Author Topic: We have our center  (Read 2400 times)

Offline pembrook burrows III

Re: We have our center
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2023, 08:41:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He visited Denver and WKU before committing to the Herd.

He has virtually the same stats scoring and rebounding as Obinna, yet played 20% fewer minutes in one of the slowest tempo offenses in country (#342) that averaged 9 fewer possessions per game than Herd.

He made more free throws than anyone on our team except Taveion, so he will scrap and bang. Shot 75% at the line.

He has a good offensive rebounding metric, though Handlogten was excellent in this category.

Combined head-to-head with Handlogten in 2 games this year: Handy 11 pts/11 rebs; Martin 26 points/9 rebs.

He is an established starter in the Sun Belt Conference - two year starter for Texas St. Started on the Bobcats? 2022 league championship team.

Made All-Academic Sun Belt last 2 years

He has improved his production every year, and still has 2 years to play.

Of the 900+ players left in the portal, Torvik rates him between #90 and #100, SBUnfurled at #103, and EvanMiya at #226.

Martin will likely be more of a role player than a superstar, but I am with those who consider him a solid addition. Welcome aboard.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Luke80, svherd, jdonaccbus, herd33, thunderingon, herdcase, horsrman, overherd1, Refiners, herd247

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2023, 08:41:56 PM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2023, 08:43:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/ScoopsHerd/status/1650988738128879616?s=20

I did a quick check on two WKU boards and I didn't see his name mentioned. I will do a thorough search tomorrow to see if WKU had any real interest in him.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 08:45:29 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2023, 08:58:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did a quick check on two WKU boards and I didn't see his name mentioned. I will do a thorough search tomorrow to see if WKU had any real interest in him.
    He visited WKU about 1 week before visiting here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2023, 09:01:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He visited WKU about 1 week before visiting here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How did he do in his tryout? Was he offered a scholarship?

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2023, 09:08:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: herdcase

Offline herd247

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2023, 09:12:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He visited Denver and WKU before committing to the Herd.

He has virtually the same stats scoring and rebounding as Obinna, yet played 20% fewer minutes in one of the slowest tempo offenses in country (#342) that averaged 9 fewer possessions per game than Herd.

He made more free throws than anyone on our team except Taveion, so he will scrap and bang. Shot 75% at the line.

He has a good offensive rebounding metric, though Handlogten was excellent in this category.

Combined head-to-head with Handlogten in 2 games this year: Handy 11 pts/11 rebs; Martin 26 points/9 rebs.

He is an established starter in the Sun Belt Conference - two year starter for Texas St. Started on the Bobcats? 2022 league championship team.

Made All-Academic Sun Belt last 2 years

He has improved his production every year, and still has 2 years to play.

Of the 900+ players left in the portal, Torvik rates him between #90 and #100, SBUnfurled at #103, and EvanMiya at #226.

Martin will likely be more of a role player than a superstar, but I am with those who consider him a solid addition. Welcome aboard.

Thank you for doing the research, love to see the stat breakdown.  His FT % and rebounding percentages per possession are impressive, as were his H2H matches versus Marshall.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2023, 09:17:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thank you for doing the research, love to see the stat breakdown.  His FT % and rebounding percentages per possession are impressive, as were his H2H matches versus Marshall.

You have to remember our D makes a lot of people look good and career highs.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2023, 09:24:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline MUonium

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2023, 11:09:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • the "fit" and DD's "ideology" are a bit overhyped.  coaches and players can change but maybe just not fast enough.  if players have good athleticism/decent fundamental skills and have half a brain, they can adapt. 

to say that Martin's games against us were somehow not real is nonsense. 

Offline goherd24

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2023, 11:13:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't know the name but once i saw his picture i remember thinking he was a stud in the games he played against us. Good pick up. I like it.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2023, 04:48:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In talking to two different players they both said that Martin and Crawford fit into the fabric of our team really well. There was a great camaraderie early on with both.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: DallasGreen, herdfan93, thunderingon, herdcase, pembrook burrows III, Collis P, Refiners

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2023, 08:23:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/HerdNation/status/1650960719649599516?s=20

Really good interview with Crawford who was recruited by Corny before he signed with Indiana State.

The following users thanked this post: herd247

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2023, 08:23:26 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2023, 08:59:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2023, 09:17:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a definite improvement for the Herd as we get someone with experience and familiar with the SBC. His numbers need to improve but he adds depth. Still need to find an established wing that can come in and contribute right away. 

A starting 5 of

Andy
    Kurfman
    Transfer Wing
    Martin
    OAK

with Conner , Fricks, potentially Crawford, and who knows what else could be a competitive team in the conference

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2023, 09:41:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a definite improvement for the Herd as we get someone with experience and familiar with the SBC. His numbers need to improve but he adds depth. Still need to find an established wing that can come in and contribute right away. 

