Author Topic: SIAP: Danny L-M postgame presser  (Read 966 times)

Offline parshall2marshall

SIAP: Danny L-M postgame presser
« on: November 02, 2023, 05:26:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great Bobby Knight story !

The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

HerdFans.com

SIAP: Danny L-M postgame presser
    « on: November 02, 2023, 05:26:27 PM »

Offline mu79grad

Re: SIAP: Danny L-M postgame presser
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 06:13:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny talks again about his philosophy of not putting all that much importance on the regular season.  He said, sort of half-heartedly, that it would be nice to win the Sun Belt regular season title but it's more important for him to have his team ready to peak come conference tournament time.  I see his point but why not place an emphasis on winning the tournament championship AND the conference regular season title? 

He does tell a couple of good Bobby Knight stories as Danny said that Coach Knight was a friend of his. 

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 06:15:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, GH35 had already posted a link to the interview here. But still a nice connection to Bobby Knight.

https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=116973.25
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 06:21:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny talks again about his philosophy of not putting all that much importance on the regular season.  He said, sort of half-heartedly, that it would be nice to win the Sun Belt regular season title but it's more important for him to have his team ready to peak come conference tournament time.  I see his point but why not place an emphasis on winning the tournament championship AND the conference regular season title? 

He does tell a couple of good Bobby Knight stories as Danny said that Coach Knight was a friend of his.

Well then he has failed miserably at that the last 2 years. They haven't won a tournament game for 3 years.

The following users thanked this post: ed swain, scope58

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 06:24:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, GH35 had already posted a link to the interview here. But still a nice connection to Bobby Knight.

https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/index.php?topic=116973.25

I apologize for not seeing 35's earlier post.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 06:36:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is a great Bobby Knight story. I can see Knight taking over a class like that especially something related to the social studies field as Knight knew a lot on history.

I give credit to Dan. I love listening to him. He is great to talk basketball. He also has run a very good program at Marshall. His kids represent the school well. I am also glad Dan said Knight got his players to graduate and looked after them beyond basketball. Knight has his critics. But his graduation rate was excellent.

Let's see what happens. I am excited to see this team. I can't watch them in practices. But I am really ready to see them play.

I am looking forward to an even more wide open, fast-paced attack. If they can move that ball with the pass, then good things can happen. Fricks will thrive much better with his athletic skill set in a fast paced attack than playing in the half-court set. Conner seems to really have good court vision. I am anxious to see him play. I have not seen Martin play yet. But if he can get up and down the floor as quick as some have said, but still give us a banger on the boards, then that will help.

Voyles seems ready to go. I am sure he will keep getting better. Curfman losing weight will help too. Crawford seems to possess some nice skills.

I agree with Dan. I think this team will grow as the season progresses and he is right that there will be ups and downs. I have to keep some perspective on that. Dan seems high on Nutter. I hope OAK can be consistent from game to game. In order to succeed, he has to be a consistent performer.

Queen's lost Kenny Dye who had 24 points and 10 assists last year against us. They do return the big man that hurt us on the block during the last eight minutes of the game. They also return the other guard McKee who had a nice game against us. They brought in a mixture of JUCOs and freshmen. Key is not let the ball get driven deep into the paint on us. That is what Queens did the last eight minutes last year.

Like someone said: just win! I am truly hoping for the best on Monday night. I am glad I finally get to see this team.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, horsrman, wlf, REL70

Offline goherd24

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 09:14:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well then he has failed miserably at that the last 2 years. They haven't won a tournament game for 3 years.

1 game away from your covered regular season title last year and you were blasting them every step of the way. Horrible herd fan

The following users thanked this post: thunderingon, usedcars1, horsrman

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 10:50:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1 game away from your covered regular season title last year and you were blasting them every step of the way. Horrible herd fan

Yep when the started losing to ULMonroe at home and was on life support at home against Georgia Southern until all of their guards fouled out and they couldn't get the ball up the court in the final minute. Not to mention the total collapse at ODU and then another first game tournament meltdown. Yep, I had just about had it by then. Then you add his lazy recruiting and allowing a third of his team sit the bench for 4-5 years that can't produce. And not to mention the arms crossed, spectating instead of coaching on game day. Oh and one more thing. It's getting old when he continues talking about how all the teams we play are old and men and we seem to always be young and boys. Yep those are the things that finally did it for me and I'm sure there are a lot of others that feel the same. He is a one trick pony. Just let it fly on game day any time and from anywhere. Defense and rebounding? Ahh who needs that crap?

