Author Topic: Marshall Board of Governors approves 10-year campus master plan  (Read 907 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The below link has information on the Jack Cook Field naming and some information on a master plan (wish list if they receive funding). Below is part of the press release.

Several of the Huntington campus priority projects include classroom renovations, flooding interventions, and the renovations of the Science Building, Harris Hall and Smith Hall.

In other action, a five-year capital project list, as well as a deferred maintenance list, which will be sent to the state for potential funding, were approved by the board.

Following an executive session,  members unanimously approved the naming of the new baseball field after longtime baseball coach Jack Cook, as well as the naming of the clubhouse after former Marshall baseball player Alex Lawrence, whose family contributed $1 million toward the project.

https://www.marshall.edu/news/2023/06/marshall-board-of-governors-approves-10-year-campus-master-plan/

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, coalherd

HerdFans.com

Online marshallmark

Re: Marshall Board of Governors approves 10-year campus master plan
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 09:48:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The below link has information on the Jack Cook Field naming and some information on a master plan (wish list if they receive funding). Below is part of the press release.

Several of the Huntington campus priority projects include classroom renovations, flooding interventions, and the renovations of the Science Building, Harris Hall and Smith Hall.

In other action, a five-year capital project list, as well as a deferred maintenance list, which will be sent to the state for potential funding, were approved by the board.

Following an executive session,  members unanimously approved the naming of the new baseball field after longtime baseball coach Jack Cook, as well as the naming of the clubhouse after former Marshall baseball player Alex Lawrence, whose family contributed $1 million toward the project.

https://www.marshall.edu/news/2023/06/marshall-board-of-governors-approves-10-year-campus-master-plan/

10 year university plans are like career or marital paths... everybody has one, but they rarely go as originally planned. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, GreenSteve, MUfan08, coalherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 11:31:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Like the vision and path we are taking. Does the city of Huntington have a 10 year plan? The 20K citizens left at that time want to know.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline coalherd

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 09:21:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 10 year university plans are like career or marital paths... everybody has one, but they rarely go as originally planned.

MM, you've nailed it.  I got a copy of the 2013 "Master Plan" in which one of the most pressing needs were renovations, HVAC, roofing and other needs at the Morrow Library.  There were some leaks and water damage from roofing defects that needed attention.  Maybe MU did some "temporary" fixes, but to my knowledge, in the decade since the 2013 Master plan the vast number of problems, needs, etc., identified in the 2013 Plan are STILL THERE!!  Same applies to our main Science Building.  Morrow and the Science Building are two of the oldest academic facilities on campus that still are extensively used.  MU is now faced with a hefty financial cost to properly fix and renovated such facilities to extend their useful lives for a few decades.  This is mainly due to so-called "deferred maintenance" which was, for the most part, NEVER PERFORMED!!  Can't keep putting such needs off until "tomorrow" as "tomorrow" will eventually catch up with you, as it has in many instances with Marshall!

Offline MarshallHerdFan99

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 07:10:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In regards to the 2013 plan we still had Kopp as President and if he were still President then I think a lot more on the 2013 list would?ve happened. Same with this 2023 list as i believe Brad is going to be one of the best decisions Marshall has made in a long time. I do believe a lot of it will happen and I look forward to seeing Huntington transformed into a beautiful city again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline coalherd

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 06:40:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In regards to the 2013 plan we still had Kopp as President and if he were still President then I think a lot more on the 2013 list would?ve happened. Same with this 2023 list as i believe Brad is going to be one of the best decisions Marshall has made in a long time. I do believe a lot of it will happen and I look forward to seeing Huntington transformed into a beautiful city again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkti

Well, the 2013 Campus Master Plan was prepared for the State's Higher Ed. Policy Commission by an outside consulting firm.  Kopp wasn't here for all that long after the plan came out.  Jerry Gilbert was President for 5 or 6 years or so before Smith.  Real problem is the "leadership" in Charleston, legislative AND executive branches who stupidly put little or no emphasis on Higher Ed and truly value how it can be a valuable and driving force for real Progress in the State, economic and in other ways. Pretty sure that State financial support overall for State colleges and universities has flatlined or fallen pretty significantly over the last decade or more.  Maybe we'll get a different leadership mindset in 2024 and thereafter.
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 06:44:25 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: beau42m

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 03:02:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • $132,000,000 to renovate the science building and Smith Hall??
    Seems like they could probably build a building of the same combined size for nearly that amount of money...   

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

Online Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 12:10:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Brad Smith has been very impressive with his leadership.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 12:10:46 AM »