Author Topic: So Who Leads MBB In Scoring 23-24  (Read 2810 times)

Offline mubowhunter

So Who Leads MBB In Scoring 23-24
« on: June 09, 2023, 05:44:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I?m going to say Volpe-Curfman-Obinna

HerdFans.com

So Who Leads MBB In Scoring 23-24
    « on: June 09, 2023, 05:44:58 PM »

Online HoPPy785

Re: So Who Leads MBB In Scoring 23-24
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 05:55:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Voyles, Curfman and Conner in no particular order.

Maybe Martin sneaks in there if he thrives in our system.

Offline HerdFan2026

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 06:04:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

20+ PPG
    N/A

15+ PPG
    Voyles
    Curfman

10+ PPG
    Martin
    OAK
    Conner (could end up in the 15+ ppg category too tbh)

5+ PPG
    Fricks
    Crawford
    Mckey

>5 PPG
    Goran
    Marko
    Braun
    Nutter
    Toussaint
    Thieneman

I?ll take it a step further
    Assist leader: Conner
    Rebound leader: OAK
    Steals leader: Voyles
    Blocks Leader: OAK

The Rotation will be
    Voyles-Curfman-Conner-Martin-OAK
    Crawford, Mckey, and Fricks off the bench virtually every game
    Goran will play a large role than last year, but it will still be situationally, he?ll be in and out of the lineup

We had our best defensive team under Dan last year, and I think we?ll improve upon that, and will have a Top 200 defense in terms of PPG next year.
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 06:24:35 PM by HerdFan2026 »

The following users thanked this post: herd247

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 06:50:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 20+ PPG
    N/A

15+ PPG
    Voyles
    Curfman

10+ PPG
    Martin
    OAK

5+ PPG
    Fricks
    Crawford
    Mckey

>5 PPG
    Goran
    Marko
    Braun
    Nutter
    Toussaint
    Thieneman

The Rotation will be
    Goran will play a large role than last year, but it will still be situationally, he?ll be in and out of the lineup

We had our best defensive team under Dan last year, and I think we?ll improve upon that, and will have a Top 200 defense in terms of PPG next year.

Great analysis

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 06:51:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I forgot about Martin

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 07:14:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 20+ PPG
    N/A

15+ PPG
    Voyles
    Curfman

10+ PPG
    Martin
    OAK

5+ PPG
    Fricks
    Crawford
    Mckey

>5 PPG
    Goran
    Marko
    Braun
    Nutter
    Toussaint
    Thieneman

The Rotation will be

I agree with your analysis and rotation. But I don't see a better D at all. And the offense will struggle at times a lot. There is going to be some long dry spells scoring. Kinsey and Andrew had been here for years and was very comfortable doing what they wanted. Imo the key to this team will be Conner. If he takes a massive jump and plays with aggression and leadership this team can be decent because he is the type of guy that can make everyone better and also score. But he has to become that player for this team to have a chance imo.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 07:32:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Impossible to say how all this translates to our W-L record in 23-24 at this point.  Two big variables are still not completed:  the whole regular season schedule AND just how the FINAL ROSTERS look at ALL the schools in the SBC when the fall semester rolls around at said schools.

Offline pembrook burrows III

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Offline coalherd

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 07:48:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/theportalreport/status/1667236221519536128?s=46&t=Jw0NIeUI60K6VzMJm6_hlg

I thought that there was supposedly a "limit" on the number of times a player could transfer and thus, the number of schools a player could play for.  Looks like Brown is on the search for School #4!!  Just another how the Portal "Concept", together with the NIL nonsense, is changing, for the worse, IMO, college athletics!!

Offline HerdFan2026

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 07:55:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with your analysis and rotation. But I don't see a better D at all. And the offense will struggle at times a lot. There is going to be some long dry spells scoring. Kinsey and Andrew had been here for years and was very comfortable doing what they wanted. Imo the key to this team will be Conner. If he takes a massive jump and plays with aggression and leadership this team can be decent because he is the type of guy that can make everyone better and also score. But he has to become that player for this team to have a chance imo.

