.  Pretty sure the QB club raises the funds to keep it stocked.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline Big City

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 10:34:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff really grew on me this past season. His first season left me with with a sour taste but I like the trajectory he has the program on. I like the fact this he's accessible with and engages fans.

Yes the team had its low minute but he lead the program though adversity well. Marshall is much better off compared to 2-3 years ago.

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, svherd, biggreenarms, ru4mu2, The E-Man, herdfifteen, MUonium

Offline svherd

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 11:16:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was actually implemented under Doc.  Pretty sure the QB club raises the funds to keep it stocked.

My bad. Didn't know it had been around that long. Just saw pics in last issue or so of Thundering Herd illustrated.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Doing it the Herd Way

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 12:37:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The nutrition center is both old and new. Implemented under Doc but drastically renovated and improved in 2022.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd, The E-Man, MicDrass1

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 12:48:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do we have a training table?  I had never heard that we do?  I know we feed our athletes obviously, but some schools have a dedicated facility for athletes to eat the best of foods year round in a state of the art facility

If I remember correctly, we tried to implement a "training table" during the Ellwood or Sonny years? It would be nice to have a dedicated training table for all athletes at MU (think Title 9). I think Huff said one DL lost 20-30 pounds over the course of the season. Coach Huff said we needed to address this issue on the Podcast.  Athletes burn a lot more calories than the rest of the student body.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 12:48:35 PM »

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 12:58:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The nutrition center is both old and new. Implemented under Doc but drastically renovated and improved in 2022.
    as it should be....

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 03:43:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fact of the matter is, Huff knows what it takes to be at the top. He striving for Marshall to get to that point; especially in the SBC. If we can get to that point success can be had whether Huff is here or not, and I truly think that is where he wants this program to be.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, The E-Man, HoPPy785

Offline MUther

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 05:18:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fact of the matter is, Huff knows what it takes to be at the top. He striving for Marshall to get to that point; especially in the SBC. If we can get to that point success can be had whether Huff is here or not, and I truly think that is where he wants this program to be.

Must be weird to come from Alabama, where those things are taken for granted and never in question, to here, where everything must be discussed and accounted for in an ever tightening budget.  He could snap his fingers and make thing appear down there.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 08:14:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is the link

The following users thanked this post: beau42m, Doing it the Herd Way

Offline beau42m

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 01:56:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    « Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 07:00:56 PM by beau42m »

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 04:59:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boy, man everyone can't heap the praise on Coach Huff qualitatively or quantitatively enough here. Third place East Division this past season. Now he said on TV this week that "he hopes Marshall lets him coach here for a long time". He's the one who trashed Huntington in the eyes of the world just after the Notre Dame win. Well, we'll see Charlie. I guess your golden parachute didn't deploy properly for you at season's end. You stated your true feelings about the place, at least those on Huntington. Does anyone ever tell you that you talk too much?

Sorry you hate winning so much.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline beau42m

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 05:38:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    « Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 07:01:27 PM by beau42m »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 05:58:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate two-timers like Huff even more. I hope he goes the way of Charlie Snyder, Moss, Ellwood, Randle, and Mark Snyder. Doc excluded. I miss Doc.

Good grief!!! I don't miss getting shut out at home or down 40-0 at halftime at home.

Offline beau42m

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2023, 06:33:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Potential 1-3 start next year. How happy will the board be then?

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2023, 07:51:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    You should have stopped prognosticating after you predicted JMU would throttle us 42-17 this past season.  You were negative on Huff from early season on as well as the QB, yet Huff managed to go 9-4.  I like the trajectory of program.  Next year will be a huge test, tough in and out of conference schedule.

We will see how it goes. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: W0lfman, Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, The E-Man, BuckHerd, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2023, 07:51:54 AM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2023, 08:04:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Potential 4-0 start next season. ::)
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #23 on: January 14, 2023, 08:15:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate two-timers like Huff even more. I hope he goes the way of Charlie Snyder, Moss, Ellwood, Randle, and Mark Snyder. Doc excluded. I miss Doc.

Huff needs to get much better on O, win games we should and continue buying in to Marshall and Huntington, but he is growing from what I can see. I expect another step forward this season and us contending for a conference title.

But you say you miss Doc?!?!

LMAO!
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:56:06 AM by Garbanjo »

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, Big City, biggreenarms, The E-Man, BuckHerd

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 09:42:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You mean like the prognosticators one basketball before the season started? Fans are always the smartest people in the world until the games are actually played and PROVED otherwise.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 09:42:29 AM »