Author Topic: Womens Basketball Team  (Read 1437 times)

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • All American
  • Member Since 08/2009
Womens Basketball Team
« on: October 02, 2023, 02:56:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Anyone watch them practice?  How are they looking?  Any players stand out?

HerdFans.com

Womens Basketball Team
    « on: October 02, 2023, 02:56:36 PM »

Offline WindMillersDad

Re: Womens Basketball Team
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 09:47:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this morning was the first official practice of the season !

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 09:57:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It looks like we might have weekly press conferences with our coaches, which I like. I wish we would get a wireless microphone for the people asking questions. I don't understand why that is so hard. But I am glad to watch these videos:

Dan's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m3ShOOqIs

He talks highly of Martin and some of his abilities. Crawford was also interviewed.

Here is Coach Caldwell's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6d5zNJd9kU&t=338s

Coach Caldwell was followed by Abby Beeman.

I have to say that I like listening to both of our coaches talk basketball.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 07:33:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It looks like we might have weekly press conferences with our coaches, which I like. I wish we would get a wireless microphone for the people asking questions. I don't understand why that is so hard. But I am glad to watch these videos:

Dan's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m3ShOOqIs

He talks highly of Martin and some of his abilities. Crawford was also interviewed.

Here is Coach Caldwell's press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6d5zNJd9kU&t=338s

Coach Caldwell was followed by Abby Beeman.

I have to say that I like listening to both of our coaches talk basketball.

You're going tp love Martin and both the other transfer as well. Martin simply knows how to play the pivot. He has lots of speed. He is strong and will be a big help offensively underneath
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, jdonaccbus, HerdMan84, overherd1, REL70

Online marshallmark

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 09:28:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're going tp love Martin and both the other transfer as well. Martin simply knows how to play the pivot. He has lots of speed. He is strong and will be a big help offensively underneath

For years, I've said we needed a Robert Epps more than we needed a Tom Curry.  We have enough scorers - we need a garbage man that's good for 10 and 10.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, herddds, HoPPy785, REL70

Offline gtrman4herd

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 01:11:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To all the negative nelly's, just keep on moving, but I am excited to see what this team can do!! Danny has more team speed than hes had since hes been here.  I think we will have the ability to pressure teams effectively.  Martin brings a little bit of nasty to the table, we needed that.  Voles and Crawford are both quick as a hiccup and both can shoot!! Big G and Curfman have both lost weight and appear quicker.  We may have the first team that has the athletes to fully play the style of ball he wants to play. 

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for,
    And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more.
    *John Prine*

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, horsrman, REL70

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 01:17:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To all the negative nelly's, just keep on moving, but I am excited to see what this team can do!! Danny has more team speed than hes had since hes been here.  I think we will have the ability to pressure teams effectively.  Martin brings a little bit of nasty to the table, we needed that.  Voles and Crawford are both quick as a hiccup and both can shoot!! Big G and Curfman have both lost weight and appear quicker.  We may have the first team that has the athletes to fully play the style of ball he wants to play.

We hear this exact same thing every year. It's always the first year Danny can play his style and it will be the fastest team yet. We will see. Martin is a defensive liability.
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 01:58:03 PM by herdorbust2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, miltonherdfan

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 02:37:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Hope you're right man, but I'll believe it when I see it

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, herdfifteen, herdorbust2

Online svherd

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 03:55:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Based on what we lost; if Dan wins 20 games this year, that will be his finest coaching work yet. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, whf, wasbarryb, miltonherdfan

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 04:01:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Based on what we lost; if Dan wins 20 games this year, that will be his finest coaching work yet. jmho

OOC we wont do well but conference we should do decent since it's so weak. I would guess about 16-15

Online marshallmark

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 04:08:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• OOC we wont do well but conference we should do decent since it's so weak. I would guess about 16-15

Interesting. Why do you say that?  Its not murderers' row, and the Cayman tournament is diminished.  I think they can win 8-10 of the OOC schedule.  "Can" being the operative word. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 04:19:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting. Why do you say that?  Its not murderers' row, and the Cayman tournament is diminished.  I think they can win 8-10 of the OOC schedule.  "Can" being the operative word.

Just what I see. People say this is the fastest and most athletic he has had. But lost Kinsey and Taylor, I guess they were stiffs. And we lost a 7-1 very athletic center for that size. And remember Danny says it takes a year in the system to get comfortable, his words not mine. So we lost 50 points PLUS about 9 years of experience in the system, but eh no big deal. We go on the road to Toledo and Ohio which won't be a cakewalk. Plus this team will need some time to jell if they ever do.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 06:37:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We hear this exact same thing every year. It's always the first year Danny can play his style and it will be the fastest team yet. We will see. Martin is a defensive liability.

You were the one telling us that crap every single year.. Until about halfway through last year, when Danny turned you down for a post-practice BJ.

