Author Topic: Why I think Cam Fancher is starting  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
Why I think Cam Fancher is starting
« on: September 28, 2023, 10:41:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cam Fancher represents a few things

Most of all he is an investment in the future.  That is literally the story of this entire season, the tutelage and development of Cam Fancher.  We are putting everything into it and if it works out, it will mean we have 30+ games of QB dividends paying us.

He is an an avoidance of QB controversy

He is an avoidance of a fanbase division

He is an attempt to unite a team, by making him the captain of the offense.

---------------------

Now is he the best QB on the team?  I don't know.  I think or rather I hope all the QBs are close to the same level of skill.  I think the difference is probably nominal and he was the closest to being ready in terms of playbook knowledge/ experience and timing was definitely on his side.

We are 9-1 with him as the starter.  Also our defense last season held teams he played against to 13 points a game average and the 9 teams we beat, have 13 wins combined (according to other people's stats). 

9-1 is a fact.  It is also a fact that Fancher is not throwing or running for many touchdowns and we are still winning. 

I can tell you it's not just our fanbase.  I watch opponent previews podcasts and not one opponent has been scared of Cam Fancher, in fact they all say things like, he's not very good, still learning or can't pass, looks like he could run maybe.  Even opposing defensive players aren't worried about him and see him as an opportunity to have a big defensive game.  I listen to a Virginia tech post game and they said Marshall offense that is "really bad except for Rasheen Ali's big play ability", and that is the truth.

Fancher has done an absolutely exceptional job at not losing the game himself, which we could not say about Wells and Green.  He also has a defense that he can throw an interception at our own 15 yard line and can stop the opposing team from scoring, which Wells / Green did not have.

Sooner or later, we are going to play a team that has a rock solid run defense and we are going to have to win by passing or possibly really get cut loose running the ball himself.

We already have a ton invested in Fancher, but there is an old saying, don't keep making the same bad decision, just because you have invested a long time making it.

Im fine with him playing all season, watching him struggle, as long as we win.

If we start losing games because he can't pull his weight as a passing QB then something's going to have to change.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:44:54 AM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

Why I think Cam Fancher is starting
    « on: September 28, 2023, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline marshallmark

Re: Why I think Cam Fancher is starting
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 10:59:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm amazed that anyone thinks Huff and the other coaches are so bull-headed that they'd risk losing games, having a sub-standard season and put their jobs in jeopardy to avoid a QB controversy, fanbase division or to simply unite the team. 

There's a reason Cam is starting, and it can simply be put this way:  The coaches have determined that he gives them the best chance to win.  Period. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Online 2xBison

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 11:18:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm amazed that anyone thinks Huff and the other coaches are so bull-headed that they'd risk losing games, having a sub-standard season and put their jobs in jeopardy to avoid a QB controversy, fanbase division or to simply unite the team. 

There's a reason Cam is starting, and it can simply be put this way:  The coaches have determined that he gives them the best chance to win.  Period.

I'm shocked that's not obvious.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: Big City, ThunderCat98

Offline overherd1

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 11:26:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would imagine Coach Huff is a very competitive and driven man.  That being said, I would imagine he would do whatever is necessary with his current team to put them in the best position to win.  I would think that is the whole premise of coaching for success.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 11:31:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would imagine Coach Huff is a very competitive and driven man.  That being said, I would imagine he would do whatever is necessary with his current team to put them in the best position to win.  I would think that is the whole premise of coaching for success.

True.  Its college for Pete's sake.

- E-Man

Offline sardistim

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 11:39:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm shocked that's not obvious.

Now that?s funny! 

In our current Information Age, where any unemployed blogger with the internet at his fingertips is a self-proclaimed expert that ?knows? more than people with multiple degrees and decades of experience I would say such ?insights? are just par for the course. 

