Author Topic: How our QB room ranks in the Sunbelt  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Herdiowa

Re: How our QB room ranks in the Sunbelt
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2023, 11:27:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fancher is a different QB than most we have had at Marshall.  To me he is more of a Pat White type of QB.  Pat was never a great thrower but threw well enough.  Regardless that WV offense was special and fun to watch.  We will see if we have the other pieces, but we know we have the RB.  Time will tell.

The following users thanked this post: MUther, herdfan129, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2023, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2023, 12:05:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fancher is a different QB than most we have had at Marshall.  To me he is more of a Pat White type of QB.  Pat was never a great thrower but threw well enough.  Regardless that WV offense was special and fun to watch.  We will see if we have the other pieces, but we know we have the RB.  Time will tell.

What is Fancher's 40 time? Lots of talk about his speed and running but he didn't pop off the field to me. Faster than your average QB, yes but he didn't seem special running the ball to me.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2023, 01:04:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Rice QB and Fancher have very similar skill sets. Smart move by the staff to bring in another QB that can step in and play without having to change the offense around like last season. On film McMahon looks better than Cam, but I'd hate to go with a 1 year fix at that position.
    Hopefully Cam can keep the job and continue to grow since we (could) have him for 3 more years.

Good point about bringing in a QB with the same skill set. Like you said, you don't change the offense which is very helpful to the linemen and other offensive players who don't have to learn new assignments.

It seems that some posters just want an offense that is mostly pass oriented. I like a wide open offense, but it appears we have the personnel/offense to be more balanced. It is easier for the opposing defense to prepare for a team that has a one dimensional offense. A balanced offense will keep the defense honest and off balance. Donnan won a lot of games with this balanced approach and he wanted to have a mobile QB who could run ball. We have always had problems with offenses that have mobile QB.

Like I said, I like a passing offense but I want to win. If Huff's offense is successful then we will win, I can live with that. We beat Notre Dame with an offense that had 145 yards passing and 219 yards on the ground (plus we had one TD pass called back). Of course ND had 3 TO and we had none. I will take those kind of wins all the time.
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 01:12:18 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy

Online FilmJunky

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2023, 01:45:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm gonna say this, if we are elite at everything else (top 3) in the conference we can get by without a top QB. I hate comparing NFL to college but the 49ers do it every year. I think if Cam can manage the game keep the TO's to a minimum and use his legs when needed we should be in line to see 10 wins . 9 for sure. We have to remember Cam had hardly any game experience last year and was thrown into the mix and as shaky as he was we finished the last 8 games 6-2 and ended with 5 straight wins. Sometimes it's not always pretty but W's matter at the end of the day.

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2023, 02:46:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have no problem with a running QB. I don't care if we run the ball 100 times a game if we are winning. It's just disappointing that QBU has only had 1 special QB (Cato) since Lefty. I'll take a special running QB, but we can't even find that. So many recruiting misses at the position and it's held us back from our full potential many years.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, herdfifteen

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2023, 04:13:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is Fancher's 40 time? Lots of talk about his speed and running but he didn't pop off the field to me. Faster than your average QB, yes but he didn't seem special running the ball to me.
    He wasn?t in open field much.  I would say in the 4.5-4.6 range.  I didn?t say he had Pat White speed, but that he reminds me of him.  Kind of the same throwing style etc.  Plus he didn?t turn the ball over a bunch.

I am guessing quote  ?guessing? last year they held back the runs so he did not get injured because we would have been on QB 3 a true freshman.

I am not defending him, but for a freshman he did alright.  The bowl game should show what we had for depth last year at QB.  When you play a kid with back spasms over another QB on the roster the depth is lacking.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2023, 08:32:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He wasn?t in open field much.  I would say in the 4.5-4.6 range.  I didn?t say he had Pat White speed, but that he reminds me of him.  Kind of the same throwing style etc.  Plus he didn?t turn the ball over a bunch.

I am guessing quote  ?guessing? last year they held back the runs so he did not get injured because we would have been on QB 3 a true freshman.

I am not defending him, but for a freshman he did alright.  The bowl game should show what we had for depth last year at QB.  When you play a kid with back spasms over another QB on the roster the depth is lacking.

All things point to him starting so I hope we design a rushing attack around him and let him loose. I'd like to see way more designed runs and option plays for him.

To your point I feel like the offense was never tailored to him last year, so maybe there's some Pat White magic hidden in there.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2023, 10:36:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't care who the starting QB is so long as he is the best we have.  Fancher should have a solid advantage going in due to his familiarity with the playbook, teammates, and coaches.  Fancher needs to do much better than a 55.7% pass completion rate which includes his performance vs 2 FCS teams where he threw 66.7% and 61.5%.  Fancher was solid protecting the ball throwing only 6 Int.

TJ had a 60.2% pass completion rate which included 1 FCS team.  TJ threw 14 Int.

I think it says something that Huff brought in an experienced transfer QB after spring practice.  It may or may not say something about Fancher but it says something about our QB room as a whole.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, Johnnyherd

Offline MUther

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2023, 11:36:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • All things point to him starting so I hope we design a rushing attack around him and let him loose. I'd like to see way more designed runs and option plays for him.

To your point I feel like the offense was never tailored to him last year, so maybe there's some Pat White magic hidden in there.

Maybe one day people will refer to Pat White as having been a Cam Fancher type QB.  Ya never know...

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2023, 09:15:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/JacqaiL/status/1668252395673886720?s=20

A big one here for the QB room! Check out his offer list. 2024 QB
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 09:24:37 AM by Buffalo Bop »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2023, 12:36:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/JacqaiL/status/1668252395673886720?s=20

A big one here for the QB room! Check out his offer list. 2024 QB

Should be some posters here that have seen this kid play.  I see Marshall got an offer out to him in 2021. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2023, 12:36:21 PM »