Author Topic: Crowd  (Read 885 times)

Offline GreenWhite

Crowd
« on: January 14, 2023, 10:38:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good crowd tonight. Might not have been into it as much as Thursday night. Good to see the students come out for a second straight game. Just wish the pep band would play more. Not impressed at all with the music selection of our DJ. Needs a little more variety. Last two games have shown what a compact crowd can sound like. One thing I noticed as I came in was people being turned away wanting to buy a ticket to the game. Since we've known since Wednesday or Thursday that the game tonight was sold out, a section of bleachers needed to be opened up. Hate turning fans away. I do know that there were a lot of seats unoccupied in the upper level, so those people did not show up.

The following users thanked this post: whf, chris88

HerdFans.com

Crowd
    « on: January 14, 2023, 10:38:50 PM »

Offline coalherd

Re: Crowd
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 10:51:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Announced crowd on the radio broadcast was 5700+.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Offline whf

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 11:16:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Granddaughter is a student and said she got there about 10 minutes too late to get in.  Not sure about how that should happen, you'd think very student that wants in should be able to get in ....somewhere.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline MUther

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 12:02:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Granddaughter is a student and said she got there about 10 minutes too late to get in.  Not sure about how that should happen, you'd think very student that wants in should be able to get in ....somewhere.

IF they're going to do that then they need a preticketing setup, first come first serve, so they know in advance that the students are filled.  Definitely not right to turn them away at the door when they technically already purchased tickets.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, svherd

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 12:05:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is awesome. It creates demand and something we have been missing in all sports since the football stadium expansion.

Love that the students are not only there, but are also getting in to the game.

I love all the new changes under the new AD.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUther

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 12:13:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is awesome. It creates demand and something we have been missing in all sports since the football stadium expansion.

Love that the students are not only there, but are also getting in to the game.

I love all the new changes under the new AD.

Turning away students that already paid fees to get into the game is not awesome.  That's like turning away a season ticket holder because it's sold out.  Like I said at least let them know in advance of going down there who is getting in and who isn't.  Maybe a student lottery.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, Collis P

Offline goherd24

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 12:45:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Turning away students that already paid fees to get into the game is not awesome.  That's like turning away a season ticket holder because it's sold out.  Like I said at least let them know in advance of going down there who is getting in and who isn't.  Maybe a student lottery.

For once we agree. It's (bleep). They need to take the tarps off.

Offline bearmann64

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 01:03:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There were still empty seats , about half the row in front of me were empty, and empty seats in the upper bowl too. Attendance is tickets sold not tickets scanned at the doors

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 08:02:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Turning away students that already paid fees to get into the game is not awesome.  That's like turning away a season ticket holder because it's sold out.  Like I said at least let them know in advance of going down there who is getting in and who isn't.  Maybe a student lottery.

You realize that students miss out on tickets at all the big schools correct?

This is all new, give the AD some time to figure things out. This is a GREAT problem to have.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, VA Herd Fan

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 08:16:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We winning and good crowd and good atmosphere.  This gives us new topic to bitch about.  Bitching and moaning never runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Mako

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 08:48:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We winning and good crowd and good atmosphere.  This gives us new topic to bitch about.  Bitching and moaning never runs out.

Facts.  It never ceases to amaze me at how people can find a way to complain about literally anything and everything.  Their heads would pop if they had to go an entire day without complaining about something.
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, ru4mu2, pembrook burrows III, wlf

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 08:53:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do students not show their ID to get in any more?

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 08:53:32 AM »

Offline VA Herd Fan

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 09:04:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You realize that students miss out on tickets at all the big schools correct?

This is all new, give the AD some time to figure things out. This is a GREAT problem to have.
    US News shows enrollment at 11,125. If that's accurate, we would be turning away students even if all tarps were removed and only students could attend.
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/marshall-university-3815
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.  Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 09:15:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good crowd tonight. Might not have been into it as much as Thursday night. Good to see the students come out for a second straight game. Just wish the pep band would play more. Not impressed at all with the music selection of our DJ. Needs a little more variety. Last two games have shown what a compact crowd can sound like. One thing I noticed as I came in was people being turned away wanting to buy a ticket to the game. Since we've known since Wednesday or Thursday that the game tonight was sold out, a section of bleachers needed to be opened up. Hate turning fans away. I do know that there were a lot of seats unoccupied in the upper level, so those people did not show up.

