Author Topic: New FBS Requirements:  (Read 600 times)

Offline herdfan129

New FBS Requirements:
« on: October 04, 2023, 11:39:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4/media-center-di-council-approves-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows.aspx

The council also adopted changes to membership requirements for Football Bowl Subdivision schools that:

- Eliminate attendance requirements at FBS schools (effective immediately).
    - Increase the application fee for transitioning from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million (effective immediately).
    - Require all FBS programs to provide 90% of the total number of allowable scholarships over a two-year rolling period across 16 sports, including football. FBS schools will also be required to fund 210 scholarships each year, amounting to no less than $6 million annually (effective August 2027).
    - For schools that begin transitioning to FBS in 2024-25 or later, requirements must be met by the conclusion of the transition process.

The 210 scholarships no less than $6 million per year. How does that effect us where the cost of attendance is cheaper than a lot of other places. Does this mean we must provide more scholarships to reach the $6 million?

I like the new changes. It?s currently been way too easy for teams to move up to FBS, but this specific rule might affect us.

Anyone know how many scholarships we currently provide and how much we spend on scholarships each year?
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

New FBS Requirements:
    « on: October 04, 2023, 11:39:29 PM »

Offline goherd24

Re: New FBS Requirements:
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 12:13:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I actually threw away the report i get for endowing a scholarship etc. I posted about it, but we currently do not fund every student athlete, we are around 100 short if i recall, and I can't remember the specifics. I'll try to find it

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 01:28:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I actually threw away the report i get for endowing a scholarship etc. I posted about it, but we currently do not fund every student athlete, we are around 100 short if i recall, and I can't remember the specifics. I'll try to find it

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Thank you. 100 short is a lot to come up with, especially considering ours are probably not costing $28k/year. So it?s possible we have to add over 100 new scholarships. Where does this come from and which sports end up receiving these?

Offline whf

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 10:28:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, I finally read this correctly; I think.

So the NCAA is moving to make participation in Football Bowl Subdivision football dependent on a universities ability to fund 210 total athletic scholarships, covering up to 16 sports, and totaling not less than $6 Million dollars a year.  This seems like a move to start the separation of football elites.  I suppose ESPN must be supportive of this, but in the years ahead, I actually see this being a significant contributor to the elimination of several minor bowls.

Someone with a better understanding, please detail where 210 scholarships would be placed if only 85 went to football.
    « Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 10:34:50 AM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online marshallmark

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 10:32:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thank you. 100 short is a lot to come up with, especially considering ours are probably not costing $28k/year. So it?s possible we have to add over 100 new scholarships. Where does this come from and which sports end up receiving these?

Some come from tuition waivers that the President controls.  Been happening since at least the '60s and a constant source of criticism from Southern PA University since it doesn't use waivers in that way. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 01:53:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, I finally read this correctly; I think.

So the NCAA is moving to make participation in Football Bowl Subdivision football dependent on a universities ability to fund 210 total athletic scholarships, covering up to 16 sports, and totaling not less than $6 Million dollars a year.  This seems like a move to start the separation of football elites.  I suppose ESPN must be supportive of this, but in the years ahead, I actually see this being a significant contributor to the elimination of several minor bowls.

Someone with a better understanding, please detail where 210 scholarships would be placed if only 85 went to football.

That's exactly how I read/understand it as well. I know it will make it more difficult to be FBS, but I think that's a good thing. I think we do have too many FBS football teams. We have what, 135 teams now?

I think 100 is closer to where we need to be. Charlotte, FIU, all the new CUSA call ups etc. They should all drop back down to FCS.

Offline Herdkrush

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 05:02:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but the total amount of scholarships offered for all sports that are offered at Marshall is 225. I believe we already meet that threshold assuming each sport is at their limit.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 09:27:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but the total amount of scholarships offered for all sports that are offered at Marshall is 225. I believe we already meet that threshold assuming each sport is at their limit.

Yeah, but the two main questions:

1. Do we offer all the scholarships? I could be wrong, but I don't think we do.

2. Are each of our scholarships equivalent to $28k/year? Once again, I could be wrong, but I don't think they are.

Offline ThunderDent

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 09:46:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm sure we'll do whatever it takes to find these.

Question is can other schools (CUSA, some in the SBC ?)
    And what happens to those that can't? Drop to FCS?

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 11:01:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Eventually FBS will consist of teams that either

1) have enough guaranteed conference contract TV money or
    2) sell enough tickets to fund themselves or
    3 have private donors that donate big regularly

And if you're not winning it's hard to keep big donors around.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 11:01:50 PM »