Author Topic: I don't know about anyone else  (Read 1050 times)

Online herdorbust2

I don't know about anyone else
« on: January 14, 2023, 10:22:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But Obinna may be the most frustrating player ever for me. He plays great D and so athletic for his size. But he is horrible at the FT line and is 0 for his last 6. And misses way to many chippies around the basket. If we could get his FT shooting up and get Conner and Fricks playing like they are capable with confidence, we win this conference.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990, parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, wlf

HerdFans.com

I don't know about anyone else
    « on: January 14, 2023, 10:22:34 PM »

Offline GreenWhite

Re: I don't know about anyone else
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 10:31:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought Obinna played better tonight. You are right, he needs to improve his free throw shooting. Heck, the whole team needs to improve in that area. As for Connor and Fricks, they are freshmen that are going to have those up and down games, especially on offense. Heck, we even saw that from Micah tonight. He had a rough game offensively. He and Obinna were good for the most part on defense.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:43:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought Obinna played better tonight. You are right, he needs to improve his free throw shooting. Heck, the whole team needs to improve in that area. As for Connor and Fricks, they are freshmen that are going to have those up and down games, especially on offense. Heck, we even saw that from Micah tonight. He had a rough game offensively. He and Obinna were good for the most part on defense.

I agree. But those 3 players could take us to another level. Kinsey and Andrew bring the game every night. Curfman is playing very good ball and hitting some big 3's. And Micah gives us rebounds and blocks every game and usually at least 8 points or so. But if OAK, Conner and Fricks could step up we could be nasty. I realize the 3 freshman will be up and down but they need to play with a tough attitude and aggressive. I've seen how they can play. They just need to break out in game mode.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Online elginherd

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 10:53:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

His foul shots were ALL bricks!
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 10:59:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No points from the bench is a concern. Can't have that happen often.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline coalherd

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 11:05:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • D'Antoni should flat out tell OAK NO treys until he's hitting 50% or better from the foul line.  According to radio crew, ODU had no starters over 6'7", but I believe one sub was 6'10".  However, they exposed one of our weaknesses on the interior.  For stretches in the game we weren't hitting 3s and it was one and done cause we had NO O rebounding.  Our frosh frontliners certainly have "length" but need strength/bulk and physicality.  Hopefully, that will take care of itself with maturity and some S&C work going forward.  Radio crew pointed out several times that ODU's game was to take the ball inside and that the HERD players were often late in rotating over.  They had one guy that several plays handled the ball all alone on several ODU possessions but still managed to take the ball all the way to the rack and FINISH.  Again, as Fricks, Conner and Micah gain more gain experience, and maturity, etc., that "deficiency" should/will improve!

Every game certainly can't be a pristine "thing of beauty".  Winning "Ugly" is still WINNING!!  On to Texas and Arkansas!!  GO HERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 11:16:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No points from the bench is a concern. Can't have that happen often.

Umm, but our philosophy is getting young players, not transfers, whom the staff can develop and thus they will be fully "proficient" in Danny's "system".  So, I guess we can conclude that 3rd and 4th year players like Goran, Early, Marko, etc., have been so expertly "developed" by this staff that now their level of play is such that the HC doesn't feel comfortable about playing them in ANY game situations!!  Just wonder whom on the staff has really been in charge of their "development" and all the "progress" that they have made to this point?  It can't be that the caliber of competition and opponents is the factor in their lack of PT, since we all know, or have been told, that the caliber of SCB ball overall is not at the level of our former home in CUSA!!

Offline MUonium

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 11:16:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it was the bench who didn't help.  when starters have a bad game the bench needs to produce!

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 11:00:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OAK played a decent floor game. His shot issues have to be confidence. I don't think they are form related. They aren't flat. They're just off line. Elbow seems consistent. He knocked down a 17-ft jumper that was big, then got a dunk immediately after that.

He's been in foul trouble a lot. He's vital to our success. He is a factor on D even when his O is struggling. He's worth the extended time on the floor when possible. I know he didn't play much in second half vs USM, but that was more because the lineup on the floor was hitting on all cylinders.

He's going to have a 17+ pt., 10 rebound game in one of our next few road games. Wait and see.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Always THE HERD

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OAK played a decent floor game. His shot issues have to be confidence. I don't think they are form related. They aren't flat. They're just off line. Elbow seems consistent. He knocked down a 17-ft jumper that was big, then got a dunk immediately after that.

He's been in foul trouble a lot. He's vital to our success. He is a factor on D even when his O is struggling. He's worth the extended time on the floor when possible. I know he didn't play much in second half vs USM, but that was more because the lineup on the floor was hitting on all cylinders.

