Author Topic: Huff Hopes to Turn It Around  (Read 1341 times)

Offline HerdEcon

Huff Hopes to Turn It Around
« on: November 02, 2023, 08:17:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • vs App State.  I hope the team turns it around too.  Playing for a winning record and bowl now. 

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/11/02/struggling-marshall-hoping-to-start-turnaround-at-appalachian-state/

A couple of the lines from the article that stuck out to me...

"Marshall has struggled in large part from a combination of injuries, poor play and inexperience." 
    I don't know whether that is a statement from Huff or the person that wrote the article.

"Marshall coach Charles Huff frustrations of Herd fans who have been quite vocal on social media about coaching and playing performances in October." 
    If Huff would be more open perhaps fans wouldn't be so frustrated.  Fans expectations would be more in line with performance on the field.

I didn't see anywhere in the article where Huff acknowledged that the coaching staff needs to do a better job preparing the team, play calling, or anything else.  Maybe I missed it.   

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Lord Haw-Haw

HerdFans.com

Huff Hopes to Turn It Around
    « on: November 02, 2023, 08:17:55 AM »

Online muherd34

Re: Huff Hopes to Turn It Around
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 08:23:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • vs App State.  I hope the team turns it around too.  Playing for a winning record and bowl now. 

https://wvmetronews.com/2023/11/02/struggling-marshall-hoping-to-start-turnaround-at-appalachian-state/

"Marshall has struggled in large part from a combination of injuries, poor play and inexperience." 
    I don't know whether that is a statement from Huff or the person that wrote the article.

"Marshall coach Charles Huff frustrations of Herd fans who have been quite vocal on social media about coaching and playing performances in October." 
    If Huff would be more open perhaps fans wouldn't be so frustrated.  Fans expectations would be more in line with performance on the field.

I didn't see anywhere in the article where Huff acknowledged that the coaching staff needs to do a better job preparing the team, play calling, or anything else.  Maybe I missed it.

In his pre game presser he says it's everyone's fault, including himself and the coaches.  He actually took the time to say that when he says "we didn't execute"  he means the whole team from the Head coach to the water boy.  I call bs, he is feeling the heat and is seeing that everyone is jumping off the bus and he is trying ti smooth things over.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, HerdEcon

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 08:31:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In his pre game presser he says it's everyone's fault, including himself and the coaches.  He actually took the time to say that when he says "we didn't execute"  he means the whole team from the Head coach to the water boy.  I call bs, he is feeling the heat and is seeing that everyone is jumping off the bus and he is trying ti smooth things over.

I agree, it like when Dan has a press conference after a lost. He said he tells the players what to do and they don't it. It apparent Dan is saying its not my fault. I wonder if it is a Marshall coaches' thing?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, muherd34

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 08:32:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In his pre game presser he says it's everyone's fault, including himself and the coaches.  He actually took the time to say that when he says "we didn't execute"  he means the whole team from the Head coach to the water boy.  I call bs, he is feeling the heat and is seeing that everyone is jumping off the bus and he is trying ti smooth things over.

You may be exactly correct 34 but I will at least give him credit for saying it.  To my recollection, it's the first time, since he's been here, that I've detected any sentiment of that sort.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, muherd34, overherd1

Online bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 08:33:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have never felt Huff was short on accountability. Performance, sometimes, but not accountability. Just win then no one has to place the blame for a loss.

Online herd2win

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 08:52:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hope is not a strategy.  He better have a better plan than to "hope" we play better.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, HerdEcon, Lord Haw-Haw

Online elginherd

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 09:10:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think that the 1st statement is the writer's and it is kind of a poorly constructed statement. It should be 'poor play, possibly caused by injury & inexperience'.

"Marshall coach Charles Huff frustrations of Herd fans..."
    A verb was left out, maybe 'feels' or 'understands'?
    I don't believe that we'd be much happier if Huff was more open.

Lastly, Huff might have mentioned the lack of effective preparation and those statements were not included.

Metronews isn't exactly the Wall Street Journal in terms of reporting & the quality of writing and editing.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, HerdEcon, MUther, Lord Haw-Haw

Online svherd

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 09:59:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any improvement this program makes going forward will start with a new OC and DC for 2024. Huff needs to focus on getting some seasoned assistants in here. That is, if he is around for 2024. Which I think he will be.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 01:21:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This team can potentially finish the season on a winning note. Let?s not down them with our expectations. If you?re wanting them to not be successful stop criticizing and let them fail on their own. Another thing I see is Huff is building against images of our past glory which we have not had for sometime. This is new for a lot of well meaning fans. He is a winner and we will be again. Marshall is very unique and different place and region. We struggle mightily for resources against more in the political world of WV. Imagine with WVU funds where we would be and for all that our representation is in most arenas better than WVU. Life is most difficult at the best of times! Being loyal fans is being in control of our emotions and reactions to our beloved Herd wins and losses. We have one of the best reputations in College Sports then, we should be more supportive while our Sports teams rebuilds itself.

Online biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 01:33:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

LOL, I don't know if Huff said this or if the writer is embellishing. But of all the things for a HC on a 4 game losing skid with no back up plan should be concerned about... this ain't one of them.