More Variety? How Much more Variety do you want out of the DJ? At one point last night in a 5-minute stretch he played Garth Brooks, Cyndi Lauper, and T-Pain. That's pretty varied, what I'd like is for him to play something from the last decade for the sake of the students who come to the game (aside from certain stadium classics, Thunderstruck, etc. we should be playing music from the 80s to early 00s). I'd also like to see him stop trampling Let's Go Herd and We Are Marshall chants with any music.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really liked the YMCA and Macarena songs. It seemed like everyone was getting into that especially the student, woman and kids. Thursdays atmosphere was tremendous and Saturdays was good. But I think ODU stage the excitement down a little because of their style of play. But imo both days were a success all the way around.

Offline Big City

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 10:05:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

My popcorn was stale
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, goherd73, parshall2marshall, svherd, whf, herdfan129

Offline wlf

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 11:06:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was tough getting a ticket as a student in the early 70s, you had your work cut out.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 11:30:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My popcorn was stale

QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

Offline MUonium

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 11:38:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i wonder how and when the decision would be made to remove at least one tarp? 
    if turning away people becomes more than a few, that won't be good. 
    fwiw, you can barely see the tarps on TV, although i know the point is to consolidate bodies to create a tighter, more intense enviro

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 11:43:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • More Variety? How Much more Variety do you want out of the DJ? At one point last night in a 5-minute stretch he played Garth Brooks, Cyndi Lauper, and T-Pain. That's pretty varied, what I'd like is for him to play something from the last decade for the sake of the students who come to the game (aside from certain stadium classics, Thunderstruck, etc. we should be playing music from the 80s to early 00s). I'd also like to see him stop trampling Let's Go Herd and We Are Marshall chants with any music.
    It was a remake...not Garth and on Thursday night he played Country Roads, but a goofy version and not John Denver. The original tracts do sound much better than remakes.

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2023, 11:46:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My popcorn was stale
    They have gone from using the large tubs to smaller bags the last couple of games for popcorn, but still charge the same $4. A lot less product for the same money.

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2023, 11:48:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i wonder how and when the decision would be made to remove at least one tarp? 
    if turning away people becomes more than a few, that won't be good. 
    fwiw, you can barely see the tarps on TV, although i know the point is to consolidate bodies to create a tighter, more intense enviro
    I've wondered if Spears looked at the bleachers with no handrails and thought what I have thought for years. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Especially with the sale of alcohol.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, Collis P

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2023, 11:48:41 AM »

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #22 on: January 15, 2023, 12:31:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are in no position to turn students away. We have been begging students to come to football and basketball and now we are turning them away when they want to come.  It is bad we have a very small area for students now.  We need all we can get there and in better seats than just where they are.

I get it why we closed off the bleacher seats.  For one I don?t think it is safe without handrails.  That can easily be fixed. 

By not opening those seats up we are losing money on each ticket not sold when demand warrants it.  It isn?t like we closed off sections and increased ticket prices.  We need sustained success for a few years in a row to create demand where we can turn people away. 

I thought the crowd that was there looked good on TV.  The picture was clear annd looked great.  However Our TV production needs some work though nothing major.  There needs to be a camera under the basket in front of Marshall?s bench that is handled by an actual person not attached to the basket.  On the scoreboard in the screen the Possession P is missing so it is hard to tell who has possession.  I know it is possible because all ESPN+ productions have Jr.  The last thing needed is microphones that can pick up the crowd noise better.  Other than those three things, our production is pretty good.

Glad to see the team win another one.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline MU93

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2023, 02:12:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Isn?t the student section the entire corner section of the cam, lower and upper bowl, including the floor bleachers at the end of court?   They just switched corners this year I thought, but same size it?s always been.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2023, 03:15:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've wondered if Spears looked at the bleachers with no handrails and thought what I have thought for years. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Especially with the sale of alcohol.

My seats are in the upper bowl. Have been for 15 years. As my knees get more cranky, it is harder to go up and down those steps without a handrail. Fortunately, my seats are not that high up. During the covid season when we were placed all over the arena because of social distancing, I had to sit in the upper bleachers. I felt really uncomfortable coming down the steps.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2023, 03:15:52 PM »