Author Topic: Huff leaves directly after this season & assistants/position coaches go as well  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 25-30 football players will portal, all the new recruits will de commit and we'll probably win 2 or 3 games in 2024.  I don't know the answer but rushing to the fire a guy isn't gonna be good in any way.

If you're a hot head coaching prospect, are you interested in taking a job that has no talent in the cupboard and the school just fired a coach for going 6-6 after two consecutive winning seasons?

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

HerdFans.com

Offline forphase1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 25-30 football players will portal, all the new recruits will de commit and we'll probably win 2 or 3 games in 2024.  I don't know the answer but rushing to the fire a guy isn't gonna be good in any way.

If you're a hot head coaching prospect, are you interested in taking a job that has no talent in the cupboard and the school just fired a coach for going 6-6 after two consecutive winning seasons?

Seriously?  You are worried about losing the 'talent' he has been bringing in?!?!?!?  Based on what I see from our OL, QB and WR play, let his recruits go somewhere else as they shouldn't be suiting up for us anyway.  Name me one guy on offense who if they leave would really hurt us, other than Ali obviously.  And firing him for going 6-6?  Looking more lie 4-8 to me!

Let's Go Herd! 

Final Rankings: 1999 - #10 (AP & ESPN), #12 (BCS); 2001 - #21 (ESPN); 2002 - #24 (AP), #19 (ESPN), 2014 - #22 (coaches), #23 (AP)

Championships: 1925 WVIAC, 1928 WVIAC, 1931 WVIAC, 1937 Buckeye Conference, 1988 Southern Conference, 1992 I-AA, 1994 Southern Conference, 1996 Southern Conference, 1996 I-AA (15-0), 1997 MAC, 1998 MAC, 1998 Motor City, 1999 MAC (13-0), 1999 Motor City, 2000 MAC, 2000 Motor City, 2001 GMAC, 2002 MAC, 2002 GMAC, 2009 Pizza Bowl, 2011 Beef O Brady Bowl, 2013 Military Bowl, 2014 Boca Raton Bowl, 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl, 2017 New Mexico Bowl, 2018 Gasparilla Bowl.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herd1990, ed swain, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herd2win

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone has to want you and we don't really have any eye popping players that others teams would want.  Dumb reason not to let Huff go if we continue to fold.

The following users thanked this post: forphase1, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline wasbarryb

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Someone has to want you and we don't really have any eye popping players that others teams would want.  Dumb reason not to let Huff go if we continue to fold.

Agreed.  Whenever Huff leaves, the new coach is going to face a major rebuilding project.  As with actual real buildings, putting off rebuilding usually just makes things worse.

Would like to see some kind of negotiated departure where we can reduce the buy out, but bye bye looks like the best option however it comes about.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Lord Haw-Haw

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • New coach can pull a Primetime.  Recruit new team.  Smart move. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is there even one assistant coach on this team we actually want to come back?

Offline parshall2marshall

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doesn't make me Criswell that I predicted Doc would not be back ( "I don't see how they can..." ), yet I am less certain what will be done with Huff.

But how can he be brought back with the ridiculous things Huff has stated in his press conferences ? Perhaps the most glaring being that he "was not going to endanger someone's child" when he had a QB running around on 1 leg for all to see with basically no OL. And not having a backup QB ready with 5 of them on the roster.

That Huff has limited people skills and apparently coaching contacts, which some on here have stated ... to me it means that if true we should cut our losses with Huff. Because the situation may not likely improve in rapid fashion.

May come down to money and commitment. Probably gonna take $ 2.5 to 3 MM *extra* to right the ship along with the sad realization we need a rebuild. I just don't see another way around it. Because there seems a real danger of totally losing the fanbase ( like we had to do with Herrion ).   
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Randy Moss would be interested in seeing if he could pull off a Deion? As unhappy as I am with our recent performance, I think Huff is our best shot.

Offline svherd

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Ralph Street. He's done a solid job with the DL. He should have been DC after Guidry left. jmo

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: ThunderCat98

Offline whf

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Street and Morrison both, and I'd look at giving Mike Bartrum an actual coaching position as well.

Although Morrison's linebackers are struggling this year, last year proved he knows how to coach LBs, and his striving to find the right guys right now is also indicative that he "gets it".

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Online BigJimslade

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • New coach can pull a Primetime.  Recruit new team.  Smart move.

Yeah that?s working really well for Sanders
    He is a joke

Online BigJimslade

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You are speculating the Herd finishes 6-6
    And then speculating Huff leaves
    And so on

HerdFans.com

Offline parshall2marshall

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see what some of you guys are hinting at... throwing money at a problem is not the Marshall Way. It has worked out for us sometimes, i.e. one of the last DC's Doc had, and definitely Guidry, But, just like WITH high salaries ... going on the cheap doesn't always work out.

