Author Topic: Women's soccer coach relieved of duties  (Read 767 times)

Offline chris88

Women's soccer coach relieved of duties
« on: October 31, 2023, 08:06:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Season started promising at 5-0-1 but they only won 2 SB matches.

Feel bad as Swann seems like a great person who cared a lot about the program and players. Blessings to him and his family.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

HerdFans.com

Women's soccer coach relieved of duties
    « on: October 31, 2023, 08:06:03 AM »

Online herd2win

Re: Women's soccer coach relieved of duties
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 08:15:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He could be a scape goat to keep the focus away from the 2 coaches that should actually be let go.

The following users thanked this post: s1uggo

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 08:23:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He could be a scape goat to keep the focus away from the 2 coaches that should actually be let go.

Hope the AD isn't that dense.  Having tossed several to the curb, keeping Huff and DD just makes him look lame.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online svherd

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The womens team wasn't competitive for the most part. Slow and not as skilled as other teams. They had a weak OOC to gain some momentum but league play was brutal. Maybe look at one of the mens staffers to take it over. There is enough talent in Ohio, KY, VA and some in WV to make a very competitive team. Reach into in NC and should have plenty of talent options.
    Just not enough progress. Wish he and his family the best. I'm sure he'll land somewhere.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, ThunderCat98

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 08:44:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hope the AD isn't that dense.  Having tossed several to the curb, keeping Huff and DD just makes him look lame.

100%

What's the point of paying an AD that doesn't have the stones to do what must be done?

Get on with it......time to see if Spears can make good hires

Go Herd!

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Online MUsince96

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 09:02:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Doubtful.

How many people say "Man, we really needed to get rid of Huff or Dan but at least we fixed women's soccer" ?

It's unrelated.

The following users thanked this post: s1uggo, MUonium, BigJimslade

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 09:03:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doubtful.

How many people say "Man, we really needed to get rid of Huff or Dan but at least we fixed women's soccer"

It's unrelated.

100% this.  Not the same thing.  Approximately 20 people care about one and thousands care about the others.

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 09:14:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The writing was on the wall for this.

When I saw this play, I knew he was toast - what the heck is going on with that back line? 

https://twitter.com/appstatewsoccer/status/1711094476721295424

If we are going to be soccer school Marshall, then there needs to be drastic changes.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online herd2win

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 09:49:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doubtful.

How many people say "Man, we really needed to get rid of Huff or Dan but at least we fixed women's soccer" ?

It's unrelated.

I guess the joke went over some peoples head.

Online MUsince96

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 10:06:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I guess the joke went over some peoples head.

Right. Hard to tell sometimes...

Offline MUonium

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 10:23:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's clear that the AD is slowly making changes (nice words) as appropriate.  question is valid- will he (and Smith) be consistent across the board when it comes to all head coaches?

Online marshallmark

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 11:29:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • it's clear that the AD is slowly making changes (nice words) as appropriate.  question is valid- will he (and Smith) be consistent across the board when it comes to all head coaches?

Apples/oranges.

Women's soccer had underperformed for years.  Both of the last 2 head coaches achieved mediocrity in their best years, and its apparent to anyone watching the team that the talent level overall has slipped.  A change needed to be made.

With football and basketball, MU has had some moderate and recent success.  Maybe not as much as we all would like, but its been there.  The question is:  When does the past success get overridden by current concerns and losing.  Add the pressure of needing winning programs to fund the athletic department, and then the question become complex. 

Remember, Jack Cook only won 55% of his games at Marshall but was beloved because he had some periodic success at the NCAA level and because he had to overcome crazy adversity to win even that many.  I might argue that in the major sports, MU is encountering some of the same headwinds, not because of facilities but b/c of the NIL issue.  FB and men's basketball need to outperform what might otherwise be expected given the lack of NIL resources we have. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd, elginherd, REL70

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 11:29:40 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2023, 11:34:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apples/oranges.

Women's soccer had underperformed for years.  Both of the last 2 head coaches achieved mediocrity in their best years, and its apparent to anyone watching the team that the talent level overall has slipped.  A change needed to be made.

With football and basketball, MU has had some moderate and recent success.  Maybe not as much as we all would like, but its been there.  The question is:  When does the past success get overridden by current concerns and losing.  Add the pressure of needing winning programs to fund the athletic department, and then the question become complex. 

Remember, Jack Cook only won 55% of his games at Marshall but was beloved because he had some periodic success at the NCAA level and because he had to overcome crazy adversity to win even that many.  I might argue that in the major sports, MU is encountering some of the same headwinds, not because of facilities but b/c of the NIL issue.  FB and men's basketball need to outperform what might otherwise be expected given the lack of NIL resources we have.

So in basketball did queens have more nil money? ULMonroe? Asking for a friend.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1

Online marshallmark

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2023, 11:40:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• So in basketball did queens have more nil money? ULMonroe? Asking for a friend.