He's going to have a 17+ pt., 10 rebound game in one of our next few road games. Wait and see.

That is why I posted the most frustrating player ever. I'm not saying he shouldn't play. Exactly the opposite because he has potential oozing all over him. Great athlete, defender and motor. But his in close game and FTs are absolutely awful and that is the easiest part of the game. That is why it's frustrating. He needs to be on the floor but he is going to cost us games going 1-7 at the line or missing those little put backs all the time. If he does come back next year he should spend the entire off-season working on FTs and in close put backs.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online elginherd

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 11:10:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He has collected a few fouls, no doubt. But I would bet that DD & company are OK with most of his fouls. One of the reasons for the Herd's success this season is because OAK can play aggressively on the defensive end without sweating committing an extra foul or two on the defensive end.

I would also bet that DD & company are not OK with his illegal pick fouls. Of course some of that is because of who's being screened for.
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 12:50:30 PM by elginherd »
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ThunderingHerdFan

Offline wlf

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 11:11:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Umm, but our philosophy is getting young players, not transfers, whom the staff can develop and thus they will be fully "proficient" in Danny's "system".  So, I guess we can conclude that 3rd and 4th year players like Goran, Early, Marko, etc., have been so expertly "developed" by this staff that now their level of play is such that the HC doesn't feel comfortable about playing them in ANY game situations!!  Just wonder whom on the staff has really been in charge of their "development" and all the "progress" that they have made to this point?  It can't be that the caliber of competition and opponents is the factor in their lack of PT, since we all know, or have been told, that the caliber of SCB ball overall is not at the level of our former home in CUSA!!
    It's got nothing to do with development. It's got everything to do with recruiting talent.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 11:11:16 AM »

Offline Bigoherd

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 11:36:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my opinion, OAK is one of D?antoni?s best recruits.  He brings a physical, athletic presence and a relentless motor.  I have been critical of his shot selection but we are a better team when he is on the floor.  Against physical teams, he is an absolute must.  If he improves his shot (to mid range - not necessarily out past the 3 point line), he will be a monster. 

I am still waiting to see what so many people see in Fricks.  Athletic?  Yes.  But painfully underdeveloped physically and if he is not contributing offensively, he seems to be a liability.  I know he is part of the rotation, but with a year sitting out, one would think he would have worked on developing his body to be D1 ready.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Big City, MUonium

Online girthyherdon

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 11:58:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still think Early is getting the shaft with no playing time. Always produces when he's in the game, plays good D and handles the ball well. You can tell he's extremely frustrated and unfortunately I don't see him back next year. For the life of me I don't understand how he can't get at least 10-15 minutes a game.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 12:12:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my opinion, OAK is one of D?antoni?s best recruits.  He brings a physical, athletic presence and a relentless motor.  I have been critical of his shot selection but we are a better team when he is on the floor.  Against physical teams, he is an absolute must.  If he improves his shot (to mid range - not necessarily out past the 3 point line), he will be a monster. 

I am still waiting to see what so many people see in Fricks.  Athletic?  Yes.  But painfully underdeveloped physically and if he is not contributing offensively, he seems to be a liability.  I know he is part of the rotation, but with a year sitting out, one would think he would have worked on developing his body to be D1 ready.
    that could have been said even more so about a Peneva for 2 years. Give him time and he is going to make you very happy.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 12:32:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know this is Fricks first year playing and I really like him but honestly I have been somewhat disappointed so far.  I hope by tournament time he will come around.

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MUfan08

Offline wlf

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 03:23:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope we get more disappointing freshmen like Fricks in the future. The kid can shoot. You could see, the 3 have been better since the summer they got here and bested those ahead of them. They're the reason this team is better than last year.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:28:17 PM by wlf »

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, herdorbust2

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 03:44:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Fricks will be a good player for us. Just seems Micah and Jacob adapted faster to what the coaching staff wants. I expect more teams to try and get physical with our post players. Right now, the best way to neutralize Micah is to get him in foul trouble. Same with OAK. With freshmen, we have to be prepared for an up and down season from them. As the year progresses, there will be more ups than downs. These guys should be ready come tournament time.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Herdmeister

Offline coalherd

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 08:26:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't tell me that for the remainder of our schedule, including the Conference Tourney, that we can expect to win most of those games getting our O basically from THREE players like we did last night!  As other thread has mentioned, ODU Coach set his D to try and stop or limit Handlogten's scoring/production.  We also got little or nothing from our other two frosh offensively.  And, again, our remaining bench players were non-factors.  Just don't think we can expect success game in and game out with such a formula!  Going to have to try/play Early, Goran, etc., a little more when Connor, Fricks, etc., aren't producing.  No doubt those two have a lot of potential which bodes well for MU basketball in the long run.  Hopefully, their play will ramp up a tick or two by tourney time.  Maybe Kinsey, Taylor, Curfman can CARRY us in a game or two as this season progresses, but not EVERY game, IMO!

