Author Topic: New Portal Player for Women's Hoops  (Read 1195 times)

Online jdonaccbus

New Portal Player for Women's Hoops
« on: May 10, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tamia Lawhorne from George Mason.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scherd, herdfan93, parshall2marshall, svherd, HerdEcon, Collis P, chris88, scope58

HerdFans.com

New Portal Player for Women's Hoops
    « on: May 10, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »

Offline chris88

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline wasbarryb

Re: New Portal Player for Women's Hoops
    « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 01:26:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hope she'll offer coaching tips to the Men's coach at Marshall.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, scope58, herdorbust2

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 02:52:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Stephens is making more moves in the first few weeks for the womens program than there have been made in the last 10 years

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, HerdEcon, Collis P, herdorbust2

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 03:14:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only took two posts for the obsessed to try to hijack the thread.

Anyway, on topic, WBB has had a lot of portal players over the years. There were 7 on last year's team alone.

I am really excited about the program right now.

The following users thanked this post: herddds, HerdMan84

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 10:51:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am impressed with Stephens energy so far.  Just what I hoped for.  Makes me hope even more that she succeeds.  An energetic coach is refreshing and easy to support. 

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 10:55:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • First time I've ever been interested in woman's basketball. She bring energy to the program and i believe will do big things at Marshall.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 01:23:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ummm, new women's Head Coach and Coach Huff getting it done in the Portal.  Meanwhile, in the Office of the Head Men's Basketball Coach, the "cobwebs" continue to expand and grow bigger daily!!

Offline bighat

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2023, 08:50:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Men's basketball got two portal players.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2023, 09:15:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Yep and nobody to get them the ball. Even if Andy came back, another portal PG should have been the #1 priority.

Online jdonaccbus

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 09:28:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

This thread was for women's hoops news. I didn't want to go here, but I am afraid I must.

We replaced the Conference Player of the Year and a 20 ppg scorer with a transfer from Indiana State that has shown little production in game situations. I am not saying Crawford won't succeed here. I think he can. But he is yet to be proven. With that said, I think Crawford was a good take.

Martin is a good replacement for Handlogten. No complaints.

The problem that many of us had is that we made zero attempt to move non-productive bench players to a lower level of basketball with still an opportunity at a full ride. I would really like to hear the justification to keep players that played in 6 to 8 games this season other than "Dan is loyal and likes these guys". That is a poor justification. Yes, this past season we won 24 games. But the weakness was clearly depth and lack of defenders who could stop dribble penetration. We had a chance once the season ended early in March to work with some of our less productive players and use our contacts with D2/NAIA coaches and move these players. We had a chance to bring in some older players that could rectify some of our problems on the floor. The coach refused to go in this manner. The coach knows he can pull out some excuse cards next season and there will be a contingent that will fully buy into to those flimsy excuses.

In closing, the problem isn't the two portal players that he brought in. The problem is two-fold: (a) the recruiting philosophy of the head coach is passe' in this era and (b) the coach wants to ride into retirement by sleeping well every night knowing he has a couple of bench players that will go to class, love ole' Dan and not get into any trouble.....in turn, we won't take a chance on a transfer with some toughnesses and grit, we won't take a chance on an "inner-city kid" who has a little edge to him, etc. etc. etc. It just appears that all is well if Danny's mindset is okay and not stressed out.

The following users thanked this post: herdtown, Stripeshrt, MUfan08, svherd, herdfifteen, scope58, herdorbust2

Offline chris88

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2023, 09:47:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think someone suggested we use reverse NIL for BB....pay some players to go elsewhere thus opening up scholly's.  Although I am not convinced that some of the players on bench couldn't be significant contributors if given some PT and a specific role.  Who is going to develop getting zero PT? They kept saying Early was a liability but he was probably best defensive guard and had some really good games.  It should be no shock young players are inconsistent but when they never play they have no chance of developing consistency. It's really not the players fault that the HC cannot build a balanced roster vs 8 guys (tall/skinny) with roughly the same skill set and liabilities.

As I said before, I fully expect women's BB to finish higher in overall standings than men's BB or football in year one. Stephens teams at Glenville went to NCAA tourney in all 7 yrs there.  That might be a bridge too far in year one in SB as it is a big jump in competition but it wouldn't shock me either.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, luckytoes99, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2023, 09:47:17 AM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 11:57:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This thread was for women's hoops news. I didn't want to go here, but I am afraid I must.

