Author Topic: Dantoni  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Stripeshrt

Dantoni
« on: January 15, 2023, 11:10:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really thought Danny earned his money last nite. Jeff Jones is a good coach and he had a game plan that worked for a half. When Danny started switching the defenses and the rotations, Jones couldnt counter. ODU is a good squad, defensively took Micha out of the offense, exploited our weak perimeter defense (which remains deficient) and puts pressure on the inside, good lord how many did they get in the paint! FT, FT, FT's ! Call Jimmy Clayton for goodness sakes, Hes 2 blocks away. If he was good enough to work with Jordan and Pippen, hes good enough to fix MU's problem.

Personally I thought it was a good win in the vein that we fought through some adversity, Didnt have our 'A" game yet we still held serve on our court. Nice job guys.

HerdFans.com

Dantoni
    « on: January 15, 2023, 11:10:03 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Dantoni
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 12:05:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's odd that Oak is shooting in the 40s for FTs. He was a decent FT shooter in HS.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 12:37:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We do have some problem areas as any team does. But I believe Danny has recruited some higher basketball IQ players which help make up for some of those deficiencies. Guys like Handlogten and Conner really do a good job in half-court man of trapping opposing players at the right time especially in the corner. Any coach can change defenses. But Danny has his team well-schooled and in the right position in no matter what defense we switch to. That isn't easy especially when you are mixing freshmen in there. I like the flow of the offense. When we get out in transition, our guys know what to do and there is generally a quick open look coming down the floor within 8 to 10 seconds if not sooner. We also handle late in the possession strategy very well. Our guys know what to do when Taylor or Kinsey have the ball late in the shot clock.

There is just a totally different feel to this team this year. I think the freshmen have made a huge impact on this. Credit goes to Danny and his staff for pulling in some guys that have a high basketball IQ. As I said in a post last night, 365 days ago we lost at home to Rice to go to 0-4 in the conference. I honestly felt at that time that we had no look that would make me believe we would recover. This team feels totally opposite of that. Even when we have had losses this season, I feel the staff and players will rectify the situation going into the next game.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, pembrook burrows III, The E-Man, overherd1, MicDrass1

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 12:52:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We do have some problem areas as any team does. But I believe Danny has recruited some higher basketball IQ players which help make up for some of those deficiencies. Guys like Handlogten and Conner really do a good job in half-court man of trapping opposing players at the right time especially in the corner. Any coach can change defenses. But Danny has his team well-schooled and in the right position in no matter what defense we switch to. That isn't easy especially when you are mixing freshmen in there. I like the flow of the offense. When we get out in transition, our guys know what to do and there is generally a quick open look coming down the floor within 8 to 10 seconds if not sooner. We also handle late in the possession strategy very well. Our guys know what to do when Taylor or Kinsey have the ball late in the shot clock.

There is just a totally different feel to this team this year. I think the freshmen have made a huge impact on this. Credit goes to Danny and his staff for pulling in some guys that have a high basketball IQ. As I said in a post last night, 365 days ago we lost at home to Rice to go to 0-4 in the conference. I honestly felt at that time that we had no look that would make me believe we would recover. This team feels totally opposite of that. Even when we have had losses this season, I feel the staff and players will rectify the situation going into the next game.

Great post. I have no idea what some of these people think sometimes. They have no idea what they are talking about. Some complaining that they don't see anything in Fricks or Conner isn't doing anything. It's not just about the points but who they help run the system. It's how as you said they give you length and IQ on trapping or closing out on the 3 defense. It's that extra little pass. It's HANDS and rebounding. It's just a lot of little things that don't show up on the scoreboard. They are both well ahead of Peneva at this point. Also they realize this is mainly Taveion and Andrews team. Just like Taveon knew it was Jon and CJ team at the time. This team looks and feels nothing like last years team. And the main reason is the supporting cast of the 3 freshman and Curfman instead of the supporting class of last year that is sitting the bench. All 3 of those freshman will become the taverns, Andrew type go to guys when it's their turn.

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 12:53:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's odd that Oak is shooting in the 40s for FTs. He was a decent FT shooter in HS.

he was even a 68% FT shooter his 1st 2 yrs!  really bizarre.  we're just not utilizing him well, letting him play to his strengths.  i believe his or danny's obsession with him becoming some sort of 3-pt marksman has really messed with his game.  why can it not be ok to have 1 guy on the floor that doesn't have the green light from 3?  is that so terrible, that we only have 4 guys on the floor sometimes that can knock down a 3?  he's basically getting the same mins per game as he did last yr, his 3-pt is down 22% (to 9%), his FT is down 23% (to 48%), he's grabbing 2 LESS rebs per game, he's only blocking half as many shots, & his overall scoring is down 2.5 ppg.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 01:37:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• he was even a 68% FT shooter his 1st 2 yrs!  really bizarre.  we're just not utilizing him well, letting him play to his strengths.  i believe his or danny's obsession with him becoming some sort of 3-pt marksman has really messed with his game.  why can it not be ok to have 1 guy on the floor that doesn't have the green light from 3?  is that so terrible, that we only have 4 guys on the floor sometimes that can knock down a 3?  he's basically getting the same mins per game as he did last yr, his 3-pt is down 22% (to 9%), his FT is down 23% (to 48%), he's grabbing 2 LESS rebs per game, he's only blocking half as many shots, & his overall scoring is down 2.5 ppg.

Well blocks and rebounds come down to him playing the 4 and not the 5. Do you want zhandlogtin to sit so Oak can play the 5? And you think those things is why his FTs are bad? Come on!!! FTs are the most basic shot in basketball. There are people that could shoot 80% from the foul line and couldn't play the game a lick. FTs are all on Oak period. He needs to put in more work and get mentally tough and stop letting it mess with his head.