Welcome to the 21st century 😂😱🤯

Online bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 11:45:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Since Puett and maybe before, backup quarterback has been a real function of holding the clipboard. We lost the Ohio game because we were playing an obviously injured Birdsong and were afraid to pull the trigger to bring in another QB. Same happened with Colombi to a great extent.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 11:55:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And can you imagine if Huff said he wanted to try and spark the offense by starting Pennington or Mcmahan this week and we got beat? These same people would have a meltdown.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, FilmJunky

Offline Herd72

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 12:35:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But you would have thought that if he were deemed the best we had then someone would have worked with him on his terrible throwing mechanics. He throws some good maybe great passes but his miscues are not just barely out of the hands of his receivers they are 10 feet over their heads or hit the dirt short of the target.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline puma

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 12:41:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not completely sold on Fancher but he's winning the games that he should.

If that changes, then bench him and start someone else.

Online Johns1124

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 12:44:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Cam Fancher represents a few things

Most of all he is an investment in the future.  That is literally the story of this entire season, the tutelage and development of Cam Fancher.  We are putting everything into it and if it works out, it will mean we have 30+ games of QB dividends paying us.

He is an an avoidance of QB controversy

He is an avoidance of a fanbase division

He is an attempt to unite a team, by making him the captain of the offense.

---------------------

Now is he the best QB on the team?  I don't know.  I think or rather I hope all the QBs are close to the same level of skill.  I think the difference is probably nominal and he was the closest to being ready in terms of playbook knowledge/ experience and timing was definitely on his side.

We are 9-1 with him as the starter.  Also our defense last season held teams he played against to 13 points a game average and the 9 teams we beat, have 13 wins combined (according to other people's stats). 

9-1 is a fact.  It is also a fact that Fancher is not throwing or running for many touchdowns and we are still winning. 

I can tell you it's not just our fanbase.  I watch opponent previews podcasts and not one opponent has been scared of Cam Fancher, in fact they all say things like, he's not very good, still learning or can't pass, looks like he could run maybe.  Even opposing defensive players aren't worried about him and see him as an opportunity to have a big defensive game.  I listen to a Virginia tech post game and they said Marshall offense that is "really bad except for Rasheen Ali's big play ability", and that is the truth.

Fancher has done an absolutely exceptional job at not losing the game himself, which we could not say about Wells and Green.  He also has a defense that he can throw an interception at our own 15 yard line and can stop the opposing team from scoring, which Wells / Green did not have.

Sooner or later, we are going to play a team that has a rock solid run defense and we are going to have to win by passing or possibly really get cut loose running the ball himself.

We already have a ton invested in Fancher, but there is an old saying, don't keep making the same bad decision, just because you have invested a long time making it.

Im fine with him playing all season, watching him struggle, as long as we win.

If we start losing games because he can't pull his weight as a passing QB then something's going to have to change.

Look Dork, he is not starting for a reason. Give it a rest.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 12:48:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i'll admit that i'm a bit surprised and happily so regarding the OL play, rotations and depth.  anyway, this is helping Fancher or any QB who might have to take over.  DL as well.

the overall look of the ball off Fancher's hand and through the air is better to my eyes this year.  however, it simply doesn't fully translate in results so i'm still searching for all the reasons for inaccurate throws.  decision making on committed pass plays must also improve.

i wish the lightbulb would fully come on.  as others have said, the best teams we'll face are in front of us.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 12:48:53 PM »

Online MUfan08

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But you would have thought that if he were deemed the best we had then someone would have worked with him on his terrible throwing mechanics. He throws some good maybe great passes but his miscues are not just barely out of the hands of his receivers they are 10 feet over their heads or hit the dirt short of the target.

How do you know they have not? 

- E-Man

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 01:03:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great points about our coaching staff doing having all this experience and them coaching for a living.

Because most, if not all, D1 coaches are working for free.  We have a huge advantage because we pay our coaches.

Let's  look at all that experience, Huff who's been a QB his entire life, then he coached QBs and then he was an offensive coordinator for 25 years.  So he has spent so much time in a QB room. So we're good there...

Then you have Coach Trickett who is the youngest OC in the nation, with 1 previous job that he was fired from after one season.  Not to mention he is running an offense that is not, at all, his design and by his own admission not even his preferred offense.  There's an old saying sometimes you got to take a job to fit your resume to get the job you want. 