You have to look overall - the year Marshall beat Wichita State it lost an early season game to Morehead.  Heck, the 1972 best team in history lost to Morehead. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: REL70

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023, 11:43:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You have to look overall - the year Marshall beat Wichita State it lost an early season game to Morehead.  Heck, the 1972 best team in history lost to Morehead.

So you think Marshall is getting the best recruits it can at this time even with a different coach?

Offline MUonium

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 12:02:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apples/oranges.

part of your post appears to contradict your apples/oranges statement.  i'm not sure how my statement is as you describe.  i think you are saying the revenue sports help fund the other sports?  D'Antoni won 56% of his games in nine years.  Huff was at 55% after two years.  is it then appropriate, in this context, to ask if coach Grassie is recruiting on the back of NIL money or not? 

again, i ask- going forward, will the AD and President be consistent in the firing and hiring process?

Offline elginherd

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2023, 12:09:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't doubt that if MBB falls off the cliff, that DD will resign either under pressure or of his own accord.

That said, the constant comparison between FB & MBB is also apples & oranges.

The BB facilities are only now adequate. FB has been in a much better situation for awhile. (Both game time venues obviously are not great.)

At this moment, Huff would cost more upfront to fire. (Obviously, next season's ticket sales would figure into that arithmetic along with the big money donors' level of disgust, also.)

DD's last team came up one poor second half of a title last season...somewhat of an underperformance for sure.

Huff's Herd has not been in a similar discussion in his 2.72 seasons here...considering that Doc's last team's result was moderately disappointing, Huff's was hired to win at a higher level, and as such has significantly underperformed.

Replacement costs are no doubt a consideration. Can a better FB coach & staff be hired for approximately the same compensation has the current staff? (My guess is yes) Same question with DD...(my guess is no)

And yes politics matter, for better or worse. It is in Marshall's longer term interest not to piss off the D'Antoni's. 
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online marshallmark

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 12:14:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you think Marshall is getting the best recruits it can at this time even with a different coach?

Basketball?  Women's soccer?  Football?

In my lifetime, I can count on one hand the number of recruits that came here with pre-college credentials as a sure-fire talent.  Russell Lee, Mike D'Antoni, Tom Curry in basketball.  Randy and Jaquan Yulee were the only ones I can think of in football.  Men's soccer is off the charts with talent, but almost all are from outside the USA and wouldn't be on recruiting radar to us casual watchers.

Marshall has had to develop its great players.  Certainly Skip, Laverne Evans, Taevion, Shaq Johnson, J.R., Tamar and others came to Marshall with credentials but developed into major talents that could dominate the game at most levels.  Chad, Byron and Cato were all 'projects' that other schools didn't recognize.  Lots of other examples of that development as well on both sides of the ball and special teams.

I think Danny and to a lesser extent Huff have incredibly difficult jobs.  They want to recruit the best players that they can, but it has to be in the back of their minds that they could lose them to a program with more $$ at any time.  They also would like to develop players, but may not have the luxury of waiting on them to produce in year 2 or 3.  Danny has tried to balance that approach, but its clear that his best players this year are ones brought in through the portal so I'm curious whether he'll embrace that philosophy going forward.   

- E-Man

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 12:14:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't doubt that if MBB falls off the cliff, that DD will resign either under pressure or of his own accord.

That said, the constant comparison between FB & MBB is also apples & oranges.

The BB facilities are only now adequate. FB has been in a much better situation for awhile. (Both game time venues obviously are not great.)

At this moment, Huff would cost more upfront to fire. (Obviously, next season's ticket sales would figure into that arithmetic along with the big money donors' level of disgust, also.)

DD's last team came up one poor second half of a title last season...somewhat of an underperformance for sure.

Huff's Herd has not been in a similar discussion in his 2.72 seasons here...considering that Doc's last team's result was moderately disappointing, Huff's was hired to win at a higher level, and as such has significantly underperformed.

Replacement costs are no doubt a consideration. Can a better FB coach & staff be hired for approximately the same compensation has the current staff? (My guess is yes) Same question with DD...(my guess is no)

And yes politics matter, for better or worse. It is in Marshall's longer term interest not to piss off the D'Antoni's.

So we let the Dantoni's do what they want even without titles in a bad conference? Your money is more important than winning? Huntington and Marshall has always been afraid of change and we are where we are.

The following users thanked this post: coalherd

Online marshallmark

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • part of your post appears to contradict your apples/oranges statement.  i'm not sure how my statement is as you describe.  i think you are saying the revenue sports help fund the other sports?  D'Antoni won 56% of his games in nine years.  Huff was at 55% after two years.  is it then appropriate, in this context, to ask if coach Grassie is recruiting on the back of NIL money or not? 

again, i ask- going forward, will the AD and President be consistent in the firing and hiring process?

D'Antoni has won a conference championship.  And an NCAA game (first in program history).  That's success, whether you like him or not or whether you want there to be more of both or not.

Huff beat Va Tech.  He beat Notre Dame.  That's success, whether you like him or not or whether you want there to be more or not. 

I'm sure there's some NIL $ going to soccer, but I expect most of the players he recruits are looking forward to (a) moving to the USA and (b) playing at the top level of college here before moving on to pro soccer in the US or elsewhere.  Grassie has proven he can put players in pro leagues. 

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, REL70

Offline elginherd

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • part of your post appears to contradict your apples/oranges statement.  i'm not sure how my statement is as you describe.  i think you are saying the revenue sports help fund the other sports?  D'Antoni won 56% of his games in nine years.  Huff was at 55% after two years.  is it then appropriate, in this context, to ask if coach Grassie is recruiting on the back of NIL money or not? 

Have the ticket sales for MBB nose-dived like they did during the latter Doc seasons?
    Has Big Money come out with disgust with DD or Charles Huff?
    What are & were the expections of each program when hiring & in the current terms?
    Have the facilities been comparable for each sport? Are the now?

It's not realistic to expect complete consistency across all sports.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2023, 12:24:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Basketball?  Women's soccer?  Football?

In my lifetime, I can count on one hand the number of recruits that came here with pre-college credentials as a sure-fire talent.  Russell Lee, Mike D'Antoni, Tom Curry in basketball.  Randy and Jaquan Yulee were the only ones I can think of in football.  Men's soccer is off the charts with talent, but almost all are from outside the USA and wouldn't be on recruiting radar to us casual watchers.

Marshall has had to develop its great players.  Certainly Skip, Laverne Evans, Taevion, Shaq Johnson, J.R., Tamar and others came to Marshall with credentials but developed into major talents that could dominate the game at most levels.  Chad, Byron and Cato were all 'projects' that other schools didn't recognize.  Lots of other examples of that development as well on both sides of the ball and special teams.

I think Danny and to a lesser extent Huff have incredibly difficult jobs.  They want to recruit the best players that they can, but it has to be in the back of their minds that they could lose them to a program with more $$ at any time.  They also would like to develop players, but may not have the luxury of waiting on them to produce in year 2 or 3.  Danny has tried to balance that approach, but its clear that his best players this year are ones brought in through the portal so I'm curious whether he'll embrace that philosophy going forward.   

Understand what you are saying. But you don't think Goran, Marko, Braun, Toussaint, Mckey etc can't be replaced by better talent? You don't think it would be best in today's climate to go after, mainly, transfers with 2-3 years left and lock them in so they can't transfer without penalty? I used to love the days you got freshman and developed them. It's not like that now. Martin and Crawford should be how you recruit almost all your players. Freshman do you virtually no good. They either stay on the bench or they get good and move on most of the time. You will rarely see a kid that becomes good (Elmore and Kinsey) that will be here all 4 years or even 3 for that matter. Until Danny gets that thru his head he will continue to struggle.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2023, 12:24:12 PM »

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2023, 12:25:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you think Marshall is getting the best recruits it can at this time even with a different coach?

I'd just like to point out that for each of the last 7 consecutive years, you've had the opportunity to watch one of the two leading scorers in school history, and #32 and #33 all-time in NCAA history.  We should be retiring their jerseys some day.  Our attendance last season was a 40 year high.  And we'll be near the top of the SBC again this year despite certain negativities online. 

So from attendance, wins, stats, its fun style of play to watch, competitiveness, big money support - D'antoni's seat is not ever the least bit warm.  It's ice cold.  So enjoy our 20-win season this year...

The following users thanked this post: elginherd, REL70

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2023, 12:27:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd just like to point out that for each of the last 7 consecutive years, you've had the opportunity to watch one of the two leading scorers in school history, and #32 and #33 all-time in NCAA history.  We should be retiring their jerseys some day.  Our attendance last season was a 40 year high.  And we'll be near the top of the SBC again this year despite certain negativities online. 

So from attendance, wins, stats, its fun style of play to watch, competitiveness, big money support - D'antoni's seat is not ever the least bit warm.  It's ice cold.  So enjoy our 20-win season this year...

You get big scorers when you are aloud to launch shots any time any place. And it takes more than one guy to make a team. Enjoy the bench lol!!!! 20 wins? I'll mark this post.

Offline CoachMaclid

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 12:34:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So back to the women's soccer discussion this is supposed to be?

Can we lure Petsa Ivanovic back to Huntington?  He's won 2 men's conference titles at Bryant since he left our staff.  He's a highly successful field coach, but would he be able to recruit Marshall women's soccer as his roster there is highly international just like Marshall men's.  Women's soccer recruiting is different because international players are not better developed than top American talent, so you have to go after the All-American high school recruiting to win.

Have to also wonder if the press release's phasing of "synergies with the men's program" might mean its time that Josh Faga gets his own lead job?

The person having the most "Grassie-like" resume in the lower divisions is Jamie Gunderson at Christorpher Newport University.  He's recruiting in our geographic region of the country, and in three years he is undefeated as a coach with a 56-0-5 record.  Probably a little harder for him to replicate exactly what Grassie has done, but coaches who win tend to win wherever they go.

The following users thanked this post: goherd73

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 12:34:33 PM »