Author Topic: Pikeville vs Marshall  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Floridathunder

Re: Pikeville vs Marshall
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2023, 09:54:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What happened to Pete Moe?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2023, 09:54:24 AM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2023, 10:14:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ironically, both got Marshall placed on probation.

Yep for doing a tenth of what is being done today lol!!!

The following users thanked this post: wlf

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2023, 10:15:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What happened to Pete Moe?

I was told he missed 3 dunks in warmup. He was an urban legend. He can't play.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2023, 10:45:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I was told he missed 3 dunks in warmup. He was an urban legend. He can't play.

Were we told that Moe was DOMINANT over our players when he practiced with the guys for an eval ? Or was that story an urban legend.

BTW, Danny has hinted in interviews that we might expect big things from Derrick McKey's boy this year. Or at least that he was shooting the ball better. Certainly has the pedigree. Did he play against Pikeville ?
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2023, 10:52:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I was told he missed 3 dunks in warmup. He was an urban legend. He can't play.
    Please don?t take this the wrong way, but how miserable do you have to be to even report a fact like that? If it?s even true. All that was needed is kids not very good, which he isn?t, he is a walk on for a reason. The levels of negativity you display is mind blowing.

The following users thanked this post: HerdMan84, usedcars1, overherd1, REL70

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2023, 10:54:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I want to ask a valid question: why are we redshirting Toussaint and Braun, who are both juniors?

I will leave the question to be answered before I comment any further.

Yes, I do know that Braun had a big cast on his forearm back in June when I was at the Henderson Center. But that was 6 months ago.

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2023, 10:55:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Please don?t take this the wrong way, but how miserable do you have to be to even report a fact like that? If it?s even true. All that was needed is kids not very good, which he isn?t, he is a walk on for a reason. The levels of negativity you display is mind blowing.

Just trying to correct all the Pete Moe legendary reports. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

Offline wlf

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2023, 11:12:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ironically, both got Marshall placed on probation.
    Lee Moon got the best of Huckaby through Ridpath. Cheap shots.

You can't win without recruits, should've been prepared for NILs . Late in the game anyway you look at it.

Last year's defections might have broke me.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online Thundering In MD

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way you can play Goran against a team this small.
    Braun and Toussaint officially began their redshirt year Sunday

Why redshirt them?
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2023, 11:21:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dan could have left after the ncaa run but didn't. He was never leaving Marshall. This was his destination type job. No amount of money would change that for him. NIL is something that has screwed up much for our basketball team. Imagine the excitement with taylor and Micah coming back, with a couple transfers etc. and the rest of the guys. We had a couple players bought off and i still think Dan will put together a good, exciting team to watch on the floor. I don't think he is coach K but he is the best we have had in my lifetime for sure, and who knows what the next guy can do, but history tells me, far worse than what we have.

The college landscape has changed with the NIL situation. It has been hard on mid majors or low majors like MU. You have to adapt to change or you will be left behind. If dan can't come up with plan to address the change, he needs to get help or give it up and go to high school coaching.

If you want to make a difference, join the tip off club, come to the games. Don't jump off the ship when we are 0-0. Stop being so negative, just to be negative bust. I knew football was trash after I saw us play a few games, knew we'd be 4-4 right now, destined for a bad season. Maybe that will be the case for basketball. We might end up being a really bad marshall team. But we also MIGHT NOT.

I have been contributing to The Big Green Club and The MU foundation since the early 1970's. I worked with Coach Tolley when I was a stufent on the football "Stop The Streak" program before the plane crash. I did return to Huntington for a few years and worked with Coach Z to build support for the program.

You ran in here with a smile from ear to ear, excited to rip on the basketball team for a preseason game before halftime dude. That's the problem. I was devastated to be right about our football team and see us lose. Hated it. You love it, you are genuinely excited to see us fail so you can come trash Dan and the players.

I didn't rip on the basketball team yesterday, I just reported the score and the comments from the WMUL broadcasting crew. You just seem you to hate the football coach and love Dan, I am sorry I am not going to get knee pads and mouthwash for a coach. Your perspective seems to be blurred?

Just for once, maybe, just maybe, try to be optimistic. We lost a game to queens last year and played for the regular season title and NIT the very last game of the season, had a good year and you %^&* on them every chance you had. Support them for once.