Now let's look at their track record

2021 Grant Wells regresses, losses 3 more than the previous year

2022 Bring in Henry Columbi.  With all the recruiting connections and the promise of a guaranteed starting D1 quarterback job, all we can lure in is a guy that was beaten out at two different schools because of a lack of talent.  But, in 2022 he was brought in as the key player to building an outstanding offense.

Last year, we had an access bowl level defense and a sad anemic offense.

But, yeah 2023's gonna be different because we have an great defense and a powerful offense
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 01:07:56 PM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995

Online Johns1124

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2023, 01:09:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great points about our coaching staff doing having all this experience and them coaching for a living.

Because most, if not all, D1 coaches are working for free.  We have a huge advantage because we pay our coaches.

Let's  look at all that experience, Huff who's been a QB his entire life, then he coached QBs and then he was an offensive coordinator for 25 years.  So he has spent so much time in a QB room. So we're good there...

Sarcasm?

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good grief we are 3-0 this year and nine of our last ten. Can you at least wait and bitch once we start losing?

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, Flat Tire 2

Offline Green Dog

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 01:34:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• If we start losing games because he can't pull his weight as a passing QB then something's going to have to change.

Pretty sure 99% of Herd Fans would agree with this.
    Until then; Its Fancher at QB.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, The E-Man, puma

Online 2xBison

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2023, 01:50:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now that?s funny! 

In our current Information Age, where any unemployed blogger with the internet at his fingertips is a self-proclaimed expert that ?knows? more than people with multiple degrees and decades of experience I would say such ?insights? are just par for the course. 

Welcome to the 21st century
    No kidding.  Thankfully we get to share insights about their insights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: sardistim

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #19 on: September 28, 2023, 01:56:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sarcasm?

Yeah, sorry

I just hate that, "well they know better than you dumb fans".  Of course they do - they absolutely better know better than fans. 

Then they act like our staff has all this successful offensive experience and couldn't be wrong or couldn't do better.

It's a rookie head coach, that was a 15 year recruiting coordinator background.  A rookie offensive coordinator with no proven success with no quarterback coach and a converted wide receiver playing QB.

How many times has coach Huff managed a situation like this?  How many times has coach Huff switched QBs.  How many times has Huff even evaluated and chosen a QB?
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 01:59:16 PM by Johnnyherd »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2023, 02:13:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, sorry

I just hate that, "well they know better than you dumb fans".  Of course they do - they absolutely better know better than fans. 

Then they act like our staff has all this successful offensive experience and couldn't be wrong or couldn't do better.

It's a rookie head coach, that was a 15 year recruiting coordinator background.  A rookie offensive coordinator with no proven success with no quarterback coach and a converted wide receiver playing QB.

How many times has coach Huff managed a situation like this?  How many times has coach Huff switched QBs.  How many times has Huff even evaluated and chosen a QB?

johnnie, why don't you call up Brad Smith give him your suggestions and share your vast football knowledge? I am sure he will take the call and listen to you; right

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, herdfan129, herdorbust2

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2023, 05:22:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm shocked that's not obvious.

Agreed

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2023, 05:22:59 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2023, 07:29:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We've said that for years. Why no one worked with Cato, Litton, Anderson, Cann, Green, etc. Each had mechanics issues that were really never corrected. Is it coaching, or just an issue that isn't fixable for fear it may make the player worse. Sorta like taking golf lessons. Lol!

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2023, 09:34:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We've said that for years. Why no one worked with Cato, Litton, Anderson, Cann, Green, etc. Each had mechanics issues that were really never corrected. Is it coaching, or just an issue that isn't fixable for fear it may make the player worse. Sorta like taking golf lessons. Lol!

Last season either Huff or Trickett acknowledged that Fancher had mechanical issues they tried to fix, but it created other problems.  They had him to go back to what he was doing.  It was a recorded interview, anyone that cares to research it can find it.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #24 on: September 29, 2023, 10:45:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last season either Huff or Trickett acknowledged that Fancher had mechanical issues they tried to fix, but it created other problems.  They had him to go back to what he was doing.  It was a recorded interview, anyone that cares to research it can find it.

Trickett also stated he was not used to coaching left handed QBs.  I don't know if that was a factor.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2023, 10:45:19 PM »