I was just thinking if a personable guy like Leftwich was the HC and with $500K to spend on each coordinator ( not special teams, although critical as well ) we'd probably be in good shape in a couple of seasons.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline MUonium

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

nobody knows for certain if your first sentence would be true or even close

there's a difference inheriting a decent roster as opposed to a near-total rebuild (if your very first sentence rings true).  can we live with a coach who has a good running start but gets worse -or- a coach who has a bad running start but slowly gets better, say in year 3?

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah that?s working really well for Sanders
    He is a joke

He's turned a 1-11 team into a 4-4 team that might go to a bowl playing in the toughest conference in the country.

I'm not even a Deion fan, but that's more of a success story than a joke. He'll probably have an even better team next year.

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's turned a 1-11 team into a 4-4 team that might go to a bowl playing in the toughest conference in the country.

I'm not even a Deion fan, but that's more of a success story than a joke. He'll probably have an even better team next year.

Yea he's a joke lol. I'd love to have that "joke" at Marshall

This Fing little jimmy putana is an arse clown

Offline theherd011569

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I rarely post (once a month, maybe) but this is really striking a nerve with this thread. NIL has made it possible to turn a program in one year. I think fewer would leave than many believe because they would have to sit a year after coming in as a portal transfer. If you keep what you have because you fear what may be, we will be stuck in mediocrity. I do not endorse or enjoy someone losing a job but I must make those decisions myself in the real world of business and I can tell you this, it is always worse by waiting to do what you know should be done now. Not having a backup ready (5 QB?s in that room and not a single one knows the playbook after 1 1/2 years???-and the starter told you he wasn?t coming out of the game, what???) and the crazy comments about ?children in harms way? (don?t we have medical personnel telling the coach who is healthy enough to play?) are just 2 indictments on this staff that they are not rooted in reality. Cover ups for poor coaching on a weekly basis. Huff seems more than capable of putting all his eggs in a P5 victory every year but has no desire to really make this football team great every week?can?t explain it or reason it out but we can all see it with our own eyes. And this has nothing to do with booing the players or not rooting for Marshall. I have been a fan of MU since I was 6 years old and my Dad took me to see a game at Fairfield, so please don?t preach about being a true fan?and I give to the BG. It will be worse the longer we prolong the inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, herd33, ed swain, herdfifteen, MUonium, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline theherd011569

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I rarely post (once a month, maybe) but this is really striking a nerve with this thread. NIL has made it possible to turn a program in one year. I think fewer would leave than many believe because they would have to sit a year after coming in as a portal transfer. If you keep what you have because you fear what may be, we will be stuck in mediocrity. I do not endorse or enjoy someone losing a job but I must make those decisions myself in the real world of business and I can tell you this, it is always worse by waiting to do what you know should be done now. Not having a backup ready (5 QB?s in that room and not a single one knows the playbook after 1 1/2 years???-and the starter told you he wasn?t coming out of the game, what???) and the crazy comments about ?children in harms way? (don?t we have medical personnel telling the coach who is healthy enough to play?) are just 2 indictments on this staff that they are not rooted in reality. Cover ups for poor coaching on a weekly basis. Huff seems more than capable of putting all his eggs in a P5 victory every year but has no desire to really make this football team great every week?can?t explain it or reason it out but we can all see it with our own eyes. And this has nothing to do with booing the players or not rooting for Marshall. I have been a fan of MU since I was 6 years old and my Dad took me to see a game at Fairfield, so please don?t preach about being a true fan?and I give to the BG. It will be worse the longer we prolong the inevitable.

And meant that the portal and not necessarily NIL has made rebuilding quicker at a school such as MU.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah that?s working really well for Sanders
    He is a joke

Improved team unlike the Herd this year

Online BigJimslade

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's turned a 1-11 team into a 4-4 team that might go to a bowl playing in the toughest conference in the country.

Them being better has nothing to do with Sanders?s coaching ability

It was other players who wanted to be part of the crazines( sons, Hunter ..et Al

Offline gochneaur645

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Them being better has nothing to do with Sanders?s coaching ability

It was other players who wanted to be part of the crazines( sons, Hunter ..et Al

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make now.

Most of the job of a college head coach is recruiting talent, and that's what he's done for Colorado. He also took a Jackson State team that had been going 3-8 and 4-7 for several years and went 23-3 in his two years there.

Recruiting good assistant coaches is important too. Deion got one of the best young offensive minds in the game to leave his head coaching position at Kent State to come be his OC.

That's the area Huff has failed at the most imo. Trickett, Legg, and Semore have mostly been disasters.

Offline Big City

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Magic 8 ball says... not likely
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2, ThunderCat98

HerdFans.com

Online MicDrass1

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Portal player can only head back to previous school if leaves. 

Offline wasbarryb

• [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Portal player can only head back to previous school if leaves.

Even if he sits out a year?

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are speculating the Herd finishes 6-6
    And then speculating Huff leaves
    And so on

You mean the season isn't over and we aren't 6-6?  Man, you're brilliant.  You add so much insight to this page.  I can't believe we made it until you showed up.

HerdFans.com