Author Topic: What we know after ODU  (Read 1399 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

Re: What we know after ODU
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2023, 03:16:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just a little bit before my time, but Hal Greer turned out to be the best player from MU in the NBA. He made the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history list. Another WV player Jerry West also made the list, not bad for a small state like West Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Greatest_Players_in_NBA_History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Greer

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Rockin Herd Fan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2023, 03:16:27 PM »

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2023, 04:05:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pretty remarkable for somebody who can't recruit.

And even more temarkable for someone who does not develop his players.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, goherd24, herdorbust2

Offline Herd2believe

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2023, 05:50:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great historical discussion. Love it and MUBB. I?ve said before, Greer is a peculiar situation. I researched as he was before my time a little. But he wasn?t even best player on his own teams, yet a top 50 alltime NBA. Loved Lee/MD/ Noll team. NCAA tourney win is the highlight of my fandom.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2023, 06:04:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are correct Herdorbust, and I?m not suggesting anything different. I?m really trying to point out that any argument about Kinsey could be applicable to Jon or really to anyone. Very hard to compare players from different teams, conferences and eras.  I always like to imagine how Bunny Gibson would have scored playing in the 3 point era.

Put Danny's teammate, George Stone into that category too, 80.  Guys who were ineligible to play their freshman year, so their varsity careers were essentially THREE years.  And in Danny/Stone's era, the regular season schedules were "capped" at 24 games, not the potential 31 today.  No 3-pt. line, 3 seasons of play, and less games in those 3 years.  No way valid comparisons can be made given the changes in College Basketball the last 50 to 60 years.  Another Herd player of that era hurt by the lack of a 3-point line was Randy Noll, the long-range shooter who transferred in from UK, and played with Mike D., Russell Lee, etc.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2023, 06:19:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another thing, E-Man, that a lot of people today may not realize about Russell Lee is that although he was only 6'5", he quite often played the FIVE/Pivot position for the HERD during his career.  So damn quick, active, etc. for his size, with a variety of moves, shots, both inside and out, that larger, slower big men of that time just couldn't cope with Russell's Athletic arsenal!!

One other thing about him was that he absolutely had one of the TOP 2 or 3 hottest cars on MU's campus:  a sleek, speedy Trans-Am (or perhaps Firebird), IIRC that he used to "zip" around Huntington in!  Lee somehow managed his own "NIL" deal with some benevolent HERD supporters decades before such arrangements became "vogue"!!  ;D

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2023, 06:28:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd say another past great being left out of scoring rank due to the not existing 3 point line at the time is Bunny Gibson.  He'd shot from WAY out and make them.

Offline Buffalo Bop

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman, The E-Man, herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Man, it's hard for anyone to not root for Kinsey. He is as good a person as you could imagine. I hope he continues to kill it and gets his chance in the NBA.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, bighat, The E-Man, Herd2believe, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »