Author Topic: Ceremony held for bill allocating $45 million to Marshall cyber security program  (Read 462 times)

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting article about the "politics" of MU receiving the money for the new building.  It seems that $45 million was the same amount that wvu needed to fix the wvu deficit. Below are some excerpts from the article. This is one of the few times that MU was treated right by the state.

"More than a week after signing the bill into law on Aug. 14, Gov. Jim Justice held a bill signing ceremony for House Bill 117 ? which allocates $45 million to Marshall University for the creation of a new cyber security program ? on Tuesday. Demolition for the project began over two weeks ago, on Aug. 9.
    Several state and school officials spoke at Tuesday?s ceremony, including House Speaker Roger Hanshaw, R-Clay, and Senate President Craig Blair, R-Berkeley. Toney Stroud, general counsel for Marshall, praised the state?s leadership for their ?tireless efforts,? ?dedication,? ?advocacy? and ?continued commitment? to supporting Marshall. 

According to WVU officials, $45 million ? the same amount allocated for the cyber security program ? is the exact amount of the deficit WVU is facing.
    During the special session, Delegates Evan Hansen, D-Monongalia, Anitra Hamilton, D-Monongalia, and John Williams, D-Monongalia, proposed an amendment to add a $45 million surplus allocation to WVU in addition to Marshall. House Speaker Roger Hanshaw, R-Clay, ruled the amendment was not germane to the proposed bill.

?We all know what?s going on at WVU, and they will work out their problems, but [Marshall came] into this year with a vision,? Blair said. ?A 10-year plan if I remember right, and that is that [Marshall] students will be graduating with no student debt and with gainful employment that can be utilized in the state of West Virginia.?

Outside of telling a story about a football game he attended with former Marshall Football Head Coach Bob Pruett, Justice made one reference to WVU in his remarks at the ceremony.
    ?We have our flagship in many ways in WVU, and we have another flagship right here at Marshall,? Justice said. ?And we?re proud aren?t we??

https://huntingtonnewsnetwork.com/?p=1947
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:06:18 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, herddds, chris88, The E-Man

HerdFans.com

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have talked to a couple of legislators - one R and one D - about this issue.  They both said that the legislature was fed up with WVU's entitlement mentality (i.e. Gee, I'm sure) and that WVU had lied to the legislature on more than one occasion about how dire its situation was.  I inferred there was a lot of wolf crying over the years from WVU's administration and the legislature wasn't going to bail them out of their own mess yet again.

I found it interesting that there didn't appear to be any effort on WVU's part to reduce administration positions, cut salaries of administrators, sell off some of its holdings, etc. ... anything to avoid cuts to programs and faculty.  That tells me that a lot of this was to generate outrage and/or sympathy that would result in increased governmental funding or private donations.  They did the exact same thing with the rifle program several years ago, and the legislature stepped in and funded it - a lot less $ than what we're talking about now, but there is definitely a pattern.

Gee needs to resign and move.  His time has passed. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, chris88, The E-Man, GreenDaddy

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of Gee, below is an interesting article.

WVU troubles not surprising with Gee?s history of lavish spending
    https://huntingtonnewsnetwork.com/?p=1945

One has to wonder if state officials and politicians are taking notice of Brad Smith and his ideas for Marshall U? It looks like Brad put together a great idea for the Cyber Security Center and WV bought in to the plan.

FWIW: Brad has donated a lot of money to MU versus "lavish" spending by Gee. One has to wonder if wvu would want to hire Brad, but wait wvu would never hire a MU person since they are the flagship.
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:40:05 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88, The E-Man

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's the article from the H-D

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: overherd1

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of Gee, below is an interesting article.

WVU troubles not surprising with Gee?s history of lavish spending
    https://huntingtonnewsnetwork.com/?p=1945

One has to wonder if state officials and politicians are taking notice of Brad Smith and his ideas for Marshall U? It looks like Brad put together a great idea for the Cyber Security Center and WV bought in to the plan.

FWIW: Brad has donated a lot of money to MU versus "lavish" spending by Gee. One has to wonder if wvu would want to hire Brad, but wait wvu would never hire a MU person since they are the flagship.

Agree. I think legislators know Brad is a successful business guy and has some innovative ideas to not only help Marshall but the state. They're hitching their wagons to the Brad Smith train. Gee is arrogant and alienates many people. 

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here's the article from the H-D

Thanks for the download. Very interesting article and it is surprising to see praise from state legislators from outside the Huntington area like Clay and Berkeley Counties (Berkeley County is in the Eastern Panhandle near or part of the DC metro area. Marshall needs to cultivate support from all parts of WV.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the download. Very interesting article and it is surprising to see praise from state legislators from outside the Huntington area like Clay and Berkeley Counties (Berkeley County is in the Eastern Panhandle near or part of the DC metro area. Marshall needs to cultivate support from all parts of WV.

MU should put Nazeeh Johnson billboards all over the EP

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Short video from WSAZ about the signing. I will bet this program will increase MU's profile and enrollment. Increasing the enrollment will help the athletic programs. This is a big development for MU.

https://www.wsaz.com/video/2023/08/21/45-million-investment-marshall-huntington-wv/
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:28:48 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, svherd, GreenDaddy

Offline Huffnagel

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe they could name the technology programs at Marshall as the Marshall Institute of Technology or MIT for short! 😂
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Always THE HERD

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FWIW: Marshall professor named head coach of US Cyber Team

Marshall University?s Dr. Josh Brunty, a faculty member in Cyber Forensics & Security, has been named head coach of the US Cyber Team, a team of talented cybersecurity athletes, coaches, and industry leaders put together by the US Cyber Games to represent the United States in global cybersecurity competitions.
    https://www.marshall.edu/news/2023/08/marshall-professor-named-head-coach-of-us-cyber-team/
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 03:16:50 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, svherd, chris88, herdfan129

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is more impressive than WVU's rifle team!

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd

HerdFans.com

Offline GreenDaddy

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is more impressive than WVU's rifle team!

If Brad Smith sticks around long enough, WVU may start sweating bullets. Looks like Marshall is is headed bigger things. I'd like to see overall enrollment eventually hit 20K.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If Brad Smith sticks around long enough, WVU may start sweating bullets. Looks like Marshall is is headed bigger things. I'd like to see overall enrollment eventually hit 20K.

We don't have the infrastructure for 20k.  We'd be busting at the seams at 15k, but I like the way you think.

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, GreenDaddy

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We don't have the infrastructure for 20k.  We'd be busting at the seams at 15k, but I like the way you think.

That can change over time amigo

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Collis P, GreenDaddy, herdfan129

Offline GreenDaddy

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We don't have the infrastructure for 20k.  We'd be busting at the seams at 15k, but I like the way you think.

Do you think there is  an avenue to build our online enrollment to meet those numbers? Brad Smith seems like the type of guy to create a Marshall worldwide type of online school. I've heard him specifically mention Southern New Hampshire University as an example of what Marshall could do. However, I have no clue of the logistics and infrastructure you mention as to what it would take to make something like that happen.
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 04:32:50 PM by GreenDaddy »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It appears that MU is trying to connect with students. Maybe the below will help with student retention, always a problem at MU.

Marshall University launches app designed to improve student life.
    https://www.wsaz.com/2023/08/23/marshall-university-launches-app-designed-improve-student-life/

Offline Flat Tire 2

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Do you think there is  an avenue to build our online enrollment to meet those numbers? Brad Smith seems like the type of guy to create a Marshall worldwide type of online school. I've heard him specifically mention Southern New Hampshire University as an example of what Marshall could do. However, I have no clue of the logistics and infrastructure you mention as to what it would take to make something like that happen.

You might want to check out the below link which lists some of the online programs. On the first page there are 47 online programs listed, I am not sure if that is all of the online programs.
    https://www.marshall.edu/online/

FWIW: I saw a post on the CUSA board where the poster said a lot of the Liberty U online programs were not very good. The poster thought that LU had some good on campus programs. I have a friend whose daughter got a good education for teaching at LU, his other daughter was a UVA grad. I think I would stay with a reputable brick and mortar school for online programs.
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 04:47:28 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

Offline marshallmark

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You might want to check out the below link which lists some of the online programs.
    https://www.marshall.edu/online/

Marshall has been pushing on-line classes - and expanding its offerings - for 10 years.  That's nothing new.  What Brad is contemplating, in my opinion with no 1st hand knowledge, is ratcheting up the on-line offerings by increasing faculty, programs, etc.  I think Marshall could see a dramatic increase in its total enrollment within the next 5 years but those students don't pay activity fees, don't live on campus and pay room/board, and don't normally attend events.  Its a 2 edged sword, but I don't know how any middle level university survives into the 2040s without a robust on-line program.

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, chris88

Offline Buffalo Bop

HerdFans.com