Author Topic: Soccer tactics question  (Read 509 times)

Offline coloradoherd

Soccer tactics question
« on: October 31, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t know much about the X?s and O?s of soccer, but I?m trying to learn. I had a thought on our recent soccer woes and I?d like to bounce it off you guys that know more.

It seems that our team has a few characteristics that snowball badly whenever we get behind. In other words, it seems that our team is not really built to come from behind.

Against both UK and WVU, we got behind early due to sloppy play in front of our goal. Then, particularly against UK, it seemed after that they basically parked the bus and we couldn?t really get through their defense.

When I watch the games on TV, the commentators talk constantly about how we are ?patient? on offense and how we build from the back, with all the passing back and forth with the GK, etc. It seems this both creates those risks leading to the early goals for the opponent, and then this ?patient? approach also does not work when the other side switches to a more defensive alignment. I read somewhere that when your opponent parks the bus, you need to attack with more tempo to counter it. But we don?t really seem to do that, hence our ?patient? offense. Is this a reasonable assessment?

Earlier in the season, I seem to remember more long passes up the field leading to quick strikes, but not so much in our 2 losses. Just wondering what?s going on with that, if it?s a matter of certain players being out, etc.

The following users thanked this post: jsbowen

HerdFans.com

Soccer tactics question
    « on: October 31, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline CoachMaclid

Re: Soccer tactics question
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll take a quick stab at this one from what I perceive...

I somewhat disagree that we aren't built for coming from behind (afterall, we are #2 in the nation in goals scored and tied #1 in points earned).  If you watched the Brazil trip, or as we demonstrated in the first 5 games of the season, we can press and attack and score quickly.  We substitute much more frequently early in the year, and I think we played to the advantage of having a deep bench.  I think the decision to play a slower possession game is more driven by load management than anything else.  One of the critiques of NCAA soccer (and why there is that 21st century proposal) is that (counting exhibitions and conference tournament), we'll play 23 games in roughly 90 days.  That's kind of a brutal pace.  I think we've had a conscious decision once we got some early injuries from AGP and such that we were going to slow down the game, limit opponent chances and reduce the wear on us.  Our GK has been wearing a left knee brace most of the year, Duggan is currently not 100% and has reduced minutes the last 3 games, Silva's had been out most of October, AGP is getting back into the grove from his 6 week absence...

The national tournament is 5 must win games full go.  We've put ourselves in a position where we don't really even have to grind the conference tournament - we're probably hosting all the way to the College Cup, so with at least one trophy already in hand, I think we're really only conserving ourselves and preparing to go out all for that 5-game sprint for the national title, and that's where I think you will see us back to playing more aggressively (although possession has always been a key to our gameplay).

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, sardistim, Stripeshrt, jsbowen, chris88, ThunderCat98

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 10:52:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As long as the pitch isn't soaked, our strategy has been proven to work well. Have there been careless passes leading to opponents goals ? Yes, of course. But we are hyper-aware now not to make them. The first time we got behind, before the WVU game anyway, we equalized within 5 minutes of clock time. I don't see a problem there. We've been going for the long ball / over the top a few more times than previously it seems lately as well.

To my untrained eye, Perotta has been nothing short of fantastic. While a late, inopportune goal can always derail a championship run, one has to like our chances. More of our goals have come in the 2nd half when we are obviously wearing teams down. With no possibility of a tie ( for advancement purposes ) in the post season, OT games simply must favor our depth. And I believe we have some of the strongest legs in the country when it comes to PK's to decide a match.

On paper, one has to like our chances. On the pitch, we shall see.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, carolinaherdfan, sardistim, whf, jsbowen, mu79grad, chris88

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 07:50:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't get to watch the WVU game because I was traveling, but I would put the Kentucky loss squarely on Dggan's injury. We're a much different team when he's not anchoring the back line and directing the flow of the game. For a team that plays from the back, you need a CB that has good range in his passing game. Duggan does. I'm not saying the other CB options are poor, because they aren't. But when Duggan is out, that's a massive physical presence AND a loss of passing options. Most likely pro-ready player on this team, imo.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 09:16:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didn't get to watch the WVU game because I was traveling, but I would put the Kentucky loss squarely on Dggan's injury. We're a much different team when he's not anchoring the back line and directing the flow of the game. For a team that plays from the back, you need a CB that has good range in his passing game. Duggan does. I'm not saying the other CB options are poor, because they aren't. But when Duggan is out, that's a massive physical presence AND a loss of passing options. Most likely pro-ready player on this team, imo.

