Author Topic: What we know after ODU 23  (Read 1775 times)

Offline goherd24

What we know after ODU 23
« on: September 30, 2023, 07:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1. ODU was prepared, and came in here giving us their best shot, and taking advantage of our weak rush defense. Expect other teams to follow suit after this week.

2. Coaching - pathetic. Made absolutely 0 adjustments to stop those gashing runs. Even after 300 yards on the ground, we still had 2 LB the majority of the time. We went stupid conservative late with the ball as well, giving ODU a chance theys shouldn't have gotten.

3. Fancher - even with several turnovers, he played the best game in a marshall uniform to date. Biggest improvement was his running game. That is an area he can excel. Air game was ok this week. Overall, fancher did a good job overall. If you told me ODU scores 35, I'd imagine we lose that game 9 out of 10 times, but not today. First time i can say that objectively, Fancher played a good, solid game.

4. Defense - we've been super weak against the rush this season all year. ODU exposed that. Still, they came back, even scored a TD and gave us some short fields and got stops when we needed too. We need to play less nickel against teams that are gonna run it down our throats.

5. Crowd was solid, was glad to see that.

6. Overall, ODU was the best team we've played to date. This could gave gotten out of hand and we overcame it with offense this time. Mind you, ODU is not a good defensive team, but we have shown absolutely zero ability to score points in bulk, until today. Even though our defense was exposed, our offense picked it up. This was a good game for us going into NC State. Our offense has some momentum and confidence, they sorely needed. Can't wait to see us in raleigh next week.

Look ahead -

NC State - They are not a Juggernaut or nearly as good as NC State was last time we played. They are probably still the best team we have played since coastal last season. That's not saying much, as none of those teams have a winning record. We have a real shot to beat them IF, our defense makes some adjustments and plays well, and our offense does what it did today, minus the INTs and Lateral fumble. We need a clean game to win.

NC State is solid against the run (28th) and average against the pass (68). Scoring D is 54th. By far the best defense we have faced.

On the flip side, unfortunately, their strength is the running game in the top 50, vs (ODU at  over 100, and ripped us today). While their passing game is among the bottom echelon in football.

I'd guess NC State will be favored by 7-9 points.

Can we do it? We'll see.
    « Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 07:26:09 PM by goherd24 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1

HerdFans.com

What we know after ODU 23
    « on: September 30, 2023, 07:22:32 PM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: What we know after ODU 23
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 07:30:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fancher was the player of the game.

The following users thanked this post: luvherd, Garbanjo, svherd, biggreenarms, herdorbust2

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 07:55:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't believe we didn't make adjustments on run D

Atrocious

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, Flat Tire 2

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 08:02:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Defense was awful most of the game, but stepped up at the end.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 09:18:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Before the season I didn't see a lot of people, Herd fans or not, projecting that we would be undefeated at this point.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 09:31:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree with your assessment.

Anyone know what the attendance was tonight?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 09:37:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree with your assessment.

Anyone know what the attendance was tonight?

ESPN says 22,652

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    « Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 09:54:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ESPN says 22,652

Looked much bigger on TV

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: GreenSteve, go1970herd, HoPPy785, herdfan129

Offline REL70

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 10:11:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Before the season I didn't see a lot of people, Herd fans or not, projecting that we would be undefeated at this point.

Heck, after Albany, we had people giving up after one game.

https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=116284.0

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 10:15:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looked much bigger on TV

Go Herd!

There were some tv shots that I thought looked packed.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 10:48:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There were some tv shots that I thought looked packed.

Agreed. That?s another positive of removing the end zone expansion.

23k feels much bigger.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 12:12:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agreed. That?s another positive of removing the end zone expansion.

23k feels much bigger.

Still sad to me. 25k used to be our floor, a "bad crowd". Ohio drew 30+ k. A 3-0 team coming off a win over an ACC team, why can't we get 28-30k. And homecoming at that?

But I'll agree, it looked like way more than 23k on TV. Hopefully we can get this one at NC State and then bring in a nice crowd.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 12:12:35 AM »

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2023, 12:16:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Both Cabell-Midland and Spring Valley had Homecoming's this weekend so that contributed to a smaller crowd.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2

Offline puma

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2023, 12:27:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those that watched the game on TV... What was up with those long runs ODU kept making? I could not believe they kept making them, repeatedly, over and over again. Not just a one off thing. Giving one of those up over the course of the season would be bad, let alone multiple times in one game. It reminded me a lot of the QB from the Albany game.

