Author Topic: 27 of 41  (Read 958 times)

Offline whf

27 of 41
« on: October 30, 2023, 02:23:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just did a very quick review of the roster, playing time in the last three games.  27 of the 41 players who I recall playing in those games were first year players at Marshall, or playing in their first significant playing roles.  Reduce that remaining 14 by four on the O line and three on the D line (7 more), and that leaves 7 skill position players who could be called "contributors" last year or before.  I'd say the patchwork quilt is ripped significantly right now.  When you're playing true freshman in key defensive roles, sometimes two at a time, you know you're in trouble; no matter how good they may be some time ahead.  Just think of the void in talent being groomed; how would you like to be a third year player at MU without playing time right now?

Honestly, when I re-watch the games, kind of like breaking down film, I feel a bit sorry for Huff (shoot me if you'd like).  It isn't his role to make sure the players know their assignments and play together, that's the position and coordinator coaches role. Jason Semore, Shannon Morrison (ouch) and Chevis Jackson, they have some work cut out for themselves.
    « Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:16:30 AM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: Big City, parshall2marshall, svherd, muherd34

HerdFans.com

27 of 41
    « on: October 30, 2023, 02:23:00 PM »

Offline elginherd

Re: 27 of 41
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 03:28:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I must did a very quick review of the roster, playing time in the last three games.  27 of the 41 players who I recall playing in those games were first year players at Marshall, or playing in their first significant playing roles.  Reduce that remaining 14 by four on the O line and three on the D line (7 more), and that leaves 7 skill position players who could be called "contributors" last year or before.  I'd say the patchwork quilt is ripped significantly right now.  When you're playing true freshman in key defensive roles, sometimes two at a time, you know you're in trouble; no matter how good they may be some time ahead.  Just think of the void in talent being groomed; how would you like to be a third year player at MU without playing time right now?

Honestly, when I re-watch the games, kind of like breaking down film, I feel a bit sorry for Huff (shoot me if you'd like).  It isn't his role to make sure the players know their assignments and play together, that's the position and coordinator coaches role. Jason Semore, Shannon Morrison (ouch) and Chevis Jackson, they have some work cut out for themselves.

I do agree with this.
    Additionally, it's the players' role to make sure the players know their assignments.

Your point regarding the freshman in key positions, where are all the portal players?
    IMO, just about all the complaints about 'coaching' & 'play-calling', etc stem from the lack of talent & football IQ of the roster.

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline puma

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 03:38:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff hiring coordinators with no experience in those roles should have been a huge red flag and never should have happened. But ultimately the buck stops with him.

Offline svherd

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 03:57:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff hiring coordinators with no experience in those roles should have been a huge red flag and never should have happened. But ultimately the buck stops with him.

This is the issue I have had all along. His staff is young in experience overall, and the coordinator jobs are very inexperienced. We are seeing the results, especially on offense. When you hire an HC, you better look at his connections and a list of who he would like to bring on board. That is as important as the HC choice himself. jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, whf

Offline MCA23

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 04:34:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff is not a good coach.  He recruited and developed these players too.  His in game decision maing has been pretty sub par throughout his time here.

Also what do you mean it's not his job to make sure the players are in the right spots.  Yes it is.  He's the coach.  That's what he's been paid to do.

I honestly can't grasp how there are still defenders of Huff at this point.  We are 2/3's of the way through his 3rd year as the head coach and we are continuing to regress from when he took over.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, Buffalo Bop, ed swain, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline elginherd

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 04:54:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff is not a good coach.  He recruited and developed these players too.  His in game decision maing has been pretty sub par throughout his time here.

Also what do you mean it's not his job to make sure the players are in the right spots.  Yes it is.  He's the coach.  That's what he's been paid to do.

I honestly can't grasp how there are still defenders of Huff at this point.  We are 2/3's of the way through his 3rd year as the head coach and we are continuing to regress from when he took over.

Neither WHF or I are defending Huff.

The following users thanked this post: whf

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 05:04:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff said himself that his backup qb's have not been prepared to play.  Well who is responsible for that?

TRS
    MU 71

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, yogiherd, forphase1, parshall2marshall, svherd, HerdEcon, wasbarryb, ed swain

Offline whf

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 05:11:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, knit pick all you'd like, but everyone knows exactly what I said is correct; on a day by day basis, one PERSON can not be held directly responsible for the performance of 105, plus the coaches.  That's why there is an organization that includes heirarchy of accountabilties and responsibilities. Huff, IMHO, is responsible for the hiring and evaluation of his coaches, but he can not be accountable for the performance of every player every day.  And as Elginherd said, I'm not defending him, his accountability is now to correct the coaches decisions and coach them for/toward better results.  Again, my opinion.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, Big City, svherd, muherd34, elginherd

Offline mu1995

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 05:39:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting point on the inexperience on the team.  I will say that a good coach intervenes in these instances and directs coordinators, particularly defenses to go with base defensive sets.  Simplify what the player has to know.

Also a great deal of general coaching blunders.  In almost every game we struggle getting plays called.  In almost every game we blow timeouts or get delay of game penalties.  We also see instances such as the game against Coastal where every person knew that the backup QB was more a pure run threat yet we continuously ran a nickel defensive set.  Also examples like when teams went up tempo and we never adjusted our defensive play calling and were continually caught with players looking to the sidelines while the ball is being snapped.The play calling overall also make me question whether we game plan for opponents at all. Saw the same issue with Snyder and Doc.  We ran what we wanted to run no matter what the strength or weaknesses of the opposing team dictated.  Plenty of evidence that poor coaching is part of the equation. I will say in the case of Notre Dame it seemed like we saw one of the few instances of coaching against the other teams tendencies.  Unfortunately it has not extended to other games.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 05:44:23 PM by mu1995 »
    I don't like to lose, and that isn't so much because it is just a football game, but because defeat means the failure to reach your objective. I don't want a football player who doesn't take defeat to heart, who laughs it off with the thought, 'Oh, well, there's another Saturday.' The trouble in American life today, in business as well as in sports, is that too many people are afraid of competition. The result is that in some circles people have come to sneer at success if it costs hard work and training and sacrifice.- Knute Rockne

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online banker

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 08:14:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I must did a very quick review of the roster, playing time in the last three games.  27 of the 41 players who I recall playing in those games were first year players at Marshall, or playing in their first significant playing roles.  Reduce that remaining 14 by four on the O line and three on the D line (7 more), and that leaves 7 skill position players who could be called "contributors" last year or before.  I'd say the patchwork quilt is ripped significantly right now.  When you're playing true freshman in key defensive roles, sometimes two at a time, you know you're in trouble; no matter how good they may be some time ahead.  Just think of the void in talent being groomed; how would you like to be a third year player at MU without playing time right now?

It was Huff?s call to go heavy on the portal the last two years. That leads to high turnover when you are bringing in a lot of guys with 1-2 years eligibility left.  The other downside is you are bringing those guys in to contribute immediately meaning you have to invest your time in them rather than the younger players because they have to learn everything from terminology to the playbook.  Bill Snyder made it work with JUCOs at Kansas State, and Troy use to do it back in the day, but not many went the heavy JUCO route and the portal is the same to me.

I still believe you should be taking 20-25 HS kids a year and filling very specific short term needs through the portal. When you bring in portal guys to make up over half your DL rotation, for example, you are going to have a revolving door.

I would rather have a kid who has redshirted here, sees some limited snaps for a year or two and then is ready to be a major contributor in years 4-5. He will be a known commodity and much further along in the understanding of the system.

I guess when you only plan on being a coach somewhere for a few years before leaving you care less about that kind of stuff.

The following users thanked this post: whf, chris88, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline coalherd

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 09:08:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Currently, we have SO MANY Deficiencies at SO MANY Positions that it's hard to find fault with anyone BUT the Head Coach and many of the staff of assistants he has in place!!

Season's half over and he and his staff still DO NOT have in place adequate and quality back-ups at key positions, like Quarterback!!  Right now, we have essentially positions collectively which are very sub-par week after week going up against other SBC competition.  In my book, one glaring example is our entire wide receiver Corps!!  No reliable go to receiver; virtually every wide out we have cannot get separation pass play after pass play.  Even if we had better and more experienced passers in our QB Corps, they would still find it difficult to locate receivers who are open on our pass plays!!  Mainly because there just not that many HERD receivers who can manage to get OPEN on most of our pass plays!!

Then, there is our DEFENSE which, on the whole, manages to get gouged, burned, etc., game after game for long gains by our opponents, either through the Air, or on the ground.  But hey, this is the defense led by Huff's hand-picked D Coordinator.  Then, of course, there is the season long inconsistent O Line play.  But my thoughts on why MU keeps getting saddled with an over the hill, overrated retread of a So-so Line Coach like former NEER Bill Legg are well known.  Man must have so many well-connected political connections in Charleston that have a lot of dirt on some prominent folks in the MU Administration is all I can figure.

If our season continues on the same path, and Huff returns in 2024, then there must be significant shake-up in his staff, IMO.  However, if he will essentially be a "Walking Dead" head coach next season, it is doubtful that MU could attract a significantly improved bunch of assistants to come for what many would view as a one year's job opportunity!!

The following users thanked this post: ThunderCat98, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline herd2win

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 09:22:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't get paid almost $1 million a year to know the formula but whatever Huff is doing is not working.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 09:22:28 PM »

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 09:26:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we look good.  With that said, I hope you coddlers feel better!

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 10:28:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Kind of like breaking down film

Lol .. thats hilarious

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023, 08:47:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, knit pick all you'd like, but everyone knows exactly what I said is correct; on a day by day basis, one PERSON can not be held directly responsible for the performance of 105, plus the coaches.  That's why there is an organization that includes heirarchy of accountabilties and responsibilities. Huff, IMHO, is responsible for the hiring and evaluation of his coaches, but he can not be accountable for the performance of every player every day.  And as Elginherd said, I'm not defending him, his accountability is now to correct the coaches decisions and coach them for/toward better results.  Again, my opinion.

Are you employed? Have you ever been employed in a position of leadership? I'm guessing not, because anyone that has can tell you that one person can - and in most cases will - be held responsible for everything that happens under them. That's the nature of having a hierarchy in any field, whether it's the corporate world or college athletics. So, no, not everyone knows that what you're saying is "correct," because it most certainly isn't on a very fundamental level.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 08:55:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sadly Huff needs to go. Why do some say at least a staff shake up? Do you not think he put together the best staff he could? My biggest surprise is his recruiting. And especially his willingness to go with the QBs we have. Not being able to land a real transfer that could play is his downfall. This team needs so many things it would be almost impossible to correct in one year. QBs and WRs are awful. What will the defense look like next year after we lose the rest of the goods ones? And his offensive scheme is as bad or worse than Docs and that is bad. Things are looking bleak in both of our major sports.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2023, 08:57:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are you employed? Have you ever been employed in a position of leadership? I'm guessing not, because anyone that has can tell you that one person can - and in most cases will - be held responsible for everything that happens under them. That's the nature of having a hierarchy in any field, whether it's the corporate world or college athletics. So, no, not everyone knows that what you're saying is "correct," because it most certainly isn't on a very fundamental level.
    You asked that question to the wrong person. He has tons of management experience.  I don't know you but I know WHF well and I have all the respect in the world for him.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, Big City

Offline elginherd

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 09:52:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sadly Huff needs to go. Why do some say at least a staff shake up? Do you not think he put together the best staff he could? My biggest surprise is his recruiting. And especially his willingness to go with the QBs we have. Not being able to land a real transfer that could play is his downfall. This team needs so many things it would be almost impossible to correct in one year. QBs and WRs are awful. What will the defense look like next year after we lose the rest of the goods ones? And his offensive scheme is as bad or worse than Docs and that is bad. Things are looking bleak in both of our major sports.

That's a fair question.
    Hiring is not really an exact science. In any regard, Huff hired what he felt was the best staff avilable at the time.

Offline muherd34

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 10:18:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's a fair question.
    Hiring is not really an exact science. In any regard, Huff hired what he felt was the best staff avilable at the time.

I agree, he hired the best staff that would work with him. 

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline whf

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 03:04:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kind of like breaking down film

Lol .. thats hilarious
    Have you ever had a role where you were responsible to break down game film?  I have, so yes, like breaking down film.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2023, 03:54:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just did a very quick review of the roster, playing time in the last three games.  27 of the 41 players who I recall playing in those games were first year players at Marshall, or playing in their first significant playing roles.  Reduce that remaining 14 by four on the O line and three on the D line (7 more), and that leaves 7 skill position players who could be called "contributors" last year or before.  I'd say the patchwork quilt is ripped significantly right now.  When you're playing true freshman in key defensive roles, sometimes two at a time, you know you're in trouble; no matter how good they may be some time ahead.  Just think of the void in talent being groomed; how would you like to be a third year player at MU without playing time right now?

You still ?kind of like breaking down film? ?
    Tell us what else you have surmised Vince

Offline goherd24

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2023, 11:10:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

???? Actually, the HC is the only man, that is 100% accountable for what happens in a football program.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, whf, Buffalo Bop, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2023, 11:10:36 PM »

Offline whf

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2023, 12:58:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You still ?kind of like breaking down film? ?
    Tell us what else you have surmised Vince
    Do you wake up each morning to see what %^&* you can stir up?  That seems to be all you're any good at.  Only thing is most folks, including me, won't bite.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, muherd34

Offline whf

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2023, 01:04:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ???? Actually, the HC is the only man, that is 100% accountable for what happens in a football program.
    100% agree for a different time span than the coordinators, position coaches, etc.  I'm pretty sure, like any other organization, that the daily execution of things falls to others.  He pays the price, over time, for their performance.  But if anyone things a leader of 105 people is speaking to all of them on a daily basis, coaching them directly, not delegating and setting expectations of others, they're most likely mistaken. 

Offline goherd24

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 02:01:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 100% agree for a different time span than the coordinators, position coaches, etc.  I'm pretty sure, like any other organization, that the daily execution of things falls to others.  He pays the price, over time, for their performance.  But if anyone things a leader of 105 people is speaking to all of them on a daily basis, coaching them directly, not delegating and setting expectations of others, they're most likely mistaken.

Nope but he is still responsible for it, regardless. I once had a team of 50 people, with 5 subordinate managers for that team. Not a day went by that I did not speak with all 5 of them, and their teams. And i did my best to meet with every member of that team weekly, and the struggling ones i met with regularly to coach and try to get improvements etc. Ultimately, my teams performance was my responsibility. There was never a time where I ever blamed anyone but me for any shortcoming, of which, we had few.

Huff has no excuse for failure, except he is failing, period. He either will take the steps to get better, or he won't. Based on what he has done over 3 seasons, I'm betting he won't.

The following users thanked this post: whf, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 02:01:23 PM »