Author Topic: What we know after ODU  (Read 1396 times)

Offline herdfan129

Re: What we know after ODU
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2023, 02:13:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Every time Kinsey plays, you're seeing one of the top 3 scorers in program history. Amazing.

Not taking away from Kinsey cause he is a special player and one of my all time favorites?. But he is also climbing the statistical leaderboards during an unprecedented 5th season.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, Herd2believe

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2023, 02:13:02 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2023, 10:49:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not taking away from Kinsey cause he is a special player and one of my all time favorites?. But he is also climbing the statistical leaderboards during an unprecedented 5th season.

Correct, but also have to remember that he had 2 seasons cut short by covid, one about 12 games short and the other maybe 2-3 in the cusa tourney. So he is legitimately still a top 5 all time scorer here anyway you slice it. I remember being laughed at when i said that about him a couple years ago, that he would finish top 5. Said that around the same time that I told everybody that we would take a step back after losing 2 top 5 scorers in elmore and burks, and a solid watson, getting told how wrong i was, and we ended up.... taking a step back. Brings back the memories and stories of how Bennett was gonna be baby shaq haha
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:59:49 PM by goherd24 »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2023, 11:01:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Correct, but also have to remember that he had 2 seasons cut short by covid, one about 12 games short and the other maybe 2-3 in the cusa tourney. So he is legitimately still a top 5 all time scorer here anyway you slice it. I remember being laughed at when i said that about him a couple years ago, that he would finish top 5. Said that around the same time that I told everybody that we would take a step back after losing 2 top 5 scorers in elmore and burks, and a solid watson, getting told how wrong i was, and we ended up.... taking a step back.

And if Andrew comes back next year he will probably go over 2000 points and fifth place all time. That would be 4 of the top 7 scorers all time playing for Danny.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2023, 11:47:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And if Andrew comes back next year he will probably go over 2000 points and fifth place all time. That would be 4 of the top 7 scorers all time playing for Danny.

Pretty remarkable for somebody who can't recruit.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, herdorbust2

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2023, 12:39:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Correct, but also have to remember that he had 2 seasons cut short by covid, one about 12 games short and the other maybe 2-3 in the cusa tourney. So he is legitimately still a top 5 all time scorer here anyway you slice it. I remember being laughed at when i said that about him a couple years ago, that he would finish top 5. Said that around the same time that I told everybody that we would take a step back after losing 2 top 5 scorers in elmore and burks, and a solid watson, getting told how wrong i was, and we ended up.... taking a step back. Brings back the memories and stories of how Bennett was gonna be baby shaq haha

I guess I didn?t realize that it effected two seasons. I only remember the CUSA tourney being effected.

BTW, I believe you, just didn?t remember that when I made the post. Guess that adds some better context to the situation.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Online Luke80

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2023, 07:52:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kinsey has played 141 games, Elmore 133, Skip played 125 and Taft played 107. Taft also did not get starter minutes his Freshman year. Had John Taft gotten 20 more games we probably would not have anything to talk about.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, Flat Tire 2, luckytoes99, herdfan129

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2023, 08:37:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kinsey has played 141 games, Elmore 133, Skip played 125 and Taft played 107. Taft also did not get starter minutes his Freshman year. Had John Taft gotten 20 more games we probably would not have anything to talk about.

Taft was a monster of a player. If we are talking about what a kid averaged per game then taft hands down. But Jon and Kinsey will go down as Marshall's all time leading scorers no matter how many games they played.

The following users thanked this post: Herd2believe

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2023, 09:15:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Kinsey doesn't pass Taft without the extra year. However, Kinsey crossed the 2k scoring mark in game 129. So, had he not had the shortened season in 2020-2021 where we only played 22 games instead of the normal (31-34 games) he would have crossed the 2k mark in 4 seasons. So, his passing Taft may need an asterisk but being a 2000-point scorer which is still remarkable was legitimate.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online Luke80

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2023, 09:32:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are correct Herdorbust, and I?m not suggesting anything different. I?m really trying to point out that any argument about Kinsey could be applicable to Jon or really to anyone. Very hard to compare players from different teams, conferences and eras.  I always like to imagine how Bunny Gibson would have scored playing in the 3 point era.