When it comes to defense, we switch AT out for Volpe (who had 2.0 SPG last year), we do lose Handlogten in terms of rim protection. But this year,  we move OAK, who is already a great shot blocker, to the 5, and we insert Martin, who ranked 8th in the SBC in block percentage (the % of the opposing teams shots blocked by said player while they are on the floor - Micah ranked 3rd and OAK was 5th) at the 4 spot, and I think we?ll be solid, but not improved there. I do think our perimeter D will improve, I expect Conner to improve in this area and I think Crawford will specialize here as well. I also think Voyles will contribute here as well. I think last year?s defensive improvement was more a result of Adam Williams replacing Rigot than anything else, if you watched last year, he?s the most vocal coach with players, it seems he?s always point something out. With the addition of Justin Caldwell on the bench next year, I expect some improvement again.

I agree that Conner will be the key to the season. He, but also OAK and Voyles will decide whether this team ends up with 12 wins or 20. I think the Sun Belt is going to be weaker next year, and even with a maybe less talented team than we had last year, we can still challenge for a Top 4 spot if the right players improve. The upper echelon of SBC teams was mostly complacent this off-season, Ark St and GSU had the best off seasons. JMU brought in a guy who averaged less than 2 PPG at Colorado and a guy who averaged 5/5/1 last year at BC. Louisiana has pretty much just sat on their hands, and USM brought in a guy who averaged less than 2 PPG at Oregon St, and another guy who averaged 3 points a game at UNLV. We might not have had a great off-season, but most SBC teams didn?t this year.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:57:23 PM by HerdFan2026 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 08:23:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought that there was supposedly a "limit" on the number of times a player could transfer and thus, the number of schools a player could play for.  Looks like Brown is on the search for School #4!!  Just another how the Portal "Concept", together with the NIL nonsense, is changing, for the worse, IMO, college athletics!!

So he went from Nevada to Arizona between his freshman to sophomore season. Under old NCAA rules (before portal) he had to sit out that season as an under graduate.
    The portal was instituted, he then went to Arizona to Louisiana and did not have to sit out under the new portal rules (transfer once without sitting out).
    He is now in the portal again as a grad transfer (which he does not have to sit out because he's already graduated).

This is a very unique situation with him.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 08:31:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When it comes to defense, we switch AT out for Volpe (who had 2.0 SPG last year), we do lose Handlogten in terms of rim protection. But this year,  we move OAK, who is already a great shot blocker, to the 5, and we insert Martin, who ranked 8th in the SBC in block percentage (the % of the opposing teams shots blocked by said player while they are on the floor - Micah ranked 3rd and OAK was 5th) at the 4 spot, and I think we?ll be solid, but not improved there. I do think our perimeter D will improve, I expect Conner to improve in this area and I think Crawford will specialize here as well. I also think Voyles will contribute here as well. I think last year?s defensive improvement was more a result of Adam Williams replacing Rigot than anything else, if you watched last year, he?s the most vocal coach with players, it seems he?s always point something out. With the addition of Justin Caldwell on the bench next year, I expect some improvement again.

I agree that Conner will be the key to the season. He, but also OAK and Voyles will decide whether this team ends up with 12 wins or 20. I think the Sun Belt is going to be weaker next year, and even with a maybe less talented team than we had last year, we can still challenge for a Top 4 spot if the right players improve. The upper echelon of SBC teams was mostly complacent this off-season, Ark St and GSU had the best off seasons. JMU brought in a guy who averaged less than 2 PPG at Colorado and a guy who averaged 5/5/1 last year at BC. Louisiana has pretty much just sat on their hands, and USM brought in a guy who averaged less than 2 PPG at Oregon St, and another guy who averaged 3 points a game at UNLV. We might not have had a great off-season, but most SBC teams didn?t this year.

I hope you are right but I hate to expect to win because the conference it's got weaker. Remember it was weaker last year than what CUSA was, especially the top 4-5 teams in each league. Now the SB is expected to be even weaker and if we don't win it this year then we are just falling with our competition. We have no back up guard that can produce, Zero!!! And Conner is NOT a guard but a swing player. We needed another good solid guard to rotate with Voyles and Curfman. I watched a lot of film on Martin the other day and he didn't look good on defense and was getting thrown around quite a bit. But I do think he can help on offense around the basket. But he must not shoot well at all from 3 since he has no stats from there.