Grassie might want to consider holding Duggan out the first game of the conference tournament. Duggan has been pretty banged up lately.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, svherd

Offline overherd1

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 09:25:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Duggan is very important to the overall success of this team.  Some have said he was pretty gimpy against South Carolina.  Hard to say what is the best way to handle his injury.  The suggestion to hold him out the first game might be best.  I do think he is an important part of this teams success moving.  Sure hope he heals up quickly.

The following users thanked this post: Skidude, sardistim, parshall2marshall, ThunderCat98

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 09:45:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Duggan is very important to the overall success of this team.  Some have said he was pretty gimpy against South Carolina.  Hard to say what is the best way to handle his injury.  The suggestion to hold him out the first game might be best.  I do think he is an important part of this teams success moving.  Sure hope he heals up quickly.

We are deep at CB

Amaro and Fujita played well against South Carolina

Plus Bamford and Seidu are good as well
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 10:16:02 AM by Garbanjo »

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 10:02:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we beat ODU, we'll need to be 100% healthy for the next one. All hands on deck. JMU and UK are peaking right now.
    Really encouraged the way we played in the second half against USC.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: sardistim, parshall2marshall

Offline sardistim

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 11:33:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Grassie might want to consider holding Duggan out the first game of the conference tournament. Duggan has been pretty banged up lately.

Ditto on that idea.  We don't need him for ODU.  And if we get a lead in the semis, I'd rest him as much as possible.  The NCAAs will be only one game a week (since we get a first round bye) until the Final Four.  That will help.

Duggan is essential to winning a championship.

The following users thanked this post: luckytoes99, overherd1, ThunderCat98

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 07:47:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Conference defensive POY! Thought this was worth a bump.

The following users thanked this post: sardistim

Offline chris88

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2023, 09:06:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WVU is well coached and had a great plan for attacking us. They were better in almost all aspects of the game. That being said at least two of their goals were entirely preventable but they also could have had a couple more. On offense we generated enough chances for a normal match.  A great play by WVU at end of 1st half and a couple very near misses early in 2nd half sort of took our chance to win away. Tip your hat.

The UK game was a different animal. When you are struggling like UK has to score most of year and you are not winning, you must focus on defense first and that what UK started doing. Their defense vs us was excellent.  In fact they did not give up a goal vs us, WVU, and Ga Southern in last three matches. In a way they have been like our Natl champ team lately: smother you on defense and take advantage of the few opportunities on offense. Their GK has been outstanding as well. I agree with Duggan they probably don't score and it's a draw. We had zero shots on goal in 1st half but really controlled pace and play in 2nd half. A combo of not being entirely connected on offense and a strong layered defense by UK kept us from getting good looks for most part.

The other guys are good at CB but Duggan is very good minus the WVU game. And you can't discount communication and experience as Fajita and Amaro have and will make more mistakes. Even vs SC we had some mistakes back there that led to some good chances and Perotta stepped up and SC misplayed a couple of chances.

When we are healthy it gives Grassie so much more flexibility in the lineups and enhances his ability to make changes based on opponent and strategy. If Duggan gets back to health and we can work out the kinks on defense we are more than good enough to beat anyone but also could be beat by many teams. On offense we have 4-5 guys that can finish and that is rare...but they need to be healthy and get back in sync with each other. So overall I don't think it's strategy as much as health, fundamentals, and cohesiveness. We are back at #1 in RPI but not likely we stay there as Notre Dame will play top 20 games all the way through ACC tourney where they have home field advantage until champ game.

The regular season is a grind as stated above. No team is immune to lapses in play. Hopefully we can get healthy and locked in for a nice run in postseason.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: whf, jsbowen

HerdFans.com

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2023, 09:06:11 AM »