The following users thanked this post: ru4mu2, AEOS, goherd24

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2023, 06:49:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You were the one telling us that crap every single year.. Until about halfway through last year, when Danny turned you down for a post-practice BJ.

I don't believe I was repeating the fastest team we have ever had. But I was responsible for to much positive. But it's better late than never and keep saying it. I think it's laughable he keeps talking about a national Championship when he hasn't won a conference tournament game going on 3 years now.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Online chris88

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2023, 07:11:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Really excited about the women's team. Men's team is a wait and see proposition. No problem with pre-season optimism, but we have heard this song before.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, herdorbust2

Offline goherd24

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 10:41:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You were the one telling us that crap every single year.. Until about halfway through last year, when Danny turned you down for a post-practice BJ.

Hahaha. Nailed it.

I like what I have seen of the new guys. I hated losing taylor, not so much Micah, but we can't pay players that kind of money so it is what it is. We can still win as a team, and sounds like defensively, we're turning it up a notch. I heard Crawford talking about full court man and love it. Love to see ua defensively smother people and create offense from it.

I'm not expecting us to be world beaters, but i am excited about seeing what we do. I'll be there regardless, just like football.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 10:50:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hahaha. Nailed it.

I like what I have seen of the new guys. I hated losing taylor, not so much Micah, but we can't pay players that kind of money so it is what it is. We can still win as a team, and sounds like defensively, we're turning it up a notch. I heard Crawford talking about full court man and love it. Love to see ua defensively smother people and create offense from it.

I'm not expecting us to be world beaters, but i am excited about seeing what we do. I'll be there regardless, just like football.

But you only seem to bitch about football lol!!! Full court pressure? I've heard that every year since Danny got here. Watch the difference in the woman's team and the mens. The woman will get after it for 40 minutes. The men will be lucky to press 10 minutes if that. It's the same every year, all talk and one and done. And BTW Goran could get down to 170 and it won't help his hands. And Crawford is a 1.2 average points a game player you are getting excited about. It's going to be street ball at its best with few time outs or instruction. Go Herd!!!

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 10:55:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• But you only seem to bitch about football lol!!! Full court pressure? I've heard that every year since Danny got here. Watch the difference in the woman's team and the mens. The woman will get after it for 40 minutes. The men will be lucky to press 10 minutes if that. It's the same every year, all talk and one and done. And BTW Goran could get down to 170 and it won't help his hands. And Crawford is a 1.2 average points a game player you are getting excited about. It's going to be street ball at its best with few time outs or instruction. Go Herd!!!

That's about what James Kelly averaged before he came here too. Listen, we'll talk to Dan for you and see if he'll forgive you and let you back into practice, if you want.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 10:59:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's about what James Kelly averaged before he came here too. Listen, we'll talk to Dan for you and see if he'll forgive you and let you back into practice, if you want.

Funny how you always make excuses for basketball but not the same for football lol!!!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 11:02:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Funny how you always make excuses for basketball but not the same for football lol!!!

Not sure what excuses I've made that you've created in your little universe you live in. Call em like I see em. You're just a jealous little boy, mad at Danny. It's just....sad.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2023, 11:06:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not sure what excuses I've made that you've created in your little universe you live in. Call em like I see em. You're just a jealous little boy, mad at Danny. It's just....sad.

Well how many years you going to give Dan? You call Huff and the staff fools and go after them constantly. But Dan has been here ten years and Elmore led him to one NCAA. Other than that he has been pretty blah losing to every P5 he has played and can't seem to win a conference tournament game in a few years. But you still are all in.

Online svherd

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2023, 08:06:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope both programs do well. Not being close to either, I will say, it seem like the womens program is making a push to be much better and more competitive with the hiring of Caldwell. As for the men's, I've always appreciated what Dan did in 2018 and his extreme loyalty to our school; but I get the vibe that the men's side is on cruise control and just puttering along, with no sense of urgency to get better or win titles. I'm sure that's not the case, but it seems that way. jmho

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2023, 08:06:52 AM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2023, 08:28:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like what I have seen of the new guys. I hated losing taylor, not so much Micah, but we can't pay players that kind of money so it is what it is. We can still win as a team, and sounds like defensively, we're turning it up a notch. I heard Crawford talking about full court man and love it. Love to see ua defensively smother people and create offense from it.

