Author Topic: #1 MU at Georgia Southern soccer  (Read 1448 times)

Offline goherd24

Re: #1 MU at Georgia Southern soccer
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2023, 12:55:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, this was a solid win. They are decent. Not sure what people want our soccer team to do. Only undefeated, untied team left in the nation and #1. Will likely be #1 seed in the ncaa tournament. What an accomplishment that is, on it's own. We'll have a ton of games at home which will be sold out.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, gochneaur645

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2023, 12:55:15 AM »

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2023, 12:59:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think people are very happy with soccer program and team. The fact we have game threads should show the support we have for soccer.

The only complaints I see, and I agree with them, are those wanting more consistency from our back line. This is currently our Achilles heel. We get careless with the ball and make dumb/lazy passes. The reason people are focused on this, is to be honest, outside of bad luck, this is probably the only thing standing between us and other national championship.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, svherd, The E-Man

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2023, 07:39:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those complaining about passing the ball around in the back need to understand that's not going to change. Grassie wants to play out of the back. He believes the risk is worth the reward. That's how we play, and we do it well. When you play that style, mistakes are dramatically highlighted because they usually result in a scoring chance for the other team. It helps us (1) retain possession longer, limiting the other team's time on the ball, (2) allows us to build from the back and unlock the opponents defense, and (3) counterattack quickly when they press us - sometimes that results in good chances on the other end, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, it's generally the result of one misplaced pass or a poor decision on the ball. That's just the nature of soccer.

And for those that want to see basketball on grass, that's not going to happen either. It's not sustainable over a single game, much less a season. We were scoring more goals early because teams didn't really know who or what we had or how we played and because our midfield was just in better form than they have been the last 3 matches. Grassie is toying with the lineup right now so he can make changes when necessary  especially during tournament time.

The following users thanked this post: jsbowen, Surbadger

Online elginherd

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2023, 08:07:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those complaining about passing the ball around in the back need to understand that's not going to change. Grassie wants to play out of the back. He believes the risk is worth the reward. That's how we play, and we do it well. When you play that style, mistakes are dramatically highlighted because they usually result in a scoring chance for the other team. It helps us (1) retain possession longer, limiting the other team's time on the ball, (2) allows us to build from the back and unlock the opponents defense, and (3) counterattack quickly when they press us - sometimes that results in good chances on the other end, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, it's generally the result of one misplaced pass or a poor decision on the ball. That's just the nature of soccer.

And for those that want to see basketball on grass, that's not going to happen either. It's not sustainable over a single game, much less a season. We were scoring more goals early because teams didn't really know who or what we had or how we played and because our midfield was just in better form than they have been the last 3 matches. Grassie is toying with the lineup right now so he can make changes when necessary  especially during tournament time.

That's OK, except when there's a bunch of opponents in and around the box pressuring the ball and there's a bunch of passes.

AFA basketball on grass, that depends on your roster and culture. Watch a little Brazilian or Bundesliga soccer. They play a more freewheeling style and it's sustainable.

Overall, this team is the best Herd team ever in terms of comparing it to its national competition since the Moss-Kresser 1-AA championship team. So I'm happy. I just would hate for them to lose a tournament match on a dumb TO.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88, herdfan129

Offline svherd

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2023, 09:04:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love the program and what we have done/are doing. I wonder if we are getting over confident or the pressure of being number 1 is getting to the kids?  Even though we are more talented, we'll have to clean it up against WVU or they'll clean our clocks. Both coaches think alike and knows the others tendencies. I'd hate to lose to those suckers. Gonna be high emotion and chippy.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, herdfan129

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #30 on: October 02, 2023, 09:35:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love the program and what we have done/are doing. I wonder if we are getting over confident or the pressure of being number 1 is getting to the kids?  Even though we are more talented, we'll have to clean it up against WVU or they'll clean our clocks. Both coaches think alike and knows the others tendencies. I'd hate to lose to those suckers. Gonna be high emotion and chippy.

