Author Topic: Andre Sam to The U?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Thundering In MD

Andre Sam to The U?
« on: May 12, 2023, 01:42:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

Andre Sam to The U?
    « on: May 12, 2023, 01:42:30 PM »

Offline CoachMaclid

Re: Andre Sam to The U?
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 01:49:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would be shocked if he didn't land there.  He followed Guidry to Tulane before Guidry bolted for Miami.  This is also a position on need at Miami. 

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 02:33:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another example why the transfer portal should have more rules.  This is his second transfer within just a few months.  How can a coach be expected to build a roster when players can get a degree, any degree, and jump from school to school?  How is a coaching staff to fill the teams needs if the coach doesn't know what those needs are until the season starts?  Injuries can not be helped but allowing a 19 or 20 year old to transfer everytime he does his laundry can be helped.

I understand the need to let players who graduate transfer but the same or similar rules should apply to graduate transfers as undergraduates.  Restrict the number of times a player can transfer during a year or a career.  If a player gets one transfer as an undergraduate and one transfer as a graduate without setting out a year, that should be plenty without extenuating circumstances.   

I'm glad Andre got a degree.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 03:39:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bunch of our players on Twitter were telling him to come back.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, whf, ed swain

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 10:33:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Another example why the transfer portal should have more rules.  This is his second transfer within just a few months.  How can a coach be expected to build a roster when players can get a degree, any degree, and jump from school to school?  How is a coaching staff to fill the teams needs if the coach doesn't know what those needs are until the season starts?  Injuries can not be helped but allowing a 19 or 20 year old to transfer everytime he does his laundry can be helped.

I understand the need to let players who graduate transfer but the same or similar rules should apply to graduate transfers as undergraduates.  Restrict the number of times a player can transfer during a year or a career.  If a player gets one transfer as an undergraduate and one transfer as a graduate without setting out a year, that should be plenty without extenuating circumstances.   

I'm glad Andre got a degree.

He followed a coach with whom he was close to another school, then that coach left.  Is it fair to restrict Andre to Tulane now that he has absolutely no connection to that team/school?  Its a bad situation all around, and the NCAA just makes it worse. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline MUther

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He followed a coach with whom he was close to another school, then that coach left.  Is it fair to restrict Andre to Tulane now that he has absolutely no connection to that team/school?  Its a bad situation all around, and the NCAA just makes it worse.

Agreed.  A coach leaving has always been cause for a release prior to the portal.  It should count as an extenuating circumstance now, mentioned in the above post.  If the reason you transferred moves on then he should be able to move on with it.  Tulane will be fine.  He never played a down for them.  We however lost a guy that was great here and good enough to play for Miami, apparently.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 10:55:45 AM »