Offline Collis P

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 02:53:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my opinion (no expert) -  His mechanics are off a little.  He shoots more with his arm and doesn't bend his legs enough...
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 03:07:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In my opinion (no expert) -  His mechanics are off a little.  He shoots more with his arm and doesn't bend his legs enough...
    I agree. I've noticed most of his free throws are too hard. Bending the legs a little more could help with the shots being too long.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 03:19:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    also I've watched him shoot FTs up close. If you notice he doesn't get much rotation on the ball. His release looks good but he is shooting from the middle of his fingers and not realeasing from his fingerTIPs. So at the very end of his release, he pushes from his mid fingers and not letting it come completely off his tips thus causing a partial knuckle ball instead of full rotation. I really hope at some point he can get the Fats and bunnies corrected. If he can then he will be unbelievable.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 03:37:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Excellent point about using the fingertips. I've mentioned to my wife more than once that OAK did not have any spin on the ball.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline MUther

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 06:56:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• he was even a 68% FT shooter his 1st 2 yrs!  really bizarre.  we're just not utilizing him well, letting him play to his strengths.  i believe his or danny's obsession with him becoming some sort of 3-pt marksman has really messed with his game.  why can it not be ok to have 1 guy on the floor that doesn't have the green light from 3?  is that so terrible, that we only have 4 guys on the floor sometimes that can knock down a 3?  he's basically getting the same mins per game as he did last yr, his 3-pt is down 22% (to 9%), his FT is down 23% (to 48%), he's grabbing 2 LESS rebs per game, he's only blocking half as many shots, & his overall scoring is down 2.5 ppg.

Give him a yellow light.  He shoots when he's open AND we have rebounders in play.  Otherwise its just a turnover.

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 07:41:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone may have suggested Clayton in the past...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 07:41:44 PM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 07:59:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Too tight up top from
    Weightroom. 

Need some flexibility it looks like. 

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 09:34:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach Clayton texted me that he is working with TK to iron out a problem with his stroke. Get Obinna and Micah to him!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, mu79grad

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 10:14:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Coach Clayton texted me that he is working with TK to iron out a problem with his stroke. Get Obinna and Micah to him!
    Jimmy might be able to get him straightened out. I do like how Jimmy teaches free throw fundamentals. I've personally watched him shoot and make 100 in a row without a miss. It was crazy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, Buffalo Bop, chris88

Offline goherd24

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 10:34:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really thought Danny earned his money last nite. Jeff Jones is a good coach and he had a game plan that worked for a half. When Danny started switching the defenses and the rotations, Jones couldnt counter. ODU is a good squad, defensively took Micha out of the offense, exploited our weak perimeter defense (which remains deficient) and puts pressure on the inside, good lord how many did they get in the paint! FT, FT, FT's ! Call Jimmy Clayton for goodness sakes, Hes 2 blocks away. If he was good enough to work with Jordan and Pippen, hes good enough to fix MU's problem.

Personally I thought it was a good win in the vein that we fought through some adversity, Didnt have our 'A" game yet we still held serve on our court. Nice job guys.

Agree with most everything. We aren't really that bad at defending the perimeter. We are 100th in opponents 3 point field goal %.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 10:49:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree with most everything. We aren't really that bad at defending the perimeter. We are 100th in opponents 3 point field goal %.

If we lose a game it's because we didn't show up ready to play. If we come totally ready to play the next 12 games we will be 12-0. There are some very solid teams left especially in the road. But we can only beat ourselves if we lose.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, goherd24

Offline goherd24

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 11:03:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we lose a game it's because we didn't show up ready to play. If we come totally ready to play the next 12 games we will be 12-0. There are some very solid teams left especially in the road. But we can only beat ourselves if we lose.

Said the same thing since before sb play. This team only loses if they beat themselves. Period. That being said, we will probably lose 1-2 more conference games on the road probably. But i highly doubt it's this road trip. We will throttle Texas State and Ark State

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 11:28:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jimmy might be able to get him straightened out. I do like how Jimmy teaches free throw fundamentals. I've personally watched him shoot and make 100 in a row without a miss. It was crazy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    One of the best pure shooters I have ever seen bar none.

Offline Stripeshrt

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 11:33:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GH24, agree with your comment, I was referring to the "bolero D" letting the offensive player to drive around and to the paint.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2023, 11:45:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GH24, agree with your comment, I was referring to the "bolero D" letting the offensive player to drive around and to the paint.

Agree with that.we have trouble when they take it right at the rim, Micah, i believe, is a little timid trying to stay out of foul trouble when guys drive hard at him.

Online parshall2marshall

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 03:42:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OAK's FT problems are mental. He's already missed before the official hands him the ball, IMHO. Different story from the floor, there is no time to think about it, one has to be ready to pull the trigger.

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 03:42:10 AM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2023, 11:32:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OAK's FT problems are mental. He's already missed before the official hands him the ball, IMHO. Different story from the floor, there is no time to think about it, one has to be ready to pull the trigger.

He also dropped from a 32% 3 shooter to a 9%. It's more than mental.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline HerdFan1114

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 12:40:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If OAK is too tight from weight training, they need to include Yoga and Pilates into his training.

Offline wlf

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 01:21:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Exactly. Even the Herd commentators have commented about the lack of keeping your man in front of you. It's been this way for years. I don't get it, but with Micah in there it's helped, even though it accumulates his fouls. Teams continually exploit this weakness.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 01:21:21 PM »