A starting 5 of

Andy
    Kurfman
    Transfer Wing
    Martin
    OAK

with Conner , Fricks, potentially Crawford, and who knows what else could be a competitive team in the conference

Unless another player leaves between now and May 11th, then your slot in the starting five as a 'transfer wing' won't happen. I am pretty sure we will have Conner in that slot.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, horsrman

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2023, 10:20:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/HerdNation/status/1650960719649599516?s=20

Really good interview with Crawford who was recruited by Corny before he signed with Indiana State.

Does this reflect a change in DD's previously stated policy of once you say no to Marshall, you're history with Marshall?

Sounds like it.

Offline wlf

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2023, 12:05:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Still have a sour stomach about Handlogden's transfer. I doubt Martin was told that he was  told he would most likely be a role player, but he's signed now.

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2023, 01:01:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After looking at the Handlogten debacle and looking at Martin?s tape.  I feel that Martin is the much better offensive player.  He knows what he?s going to do when he gets the ball.  Micha was so timid around the rim and Martin will take it to your face.  I like that about him.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdcase

Offline MCA23

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2023, 01:11:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan must have a soft spot for end of the bench players.  He won't get rid of ours and goes out and bring in someone else's.

The following users thanked this post: herd1990

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2023, 01:23:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan must have a soft spot for end of the bench players.  He won't get rid of ours and goes out and bring in someone else's.

I'm not sold he's gonna be everything we need, but where is this narrative coming from?

He started most if not all of their games. Appears to have started most of their games 2 seasons ago when they won the SBC regular season title.

He averaged more points per game than Micah while playing 4 fewer minutes per game. He got 5 offensive rebounds against us in San Marcos while Micah only got 4 rebounds total. Outscored Micah 26 to 11 in our two games. Better free throw shooter than Kinsey for the entire season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129, herd247

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2023, 01:36:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Martin will be the better offensive player but not as good defensively, mainly because he isn't 7'1. I think he will be a decent pick up for us. But as usually Danny is one to 2 players short again from having the team he needs. He needed to get at least one more guard that can score and defend. God forbid if Taylor would go down. Not to mention a really good back up for rotation to keep fresh. And please don't say Nutter or Conner at the point. That is insanity talk.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, whf

Offline whf

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2023, 02:54:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Martin will be the better offensive player but not as good defensively, mainly because he isn't 7'1. I think he will be a decent pick up for us. But as usually Danny is one to 2 players short again from having the team he needs. He needed to get at least one more guard that can score and defend. God forbid if Taylor would go down. Not to mention a really good back up for rotation to keep fresh. And please don't say Nutter or Conner at the point. That is insanity talk.
    I'm thinking that we all need to see who shows up for the first sanctioned practice in 2023; we just might be surprised. DD works for a different dog than he did 2 years ago, and I'm pretty sure this one barks when things aren't going well.  Declining isn't part of his plan, and having folks on his team who aren't committed to growing isn't either.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2023, 02:54:46 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2023, 03:11:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys, Danny has got the guys he wanted or else felt satisfied they would fit our system, and needs, for 2023-24.  Roster apparently set for the upcoming season, absent another possible defection or departure and perhaps another addition (Tanner Holden?).   So whatever occurs in 2023-2424 it is all on Danny, Corny, Cline, et. al.  Time to end the second guessing and get behind the team for the season ahead!!  GO HERD!!!!!!!!!!!

On another note, HERD Zone has shown the info about the upcoming OOC tourney in the Caribbean.  8 team field, HERD should play 3 games.  Only 7 teams shown in the field with Wake Forest being the only Major team indicated.  Apparently, tourney organizers still shopping for an 8th, hopefully a major, team.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline MUonium

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2023, 04:51:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On another note, HERD Zone has shown the info about the upcoming OOC tourney in the Caribbean.  8 team field, HERD should play 3 games.  Only 7 teams shown in the field with Wake Forest being the only Major team indicated.  Apparently, tourney organizers still shopping for an 8th, hopefully a major, team.

Here are the eight as of April 24th
    Drake, Loyola Marymount, Marshall, Oakland, Ole Miss, Stephen F. Austin, Utah State and Wake Forest

https://caymanislandsclassic.com/news/2023/4/21/mens-basketball-field-of-eight-teams-announced-for-2023-mens-cayman-islands-classic.aspx

Offline coalherd

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2023, 07:10:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here are the eight as of April 24th
    Drake, Loyola Marymount, Marshall, Oakland, Ole Miss, Stephen F. Austin, Utah State and Wake Forest

https://caymanislandsclassic.com/news/2023/4/21/mens-basketball-field-of-eight-teams-announced-for-2023-mens-cayman-islands-classic.aspx

Thanks.  Just another example, apparently, where Herd Zone is either behind, or wrong, in the info it puts out.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2023, 07:10:24 PM »