Seeing the defense get exploited like that was just brutal to watch.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2023, 07:34:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those that watched the game on TV... What was up with those long runs ODU kept making? I could not believe they kept making them, repeatedly, over and over again. Not just a one off thing. Giving one of those up over the course of the season would be bad, let alone multiple times in one game. It reminded me a lot of the QB from the Albany game.

Seeing the defense get exploited like that was just brutal to watch.

Outside of the QB long run where we sold out.

ODU looked at the tape and realizes our defense looks at the side lines for what plays and adjustments are needed for every snap. So ODU after first down or picking up a good chunk on first down, would hurry up to the line and snap the ball before our line and linebackers were set and still looking at the side lines (heck most of the time our DL were still standing up while the ball was being snapped). This lead to being out of position, poor angles and bad tackling on runs.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, The E-Man, puma, herdfan129

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 08:13:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Both Cabell-Midland and Spring Valley had Homecoming's this weekend so that contributed to a smaller crowd.

How do you know this

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 08:28:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Still sad to me. 25k used to be our floor, a "bad crowd". Ohio drew 30+ k. A 3-0 team coming off a win over an ACC team, why can't we get 28-30k. And homecoming at that?

But I'll agree, it looked like way more than 23k on TV. Hopefully we can get this one at NC State and then bring in a nice crowd.
    I had guessed 25000. I was kind of shocked when I saw the actual number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 08:30:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The main thing I know is that we are 4-0 heading into the NC State game. Yes, there is work to be done. But, we are undefeated. I'm going to enjoy that.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, scherd, puma, herdfan129

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 08:41:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Still sad to me. 25k used to be our floor, a "bad crowd". Ohio drew 30+ k. A 3-0 team coming off a win over an ACC team, why can't we get 28-30k. And homecoming at that?

"Ohio drew 30+k" When did this happen? OU had 21,191 (capicity of 24K) for their home game with Iowa State on Sept 16. There other two home games had less than 18,500. FYI the OU message board said that ISU brought a lot of fans to the game.

https://ohiobobcats.com/sports/football/stats

Offline MU93

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2023, 08:41:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anybody else enjoy watching 3, Pierce?  I like him?. Kid appears to be a baller

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, DC01HERD, The E-Man, MUonium, MicDrass1

Offline MU93

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2023, 08:48:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also want to give credit to special teams, 2-2 on field goal, good coverage and Harrison?s returns.  Until his ko return, the team was sleep walking.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, The E-Man, puma, MicDrass1, REL70

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2023, 09:02:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anybody else enjoy watching 3, Pierce?  I like him?. Kid appears to be a baller

Agreed. Has he played before yesterday? We need to get the ball in his hands.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2023, 09:02:53 AM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2023, 09:28:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Also want to give credit to special teams, 2-2 on field goal, good coverage and Harrison?s returns.  Until his ko return, the team was sleep walking.

Great call out. It was nice seeing the team get some positive return yardage. My only complaint against ST are the two penalties. Off sides to start the game (what the...) and the kickoff out of bounds.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2023, 09:31:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I will take my bow now.

I believe the Herd will be 4-0 going to NC State with a puncher's chance for a win. If they can pull that off, it could be a special season.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As a long time Marshall fan, I have never ever seen a Herd team allow so many long,uncontested td runs. The Young Thundering Herd gave up some long runs, but not 4 uncontested! Yesterday's performance by the Herd front line was one of the worst, I've seen! I remember back in the AA-playoffs, Middle Tennessee had a very speedy running back who took it to the house for like 95 yards untouched. Defense Coordinator Mickey Matthews made some adjustments and their running back was contained for the rest of the game. We're missing Lance Guidry more than ever. We had better tighten up for our next game against N.C. State or it's going to be a repeat performance. After seeing ODU TD runs, I thought, I was watching instant replays!
    « Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 09:58:47 AM by The E-Man »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan93, Buffalo Bop, mu79grad, elginherd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »