Author Topic: Womens Basketball Team  (Read 1446 times)

Online herdorbust2

Re: Womens Basketball Team
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2023, 09:38:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope Kim can come in and do for woman's basketball what Grassie did for soccer or even close to it. It may take 2-3 years but I expect to see the woman's program have more success than its ever had before she is done.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, chris88, elginherd, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2023, 09:38:05 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2023, 10:09:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • both those press conferences were really good, good info from DD

Offline goherd24

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2023, 12:32:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is what gets me. What is the expectation?!?! One minute we have Dan talking about national championships but when we lose first round of the conference tournament, we get "well look at some of the positives during the season". Quite frankly (as a supporter of men's basketball), I want to set a high bar with the new conference we are in. There has been too much flim-flam when talking about the expectations of the program. One minute it is a low bar, then the next minute it is a high bar. Which is it??? The expectations are all over the place......and I am not talking about this season. It just seems lately that too much focus has been on Dan. I worry about Marshall basketball. We are 1-3 in conference tournaments lately with the only win being in an opening round against FIU. I don't like that we lose to Rice, LA Tech and Texas State in 1st round. In many ways, I question Dan's approach to practice the last few years as to whether we are tough enough when conference tournaments roll around. And it is Dan that makes no bones about that he is a players coach when it comes to approaching practice. No extra running to toughen them up mentally, practices generally over in 1.5 hours, more shooting than banging.....those are Dan's words, not mine.

Yeah, we can talk about full-court pressure. But if you are going to do that, then you must have "depth". And quite frankly, I haven't seen that portion be developed within the program lately. Either you have to move the roster OR you have to develop the guys better that weren't productive last season. You can't full-court people with a 6 or 7 man rotation.

As far as moving "the defense up a notch".....he better get that defense moved up a few notches on the dial. We lost a lot of offensive production. I just don't think this team is built to win with offense only come late January and into February. I would like to see an extra half-hour of practice that we could use under NCAA guidelines to be used to work on defense only.

I like Dan a lot. This isn't personal. I look forward to each and every basketball season. But quite frankly, I think it is time that Dan do some things different with this program in terms of his approach to the game. Younger coaches tend to study the game more, use concepts that other successful coaches have done, expanded their recruiting base, attack the weakness of the team instead of using the same ole concepts. I haven't seen that lately out of Marshall basketball.

I wish the coaches and the players the best this season. When I can make it in on Saturdays, I will be there with excitement. But talking about championships and doing the things necessary to win them are two different things. Quite frankly, I am ready for the latter and don't need to hear the talk.
    The expectation is to win 20+ games and win the %^&* conference. Period. Especially in the sunbelt. He is the only one to do it in 40 years and i hope he'll deliver it this season or move on.

Not expecting us to be world beaters is my personal take, i don't think we will have the team to win the conference, but I hope we do. I'll be super impressed if we do.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline goherd24

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2023, 12:35:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope Kim can come in and do for woman's basketball what Grassie did for soccer or even close to it. It may take 2-3 years but I expect to see the woman's program have more success than its ever had before she is done.
    Kim is a winner and she is running them to death.
    In the words of herb brooks, - we might not be the best team, but I promise you, we will be the best conditioned team -

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herdorbust2

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2023, 01:10:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The expectation is to win 20+ games and win the %^&* conference. Period. Especially in the sunbelt. He is the only one to do it in 40 years and i hope he'll deliver it this season or move on.

Not expecting us to be world beaters is my personal take, i don't think we will have the team to win the conference, but I hope we do. I'll be super impressed if we do.

Teams now play 31 games. So 20-11 isn't anything impressive. And winning the SB is good, I wouldn't call it impressive. This conference is wide open for anyone to put some real effort into basketball and rule this league. But I'm glad you say he has to win the conference or he has to go.

Offline parshall2marshall

Years ago
    « Reply #30 on: October 04, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Many years ago, I posted - perhaps on this Board ( in it's primordial state ) or another board - that women's basketball could become YUGE at Marshall. Verbiage from a fictional interview with a fictional AD included, "We had no idea that women's basketball would become this big." (paraphrased).

I remember another poster stated that they thought they might save a copy of that post [for future reference].

Now we finally have a WBB coaching hire that, if retained, could make that dream into a reality.

"I can't remember when things were easy." - Esther Spencer ( Sian Barbara Allen ) - Billy Two Hats (1974)

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2023, 02:49:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we have a great coach and really got the right person. I do think, however, that for year 1 we need to pump the breaks on the excitement a little bit. Kim inherited a very good womens program with a good history at Glenville. Yes she is a great coach and I love that our program is in her hands, but sadly believe it will take a couple years for her to get her girls in and her system really running full tilt. Think that we may not meet expectations this year but don?t lose faith . She will turn this program around .

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, jdonaccbus, herdorbust2

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2023, 06:29:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we have a great coach and really got the right person. I do think, however, that for year 1 we need to pump the breaks on the excitement a little bit. Kim inherited a very good womens program with a good history at Glenville. Yes she is a great coach and I love that our program is in her hands, but sadly believe it will take a couple years for her to get her girls in and her system really running full tilt. Think that we may not meet expectations this year but don?t lose faith . She will turn this program around .

Agreed it will take a few years but I think we will see instant change in terms of style and culture. I think women?s basketball can get to the point of averaging 2-3k/game if we build a consistent winner.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline goherd24

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2023, 07:03:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Teams now play 31 games. So 20-11 isn't anything impressive. And winning the SB is good, I wouldn't call it impressive. This conference is wide open for anyone to put some real effort into basketball and rule this league. But I'm glad you say he has to win the conference or he has to go.
    I've always said that, but you ignored it. But yes, 20 games won is still an accomplishment you want to hit, even today,  that many teams do not see.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2023, 07:09:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've always said that, but you ignored it. But yes, 20 games won is still an accomplishment you want to hit, even today,  that many teams do not see.

Same as going 8-4 in football. Hope you are ok with that since football is much tougher in the SB.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline coalherd

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2023, 08:09:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree that 20 wins should be a minimum goal/floor pretty much year in and year out, unless the team has a big hit in terms of several significant departures from a previous season's successful team.  Certainly not the accomplishment it was, say, when Coach D. played and the regular season game limit was TWENTY-FOUR!!  But still is a positive factor, IMO.

Many may have forgotten that last season was pretty darn successful as the HERD got 24 wins in regular play.  All that was quickly forgotten, however, when the team laid a BIG WTF egg in the opening game of the SBC tournament.  A win or two in that tourney and MU would have ended up with 26 wins, not counting any other potential post season tourney play!!

With a 26 win season, including tourney wins, in 2022-23, I believe a lot of HERD fans mindsets and outlooks for this season would have been quite different at this point, as well as more positive.  Guys, 26 WINS in a Marshall men's basketball season is not an everyday, common occurrence.  As a guy once said, "You can look it up"!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online elginherd

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2023, 08:22:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree that 20 wins should be a minimum goal/floor pretty much year in and year out, unless the team has a big hit in terms of several significant departures from a previous season's successful team.  Certainly not the accomplishment it was, say, when Coach D. played and the regular season game limit was TWENTY-FOUR!!  But still is a positive factor, IMO.

Many may have forgotten that last season was pretty darn successful as the HERD got 24 wins in regular play.  All that was quickly forgotten, however, when the team laid a BIG WTF egg in the opening game of the SBC tournament.  A win or two in that tourney and MU would have ended up with 26 wins, not counting any other potential post season tourney play!!

With a 26 win season, including tourney wins, in 2022-23, I believe a lot of HERD fans mindsets and outlooks for this season would have been quite different at this point, as well as more positive.  Guys, 26 WINS in a Marshall men's basketball season is not an everyday, common occurrence.  As a guy once said, "You can look it up"!!

Yeah.
    But the bigger deal was the WFT egg losing the regular season's last game when a win gets an NIT bid.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2023, 08:22:59 PM »

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #37 on: October 05, 2023, 09:27:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah.
    But the bigger deal was the WFT egg losing the regular season's last game when a win gets an NIT bid.

Oh great, thanks for reminding me about the DD double gas pipe to end last season

Appreciate you man lol

HerdFans.com

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2023, 09:27:34 PM »