This is what gets me. What is the expectation?!?! One minute we have Dan talking about national championships but when we lose first round of the conference tournament, we get "well look at some of the positives during the season". Quite frankly (as a supporter of men's basketball), I want to set a high bar with the new conference we are in. There has been too much flim-flam when talking about the expectations of the program. One minute it is a low bar, then the next minute it is a high bar. Which is it??? The expectations are all over the place......and I am not talking about this season. It just seems lately that too much focus has been on Dan. I worry about Marshall basketball. We are 1-3 in conference tournaments lately with the only win being in an opening round against FIU. I don't like that we lose to Rice, LA Tech and Texas State in 1st round. In many ways, I question Dan's approach to practice the last few years as to whether we are tough enough when conference tournaments roll around. And it is Dan that makes no bones about that he is a players coach when it comes to approaching practice. No extra running to toughen them up mentally, practices generally over in 1.5 hours, more shooting than banging.....those are Dan's words, not mine.

Yeah, we can talk about full-court pressure. But if you are going to do that, then you must have "depth". And quite frankly, I haven't seen that portion be developed within the program lately. Either you have to move the roster OR you have to develop the guys better that weren't productive last season. You can't full-court people with a 6 or 7 man rotation.

As far as moving "the defense up a notch".....he better get that defense moved up a few notches on the dial. We lost a lot of offensive production. I just don't think this team is built to win with offense only come late January and into February. I would like to see an extra half-hour of practice that we could use under NCAA guidelines to be used to work on defense only.

I like Dan a lot. This isn't personal. I look forward to each and every basketball season. But quite frankly, I think it is time that Dan do some things different with this program in terms of his approach to the game. Younger coaches tend to study the game more, use concepts that other successful coaches have done, expanded their recruiting base, attack the weakness of the team instead of using the same ole concepts. I haven't seen that lately out of Marshall basketball.

I wish the coaches and the players the best this season. When I can make it in on Saturdays, I will be there with excitement. But talking about championships and doing the things necessary to win them are two different things. Quite frankly, I am ready for the latter and don't need to hear the talk.
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 08:30:37 AM by jdonaccbus »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, Flat Tire 2, Rockin Herd Fan

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2023, 08:46:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hear the "full court press" refrain going into every season.  Then when they try to do a full court press in a game and we find out that the team lacks the lateral movement for it to be effective.  I don't know Danny personally, I've never met the man and I don't have anything personal against him.  I thought it was a mistake to give him a 3-year contract extension.  Having said that, I hope he proves me wrong and the team wins the conference and I have to come back on here at the end of the season to eat a big plate of crow.  I always want Marshall to succeed.   

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, jdonaccbus, herdfan129

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2023, 09:01:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is what gets me. What is the expectation?!?! One minute we have Dan talking about national championships but when we lose first round of the conference tournament, we get "well look at some of the positives during the season". Quite frankly (as a supporter of men's basketball), I want to set a high bar with the new conference we are in. There has been too much flim-flam when talking about the expectations of the program. One minute it is a low bar, then the next minute it is a high bar. Which is it??? The expectations are all over the place......and I am not talking about this season. It just seems lately that too much focus has been on Dan. I worry about Marshall basketball. We are 1-3 in conference tournaments lately with the only win being in an opening round against FIU. I don't like that we lose to Rice, LA Tech and Texas State in 1st round. In many ways, I question Dan's approach to practice the last few years as to whether we are tough enough when conference tournaments roll around. And it is Dan that makes no bones about that he is a players coach when it comes to approaching practice. No extra running to toughen them up mentally, practices generally over in 1.5 hours, more shooting than banging.....those are Dan's words, not mine.

Yeah, we can talk about full-court pressure. But if you are going to do that, then you must have "depth". And quite frankly, I haven't seen that portion be developed within the program lately. Either you have to move the roster OR you have to develop the guys better that weren't productive last season. You can't full-court people with a 6 or 7 man rotation.

As far as moving "the defense up a notch".....he better get that defense moved up a few notches on the dial. We lost a lot of offensive production. I just don't think this team is built to win with offense only come late January and into February. I would like to see an extra half-hour of practice that we could use under NCAA guidelines to be used to work on defense only.

I like Dan a lot. This isn't personal. I look forward to each and every basketball season. But quite frankly, I think it is time that Dan do some things different with this program in terms of his approach to the game. Younger coaches tend to study the game more, use concepts that other successful coaches have done, expanded their recruiting base, attack the weakness of the team instead of using the same ole concepts. I haven't seen that lately out of Marshall basketball.

I wish the coaches and the players the best this season. When I can make it in on Saturdays, I will be there with excitement. But talking about championships and doing the things necessary to win them are two different things. Quite frankly, I am ready for the latter and don't need to hear the talk.

Great post!!! I like Adam personally also and he has been good to me. But he has proven to me that he isn't going to do what it takes to take Marshall up a notch. Yes he could lick out and win the Sun belt but that still doesn't make us a really good program. When he kept a third of the team that can't play D1 ball, that is when I threw in the towel. That told me all I need to know. And this full court press isn't the first time we heard it but it never happens over a few minutes. His teams are way too soft because like you said, that's how they practice.

The following users thanked this post: jdonaccbus

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2023, 09:01:41 AM »