We replaced the Conference Player of the Year and a 20 ppg scorer with a transfer from Indiana State that has shown little production in game situations. I am not saying Crawford won't succeed here. I think he can. But he is yet to be proven. With that said, I think Crawford was a good take.

Martin is a good replacement for Handlogten. No complaints.

The problem that many of us had is that we made zero attempt to move non-productive bench players to a lower level of basketball with still an opportunity at a full ride. I would really like to hear the justification to keep players that played in 6 to 8 games this season other than "Dan is loyal and likes these guys". That is a poor justification. Yes, this past season we won 24 games. But the weakness was clearly depth and lack of defenders who could stop dribble penetration. We had a chance once the season ended early in March to work with some of our less productive players and use our contacts with D2/NAIA coaches and move these players. We had a chance to bring in some older players that could rectify some of our problems on the floor. The coach refused to go in this manner. The coach knows he can pull out some excuse cards next season and there will be a contingent that will fully buy into to those flimsy excuses.

In closing, the problem isn't the two portal players that he brought in. The problem is two-fold: (a) the recruiting philosophy of the head coach is passe' in this era and (b) the coach wants to ride into retirement by sleeping well every night knowing he has a couple of bench players that will go to class, love ole' Dan and not get into any trouble.....in turn, we won't take a chance on a transfer with some toughnesses and grit, we won't take a chance on an "inner-city kid" who has a little edge to him, etc. etc. etc. It just appears that all is well if Danny's mindset is okay and not stressed out.

Well, right now MU's BASEBALL program is something like 16-32 and 5-20 in SBC play.  Meaning it is going to take more than just a new baseball facility to make that HERD program relevant and competitive in SBC play.  It also means, I hope, that our Head Coach, having been at Ohio State, won't sit on his hands and tolerate very long non-production from some on his squad who are getting scholarship aid.  Lets hope Coach Beals, unlike our basketball "leader", has the STONES to replace some of his deadwood with players who are more competitive and productive!!!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2023, 07:56:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They kept saying Early was a liability but he was probably best defensive guard and had some really good games.
    It was his defense or lack thereof that kept him off the floor. He like Marco had wonderful offensive skills shooting the ball. They both however allow their men to go around them for easy scores at the other end. We wee it at  practice everyday
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: herdtown, usedcars1, horsrman, MUonium

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2023, 08:19:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was his defense or lack thereof that kept him off the floor. He like Marco had wonderful offensive skills shooting the ball. They both however allow their men to go around them for easy scores at the other end. We wee it at  practice everyday
    I know you go to practice and are at all the games, but this just doesn't make sense. Taylor and Curfman allowed the opponent to drive past them all the time during games. For the most part, this has been a problem with the guards D'Antoni has brought to Marshall. It usually meant our bigs would have to leave their man to cover the guy who blew past our guards. This would lead to either an assist by the opponent guard or a foul on our big man. I just can't buy what you said HM.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, svherd, chris88, herdfan129, scope58, herdorbust2

Online svherd

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2023, 09:18:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was his defense or lack thereof that kept him off the floor. He like Marco had wonderful offensive skills shooting the ball. They both however allow their men to go around them for easy scores at the other end. We wee it at  practice everyday

Marco is truly a D2 player. We need to realize that

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, scope58

Offline MUonium

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2023, 09:45:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this player doesn't seem to be a difference maker.  that doesn't mean a new team can't bring the most out of them, whether it be women's or men's transfers.  role or 6 thru 9 players at the least, but we hope they emerge to be more than that.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2023, 10:31:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marco is truly a D2 player. We need to realize that

Some of us realized it the first day.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08

Offline chris88

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 07:01:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this player doesn't seem to be a difference maker.  that doesn't mean a new team can't bring the most out of them, whether it be women's or men's transfers.  role or 6 thru 9 players at the least, but we hope they emerge to be more than that.

Coach knows what she is looking for and this player has had some flashes that show you the potential with some of her better games vs the better competition they played. First glance she is a pretty good outside shooter especially for women's game. Time will tell.

Offline Daherdboy

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 05:09:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From my recollections, Coach Stephens has one assistant coach to hire and one more scholarship to fill.
    Being a big Olympic Sports fan (as if people don't know), I check the MU Women's Basketball twitter account along with Coach Stephens twitter account daily to see if there are any up to the minute additions to her staff or roster. 

Sure would like to see one post player taller than 6' 1" and another assistant with a big time recruiting background.  (One can wish.....can't he?).  😀
    Retired 10 years early to follow Herd sports.
    Those 10 years have been marvelous.

The following users thanked this post: Collis P

HerdFans.com

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 05:09:53 PM »