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, parshall2marshall, ed swain, scope58

Offline goherd24

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 06:17:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Yep when the started losing to ULMonroe at home and was on life support at home against Georgia Southern until all of their guards fouled out and they couldn't get the ball up the court in the final minute. Not to mention the total collapse at ODU and then another first game tournament meltdown. Yep, I had just about had it by then. Then you add his lazy recruiting and allowing a third of his team sit the bench for 4-5 years that can't produce. And not to mention the arms crossed, spectating instead of coaching on game day. Oh and one more thing. It's getting old when he continues talking about how all the teams we play are old and men and we seem to always be young and boys. Yep those are the things that finally did it for me and I'm sure there are a lot of others that feel the same. He is a one trick pony. Just let it fly on game day any time and from anywhere. Defense and rebounding? Ahh who needs that crap?

(bleep). You started your dan hate train well before we lost to ODU for the title, or in the tournament. You hated them, then supported them, then started hating on then about 8 games in when dan kicked you out of practice lol. And you never stopped since. Relentless, silly ass hatred and rooting against the herd because of your vendetta against the most accomplished coach we've had in the past 40 years. Averaging a top 4 finish, with our only ncaa win, only conference title, in my lifetime, and a heck of a role model for the young men coming through marshall.

Will we be good this season? I don't know. Is the expectation a title? Yes. If we lose in the first round again and otherwise don't have a competitive team, is it Dan's time to go? Yes, i believe so. But he doesn't deserve, and our team doesn't deserve you constantly being so damn negative about everything you can, every step of the way. I've never hoped a herd "fan" would stay home and not come, but i do hope you do. Our players deserve better than someone actively rooting against them so they can pound their chest on a message board.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, thunderingon, horsrman

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 06:34:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • (bleep). You started your dan hate train well before we lost to ODU for the title, or in the tournament. You hated them, then supported them, then started hating on then about 8 games in when dan kicked you out of practice lol. And you never stopped since. Relentless, silly ass hatred and rooting against the herd because of your vendetta against the most accomplished coach we've had in the past 40 years. Averaging a top 4 finish, with our only ncaa win, only conference title, in my lifetime, and a heck of a role model for the young men coming through marshall.

Will we be good this season? I don't know. Is the expectation a title? Yes. If we lose in the first round again and otherwise don't have a competitive team, is it Dan's time to go? Yes, i believe so. But he doesn't deserve, and our team doesn't deserve you constantly being so damn negative about everything you can, every step of the way. I've never hoped a herd "fan" would stay home and not come, but i do hope you do. Our players deserve better than someone actively rooting against them so they can pound their chest on a message board.

Well first of all I never got kicked out of practice and why don't you put money on that instead of running your mouth? And second, you don't have to worry about me staying home because that is exactly what I'll be doing until he is gone or decide to try and make his teams the best they can be by recruiting a full team for a change. But I gave up on that since he is almost 80 and doesn't have the energy to do it and is to stubborn. And where do you get an average top 4 finish? He is averaging a 6.5 place finish. But nice try!!!
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 06:52:27 AM by herdorbust2 »

The following users thanked this post: ed swain

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 07:25:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

If your interpretation is correct, I guess he treats the regular season as exhibition games? I would think a coach would  want his players to win every game. Maybe his coaching philosophy is why he complains the that players don't listen to him? Maybe they don't respect him? He seems to only recruit projects who for the most part are not recruited by peer programs. He is in charge and should always demand that his players give effort for every game. Why should MU charge money for regular season games when Dan doesn't care about winning.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 07:40:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1 game away from your covered regular season title last year and you were blasting them every step of the way. Horrible herd fan

After blowing the championship, be gets beat in the first round by a much lower seeded team. Talk about chocking away the season, he just blew it big time. He couldn't coach the team to a win when it counted at crunch time. I guess you have never heard the expression, We Play For Championships? His job is to win it, not to come in at second place (I believe his average finish is 4th place?).
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 07:43:44 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 07:40:52 AM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 09:10:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Well first of all I never got kicked out of practice and why don't you put money on that instead of running your mouth? And second, you don't have to worry about me staying home because that is exactly what I'll be doing until he is gone or decide to try and make his teams the best they can be by recruiting a full team for a change. But I gave up on that since he is almost 80 and doesn't have the energy to do it and is to stubborn. And where do you get an average top 4 finish? He is averaging a 6.5 place finish. But nice try!!!

Math probably is hard for you, i can imagine. And good to know I won't have to share the same air as you.

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2023, 09:22:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Math probably is hard for you, i can imagine. And good to know I won't have to share the same air as you.

Well let's see your numbers? Or do you just make stuff up?