The results cannot be denied so let's be real: I'm nitpicking because I know how good we can be

Our form has slipped the past few games, but it's probably just a blip

I trust Grassie so let's ride

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2023, 10:13:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I gotta admit, Ga Southern's announcers are terrific. Appropriately homer, but totally fair.

Play by play guy doesn't know soccer but he tried (there is no "out of bounds" in soccer).  Color guy was excellent and very complimentary of MU. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, sardistim, svherd, elginherd, REL70

Offline REL70

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2023, 10:50:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Play by play guy doesn't know soccer but he tried (there is no "out of bounds" in soccer).  Color guy was excellent and very complimentary of MU.

The VCU play-by-play guy was a little too much homer for me. I did feel like the GA Southern guys were better.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, marshallmark, ThunderCat98

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2023, 10:55:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Play by play guy doesn't know soccer but he tried (there is no "out of bounds" in soccer).  Color guy was excellent and very complimentary of MU.

I thought they had done their homework and tried to present fair background on MU's team and history.  As you said they definitely showed respect for who MU soccer is.  They were clearly homers in their desire for GS to win or tie, but they did their best to be professional.

All in all I wasn't the least put off by their performance. In fact I enjoyed the underlying tone of respect shown for Marshall.

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2023, 01:47:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Its great to be undefeated and untied.

I don't have a soccer background so this is just based upon a novice's observation.

As others have mentioned, it appears our attack has slowed recently and our midfield play has not been as strong. We became a different / less dangerous team after Pascual's injury. I think his absence is the main reason we aren't as dangerous / pressing team.

He was key for many reasons:

1. He has big size and strength. He is able to hold his own on the front line and can get off shots where others may be pushed. He isn't listed (probably because he has only played in 5 of 10 games this season, but would be a NCAA leader with shots and shots on goal per game. He should be #1 with Shots per game and #2 for Shots on Goal per game. He has 27 shots and 14 shots on goal through 5 games. He was getting better on his accuracy and by placing so many shots he was putting more pressure on the opposing defense which gave opportunities for others to score.
    2. He is an accurate ball handler. Many times he came back to the midfield position, received a pass and immediately turned to start the attack. When a defender pressured him he could shield the ball with his body until an accurate pass could be made. He was able to give the backline and midfield a solid option to start a fast attack.
    3. He and Bell fed off one another. Both gave the other player more room to operate and create / score. Bell has had difficulty getting scoring opportunities lately.
    4. He was our best option on corner kicks. Someone can verify but last night was the first goal off a corner kick since Pascual's injury and it was really off a rebound for a reset outside the box. Pascual had three of his four goals from Corner kicks. He had the size and knack to place a head on the ball. We average almost 6 corner kicks a game so its possible we could have 2 to 3 more goals from corner kicks over the last 5 games if he was playing. 

If he is able to come back this year with the same form then I really like our chances of winning a Natty. Otherwise, I think it will be a more difficult proposition. The margin of error will be tight. The opposition will be tough and seasoned by the playoffs. We had an advantage over most teams starting the season due to the training that took place this summer in Brazil. That advantage will be negated by seasons end.

I'm going to enjoy this ride. The winning and top 25 streak could end at any point in time. Many including me thought Marshall football would continue to do well some 20 plus years ago. Of course that success didn't continue.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88

Offline luckytoes99

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2023, 02:01:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Top Drawer rankings are out for this week.

MU #1
    UCF #2
    WVU #4

Offline sardistim

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2023, 12:27:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully, this was the longest travel the Herd has to make this season.  Second away game of the week, longest travel match of the year.  And still without Garcia-Pascual.  Not surprised we weren't perfect.  But was there ever a moment when you thought we might lose this game--even when we were down 0-1?

We controlled the pace, dominated possession.  We had numerous dangerous moments in the box.  Ga Southern has a good defense.  This is a team that has given up 9 goals in 10 matches--1/3 of those goals we scored last night.  We allowed 3 shots all night.  3 shots--one every 30 minutes.  That's amazing. 