I will be honest, I have always have my doubts about Dan since his high school coaching career was average at best and he had no college experience. I am old enough to remember Gerry Faust at Notre Dame, who won National High School Championships. He was fired by ND and had a losing record. Very few high school coaches make the transition to successful coaching.

I understand some of you think Dan is good coach, I get it. But look at his results. If you are happy with a coach who doesn't win championship and is finishing in the middle of the pack in the conference race, so be it. Too bad, you don't hold Dan to the same standard as Huff. I have experience in managing people in the business world and the military. Sometimes you have to let people go and improve the organization.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 01:29:23 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Stripeshrt, parshall2marshall, herdorbust2

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2023, 11:39:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way you can play Goran against a team this small.
    Braun and Toussaint officially began their redshirt year Sunday

No way?!?!?! So a 7-footer is useless against an undersized team.

And if Dan's logic was not to play him because he was too slow against an undersized NAIA team that has just recently down-graded to a weaker NAIA conference, then he won't be able to get up and down the floor against any type of D1 team with quality D1 athletes.

I guess my next question is why keep a 5th year senior around if he is "too big" for a NAIA squad?

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2023, 11:54:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe look at it this way.  I do not know the age of 24 or you, but I have never known MU basketball to be good or great.  Since I have started following MU sports, which was after I Graduated HS is 2002 they have been good some years and that's about it.  My view is that Dantoni has been the best coach if my lifetime.  I'm not some huge college bball fan either (even though it was always my favorite sport I played and coached).  Maybe he just has higher expectations and love for MU football.  Personally my expectations for basketball are very low and very high for football.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't know if you knew Dan Shoemaker, he was a great supporter for MU. He use to say that MU was a bad hire away from going down the tube. Unfortunately MU has made some really bad hires for coaching since 2002. Unlike football, you can turn around basketball in one season.  What troubles me about Dan is that he keeps people in his system that don't contribute after 3-4 years. There is no reason to be finishing in the middle of the conference over his career and keep him, unless you are happy with those results. He should be constantly improving the talent pool.

I read a post in anther thread where you questioned Huff's ability to coach players (rightly so). Serious question for you. Is the problem with Dan players poor recruiting or bad player development?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 11:57:29 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: wlf, herdfifteen, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2023, 11:54:17 AM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2023, 11:57:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way?!?!?! So a 7-footer is useless against an undersized team.

And if Dan's logic was not to play him because he was too slow against an undersized NAIA team that has just recently down-graded to a weaker NAIA conference, then he won't be able to get up and down the floor against any type of D1 team with quality D1 athletes.

I guess my next question is why keep a 5th year senior around if he is "too big" for a NAIA squad?

Good post. You can't make this stuff up. Wonder if Pat Ewing set against small opponents?

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2023, 12:29:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How many regular season titles do we have in basketball in the past 40 years that weren't vacated? How many conference titles? How many ncaa wins?

Dantoni has done a very good job overall, and is the best coach marshall has seen in 4 decades for mens basketball.
    You are delusional about DD. Divide 54 by eight and let me know the result. Best coach in four decades, are you that gullible?

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2023, 12:35:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No way?!?!?! So a 7-footer is useless against an undersized team.

My question is why RS braun and Toussaint. Anyone knows they will never be a major contributor. Then we are planning on giving Pruett a scholarship next year? There is 3 scholarships that are tied up again. Now we have a commit from a slow 6'10 kid. Wonder if he will be to slow and tall to play against a NAIA team?

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2023, 02:22:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are delusional about DD. Divide 54 by eight and let me know the result. Best coach in four decades, are you that gullible?

I agree, Donovan and Altman were at MU for a one and two seasons respectively. Billy had a better overall winning per percentage than Dan.  Look at their records since they left MU, multiple deep runs NCAA appearances and two national championships. Does anybody really think Dan could win a national championship if he was coaching at U of Florida? To think Dan is a better coach than those two needs to put the crack pipe down.

I am sure someone will bring Billy's loss to Davidson. Just remember Dan losing to Queens.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 02:32:41 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2023, 02:22:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My question is why RS braun and Toussaint. Anyone knows they will never be a major contributor. Then we are planning on giving Pruett a scholarship next year? There is 3 scholarships that are tied up again. Now we have a commit from a slow 6'10 kid. Wonder if he will be to slow and tall to play against a NAIA team?