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 08:39:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't tell me that for the remainder of our schedule, including the Conference Tourney, that we can expect to win most of those games getting our O basically from THREE players like we did last night!  As other thread has mentioned, ODU Coach set his D to try and stop or limit Handlogten's scoring/production.  We also got little or nothing from our other two frosh offensively.  And, again, our remaining bench players were non-factors.  Just don't think we can expect success game in and game out with such a formula!  Going to have to try/play Early, Goran, etc., a little more when Connor, Fricks, etc., aren't producing.  No doubt those two have a lot of potential which bodes well for MU basketball in the long run.  Hopefully, their play will ramp up a tick or two by tourney time.  Maybe Kinsey, Taylor, Curfman can CARRY us in a game or two as this season progresses, but not EVERY game, IMO!

What do you mean when they aren't producing? You mean offense? Their is 2 ends of the floor. Connor and Fricks bring a lot to the defensive end of the floor. I don't know how many times it has to be said, if you go to Goran, Early, Sarenac etc very much then you are looking at last year. We are 15-4 instead of 12-21 for a reason. It's called 3 freshman and Curfman added to the big 3. It's that simple. You may play one of those guys for about 2-3 minutes a game but that is about it. We are going to go as far as those 7 will take us.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2023, 08:48:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still need MORE production from the 3 frosh, in any combination, in terms of OFFENSE, bust, than we got last night.  Especially against the League's better teams and on the road.  Will have to come from them, or from 2-3 veteran players off the bench, in some spots in future games, is all I'm saying.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2023, 08:54:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still need MORE production from the 3 frosh, in any combination, in terms of OFFENSE, bust, than we got last night.  Especially against the League's better teams and on the road.  Will have to come from them, or from 2-3 veteran players off the bench, in some spots in future games, is all I'm saying.

But it does no good if you don't stop the other team. They let Taveon and Andy get most of the shots with Curfman and Oak next. If they took 15 shots a game they would score more. I don't know why people want to revert back to what got us 12-21. Stay the course with what is working and the more the freshman play the better they will get. There will be ups and downs with freshman but eventually they figure it all out.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2023, 08:54:35 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 08:28:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • D'Antoni should flat out tell OAK NO treys until he's hitting 50% or better from the foul line.  According to radio crew, ODU had no starters over 6'7", but I believe one sub was 6'10".  However, they exposed one of our weaknesses on the interior.  For stretches in the game we weren't hitting 3s and it was one and done cause we had NO O rebounding.  Our frosh frontliners certainly have "length" but need strength/bulk and physicality.  Hopefully, that will take care of itself with maturity and some S&C work going forward.  Radio crew pointed out several times that ODU's game was to take the ball inside and that the HERD players were often late in rotating over.  They had one guy that several plays handled the ball all alone on several ODU possessions but still managed to take the ball all the way to the rack and FINISH.  Again, as Fricks, Conner and Micah gain more gain experience, and maturity, etc., that "deficiency" should/will improve!

Every game certainly can't be a pristine "thing of beauty".  Winning "Ugly" is still WINNING!!  On to Texas and Arkansas!!  GO HERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny has said on many occasions that we MUST allow OAK or for that matter allow everyone to shoot 3's. It is part of our offense. When someone shoots from there that means that someone has to come out and defend. That is what opens up holes for us to drive, pick and roll etc.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Collis P

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 09:43:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny has said on many occasions that we MUST allow OAK or for that matter allow everyone to shoot 3's. It is part of our offense. When someone shoots from there that means that someone has to come out and defend. That is what opens up holes for us to drive, pick and roll etc.

I have to respectfully disagree with Danny on this..   Teams will realize that Obinna and Micah cannot shoot a good percentage from the 3 and therefore let them shoot and Pack the Lane!!   I realize Danny has 50 plus years of coaching but I don't think this works BEST for his system.       JMO  - Sorry! 
    S M I L E -

Offline goherd50

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 09:52:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Teams already have.  That is why you see OAK and Micah standing wide open at the top of the key.  Other teams know they don't have to guard against that shot and, likely, hope they take it.

They contribute so much on defense and rebounding they have to be in there, but it does keep the offense from functioning optimally.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 09:52:23 AM »