Author Topic: Billy Crystal on Marshall U  (Read 1325 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

Billy Crystal on Marshall U
« on: June 25, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice comment by Billy Crystal why he didn't return to MU after his freshman year on the CBS Morning show at around the 2:40 point on the video. You might have to wait a few seconds to start the video after the promos. I thought it was nice that he said he attended "Marshall University in West Virginia" on a national broadcast. He didn't have to mention MU, but he did and it was a great story about meeting his future wife and how he decided not to return MU. Good publicity for MU!

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/billy-crystal-discusses-kennedy-center-honors-when-harry-met-sally-and-family/#x
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:03:46 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: MU93, goherd73, herdfan93, svherd, ThunderValley, MUther

HerdFans.com

Billy Crystal on Marshall U
    « on: June 25, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »

Offline ThunderDent

Re: Billy Crystal on Marshall U
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 01:26:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Neat find!

Offline CJHerdgrad

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 08:49:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Many have mentioned the school should reach out to him to come back for the opening of the new baseball field.  Hopefully, that will happen.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 11:19:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Many have mentioned the school should reach out to him to come back for the opening of the new baseball field.  Hopefully, that will happen.

I seem to remember a post that MU sent him a baseball jacket a few years ago? Billy only attended MU for one year and I don't believe he played on the baseball team since freshmen would ineligible in those day to play varsity sports. Most of the photographs I have seen of him at his days at MU were of him being the staff of WMUL radio.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=APwXEdfYVaI9OGtUa7I2jdWq2yXm3q_BjA:1687877777317&q=billy+crystal+marshall+u+baseball.&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqiN3a2uP_AhXiRDABHTJpA7EQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=1504&bih=696&dpr=1.28

Her is a link to the 1967 Chief Justice, but it doesn't have any pictures of the freshmen sports teams.
    file:///C:/Users/Jack/Downloads/1967%20Chief%20Justice%20-%20Athletics%20272-321.pdf

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 11:26:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nice comment by Billy Crystal why he didn't return to MU after his freshman year on the CBS Morning show at around the 2:40 point on the video. You might have to wait a few seconds to start the video after the promos. I thought it was nice that he said he attended "Marshall University in West Virginia" on a national broadcast. He didn't have to mention MU, but he did and it was a great story about meeting his future wife and how he decided not to return MU. Good publicity for MU!

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/billy-crystal-discusses-kennedy-center-honors-when-harry-met-sally-and-family/#x

Why is this even a semi big deal

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 01:06:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I seem to remember a post that MU sent him a baseball jacket a few years ago? Billy only attended MU for one year and I don't believe he played on the baseball team since freshmen would ineligible in those day to play varsity sports. Most of the photographs I have seen of him at his days at MU were of him being the staff of WMUL radio.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=APwXEdfYVaI9OGtUa7I2jdWq2yXm3q_BjA:1687877777317&q=billy+crystal+marshall+u+baseball.&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqiN3a2uP_AhXiRDABHTJpA7EQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=1504&bih=696&dpr=1.28

Her is a link to the 1967 Chief Justice, but it doesn't have any pictures of the freshmen sports teams.
    file:///C:/Users/Jack/Downloads/1967%20Chief%20Justice%20-%20Athletics%20272-321.pdf

He talked, briefly, about his time at Marshall in his Broadway show "700 Sundays".  He talked about why he didn't come back to MU, as he did in this piece, but he also added a not-great anecdote from a visit to Victor's Deli on 8th St.   
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 02:18:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He talked, briefly, about his time at Marshall in his Broadway show "700 Sundays".  He talked about why he didn't come back to MU, as he did in this piece, but he also added a not-great anecdote from a visit to Victor's Deli on 8th St.

FYI; Victors was located on 6th Avenue when Billy attended MU. I think Billy spent part of the semester living  in The Prichard (across the street from Victors) which MU rented for students who couldn't get dorm rooms.

I remember watching a PBS TV show several years ago where Billy was interview by a famous director/acting teacher (I can't remember the name of the series). One of the students in the class asked Billy a question and the student just happened to be a MU grad and Jewish. There were some funny banter about WV Jews and their Appalachian accents. Billy mentioned hanging out at Victors and he made a big smile.

Billy observed High Holy Days with a schoolmate's family in Huntington. I am sure Billy was in cultural shock for a few months coming from NYC to a WV city.
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:24:00 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, puma

Offline goherd73

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 11:04:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FYI; Victors was located on 6th Avenue when Billy attended MU. I think Billy spent part of the semester living  in The Prichard (across the street from Victors) which MU rented for students who couldn't get dorm rooms.

I remember watching a PBS TV show several years ago where Billy was interview by a famous director/acting teacher (I can't remember the name of the series). One of the students in the class asked Billy a question and the student just happened to be a MU grad and Jewish. There were some funny banter about WV Jews and their Appalachian accents. Billy mentioned hanging out at Victors and he made a big smile.

Billy observed High Holy Days with a schoolmate's family in Huntington. I am sure Billy was in cultural shock for a few months coming from NYC to a WV city.

That would be Inside the Actor's Studio with the fantastic host James Lipton.

What a great series that was. Ran for 23 seasons.

The following users thanked this post: gtrman4herd, parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2

Offline MUther

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 09:02:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why is this even a semi big deal

Did the title of the thread mislead you?  Why are you in a thread you have no interest in?  I think the bigger question is why are you such a d o u c h e?

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

HerdFans.com

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 09:02:52 PM »