They are redshirting them because they know they will not play. I would imagine it was probably the kids that asked for this so as not to burn year of eligibility and after the season will transfer out. Now you will rant about how we should have cut them (i agree but that is besides the point). the kids probably came back hoping to earn time, saw that they did not, so asked to redshirt to save eligibility. We have heard you complaing about DD not taking scholarships from the end of bench guys, so please save that. I was simply answering your question.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 02:28:39 PM by HerdFanatic304 »

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2023, 02:40:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last night's 30-point win was far from perfect. A ten minute stretch of poor play in the first half is enough to give this group plenty of things to work on.

On balance, though, the final numbers from the game offer some positives. The Herd shot well, 50% from the field, 45% from three, and 80% from the line. They handled the ball well, handing out 20 assists on 38 made shots and committing only 6 turnovers. Defensively, they held UPIKE to 38% shooting from the field, 33% from three, and out rebounded UPIKE 48-36.

Herd fans should expect all of these things when playing an out-manned NAIA squad, and in the end, we got them. What is notable is that in every statistical category outlined above, the Herd out-performed last year's team in its 83-69 win over UPIKE, with the exception of assists; the 20 assists last night matched the 20 assists in last year's contest. One other interesting stat - the 13 made threes last night matched the high water mark for made threes last year (13 against Miami and 13 against Coastal Carolina).

At this early juncture, it appears the coaching staff is considering a 9 man rotation - Curfman, Voyles, Obinna, Martin, Conner, Crawford, Fricks, Nutter, and McKey. That is a bit deeper than last year's team, which went primarily with 7 guys. One might expect Goran to see spot duty against particularly big opposing centers. Of course, it is way too early to consider this as the team's final configuration.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, MUonium, overherd1, herdfan129

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2023, 02:46:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They are redshirting them because they know they will not play. I would imagine it was probably the kids that asked for this so as not to burn year of eligibility and after the season will transfer out. Now you will rant about how we should have cut them (i agree but that is besides the point). the kids probably came back hoping to earn time, saw that they did not, so asked to redshirt to save eligibility. We have heard you complaing about DD not taking scholarships from the end of bench guys, so please save that. I was simply answering your question.

Should be running a D1 program and not a daycare center.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2023, 02:50:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree, Donovan and Altman were at MU for a one and two seasons respectively. Billy had a better overall winning per percentage than Dan.  Look at their records since they left MU, multiple deep runs NCAA appearances and two national championships. Does anybody really think Dan could win a national championship if he was coaching at U of Florida? To think Dan is a better coach than those two needs to put the crack pipe down.

I am sure someone will bring Billy's loss to Davidson. Just remember Dan losing to Queens.

Well Goherd24 did rave about Goran having one game lol!!! Heck Huck was better than Dan also.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Offline Collis P

« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2023, 02:58:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Last night's 30-point win was far from perfect. A ten minute stretch of poor play in the first half is enough to give this group plenty of things to work on.

On balance, though, the final numbers from the game offer some positives. The Herd shot well, 50% from the field, 45% from three, and 80% from the line. They handled the ball well, handing out 20 assists on 38 made shots and committing only 6 turnovers. Defensively, they held UPIKE to 38% shooting from the field, 33% from three, and out rebounded UPIKE 48-36.

Herd fans should expect all of these things when playing an out-manned NAIA squad, and in the end, we got them. What is notable is that in every statistical category outlined above, the Herd out-performed last year's team in its 83-69 win over UPIKE, with the exception of assists; the 20 assists last night matched the 20 assists in last year's contest. One other interesting stat - the 13 made threes last night matched the high water mark for made threes last year (13 against Miami and 13 against Coastal Carolina).

At this early juncture, it appears the coaching staff is considering a 9 man rotation - Curfman, Voyles, Obinna, Martin, Conner, Crawford, Fricks, Nutter, and McKey. That is a bit deeper than last year's team, which went primarily with 7 guys. One might expect Goran to see spot duty against particularly big opposing centers. Of course, it is way too early to consider this as the team's final configuration.