The following users thanked this post: Thundering In MD, HerdEcon

Online svherd

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 02:18:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LOL, I don't know if Huff said this or if the writer is embellishing. But of all the things for a HC on a 4 game losing skid with no back up plan should be concerned about... this ain't one of them.

I'd say it's the writers comment. Huff may have said something about fans not being happy and he ran with it.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline MUther

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 02:21:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LOL, I don't know if Huff said this or if the writer is embellishing. But of all the things for a HC on a 4 game losing skid with no back up plan should be concerned about... this ain't one of them.

Yup.  Focus on the team and the fan stuff will take care of itself.  If he does want to stay here, he should probably be compiling a detailed plan on what it will take to fix this, what he needs to make it happen, and the expectations once the plan is enacted and why.   Not for us to see, but for his bosses. Going to have to get trust back after a monumental slide once we started playing teams with a pulse.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 02:21:28 PM »

Online muherd34

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2023, 02:25:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You may be exactly correct 34 but I will at least give him credit for saying it.  To my recollection, it's the first time, since he's been here, that I've detected any sentiment of that sort.

I do also give him credit for saying it.  I just believe he said it because he has his ear to the ground and sees the rumblings on message boards.  Him not taking responsibility for our teams poor performance has been a major discussion on all of our message boards and social media platforms.  But I do agree either way it is nice to hear.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online Green Dog

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2023, 02:25:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From his pressers I get the feeling he spends some time on twitter and possibly the two forums.
    He's made reference to being criticized several times lately. I'm not among those who think he needs fired
    at this moment but he certainly deserves some criticism. Lets see how his third year plays out.

I hope he wins out and gets better assistant coaches here to help him next year. I think this is critical for his future
    as a HC. He clearly needs the help.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd, muherd34, HerdEcon, MicDrass1

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2023, 03:15:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need him to play a QB that can threaten with the pass.  Passing is more important than running.  A scrambler who can work the pocket and throw from a variety of platforms is a QB.  A runner that is inaccurate is not going to work.  Cato was a scrambler not a duel threat. 

Offline Bob25526

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2023, 04:06:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a joke

The following users thanked this post: Lord Haw-Haw

Online BigJimslade

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2023, 05:46:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Your implication is that Huff doesn?t blame himself and show any contrition?. I think you are nitpicking
    and speculating 

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 12:24:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have heard Coach Huff take responsibility for losing in press conferences. 

Although the whole "Marshall Beaters" term he loves to use, puts the blame on the players exclusively and disregards his coaching responsibilities and involvement in the losses. 

At some point, if you have enough "Marshall Beaters", the coaching staff needs to put a renewed focus on coaching these players to not commit penalties and have drops.  If players can't stop committing penalties and dropping TDs/critical 3rd down passes, then you should not play and possibly won't have a scholarship next season. 
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 05:41:09 AM by Johnnyherd »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline goherd24

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2023, 05:35:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd say it's the writers comment. Huff may have said something about fans not being happy and he ran with it.

Huff has taken many stabs at fans that are critical of him. He doesn't handle it well at all. Little passive aggressive sarcastic comments he sticks in here and there.

He is in over his head. The first time he tried to ever take responsibility was in the pregame presser this week, after he melted down in the post game and he tried to walk it back, then still threw jabs at the players lol.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

Offline goherd24

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2023, 05:40:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Need him to play a QB that can threaten with the pass.  Passing is more important than running.  A scrambler who can work the pocket and throw from a variety of platforms is a QB.  A runner that is inaccurate is not going to work.  Cato was a scrambler not a duel threat.

Cato ran for 14 tds and 800 yards his last two seasons, while passing for 7800 yards and 79 touchdowns. That's about as dual threat as you could ask for and have an actual quarter back that can throw the ball.

Think about that. 40 tds passing. Cam has 7 in 8 games lol

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdfan129, Lord Haw-Haw

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2023, 06:41:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff has taken many stabs at fans that are critical of him. He doesn't handle it well at all. Little passive aggressive sarcastic comments he sticks in here and there.

He is in over his head. The first time he tried to ever take responsibility was in the pregame presser this week, after he melted down in the post game and he tried to walk it back, then still threw jabs at the players lol.

My what a different tone you take on the two coaches with about the same winning % lol!!!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: November 03, 2023, 07:57:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My what a different tone you take on the two coaches with about the same winning % lol!!!

He's boys with DD

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2023, 07:57:01 AM »

Online girthyherdon

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2023, 08:39:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huff has taken many stabs at fans that are critical of him. He doesn't handle it well at all. Little passive aggressive sarcastic comments he sticks in here and there.
    🙄 your boy Dan does the same thing but not a peep from you about him.

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline goherd24

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2023, 09:07:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 🙄 your boy Dan does the same thing but not a peep from you about him.

It's not nearly the same at all lol. But lord in heaven, keep bringing up basketball in football related threads.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2023, 09:07:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My what a different tone you take on the two coaches with about the same winning % lol!!!

Look in the mirror cupcake.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2023, 09:07:59 AM »