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2023, 09:36:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Math probably is hard for you, i can imagine. And good to know I won't have to share the same air as you.

Here let me help you.
    =60 divided by9= 6.6 avg finish.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, ed swain

Online herdfifteen

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2023, 10:48:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Here let me help you.
    Thank you. Simple math isn't it? We just gave this coach a three year extension. Facts apparently get in the way for some people, I appreciate that you follow up conversations with solid information.

The following users thanked this post: scope58, herdorbust2

Online herd2win

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2023, 01:08:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Extended Dan meant MU basketball is like a club sport at the YMCA.  Everybody is just having fun and hanging out. 

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen, miltonherdfan, scope58, herdorbust2

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 01:18:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Here let me help you.

So not only is the average NOT 4th? he has only finished in the Top 4 twice. A 3rd place finish and a 4th place finish. We haven?t even finished as runner up. Dang those numbers are eye opening for anyone who is willing to look at them with open eyes.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline whf

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2023, 08:00:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So not only is the average NOT 4th? he has only finished in the Top 4 twice. A 3rd place finish and a 4th place finish. We haven?t even finished as runner up. Dang those numbers are eye opening for anyone who is willing to look at them with open eyes.
    Now now, let's not start looking at facts; we'll get confused and waylaid in the weeds of truth.

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2023, 09:52:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Here let me help you.

I just looked up our conference season finishes and it doesn't match this. I'm not sure what those numbers represent... maybe our tournament finish? According to Sports Reference history it says this...

This comes out to an avg finish of 4.6 place.

I'm for moving on to a new coach, just trying to get correct numbers out there.

Edit... Bust corrected me this appears to be our East standing only. I was wrong.
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:09:28 PM by HoPPy785 »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2023, 09:59:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just looked up our conference season finishes and it doesn't match this. I'm not sure what those numbers represent... maybe our tournament finish? According to Sports Reference history it says this...

Are you counting just the East division those 2 years? You have to count the record in the East and west.  I suggest you go back thru the years again and take a look.
    https://conferenceusa.com/standings.aspx?path=Mbball

Online HoPPy785

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2023, 10:07:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Are you counting just the East division those 2 years? You have to count the record in the East and west.  I suggest you go back thru the years again and take a look.
    https://conferenceusa.com/standings.aspx?path=Mbball

I wasn't counting anything. Just looked what the history said, but now that you point it out, it appears it was listing our East finish. Guess I shouldn't trust that site fully. I modified the post to say I had it wrong.
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:09:44 PM by HoPPy785 »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2023, 10:07:50 PM »

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2023, 10:15:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wasn't counting anything. Just looked what the history said, but now that you point it out, it appears it was listing our East finish. Guess I shouldn't trust that site fully. I modified the post to say I had it wrong.

Appreciate it. Thanks.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2023, 10:40:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just looked up our conference season finishes and it doesn't match this. I'm not sure what those numbers represent... maybe our tournament finish? According to Sports Reference history it says this...

Those numbers are misleading unless you give detail and who had tie breakers

In 2022-2023, we finished tied at 2, but Lafayette had tie breaker, in Sun Belt tournament we were #3
    In 2021-2022, we were last in the division (7) (cusa played divisions that season) and came into the cusa tournament as #12 overall
    In 2020-2021, we finished 3rd in the division (cusa played divisions that season) and came into the cusa tournament as #6 overall
    In 2019-2020, we finished 6 (cusa didn't have divisions this season).
    In 2018-2019, we finished 6 (cusa did not have divisions this season).
    In 2017-2018, we finished at 4 in the standings (cusa didn't have divisions that season). Won the cusa tournament
    In 2016-2017, we finished at 6 (cusa didn't have divisions that season).
    In 2015-2016, we finished tied at 4 but ODU had tie breaker  (cusa didn't have divisions that season). In cusa tournament at 5
    In 2014-2015, we finished 12 (cusa didn't have divisions that season).

https://conferenceusa.com/standings.aspx?standings=22

From 2023 to 2015 final overall ratings with tie breakers and overall records with divisions combined when cusa played divisions

Total 60 divided by 9 season, average finish of 6.67.
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 10:44:12 PM by MUfan08 »

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2023, 10:42:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The average finish stat is multifaceted. You're using tiebreakers to get the average numbers on the finishes and that's fair. But not using the tiebreakers looks different, too.

W/o tiebreak:

Average: 5.4

It's not significantly better but it is better. If you throw out year 1, which we all know was really not much he could do with that roster, you get 4.75. 

I am not trying to dissuade the numbers above whatsoever. Simply adding a little context to those exact same numbers.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2023, 10:42:25 PM »