Author Topic: Marshall New Field to named after Jack Cook  (Read 498 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

Marshall New Field to named after Jack Cook
« on: June 22, 2023, 07:23:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sure most of you received the email from MU regarding the new baseball stadium. For the poster who didn't received the email.

Marshall University?s Board of Governors approved the naming of the Marshall University Baseball Field as Jack Cook Field during Wednesday?s Board of Governors Meeting.

That was one of two naming opportunities approved for the stadium project by the Board of Governors on Wednesday, along with the Alex Lawrence Clubhouse.

Other naming commitments associated with the Baseball Stadium Project will also be released in the near future.

The naming of Jack Cook Field comes in conjunction with a substantial gift from the John Rulli family, who pledged to match gifts made to the baseball stadium project in Jack Cook?s honor, up to $500,000. Rulli is a former Marshall baseball captain and is now the chief administrative officer for Simon Property Group.

?What an amazing honor for our baseball program to play their games on Jack Cook Field,? Marshall Director of Athletics Christian Spears said. ?Having the field named after Coach Cook fulfills the promise so many hoped would be achieved. We are extremely grateful for the matching gift from John Rulli and his family. This community can now ? one person at a time, one donation at a time ? help us achieve the financial goal for the match.?

Jack Cook was a captain for Marshall?s baseball team in 1949 and later was named Marshall?s interim baseball coach in 1955 before being serving as head coach from 1967 to 1989, compiling an overall record of 422-344-3 while leading Marshall to one of its most successful seasons in history ? the 1978 season when the team finished No. 17 in the final poll and was one win away from the College World Series. In that season, Cook was a finalist for National Coach of the Year honors.

?Jack Cook Field ? I cannot think of a better name for our new field and better recognition for our legendary coach,? Marshall baseball coach Greg Beals said. ?Coach Cook means so much to so many of our people and now every player that comes to play for The Herd will play on his field and know who he was. I am very grateful to John Rulli for stepping up and making a generous contribution to put his coach?s name on the field and to challenge his fellow teammates to join in on the project.? 

While the field will bear Cook?s name, the team areas will be known as the Alex Lawrence Clubhouse following a $1 million gift from Kim Lawrence, the widow of the former Marshall standout who played from 1955-59.

?What Kim has done to honor her husband Alex is just so inspirational,? Spears said. ?The Alex Lawrence Clubhouse provides the team with a fabulous training shelter and will house their locker room, film room and all the offices, as well as indoor batting cages. It is such an impactful gift for the team and I am truly grateful to Kim Lawrence for honoring Alex and our team by naming this amazing facility.?

?The thing that I am most excited about with our new facility is the fact that Marshall baseball will finally have a home,? Beals said. ?The Alex Lawrence Clubhouse will serve as the focal point for that home. The culture that will feed Marshall baseball will be bred in this clubhouse. Thank you to Kim Lawrence for honoring Alex Lawrence and providing for the future of Marshall baseball in such a special way.?

Alex Lawrence was dedicated to all things Marshall University. In addition to baseball, Lawrence was a senator in Student Government, a member of Sigma Phil Epsilon and Omicron Delta Kappa fraternities and also a member of ROTC, a service which he continued after college.

Upon graduation and completion of service, Lawrence worked in Industrial Development within the state of West Virginia while also serving as a broker in the coal industry. He also was a franchisee with Taco Bell, having several restaurants in West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.

The two major gifts re-ignite the fundraising efforts for Marshall?s Baseball Stadium Project, which is advancing toward its opening weekend date set for March 2024.

?When Brad Smith and Christian Spears took their respective positions at Marshall University, the word ?transformational? was a word echoed in each of their press conferences,? said Teddy Kluemper, Associate Athletic Director For Development. ?The gifts that the Big Green has secured are just that - transformational.

?Kim Lawrence and John Rulli are two people who recognized the importance of the Marshall University baseball program. Their support has been unwavering throughout and I can?t begin to thank them for their generosity and support.?

There is still a long way to go, however, to fulfill the financial needs of stadium construction.

?The Big Green has been able to secure major commitments toward the construction of the Marshall University baseball stadium,? said Teddy Kluemper, Associate Athletic Director For Development. ?We need everyone?s help to get to the finish line. Personally, I can?t wait until the baseball stadium is built, the bricks are laid and that first pitch is thrown!?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88

HerdFans.com

Marshall New Field to named after Jack Cook
    « on: June 22, 2023, 07:23:35 AM »

Online Flat Tire 2

Re: Marshall New Field to named after Jack Cook
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 07:43:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WSAZ story and video from Keith Morehouse about the stadium.

https://www.wsaz.com/2023/06/22/marshall-name-baseball-facility-after-jack-cook/

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 08:39:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We did it, Coach.

We finally did it.

Jack Cook Field

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, bighat, Collis P, Johnnyherd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 09:47:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There was never any other choice - I don't care how much $ someone donated.  I assume this leaves the stadium, itself, for future naming rights. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, svherd

Offline WindMillersDad

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 03:18:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • &index=1

now if they would just get this thing fixed ! #Amazing

The following users thanked this post: carolinaherdfan

Offline crawdad345

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 05:24:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 05:37:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There was never any other choice - I don't care how much $ someone donated.  I assume this leaves the stadium, itself, for future naming rights.

The genesis of stadium naming rights has contributed, in small part to the current overall craziness of college athletics

HerdFans.com

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 05:37:56 PM »