Back to travel.  Marshall OOC away games were Pitt and VCU.  Conference away games include James Madison, Ga Southern, WVU, and Old Dominion.  If we win the Sunbelt regular season, we play all the conference tournament games at home.  If we get a Top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament we would play at home for as long as we win until the College Cup.  And the Final Four is in Louisville.  Except for Ga Southern every Herd match this season will be on the banks of the Ohio River or somewhere in the Virginias.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2023, 12:27:48 AM »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2023, 09:33:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully, this was the longest travel the Herd has to make this season.  Second away game of the week, longest travel match of the year.  And still without Garcia-Pascual.  Not surprised we weren't perfect.  But was there ever a moment when you thought we might lose this game--even when we were down 0-1?

We controlled the pace, dominated possession.  We had numerous dangerous moments in the box.  Ga Southern has a good defense.  This is a team that has given up 9 goals in 10 matches--1/3 of those goals we scored last night.  We allowed 3 shots all night.  3 shots--one every 30 minutes.  That's amazing. 

Back to travel.  Marshall OOC away games were Pitt and VCU.  Conference away games include James Madison, Ga Southern, WVU, and Old Dominion.  If we win the Sunbelt regular season, we play all the conference tournament games at home.  If we get a Top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament we would play at home for as long as we win until the College Cup.  And the Final Four is in Louisville.  Except for Ga Southern every Herd match this season will be on the banks of the Ohio River or somewhere in the Virginias.

I had to re-look at the schedule to confirm there are only 6 more regular season games.  This  year's flown by. 

- E-Man

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2023, 10:43:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A few thoughts this morning...

We play Georgia State at home on Saturday evening.  One interesting note is that the Panthers play a road game an OOC at Mercer on Wednesday evening (apparently a choice of theirs), giving them only 2 days rest before what should be their toughtest game of the year - a game that pre-season one thought would have a significant impact on the conference race.  Why would they give themselves almost the least amount of recovery time possible - while traveling - going into this matchup?  Seems like poor schedule making to me on their part...

This weekend will have been 4 weeks since Garcia-Pascual last played.   A grade 1 sprain recovery time is usually 1-3 weeks.  A grade 2 sprain, which usually includes a partial tear, is a 4-6 week recovery time.  If we don't see AGP in the next 2 weeks, then it likely means he suffered a full tear or rupture (grade 3) and is probably out for the remainder of the season as that recovery takes months.  So, I will assume that if he's not back by the WVU game, then we probably may be without his services for the rest of this season.

Since we have now passed the school record for most consecutive wins, the biggest historical accomplishment left in the regular season (aside from clinching the conference regular season title) is the perfect regular season (or otherwise, an undefeated regular season if we do get a draw along the way).  The last team to have a perfect regular season was 2001 SMU, who won the Missouri Valley Conference tournament championship, but lost at home in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament having spent 14 weeks at Number 1, failing to make the College Cup.  The last perfect season with a national title was Howard in 1974 (19-0).  There has not been an undefeated national champion since Santa Clara split a national title in 1989 (finals were a draw after extra time, no penalty kicks to decide an outcome that season). Santa Clara finished that season 20-0-3.
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 10:47:13 AM by CoachMaclid »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, sardistim, parshall2marshall, svherd, chris88, luckytoes99

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2023, 11:14:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In the postgame wrap-up the GASO announcer said Marshall [is] "coming for a National Championship" goal-wise.

Sent shivers down my spine because WE ARE
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, svherd

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2023, 11:41:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is a possible answer to this seemingly attitudes abounding from our players in games. These kids are from different cultures that exhibit the machismo attitudes. This sport in their country is where their manhood has led them to from the streets. So, we are seeing manifestations of cultural attitudes at various calls by refs. This attitude was not on display while they played in Brazil. Also the calm nature of the HC being English takings thing in stride is confusing sometimes to us as Americans. Playing calm is the football Grassie knows best.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, parshall2marshall, luckytoes99, overherd1

Offline sardistim

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2023, 04:32:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I had to re-look at the schedule to confirm there are only 6 more regular season games.  This  year's flown by.
    Time flies when you are winning every match and are #1 in the nation!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall

Offline chris88

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2023, 07:42:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • - I thought we moved the ball exponentially better than we did vs VCU. I thought we let VCU dictate play too much. Ga Southern coach very successful at lower level and has his kids believing in the process.
    - Roberto adds extreme athleticism. I agree Grassie is tinkering with combos. Fajita, Amaro, Roberto, Pinto all have huge upside in backline
    - We were better handling ball and moving on back end. Oshiyoshi had the bad pass that set up goal for them and another that almost led to a grade A chance but he probably handles ball move than anyone on team. I agree that we probably won't change much but also agree that when trapped vs multiple guys in limited space close to goal line or touchline it is fine to relieve that pressure and just get it out of there and re-shape
    - Bell had two chances to take good shots and overdribbled imo.
    - Refs and announcers did a good job imo
    - I thought we played our game pretty much until the end, even with some subs on
    - Agree we still miss Pascaul. Would be nice to get a real update...although winning gives team luxury of holding him out longer if not 100%. Maybe Grassie thinking a RS a possibility?? Can't imagine he wouldn't use him once we get into postseason.
    - Like the move of Simon to striker, although not the physical presence of Pascual...especially on set pieces.
    - Disagree with an earlier thread that we shouldn't have won NCAA championship.  UNC, imo, only team to outplay us. Clemson goal was offsides and shouldn't have gone to OT/PK. We outplayed Indiana, Forham, and Georgetown imo. Like hockey, you have to get hot at right time, have closers, and have some good fortune.
    - Aoumaich has been a stud and maybe most consistent. We have yet to hit on all cylinders imo. That's a little scary.
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 10:52:17 AM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, svherd, jsbowen, gochneaur645, luckytoes99

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2023, 10:44:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • - I thought we moved the ball exponentially better than we did vs VCU. I thought we let VCU dictate play too much. Ga Southern coach very successful at lower level and has his kids believing in the process.
    - Roberto adds extreme athleticism. I agree Grassie is tinkering with combos. Fajita, Amaro, Roberto, Pinto all have huge upside in backline
    - We were better handling ball and moving on back end. Oshiyoshi had the bad pass that set up goal for them and another that almost led to a grade A chance but he probably handles ball move than anyone on team. I agree that we probably won't change much but also agree that when trapped vs multiple guys in limited space close to goal line or touchline it is fine to relieve that pressure and just get it out of there and re-shape
    - Bell had two chances to take good shots and overdribbled imo.
    - Refs and announcers did a good job imo
    - I thought we played our game pretty much until the end, even with some subs on
    - Agree we still miss Pascaul. Would be nice to get a real update...although winning gives team luxury of holding him out longer if not 100%. Maybe Grassie thinking a RS a possibility?? Can't imagine he wouldn't use him once we get into postseason.
    - Like the move of Simon to striker, although not the physical presence of Pascual...especially on set pieces.
    - Disagree with an earlier thread that we shouldn't have won NCAA championship.  UNC, imo, only team to outplay us. Clemson goal was offsides and shouldn't have gone to OT/PK. We outplayed Indiana, Forham, and Georgetown imo. Like hockey, you have to get hot at right time, have closers, and have some good fortune. Aoumaich has been a stud and maybe most consistent. We have yet to hit on all cylinders imo. That's a little scary.

I didn't use the word "shouldn't".  Marshall earned that star.  What I said was that MU wasn't the best team in the tournament.  I think Clemson was, and they showed that by blitzing through the 2021 tournament just a few months later.  If you go look at the stats of the MU-Clemson game, Clemson had 14 corners while MU only had 1.  That's usually indicative of one team dominating play. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline chris88

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2023, 10:59:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't use the word "shouldn't".  Marshall earned that star.  What I said was that MU wasn't the best team in the tournament.  I think Clemson was, and they showed that by blitzing through the 2021 tournament just a few months later.  If you go look at the stats of the MU-Clemson game, Clemson had 14 corners while MU only had 1.  That's usually indicative of one team dominating play.

That is a big disparity in corners although MU under Grassie has never been a statistically high corner kick team. I didn't think Clemson dominated the game overall but your point is well taken.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

HerdFans.com

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2023, 10:59:06 AM »