Really - comparing game stats with last year.......    Lets hope the comparison in March is - 24 wins - playing for a league championship, and winning the 1st Tournament game...........
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 03:02:11 PM by Collis P »
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Flat Tire 2, herdfifteen, herdorbust2

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2023, 03:31:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some other exhibition game outcomes of note to Herd fans:

So. Miss hosted and lost to Mississippi St. over the weekend 60-54. Andy Taylor did not suit up for the game against his former Sun Belt and CUSA rival due to a "personal matter." Also missing in action was the Sun Belt's highest-rated incoming portal player, Andre Curbelo. Curbelo spent two stormy seasons at Illinois and St. John's before being shown the door by Rick Pitino when he took over the Redmen this spring. Curbelo also got himself suspended from the Puerto Rican National Team over the summer for "failing to comply with the standards of conduct." It remains to be seen whether the NCAA will grant Curbelo's request for a waiver/second transfer to So. Miss; the vast majority of such requests have been denied (see Raequan Battle at WVU).

ODU handled D2 Virginia St. 80-59.

Georgia So. was upset by D2 Augusta 82-77 in new coach Charlie Henry's debut. Henry spent the last couple of years under Nate Oats at Alabama. In Georgia So.'s defense, Augusta is perennially a top-20 D2 squad.

Georgia St. thumped D2 Morehouse 92-66. In seeking a fresh start from last year's disastrous season, second year coach Jonas Hayes started 5 portal transfers against the Maroon Tigers.

Arkansas St. got new coach Bryan Hodgson's tenure off to a roaring start by blitzing Trevecca Nazarene 112-61. A name familiar to Herd recruiting junkies, Taryn Todd, chipped in 22 points. Hodgson also coached with Nate Oats at Alabama last year, and recruited most of the top talents for the Crimson Tide. His recruiting prowess caused 247Sports to rank him as the nation's #2 recruiter. I saw his interview at the Sun Belt media days, and he was very impressive. It is notable that Hodgson was the coach who offered Herd commit Will Moore a scholarship to 'Bama in 2022. I am told that Hodgson tried to interest Moore in Arkansas St. after being hired, but Moore had shifted his sights to other suitors. But overall, Hodgson has attracted a very impressive list of portal transfers to go with 4 returning starters, making the Red Wolves a true league dark horse this year (a la So. Miss last year). They must first survive a brutal pre-conference slate that includes at Wisconsin, at Iowa, at Alabama, home to UAB, at Louisville, and at Belmont. The Herd and the Red Wolves do not meet during the regular season.

Former Herdster Micah Handlogten started in Florida's exhibition win over FIU 102-60. He tallied 8 points and 10 rebounds in 20 minutes of action.

Finally, it should not go unnoticed that Rick Pitino's St. John's squad lost an exhibition to D2 Pace University 63-59.

The following users thanked this post: Luke80, Stripeshrt, goherd73, parshall2marshall, chris88, wlf, MUonium, overherd1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2023, 03:31:20 PM »

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2023, 05:22:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lee Moon got the best of Huckaby through Ridpath. Cheap shots.

You can't win without recruits, should've been prepared for NILs . Late in the game anyway you look at it.

Last year's defections might have broke me.

I know a lot of the inside information about both coaches and their paths to probation.  Huckabay's transgressions were a LOT more egregious than were Bobby's.  And Ridpath sold Bobby down the lane, not Huck.  You're right that Lee never got along with Huck, but Huck made his own bed. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline mualum

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2023, 06:35:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They are redshirting them because they know they will not play. I would imagine it was probably the kids that asked for this so as not to burn year of eligibility and after the season will transfer out. Now you will rant about how we should have cut them (i agree but that is besides the point). the kids probably came back hoping to earn time, saw that they did not, so asked to redshirt to save eligibility. We have heard you complaing about DD not taking scholarships from the end of bench guys, so please save that. I was simply answering your question.

I would like to know too.  It is a fair question to ask and your guess as to why is reasonable.  The explanation will come out sooner or later, perhaps preceded by rumors.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2023, 08:03:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Were we told that Moe was DOMINANT over our players when he practiced with the guys for an eval ? Or was that story an urban legend.

BTW, Danny has hinted in interviews that we might expect big things from Derrick McKey's boy this year. Or at least that he was shooting the ball better. Certainly has the pedigree. Did he play against Pikeville ?
    There was absolutely no truth to that rumor. I read that 2 weeks before he even visited.  Danny told him from the get go that he had no scholarship and was not promising one.   He offered a walk on spot and the opportunity to win a scholarship from there. To this point I've seen nothing to warrant one, but the season is young

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, parshall2marshall, REL70

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2023, 08:03:42 PM »