We only have 3 three point shooters in the top 7-8 of the rotation. I just don't understand Dannys recruiting when he says his system is predicated on everyone shooting the 3. Is he going to let Martin, Mckey and Toussaint fire away like he does Obinna stating you have to let them shoot? Or will he change the system? And I don't think Adam had anything to do with being a little better on D. I think it mainly had to do with length of Handlogton, Fricks and Conners length. But the second half of the season wasn't nearly as good as the first half imo. But it will be interesting to see how it plays out. If we do well then I'll be presently surprised because I have very little hope of a decent year. A couple more solid portal players could have changed a lot and again Danny failed to open a spot.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 08:31:58 PM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 08:43:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So he went from Nevada to Arizona between his freshman to sophomore season. Under old NCAA rules (before portal) he had to sit out that season as an under graduate.
    The portal was instituted, he then went to Arizona to Louisiana and did not have to sit out under the new portal rules (transfer once without sitting out).
    He is now in the portal again as a grad transfer (which he does not have to sit out because he's already graduated).

This is a very unique situation with him.

I am sure he is looking for more coin. He is probably a tweener at best to play NBA. He is going after as much coin as he can right now. I am sure there is a school lined up to offer him.

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 08:54:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will be interested to see how McKey looks.  Haven?t seen him play in a year and a half

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 01:04:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say we struggle ... .500 club.  Lost a lot of points

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, scope58, herdorbust2

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2023, 07:22:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I say we struggle ... .500 club.  Lost a lot of points

Well, he signed his new players and apparently decided on the members of his team. He is responsible for the makeup of the team so there will be no excuse. I guess we will see how good of a coach he is this season.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, scope58

Offline thunderingon

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2023, 10:12:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm looking foward to watching this team come together. Adding Crawford, Martin, Voyles to the returners will be interesting.  If we can get a step up from Conner, Fricks and McKey, I have no worries at all.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2023, 10:35:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is Pete Moe still in the picture or not?

Online svherd

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2023, 10:47:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe the league will be weaker this season and that will offset our losses.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline scope58

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2023, 11:12:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with your analysis and rotation. But I don't see a better D at all. And the offense will struggle at times a lot. There is going to be some long dry spells scoring. Kinsey and Andrew had been here for years and was very comfortable doing what they wanted. Imo the key to this team will be Conner. If he takes a massive jump and plays with aggression and leadership this team can be decent because he is the type of guy that can make everyone better and also score. But he has to become that player for this team to have a chance imo.
    Agree with that. I think the D will struggle . Its not really stressed.

Offline scope58

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm looking foward to watching this team come together. Adding Crawford, Martin, Voyles to the returners will be interesting.  If we can get a step up from Conner, Fricks and McKey, I have no worries at all.
    lol, unreal

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, miltonherdfan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »

Online miltonherdfan

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • lol, unreal

Agreed. Our roster is in worse shape than it was 2 yrs ago when we won 12 games. We lost our 3 best players & replaced em with guys from the portal that were, at best, "contributors" (not studs or stars) on teams from crappy conferences that nobody with a better program than our's wanted. Exception of Martin, who made a lateral move here from TSU. DD waited until everyone else got what they wanted outta the portal, then we jumped in & nabbed some leftovers.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scope58

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 12:11:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

No way Crawford, Voyles and Martin replace Kinsey, Taylor and Handlogton. You are getting 23 points and giving up 50.  Plus Kinsey and a Taylor had been in the system for years and was comfortable  doing their thing. Those 3 would have to play really well and Conner, Fricks and Obinna would have to take huge steps in their game for us to be decent. The odds just aren't there imo but it's going to be interesting to see which direction this team takes. And the SB looking weaker may help some.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2023, 01:11:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like voyles better than Taylor from what film I?ve seen.

Martin is just as good if not better than Handlogten.

We are still needing one more portal player who can immediately contribute though.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2023, 01:11:12 PM »