The following users thanked this post: pembrook burrows III, wlf

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2023, 09:42:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with what others are saying. But the all time scoring list is just that. It's how many points you scored in a Marshall uniform. Heck we could argue Russell Lee was the best. He played 3 years and is number #7. Kinsey and Jon will be the all time scorers in Marshall history plain and simple. Now it would be an interesting list for highest average points per game in Marshall history.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, wlf

Online Luke80

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2023, 10:18:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Russell Lee 23.9 ppg, George Stone 22.4 and Taft 21.8. By the time he is done Kinsey will have played twice the number of games as Lee and George. 

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2023, 10:21:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Russell Lee 23.9 ppg, George Stone 22.4 and Taft 21.8. By the time he is done Kinsey will have played twice the number of games as Lee and George.

And they were better per average per game for their career. But Should Kinsey or Jon not be recognized for scoring the most points in a Marshall uniform? It's All Time Leading Scorer. Not best average per game.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2023, 10:21:34 AM »

Online Luke80

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2023, 10:29:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We?re not arguing!  You asked a question and I answered you.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdfan129

Offline Herd72

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2023, 10:31:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One also wonders how many points Bunny Gibson could have had if there were a three point line.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #39 on: January 16, 2023, 10:40:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The best Marshall player I've seen in my lifetime is Jon Elmore

Straight killer

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: Herd2believe

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2023, 10:47:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Straight killer

Go Herd!

That would be tough. They don't get much better than Skip and Taft. But Jon is right there.

Online bighat

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2023, 10:51:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • George Stone was the absolute best shooter we ever had.  Quick shot like Andrew Taylor.  Bunny Gibson had to set up to shoot.

Online elginherd

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2023, 10:55:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • One also wonders how many points Bunny Gibson could have had if there were a three point line.

The same should said about George Stone.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2023, 11:30:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jon is our legitimate scoring leader. Kinsey is a legit top 5, and he may end up #1 or #2 but anything after making up the covid games missed is an asterisk, to be fair.

I mean imagine a guy like Loop, getting 12 years, he would be #1, but far from the best lol.

I don't mind a bit for him being recognized for it though. He is a great kid and playing his heart out for us and is playing his best basketball. It's a privilege to see him play.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2023, 11:51:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Straight killer

Go Herd!

Then you haven't seen Russell Lee, he's hands down the best player ever at Marshall. Lee was a unanimous first team All American and a first round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks. Until a Marshall player be named as a first teamer and be drafted high in the NBA, Russell Lee will remain as Marshall's best ever!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, sardistim, horsrman, wlf

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #45 on: January 16, 2023, 11:55:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then you haven't seen Russell Lee, he's hands down the best player ever at Marshall. Lee was a unanimous first team All American and a first round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks. Until a Marshall player be named as a first teamer and be drafted high in the NBA, Russell Lee will remain as Marshall's best ever!

You are correct amigo, before my time lol

That's why I said with my eyes. I never saw the greats from the 70s or Hal Greer

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Herd2believe

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2023, 12:02:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Straight killer

Go Herd!
    Can?t forget that Elmore is all time assist leader also. Plus only NCAA tourney win.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2023, 12:02:50 PM »

Offline HerdFan1114

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2023, 12:37:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then you haven't seen Russell Lee, he's hands down the best player ever at Marshall. Lee was a unanimous first team All American and a first round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks. Until a Marshall player be named as a first teamer and be drafted high in the NBA, Russell Lee will remain as Marshall's best ever!

I used to go to those games when one of my parents couldn't go.  Lee was great to watch!

The following users thanked this post: wlf, The E-Man

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2023, 01:34:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Russel Lee was absolutely the best player ever at Marshall!

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, wlf

Offline wlf

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Worth saying again. We saw it and them since. DD's and MD's teams were also the most successful nationally, even though they didn't win an NCAA game.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »