Author Topic: TJ Mcmahon  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
TJ Mcmahon
« on: June 13, 2023, 02:33:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The more I read and watch about this young man, the more I'm impressed

What I have read

He was a 2600 passing 1000 rushing 26 TD Passing, 9 rushing QB as a senior in California

He went to Miss State 1 year transferred to Juco

In Juco He was 194-245 66%.  2667 yards 24TDs 5 ints. (Set some records)

2 years Rice

Several of his coaches say great things about him and his talent.

His brother is an infielder for the Colorado Rockies MLB

His life goal is to play in the NFL

There are some whole games on YouTube.  I found this short video of him throwing a game winner then there was a fight.  He wasn't part of the fight.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, GreenDaddy

HerdFans.com

TJ Mcmahon
    « on: June 13, 2023, 02:33:36 AM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    Re: TJ Mcmahon
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 02:39:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he would have had 30 more seconds, he would have beaten Holgerson's hotshot Houston team.

The following users thanked this post: GreenDaddy

Online GreenDaddy

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 07:38:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good find on those videos Johnny. This is one shows a little more if you want to watch. Keep in mind it's a highlight video so we are only seeing the good, but he makes some really nice plays.

https://youtu.be/EUYMV-2sOII

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 08:10:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If TJ can learn the playbook Fancher is in trouble unless he made some big improvements in the off season.  Unless Fancher or TJ play lights out I think we will see both in games this fall.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Johnnyherd

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 08:31:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good find on those videos Johnny. This is one shows a little more if you want to watch. Keep in mind it's a highlight video so we are only seeing the good, but he makes some really nice plays.

https://youtu.be/EUYMV-2sOII

He is a DOWN-field passer!  No dinking and dunking going on with him.  I lost count of how many throws he made that were 10+ and 15+ yards in the air.

I tried to piece together what happened at RIce, basically Rice was rated the next to last place team in the C-USA (that's bad) and he won all of thier 5 wins then got hurt and they lost all the their last games with out him.

We had a common opponent, Louisianna.  We lost a torturous game at home to them.  Where we couldn't buy a first down.  I think that was Fancer's first outing as QB he had like 69 yards.   

TJ played them with Rice, he beat them 33-21.  He threw for little over 300 yards, 3 tds, 3ints.  I know that's not even close to a fair comparison, but its our only common opponent.

Here is the link embedded

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain, The E-Man

Offline svherd

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 08:32:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have to trust Huff that he and the staff made the right call on this pick up. They must think this guy can help us win, and that Fancher can lead us to a great season as well.
    I still think a big part of our success is on Trickett, learning from last year - what went well and what didn't. Putting our kids in position to be successful, and not hoping they can pull a Tom Brady on certain plays. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, The E-Man

Offline Big City

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 08:35:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like his arm.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, The E-Man, Johnnyherd

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 08:40:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TJ is a nice pickup who adds much-needed depth to a thin QB room.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, HerdEcon, The E-Man

Online whf

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 09:06:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I watched several of his games, he can play. I was impressed that Rice actually had him.  But I think the ability to beat Fancher out is questionable.  He can be a great asset to Cam by being the adult / experienced player in the room. We need maturity in the QB room as much, if not more, than we do more talent IMHO. Glad he is here, but just like Colombi, I don't think coming here is a slam dunk toward his future.  We have talent in the QB room. It will be just fine this year, much better than folks think.

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, svherd, The E-Man, GreenDaddy

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 09:51:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He looks solid.  If he is as good as his highlight package we got a steal. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline puma

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 10:02:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think he's a solid pickup and made a traditionally terrible team look pretty good when he started as a backup.

I just don't quite understand why he transferred here. He left Rice because he was expected to lose the starting job to JT Daniels. Why would he transfer here unless he believed he a real chance to be a starter?

I figured QB1 would be Fancher's job to lose but maybe not?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, The E-Man

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 11:10:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think he's a solid pickup and made a traditionally terrible team look pretty good when he started as a backup.

I just don't quite understand why he transferred here. He left Rice because he was expected to lose the starting job to JT Daniels. Why would he transfer here unless he believed he a real chance to be a starter?

Huff has stated repeatedly in the podcasts that he recruits players in the portal to push the starters. He has said that the starters improve with a player pushing them. Is this case, I don't know what is the situation? We have zero depth at the QB position and we got a portal transfer with experience. I seriously doubt Huff would recruit a player with a guarantee to start. Just look at the running back position last year, Ali got hurt and Laborn step in and we didn't miss a beat. I don't think Laborn was promised the starting position at running back.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:18:40 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, coalherd, MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 11:10:27 AM »

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 11:22:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good pickup.  He may start at some point.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfifteen, Johnnyherd

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 11:24:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Who cares why he is here. If he is an improvement over anyone on 3 deep depth chart at the QB position then I'm all for it.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ed swain, overherd1, MicDrass1

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 12:21:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have to trust Huff that he and the staff made the right call on this pick up. They must think this guy can help us win, and that Fancher can lead us to a great season as well.
    I still think a big part of our success is on Trickett, learning from last year - what went well and what didn't. Putting our kids in position to be successful, and not hoping they can pull a Tom Brady on certain plays. jmho

If I'm a coach on offense I would have to feel a little slighted by Huff focusing recruiting so much on defense when the offense has glaring needs.  For 3 recruiting cycles Huff's primary recruiting focus has been on the defense.  I get Huff's strategy, but the offense needs a few playmakers too.  Last season the offensive coaching staff's hands were tied due to personnel issues.  If Coach Legg can get the OL straightened out that alone should help the passing game.  I like Legg as OL coach.  During his prime Coach Legg was regarded as one of the top OL coaches in the college game.  Although, I'll take a hard pass on Legg as OC. 

I thought Trickett and Huff came up with a good strategy on offense last year to compensate for the weakness of the OL in pass blocking...  Short, quick, high percentage passes to keep the defense back and give Laborn a chance to do what he did.  We just didn't have the right QB and WR personnel to execute it as well as it could have been.  We didn't have the personnel to be able to throw deep which allowed defenses to set on those short routes.  Hence the 110 ranked passing offense.

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2023, 12:52:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ali will be defenses focus.  Playing close to the line.  We need to use stretch TEs and open up the field with the TEs. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, HerdEcon

Offline svherd

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2023, 01:15:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ali will be defenses focus.  Playing close to the line.  We need to use stretch TEs and open up the field with the TEs.

Agree. Gotta believe teams will make us beat them with the pass knowing our run game is the bread and butter. We'll see what Huff and Trick can do.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, MicDrass1

Offline MUonium

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2023, 02:45:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i'm glad we got experience to bolster the QB group.  one thing i like is the decisive program building and x/o strategies Huff is leading- a breath of fresh air compared to the previous 10 years.

i know what i saw concerning the OL last year.  some very good series and games, none great and some very bad to include both pass and run.  we all know it doesn't matter quite as much who is at QB if we don't have OL, TE and RB blocking.  some teams nearly shut down our run game and that's with one of the best RB groups in the country-  that made us nearly a nothing burger.  we all saw the D nearly exhausted some games.

the staff and some of you think the OL is good to go.  but since the staff have not recruited heavy to the O, i'll be extremely frustrated with Huff going into year 4, and will possibly be be calling for a new HC (if things tank!).  the fanbase is an offensive/explosive minded lot and many of us (the majority) are getting impatient.

that said we also know and are thankful for the fact that Huff and staff have, on paper, done and excellent jog recruiting D this year, and pretty good team wide.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:47:43 PM by MUonium »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, coalherd

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2023, 02:53:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I agree.  I would like to see what our RBs can do when the defense has to respect our passing game and can't just focus on the run.  If the defense, RBs, and OL are as consistently good as we all hope they will be our passing game only has to go from bad to average. 

Laborn was a beast to be able to accomplish what he did last season.  Laborn may not be the best RB to every play at Marshall but he is certainly near the top of the list.  If our OL comes around, that will be one big advantage for Ali, et al. 

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #19 on: June 13, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i'm glad we got experience to bolster the QB group.  one thing i like is the decisive program building and x/o strategies Huff is leading- a breath of fresh air compared to the previous 10 years.

i know what i saw concerning the OL last year.  some very good series and games, none great and some very bad to include both pass and run.  we all know it doesn't matter quite as much who is at QB if we don't have OL, TE and RB blocking.  some teams nearly shut down our run game and that's with one of the best RB groups in the country-  that made us nearly a nothing burger.  we all saw the D nearly exhausted some games.

the staff and some of you think the OL is good to go.  but since the staff have not recruited heavy to the O, i'll be extremely frustrated with Huff going into year 4, and will possibly be be calling for a new HC (if things tank!).  the fanbase is an offensive/explosive minded lot and many of us (the majority) are getting impatient.

that said we also know and are thankful for the fact that Huff and staff have, on paper, done and excellent jog recruiting D this year, and pretty good team wide.

Boring on O + no championships = bad attendance

Step it up

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, beau42m

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2023, 04:41:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I'm a coach on offense I would have to feel a little slighted by Huff focusing recruiting so much on defense when the offense has glaring needs.  For 3 recruiting cycles Huff's primary recruiting focus has been on the defense.  I get Huff's strategy, but the offense needs a few playmakers too.  Last season the offensive coaching staff's hands were tied due to personnel issues.  If Coach Legg can get the OL straightened out that alone should help the passing game.  I like Legg as OL coach.  During his prime Coach Legg was regarded as one of the top OL coaches in the college game.  Although, I'll take a hard pass on Legg as OC. 

I thought Trickett and Huff came up with a good strategy on offense last year to compensate for the weakness of the OL in pass blocking...  Short, quick, high percentage p(@/:; to keep the defense back and give Laborn a chance to do what he did.  We just didn't have the right QB and WR personnel to execute it as well as it could have been.  We didn't have the personnel to be able to throw deep which allowed defenses to set on those short routes.  Hence the 110 ranked passing offense.

I think Huff did fairly well in bringing in Laborn for the offense. I doubt if the offensive coaches felt "slighted" with Laborn.  I think Laborn is probably the second best running back to ever to play at MU after Bradshaw. It will be interesting to see if Laborn plays on Sunday. I agree we do need a couple of good receivers. Huff is on record that the freshmen offensive linemen from last year will be a great addition. All the freshmen offensive linemen red shirted last year and got stronger and bigger. When the line problems happened last year and we lost our QB there wasn't much chance of a passing game.

I don't think Huff wants an offense throwing the ball 50 times a game. Plus great offensive QB in the portal may be too expensive for MU. Let's see if his ideas work. Huff has a lot more coaching experience than the posters on this board.  We could always go back to Doc and be punting from the 30 yard line, no thanks. We haven't a great QB at MU in years and it may take another year to have one.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 04:46:12 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: June 13, 2023, 04:46:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Huff deal  fairly well in bringing in Laborn for the offense. I doubt if the offensive coaches felt "slighted" with Laborn.  I think Laborn is probably the second best running back to ever to play at MU after Bradshaw. It will be interesting to see if Laborn plays on Sunday. I agree we do need a couple of good receivers. Huff is on record that the freshmen offensive linemen from last year will be a great addition. All the freshmen offensive linemen red shirted last year and got stronger and bigger. When the line problems happened last year and we lost our QB there wasn't much chance of a passing game.

I don't think Huff wants an offense throwing the ball 50 times a game. Plus great offensive QB in the portal may be too expensive for MU. Let's see if his ideas work. Huff has a lot more coaching experience than the posters on this board.  We could always go back to Doc and be punting from the 30 yard line, no thanks. We haven't a great QB at MU in years and it may take another year to have one.

It's not Huff or Doc

It's Huff or an up and coming guru on O

F Doc......that's the past that took too long to end

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2023, 04:46:43 PM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2023, 05:32:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's not Huff or Doc

It's Huff or an up and coming guru on O

F Doc......that's the past that took too long to end

Go Herd!

Well, from what I have heard Brad loves Huff more than Dan. Since Brad  is in charge I wouldn't get to worked up over it. Obviously I am offering unsolicited advice. Joking and a a wink.

As Al Davis use to say "just win baby win".
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 05:50:06 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #23 on: June 13, 2023, 05:55:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He said something like "All I want is to have an honest opportunity at winning the starting QB job"

I think Fancher could sit another year then be really good as a junior and senior.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 07:18:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A QB with enough "smarts" to stay clear of on the field brawls!!  That's a big POSITIVE right there!!  Then, again, not too many "dummies" find their way to Rice!!

The following users thanked this post: Johnnyherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 07:18:43 PM »